“Astonished at some of these bad reviews - you didnt pay for the Ritz so stop moaning when you don't get it.”
Review of Tiran Island Hotel

Tiran Island Hotel
Ranked #104 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed August 21, 2010

My friend and i stayed at this hotel back in May and whilst looking for another holiday on trip advisor i thought id be nosey and have a look back at this. It astonishes me at some of the bad reviews people put on here, for example - "my tv didnt work properly, no english channels (which they do) but in any case that's not a reason to rate the overall experience of a hotel as 'rubbish'; 'it was not a 5 star like London' - it's in frigin Sharm in Egypt and you likely got your deal of teletext so stop complaining.

My friend and i got a great deal for this hotel and were expecting the worst - when we arrived we were very pleasantly surprised. The rooms were spacious and cool, with ours looking out over the pool. The pool was clean, with great staff who were always happy to help out - for example, sometimes when we went down we couldnt get sunbeds together. We just asked the guys and they spent a few minutes finding us a space - no issue, no squabbles and plenty of smiles.

The food was, fresh, hot and plenty of it was tasty - perhaps repetitive but i've yet to travel to a hotel anywhere in the world, where it's not repetitive - what if it had a full a la carte menu for you to choose from - that would be repetitive after 5 days.

It's not in Sharm center so if you want a hotel in the center dont stay here. You can get a shuttle bus, which yes you have to pay for - why wouldnt you? It's was pittance. instead it's out on it's own with a great little snorkelling pier.

Overall, we found this place spotless, fun, great pool, modern and good staff (oh and there are plently of places to get water). Perfect for a chilled out week, reading trashy books, listening to music, drinking beer, snorkelling, swimming and soaking up the rays.
Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank LondonGuy1979
Write a ReviewReviews (1,775)

Reviewed August 20, 2010

I've been a guest at the TIRAN ISLAND HOTEL 3 times since may 2010 and I have to say, this visit has been the worst.

I fell in love with Egypt and the hotel on my first vist. I loved both the country and where I stayed so much, that just 4 days after returning from Egypt I had booked another holiday for 21 days but ended up extending my stay and was in Egypt for a month.

Upon arrival at the hotel I was informed by reception that there had been a power cut in the day and that when the electricity came back on, none of the fridges in the hotel rooms were working. I was told the problem was being dealt with and left it at that, but I arrived home yesterday and I can assure you that NOTHING was done at all.

I ended up having to make sure I had a plastic bag on me every night when I came back to the hotel so I could ask for ice. I placed drinks I bought from the super market in the bathroom sink and tipped the bag of ice in the sink to keep my drinks cool.

There were times during my 2wks stay that the bar didn't even have ice. It was ridiculous. I would have to go upstairs to the restuarant and ask for ice and even when it was given to me, it was done as if I was asking for the moon on a stick.

Power cuts seemed to keep happening and even the water went off. Luckily it happened an hr after my shower, but for anyone who was in the shower, washing their hair or about to shower, I felt sorry for them.

There's a lack of communication that goes on with staff too. They just don't bother to clear things up with each other.

I booked my hotel independantly as Thomas cook couldn't get me on a flight so I had to book everything separate.

I reserved my booking online using a credit card which of course was accepted.

When I tried to pay for my room when I arrived I was told it was fine as staff at the hotel know me well and trusted me, but just 3days later I was HOUNDED by staff to pay a deposit for the room.

I tried to pay over the phone to reception but was told I had to go and make the payment in person.

When I went to do this, there was a problem with the machine.

I had planned to go to the public beach in Naama bay and was leaving all my personal belongings in my room safe and wouldn't have my credit card with me. I told reception this and was reassured it was fine and told to enjoy my time at the beach.

When I got back to the hotel some hrs later, I didn't even have time to take off my sandles and sit down when my phone in the hotel room started ringing. it was reception ringing to remind me I hadn't paid for my room yet.

It was as if staff had followed me to the beach or were sitting in a bush waiting for me to get back. There's no way they would have known I was back to have called me so soon.

I thought this was really bad and could have been handled better.

I explained to reception that I went to make a payment that am but the machine wasn't working. All I got back in response was that the machine was now working and could I go and pay for my room.

Where the hell did they think I would go? I had only been there 3 days and it was my 3rd visit to both Egypt and the tiran island hotel. It's not as if it was my first time there.

The hotel taxes are a rip off. don't part with any money in any currency for a taxi. go outside and wait for a blue and white taxi.

from the hotel to naama bay, it costs no more than £30 egyptian pounds. if a taxi driver won't drop you to naama bay for that price, politely thank him and let him go. Another taxi will come along and gladly take you there, especially if he sees another driver being greedy.

If you're going to visit old market, from naama bay, it's £10 egyptian pounds. same rules apply. if the driver is greedy and demands more, thank him and let him go. it doesn't cost more so why should you pay more.

from the hotel to nabq, the cheapest I paid was £20 egyptian. don't pay more than £30 egyptian.

Despite the negative things that took place on my 3rd visit, I would still recommend this hotel to others.

I was out so often and for so long, that I didn't eat breakfast or lunch in the hotel, and I only ate dinner in the hotel once, but I would still pay for all inclusive as it's when you don't pay that you find yourself wanting the food and drink and then you have to pay extra for it.

The fridge not working really annoyed me. It was so hot and to keep walking around asking for bags of ice was something I could have done without.

As much as I love the hotel and most of the staff working there, I don't believe they did anything to fix the problem of the fridges not working and it's for that reason along with a few other issues I had this time around that I've decided to stay in another hotel.

I hope that for anyone who goes back, the fridges are working.

I hope anyone who goes has a great time, but I didn't have as much fun this time as I did on my first and second visit.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank hYpNoTiC
Reviewed August 20, 2010

this hotel was very clean 95% of the staff were great the pool was good volly ball and water arobicks twice a day pool staff were good give them an english pound a day and you would have your sunbeds saved for you. food very standard very much the same kind of thing each day very boring indeed. night time entertainment very bad animation team good they put a show on every night from 945 till 1030 only 45 minutes other than that there was an old guy singing the same old time songs over again every night could not take it after one week stayed in a lot at night. to go out at night you had to get a cab which are not cheap if you have to do it often they are 40le to napq which is very nice amd 50le to naama bay which is a nightmare do not recamend to go.the beach is not a sandy beach as said on web site the sun beds are on sand on rocks but the only way to the water is by the jetty as you are not allowed to walk on the corel and it is surrounded by corel.the beach bar is free for all inclusive but not the food.over all the hotel is ok but do need to sort the entertainment at night out this is a major problem for a lot of guests.also they tell you the bottled beer is sold out et around 8.30 but when you have to pay for it at 11pm it all of a sudden appears again.dont buy anything from the shops on resort as they ar half the price in the mini market 10 mins walk down the road.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank jan1964186338
Reviewed August 18, 2010

The reviews seem to have a split outlook, but I think it depends on what you are used to. My family usually go on self catering or half board, and this is the first time we have gone all inclusive, yet we paid no more for the holiday than we have done when travelling half-board, yet the hotel was still significantly better than previous holidays.

The hotel itself was very impressive, with a very elaborate entrance, and a clean pool. There are plenty of bars, so wherever you are you can get drinks, although the biggest range are from the lobby bar. From the pool bar and beach bar, the drinks are served in plastic cups, but this is unsurprising as if they served them in glass, quite a few would be dropped and then there would be glass everywhere. In the restaurant and lobby bar, the drinks are served in glasses of a good size. We never had a problem with the All Inclusive ending at 11pm, by that time we wanted to return to the rooms anyway, so we were up in time for breakfast the next day.

The food was in general hit and miss. In my opinion they provided good range of food every day, and the main food did change every day, although it followed a similar theme. Most of the time we could find food that was nice, and there was always a good range of cakes (or pastries at breakfast) and fruit on offer, although you can be never quite sure what they will taste like! Ice-cream was only available for two hours a day, and it was served in plastic cups, but there were four flavours, all of which were delicious.

The rooms were fine and clean. Everything except the fridge was working, and the rooms were clean. It does depend on the cleaner, as we had two, and in one the cleaner was very good, and he always left towel sculptures, and even cleaned out dirty glasses, although in the other room the cleaner was not so thorough. In general the staff had a very good sense of humour, and were very friendly, although some of the bar staff were not so friendly.

The beach is very close by, and there is also a regular shuttle bus if you can't bear the walk. The beach is not overly family friendly, and it is advisable to have flip flops or sandals to get to the pier but the snorkelling is incredible, and even if you don't get into the water you can see quite a lot of fish from the pier (I saw a manta ray standing on the pier). In the water there are quite a lot of fish, and occasionally a turtle appears. Unfortunately you can't just walk into the water, although this is an issue in most places you go in Sharm El Sheikh and it is the price paid for a stunning coral reed.

The location is not great for those wanting good nightlife, and there are a lot of empty buildings, as the area is still developing, but it is close to the beach. Na'ama bay is not to far away, and taxis aren't too expensive, although we only went for one night, as speeding taxis, and shopkeepers that tried to drag us into every shop left us feeling a bit shell-shocked!

Overall I think this hotel is perfectly fine for anyone who is looking for a not too expensive holiday, and it is very good value for money if you find a good deal, although if you are looking for the very best all inclusive and fine cuisine, you are better off going somewhere more expensive.

2  Thank BatesonFamily
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Stayed at the Tiran Island for 10 nights from 4th Aug-14th Aug, and had an amazing time, We arrived quite late, around 10.30pm, had to leave our suitcases at front door whilst we received our AI bands & filled out our details(which I wasn't very happy with seeing as anyone could have access to them)and given drinks. We were taked to our room(room 1105)and the view was fantastic, over the pool and looking out towards sea. A lot of the negatives people mention really are just being overly picky in our opinion, the drinks at Lobby bar come in tall glasses, and they have no problem giving you 2 or 3 drinks each to save you going back up so don't see the big issue with this, and regarding the food, well we had something to eat everynight and were happy with the selection, no issues with stomach bugs or sickness either(and we had ice in all our drinks, used tap water when brushing teeth etc). The hotel is truly beautiful, we were amazed at the sheer size, so we stuck to the shisha bar & lobby bar most nights, the bar staff in the lobby were always very friendly, especially Amr & Hany. We ate in the house of curry one night and it was gorgeous, the restaurant is lovely and has nice atmosphere, and Ehab who works in there(and also at the beach bar)was such a nice man. The beach was fantastic, we always managed to find a bed to tan, and beds later on in the shade, Walid the towel boy was very friendly and helpful, you have to try the snorkelling when there, it's incredible the colours and variations of fish! I'm a non-swimmer, and brought my own buoyancy vest with me, and I was fine jumping off the jetty into the deep water! You can rent vests and snorkels from the dive center at the adjacent Melia hotel, but we brought our own. Take an underwater camera case if you can aswell! Everyday our room was cleaned by Tamir, very friendly man who made us a different towel design everyday(although sometimes he used flowers from the gardens and they had ants in them!)but he was very efficient and room was always spotless, air-con great too. Our fridge was broken, so we told Tamir and when we got back to our room that day it was fixed. Regarding the shops on-site, think they tend to rip you of a little, but it's up to you to haggle if you want a cheaper price! We used a shop a 10min walk from hotel, much cheaper and everything is priced so no need for haggling. Went into Naama bay 3 times, once during day(too hot, waste of time)and twice at night, great atmosphere, but drinks are really expensive. Regarding the Russians who seem to come in their droves to the hotel, well I'm sorry but I have to agree that the majority are very rude(we had our seats stolen at dinner a couple times, even though we had drinks on table)and they walk around the beach topless(which isn't allowed)and stand all over the coral which KILLS it! We met great people when there, Alex & Lauren who we became good friends with, Tam, Karen & Thomas who were lovely, and Bryan & Jenny, always had company if we wanted it! Overall this is a great hotel, please ignore the bad reviews, and you will have a fantastic time! Michelle & Mikey, Glasgow :)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MichelleMGlasgow
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We have just returned from a week all inclusive at this hotel and it was brilliant. The negative reviews would put a lot of people off but we chose to ignore them as lots of people moan for moanings sake! The hotel is really clean everywhere, the room was cleaned daily and they left us some lovely towel sculptures which the kids really loved. We had no complaints at all about the food, there was always a big selection and something different every day, we had no issues with tummy upsets so the food is clearly not the cause for other people. drinks were fine and exactly what you expect anywhere on all inclusive. The kids club was great, lots of different things for the kids to do and the beach with the snorkelling was amazing. The animation team worked really hard the whole time. The pool was gorgeous and you never struggled to get a sunbed and umberella. We would definately go back to this hotel without question as we had an amazing holiday and were sad to leave.

1  Thank Ryloz
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Having read all the reviews myself and my family were a bit worried that we were going to a really bad hotel, but having been there I can honestly say it's not that bad! My room didn't have any problems, although others in my party (we had 5 rooms) had some problems.

Here's a summary of things which you should know, both good and bad:

- The fridges in the rooms. This is a common problem and most of them aren't working. If you report it to reception they will tell you they can do nothing about it, however if you report it to the housekeeping manager he will arrange to get it fixed. They have a limited supply of replacement parts which are being shipped into the hotel bit by bit, so they are fixing fridges but don't have the capacity to fix them all at once.

- Balcony doors not locking. Again this was reported to the house keeping manager and he fixed it for us.

- Water pressure. In the morning and in the early evening we would sometimes lose pressure whilst in the shower. This I guess was due to everyone using the shower at the same time, but it never lasted too long.

-Food. The food does get boring after 2 weeks, but then I believe that happens wherever you go. They do a good selection. At every meal there is a choice of potatoes, rice, pasta and usually two meats (primarily beef and chicken). If you're a vegetarian who only eats fish you may struggle a bit as fish is not always on the menu.

- Animiation Team. These guys work so hard and are really good fun. Mamadoo and Sam are so funny and Mero, Gaby, Ziko, Nina and Tatyana are also really sweet. Take part in aqua aerobics, belly dancing and watch some of their shows :-)

If you go to watch a show, get a few drinks from the Piazza cafe to take with you whilst you watch the show otherwise you have to walk back to get drinks.

Beach - The beach is only accessible via a jetty and it's very deep so not very suitable for children. There are lots of nice fish to see whilst snorkelling.

Pool - The pool is definitely the best feature of the hotel. We spent most days from 10-6 there, right near the pool bar swimming and relaxing. You need to be up early to put your towels out otherwise you will find it hard to find sunbeds.

Staff - There were some really nice staff such as Mohamed and Ahmed who worked at the pool bar mainly, and we found the staff on reception were the most rude and unhelpful.

We were on an all inclusive plan and the drinks stop at 11pm. Also the entertainment is also finished by 11pm so there's not much really to do after that... There is the opportunity to go to some clubs with the hotel and the animiation team accompany you if you're looking to party. They leave the hotel at 11.30pm and leave the clubs at 3am. I went to a beach party and hard rock cafe which were both fun.

Most, if not all of our party got the infamous stomach bug whilst there, but we were all fine, just needed to be close to a toilet at times!

I believe a holiday is what you make it and all in all the hotel was a pleasant experience.

2  Thank Symma