“Nice location, but that's about it”
Review of Sandy Hotel

Sandy Hotel
Brussels
“Nice location, but that's about it”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Well, I booked this place during my Easter holiday because I am on my own and other hotels were too expensive. Being near the Old Market was convenient and gave easy access to the minibuses which go all over, esp to Naama Bay. I liked being away from the hectic tourist scene in Naama Bay, however the choice of restaurants is a bit more limited. There's a money changer just next to Sandy Hotel which gives decent rates for all the currencies, which is useful.

The hotel itself was a big disappointment. The room was very basic and dark, with old furnishings, old curtains, and a bedspread which looked as though it had a history. When I saw a couple of cockroaches in my room, I asked them to spray, which they did. There was a tiny TV that had terrible reception and only Arabic channels, no cable. The air-con worked fine and there was a small fridge in the room, which was nice (plenty of little shops nearby to buy cold drinks, fruit, yoghurt, etc.) The night receptionist was a very friendly guy but spoke nearly no English. He tried though. The day receptionist propositioned me for a couple of days until I got so annoyed at his sexual innuendos that I reported him to the night receptionist; the following day he apologized and there were no more problems with him after that. Hardly any foreign tourists stay here; it's mostly Egyptians who are living there long or short-term. I would not say that this is a "dangerous" place to stay, but it isn't particularly comfortable or clean. I stayed there for 8 days and no one came in to clean or change sheets or towels unless I asked them to.

There's a swimming pool which looked OK but I didn't see anyone ever use it. WIFI only worked at the reception, not in the rooms, and I didn't even know about this until the day before I left. I paid around 22 euro a night (pre-booked via booking.com) but honestly speaking, that was far too much, especially considering the dismal tourism situation in Egypt at present. I was sure their hotel listing on booking.com said breakfast was included, but it wasn't. The locals must pay far less than foreigners. I decided the hotel in Naama Bay where I had stayed on previous visits was too expensive for me for a week, but when I stopped by there to say hello, the manager told me that if I came back next year, he would give me a room (including breakfast) for the same price I was paying at Sandy Hotel, which I'll definitely do!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Families
Couples
Business
  • Arabic first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Location is great. Hotel needs desperately renovation, but hotelroom was clean. But here is a horror story.
We, stayed there one night because we could not check in at Iberotel sooner and our hubbies stayed the night in cairo.
Indeed there were only locals and a silly receptionist who could not speak English but tried hard to be nice, actually just to ask you go out with him to the marina. Anyway, at 2 am some drunk guys came back to there room next to us and started fighting with eachoter but also banging at our door. They knew us women were there because they had seen us before. We were so shocked while they were very agressive, so we called up security, because the boys kept knocking on the door trying to force it. Security came up and ask us to open the door which we did not for safety sake. Than there came a woman asking us to open the door, but we did not either. We asked them to go away or we would call the police, so they went and they said they had moved the boys. The next morning the stupid receptionist called us to apologize about the boys 's behaviour. But he is crazy too, also had called our room several times wanting to take us out. Girls don't ever go there it is not safe for women.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank touristmaus

Travelers are raving about these Sharm El Sheikh hotels

County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Reception
On booking Sandy Hotel there was no comments about it, so we had many questiong in our minds. When we got there, a receptionist who has not idea about English greeted us. It was a nightmare for us because he reapeted our last word and say "yes" to whatever we said and insistently pretended as if he understood us well. However he even did not understand the online booking paper ... Later on he called another staff of the hotel who speaks English and give me the phone. He translated what I am saying to hotel reception. On the mornings there was the receptionist who can speak English therefore our problem of communication is ended. ( he was a helpful guy)

Internet
Fist day when we tried to connect to internet there was no signal, we complained about it and internet problem is solved next morning. By the way you can only connect to internet from pool area and it is not that fast but it works.

Location
The location of the hotel was really good, 1 minute walking to Bank of Misr, pharmacy ,Bassam Supermarket, green groceries, Excursion offices... etc. So it is not like an exile and you don`t have to struggle with Sharm taxi drivers to go out. Also there are blue microbusses goes to Naama bay ( 1 LE) from old market ( mainly used by locals).

Beach
Sandy hotel does not have any beach but there are public and private beaches within walking distance (5 -10 minutes). Also do not expect the water of the beach as blue because as it closed bay and water is not circulated the colour of the sea is greenish but still have many fishes and corals.

Swimming Pool
I do not recommend anyone swimming in the pool - it does not look hygienic.

Hotel Guests
Few days later I realized that Sandy Hotel is hotel of local people not tourists and I understand the reason why there are no reviews in English. Mainly domestic tourists are staying at Sandy Hotel.

Breakfast
I uploaded the photo of breakfast, it was not bad but not rich every day same things.

Rooms
Rooms were clean, we stayed there 7 nights and 4 days they cleaned it. The air
conditioner was working well. Also there isTV and fridge in the rooms.

Overall
Good location, Friendly Staff, Clean Rooms

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank visitor_26dub
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed September 8, 2010

There was no review about this hotel so we hesitated over whether to book it or not. The price was reasonable and the location was great so we booked it. When we arrived, a non-english speaker receptionist welcomed us. We had hard time to explain that we wanted to pay in cash and he shouln't take the money from our credit card. After some tense moments, he finally called a english speaker staff so we could manage our stay. There was no wireless signal first night but they said they would fix it tomorrow morning and they really did. The staff was friendly and rooms were clean. The breakfast was the same every day but not bad. The hotel is just next to the Old Market which is a good thing because you can find many markets and greengrocery. And it is really close to Public Beach and other beaches. The pool was very dirty with only local people swimming in it. It is far from Naama Bay but you can easily take the microbus or the taxi. While checking out, the receptionist tried to take the money of the internet but after we reminded him that it was free, there was no problem. We didn't see any tourist staying in the hotel other than us but locals was friendly. If you have a tight budget and you don't want to stay in a full board hotel, it is a really nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends