“I didnt want to come home"”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tiran Island Hotel

Tiran Island Hotel
Ranked #101 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“I didnt want to come home"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

I went to tiran island with a friend of mine..from the minute i got there to the time we left we were treated like queens...All the staff from room cleaning,bar,pool etc were very friendly,helpful,polite..Mohamead (magic man) Restaurant manager was very kind & helpful.always had a table outside ready,with cocktails..nothing was too much trouble for anyone..The beach was a 2 minute bus ride away & very quiet.All in all this is my 3rd visit to Sharlm and this has to be the best hotel ever....The one thing that was alittle disappointing was the choice of food they had on offer..if this can be improved then i would rate Tiran 10/10

Room Tip: The food could be improved with more choice
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Tiran_Island_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Many Thanks for taking the time to write a review for us. It's important to us that we receive all feedback from guests in order to improve any facilities or services we offer. I'm glad you had a good time whilst here with us and we hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Shipton under Wychwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

No idea where to start... IGNORE all bad reviews, I suppose it's very much down to personal opinion, but we had the holiday of a lifetime in pure luxury and couldn't have asked for more. HOT hot sun, rooms exceptionally clean, comfy (and plenty) of sun loungers, staff that couldn't do enough for you - making the effort to remember your name and your drink, even carrying it to the table at dinner when they really got to know you; really recommend a 'Mario Special' from Mohammed (Mario) at the pool bar!
The pool was lovely and refreshing in 36 degree heat, and certainly not too cold! The pools were always clean and as the hotel was very quiet they were practically empty, apart from young couples like ourselves, just what we wanted! The grounds were well kept and we saw no litter apart from the odd cup that had flown in the wind but was always collected by the recreation team as soon as it was seen. But the fish and coral are beautiful, incredible place to snorkel, divers are brought there from the other side of the island because of the fish - not to be missed! The beach was amazing for snorkelling, can't comment too much as we stayed mainly by the pool as we enjoyed the music, water polo and water volley the animation team put on daily. Bacao was the animation leader, lovely guy, always up for a laugh - even if he did slightly cheat at water polo! He learned our names and we were up nearly every night in the Amphitheatre being volunteered in competitions etc. A great laugh at 9:30pm every night without fail.
The hotel is 10 minutes away from the airport by transfer, we used SHARM-CLUB for our transfer at just £5 each, each way ( we also booked our activities with them too in advanced due to their raving reviews on Tripadvisor - and rightly so, no complaints at all! ) you'd think being so close it might be slightly noisy, but the flight path was not over the hotel and I didn't hear any planes the whole time we were there. We had un-interupted sleep every night - very very comfortable beds; slightly tricky to get up in the morning but the sun gets you out! Great sized rooms, good sized bath and nice powerful shower. We hadn't requested in advanced, but got a beautiful sea view on the 3rd floor over the children's pool (which was mostly empty) - we were in room 1230.
Food wise, yes it can get repetitive, but that's the case with most all inclusive deals. We were wary of the fresh fruit and salad being extra careful, we're the just incase types! So we had chips and pasta and chicken etc. Breakfasts were best, fried eggs cooked fresh on toast, always chips at lunch and dinner and on our last night we had roast beef which was lovely! We were very happy with the ice creams 3 - 5, and the water cooler meant you could get water whenever you wanted.
Rachel is lovely, very helpful and will always said hello, checked to see everything was okay and if we were happy with everything. Receptionists were also very helpful, we got to know Ahmed really well who always said hello, certainly the nicest staff member we met, again, couldn't do enough and is a lovely person to meet as you arrive. So helpful and personable - a real asset to Tiran!
Right, I'll be quiet, as I could go on forever. It's beautiful, we didn't want to leave and we will be back without question.
Holiday of a lifetime. We LOVED it.

Room Tip: Sea view, 3rd floor, children's pool.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SMAD91
Tiran_Island_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to write your kind review for us.
It is always our aim to provide guests with a relaxing and enjoyable holiday away from the stress of work and home and I'm glad we managed to fulfill your expectations.
It was lovely to meet you, please do not hesitate to contact us if you return int eh future.

Trowbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

We stayed here for two weeks, all inclusive, travelling with Low Cost Holidays. This was the frist time any of us had been all inclusive and even been to Egypt, so were a little cautious after all of the trouble in Cairo. Like anyone in our situation though, we did our research first, and I would just like to say that many of the negative points people have raised show just how little research they did prior to booking (but its always easier to blame some one else isnt it) Ok so we arrived early evening after a short transfer from the airport. The hotel is very close to the airport but you wouldnt know it and its not in the flight path. Our bags were taken from us and we were swiftly checked in. We were then escorted to our rooms with our baggage, and I have to say I was very impressed by our rooms. It was clean and tidy, large comfortable beds, air-conditioning and balcony which overlooked the kids pool. We did request a sea view, although we knew that the hotel was not located on the beachfront but could still see it. The rooms were cleaned daily, with fresh linen and towels provided and an array of towel creations were made, which were fantastic. It was my birthday while we were away and upon my return to my room I was greeted by a Birthday cake made from towels on my bed, flower petals and a hand written note. I also was made a surprise Birthday cake by the restaurant staff, which was presented to me during my meal. My friend had a problem with the shower in his room, however notified reception and it was quickly rectified. I couldnt fault the rooms, and Im sure if I would have pulled furniture about would have found a little dust, but I defy anyone who doesnt have that at home and I was on holiday so had no intention of making a point of looking for faults!
The hotel is located about 30 minutes drive from bustling Naama bay, and there isnt much outside of the hotel but we knew this prior to booking and chose it on this basis as we were looking for a more relaxing holiday. This proved to be perfect as we got a taxi into Naama bay and nearby Soho Square at a very reasonable price, which meant we could enjoy the hussle and bussle knowing we would be returning to our peaceful hotel.
The restaurant was clean and had a good variety of food available everyday. We were a little bored of it by the end of the two weeks, but when you eat in the same place 3 times a day for 14 days thats to be expected. The service was great and tables were cleared immediately. The only thing I would have liked was to have a greater selection of fruit available. The pool was glorious, plenty of sunbeds available, clean towels, generally very clean and tidy. I have read before that people have stated the water was too cold, my response to this would be that for the whole two weeks of our stay the temperature was 35 degrees plus, so after relaxing on the sunbed, the water is going to feell a little cold but what could be more refreshing than jumping into the pool and swimming over to the pool bar to get a refreshing cocktail! We did find the music a little too loud and the lack of variety a little annoying at times however this is down to personal preference and we ended up sharing our time between the pool and the beach where we found it a little quietier. There was no litter around the pool, ok they may have been the odd plastic cup around which was left by a guest but was always collected by the recreation staff. There were plenty of parasols around the pool if you needed a little shade and they did there job, a few however had seen better days which Im sure the hotel will address in the future. You were approached by various staff around the pool, for massage/papers/tatoos which at first was a little annoying, however they soon came to realise if you were not interested and left you alone. We did haggle for a masssge and all of us had a full body cleopatra, which we thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend. At the end of the day these guys are just doing their jobs in what is a very difficult time for tourism in Egypt, and we found the best way was just to have a laugh and banter with them. The beach is located a very pleasant 5 min walk away, there is a shuttle bus, which we did get sometimes which takes about 30 seconds! There were plenty of sunloungers on the beach, which ok wasnt massive, but very relaxing, with an all inclusive bar and a jetty which lead out over the coral into the sea. If you have come here to snorkel, great, if you havent, try it, this was second to none, a fantastic array of fish and coral to view. We did book a day trip to Cairo to go to the pyramids, and although it was a marathon day, leaving at 4am, i would throughly recommend it. Interesting, informative and amazing! Overall we found all of the staff here very pleasnt and helpful, and the guys in the shops were fantastic. There are areas that can be improved and what one person finds as a negative another might not, we were asked however to provide feedback at the end of our stay where i highlighted the areas I have mentioned. As far as we are concerned this hotel is all what we expected and thoroughly enjoyed our two weeks here, so much so we would go back tomorrow!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank BrotherYo_11
Tiran_Island_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Many thanks for your kind and detailed review.

It is always our aim to ensure every guest has a relaxing and enjoyable holiday and I'm glad we managed this in your case. It is important to us that guests do some research or are given the correct information before their stay. As we said before, the travel agent can promise you a singing camel in your room but sadly we can't provide everything!!

I'm glad you had a good stay with us and we will look forward to your return visit soon.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2011

Hello,

My girlfriend and I have just returned from two weeks at the Tiran Island Hotel so I'll try and give you an accurate report from both of our perspectives.

Firstly, the food. To put it politely the food in this hotel is absolutely 100% awful. Spending two weeks eating a menu that doesn't change is no fun whatsoever even if the quality is high. At the Tiran island the quality is poor at best....

Rooms - there isn't a great deal to report hear, clean, comfortable without being spectacular. My only gripe is that the cleaner came to our room and woke us up on several occasions to ask for a tip, completely unacceptable in my opinion...

Pool - the best feature of this hotel by a country mile. The 'animations' team always kick of the entertainment each morning which initially will put a smile on your face before becoming tedious. Unfortunately there are a few complaints in this department however. Firstly the music levels during the day are akin to a nightclub, not something I want to hear whilst trying to relax and read a book. Secondly, the hotel contains a beauty treatment room on site and the relentless sales patter of the individuals that work there became an annoyance almost immediately. Being flogged a massage, cut-throat shave so on and so forth being very very annoying. As you can see hear the point I am trying to make is that I never once felt relaxed and free from hassle.

Hotel Bar - again nothing to really get excited about here, only point to note is that the 'local grog' vodka, whiskey etc tastes like it has been brewed in vats of nuclear waste. If you are a drinker be prepared to pay top dollar (London prices) for a decent drink.

All in all my girlfriend and I were happy to see the bus arrive to pick us up to come back home. A rather unsavoury incident (involving one of the hotel chefs groping my g/f's breast) soured our whole experience of not just the Tiran Island bit Sharm el Shiekh as a whole.

Somewhat unsuprisingly I would strongly recommend looking elsewhere should you have a slightly more generous budget. I have learnt the lesson that you only get what you pay for....

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank ChrisKerr86
Herts, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2011

We booked a last minute week 13 - 20th May 2011, on all inclusive.
On arrival we were booked in pretty quickly and shown to our room which was huge. We had twin beds which we always push together these were massive 4 ft singles which made us an 8 foot bed! The next day when the lad came to do our room we found he had made it up as a double for us. Nothing to complain about the room as I said it was huge, almost a suite, we had a large sofa and 4 chairs as well as plenty of storage and a balcolny with 2 plastic chairs and a small table which looked out over the pool at an angle which unfortunately meant no sun on the balcolny.

This was the first time we have booked all inclusive but we got such a good deal, although we only went to lunch twice and didn't do any of the afternoon tea/snacks or ice creams still feel it was great value for the money.

It was pretty quiet (Which in all honesty suited us) The revolution and shark attacks last year have really affected the tourism in Sharm, the hotel was running at between 17 and 20% capacity with I would say mostly English and Russian with probably more English.
We never had to queue in the restaurant and the food was very nice with plenty of choice, I can see that if you are a bit fussy it could get a bit boring if you were staying for 2 weeks, but we found it fine, though don't know if I would have been so happy if the Hotel was full. Likewise we had no trouble getting a sunbed around the pool or on the beach.

In general the staff were nice and helpful but on a couple of occasions a couple of the pool staff/animation team were bordering on being rude but I think this is more to do with being bored as there were so few people, but still no excuse really.

Worst thing was the Mozzies, never before have we found them so bad anywhere we have been, this was our 4th vivit to Egypt, 3rd to Sharm and it was the worst so far as the Mozzies went, I was bitten so badly on my feet during the first evening (We did not arrive at the hotel until 9pm) My feet were so swollen I could only get crocs on my feet for the next 2 days. Not the fault of the hotel though, I saw them come round with the mozzie smoke thingy every day.

Would we go back? you bet we would. Fantastic pool, and private beach which they run a shuttle bus to , but we walked as it was only about 5-7 minutes away, and the snorkeling is definately not to be missed, absolutely amazing.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank GMB1
Tiran_Island_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Many Thanks for taking the time to write a review for us.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind comments.
It is always our aim to provide the set possible holiday for all guests and I'm pleased to hear we managed this for you. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you decide to return in the future.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2011

We stayed at the Tiran at the end of April.The hotel was clean and tidy,the staff could not do enough to help.Great swimming pools and small private beach with jetty.Food was excellent with lots of choice each day i really could'nt find any faults with this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank gas4ever
Tiran_Island_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2011
Many Thanks for taking the time to write a review for us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future.

hull
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2011

From the outside this hotel looks impressive however when you get in it goes downhill from there,the beech towels have brown stains on them (i dread to think).the towels in the room were not much cleaner with stains and lipstick all over them, also the sheets and pillows are disgusting,the first night we ended up sleeping on top of the bed wrapped up in our own towels because the sheets and pillows were dirty,the room wasnt any cleaner either with dust and fluff under the bed and cabinets,this did improve slightly on the second week but only after we complained to the hotel and the rep.The small pool was closed for two days so it could be cleaned but they put too much chlorine in it so nobody could use it however this was denied by the hotel but there were other guests who were complaining aswell.even after it was cleaned it was still filthy with black mouldy looking stuff between the tiles.Not very child friendly or for less ablebodied people as there are steps and steep ramps everywhere which are quite dangerous when wet.There were glasses blowing around the pool for three days before one of the staff picked them up and put them up a tree,the path between the two pools had a trail of blood from one end to the other this was there for the full two weeks and got cleaned up on our last day,cat poo near the main pool on the grass, there was a dead bird on the path near the kids pool for over a week then when someone came to sweep the path it got swept under the hedge,all in all this is the most dirtiest hotel we have stayed in in egypt we have stayed in lesser rated hotels that have been far superior this one.
The food was absolutely diabolicle its the same every day for two weeks,one day my wife cut into a piece of chicken and it still had blood in it,again all the english guests were complaining about the food although the indian restaurant food was quite nice it would be you have to pay for it,the drinks were that watered down half the time you couldnt tell what it was you were drinking,this hotel brings a whole new meaning to "ALL INCLUSIVE"you have to pay for water if you want more than a glass full and pay for everything after 11.00pm.
The entertainment was a waste of time you would be better off going out this goes for the food aswell you would be better off going elsewhere if you dont want food poisoning.
Very noisey on a night with doors slamming and banging,
This was supposed to be a nice relaxing holiday after a serious illness also for our anniversary,this holiday was far from it needless to say we wont be going there again.
Now for the good points,THE WEATHER WAS BRILLIANT.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mikeb075
Tiran_Island_Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Tiran Island Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Dear Mike,

Thank you for writing a review for us. We appreciate all feedback, good or bad and even though I don't usually, I would like to take the time to answer some of the comments you have made as I feel you were unhappy before entering the hotel and even though we did everything we could for you, I'm afraid we were never going to match your previous holiday in Mexico which you referred to.

As discussed during your stay.

After checking into your room I phoned to see if everything was ok and you told me it was. Unfortunately if you do not tell us about these issues we are unable to help.

I spoke to you on the second day and you told me everything was fine in your room. After reporting it wasn't in your second week I organised for the executive housekeeper to come to your room daily to check everything was clean and you told him it was. You are the only guest since I started working in this hotel who has complained about unclean sheets or towels.

You told me you were unhappy with the all inclusive concept and problems you had booking your stay but as explained at the time, this was not the fault of the hotel and needed to be addressed with your representative which you did not do for almost a week. Water is not provided by the bottle but after your complaint I sent bottles of water to your room which were refused.

The small pool was not closed during your stay, it was cleaned daily with a device similar to a hoover which cleans the pool which takes less than an hour. As explained, the pool is chlorinated overnight.

I apologise that glasses were left by the pool. I accept this is not acceptable but would like to ask which member of staff put them in a tree as immediately after your complaint I collected the glasses personally and organised for bar staff to visit the area every hour to check.

Regarding steps. Your room was on the ground floor facing the pool so you had 2 steps directly from your terrace to the pool area. There are 9 steps from the reception area to your room.

The cleanliness around the hotel is one of our top priorities. I see you have managed to find pictures of a few things that needed attention as I'm sure anyone could in a hotel with over 300 rooms but all other reviews class cleanliness as one of our top scoring areas.

I'm sorry the food was not to your liking, we have meat, fish, rice, vegetables, pasta etc for every meal and run on a menu provided for us by Thomas Cook. Thank you for stating the Indian was nice but I wonder about your comment on the payment as you received a free meal in the Indian Restaurant. Regarding the chicken not being cooked, your case was the only complaint of this nature and I would like to again ask why you did not mention this to the restaurant staff at the time.

Once again thank you for your review and I wish you happier travels in the future.