“horrendous snorkelling in sharm with aquarius diving”

Aquarius Diving Club
stockport
“horrendous snorkelling in sharm with aquarius diving”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

On a recent trip to sharm we booked a snorkelling trip via a rep with Aquarius dive school.We were picked up on time and the instructors were all very friendly.When we came to having our masks fitted my husband struggled to get a proper fit,he wasnt offered another mask or given any help.The first two sites were fine as neither of us had done this before and the reefs were amazing.We had lunch on the boat which was excellent and well presented.After lunch we were geared up for the final expedition,but 2 of the instructors were refusing to go saying that it was illegal and shaking thier heads.This left us with 2 instructors and around 30 snorkellers.I had a life jacket on as did several others in the party.Shortly after getting into the water I realised that the sea was rather choppy and I had to keep clearing my mask.Another girl in the party was also struggling and suggested we go back to the boat.I looked round to inform my husband of our plan and he was really struggling and at one point I thought he was having a heart attack.After a great deal of shouting We managed to alert the dive master who was by now way ahead of us and he came back to help.He managed to calm my husband down and told us to go back to the boat.My husband had cramp in his calf and was really struggling.The other lady in the life jacket and her husband helped me to get back to the boat,all of us holding my husband up as he was panicking and short of breath.The dive master had made no attempt to secure my husbands safety and if it hadnt of been for this kind couple then I am sure that he would have gone under.We made a complaint on the boat and one of the other divers told us that the sea was far to choppy for the in experienced and the dive was illegal as there wernt enough pros with us.When the dive master came back on board all he could do was shrug his shoulders.I would therefore think before you snorkell as most of the others in the party said that they also struggled on the last dive.If you are not a very strong swimmer,then wear the jackets provided.Make sure that you have enough experienced divers out in the water with you,and if at all unsure then stay on the boat.We all found this a very harrowing experience that was somewhat covered up by the master diver,simply because he took the risk and put us all in danger.

• Polish first
England
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I think I caught them on a bad day”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2010

Before I left for Sharm I did the usual searches and found that most people thoroughly enjoyed their experiences with Aquarius.I had not dived for 2 years(kids have that affect) but still consider myself a fairly experienced diver of 150+ .Aquarius insisted on a scuba review which gave me the confidence and impression I was going to be diving with a good , saftey concious operation.

The day.

I left my wife and kids at 8.45 for a 9.00 meet near the sales hut at the bottom of the Holiday village.The staff arrived promptly and we walked to the dive centre which was approx 10 minutes away.

At the dive centre I met 2 other divers who would be joining me on my review.I soon realised that the other 2 divers were not actually qualified divers and were just doing a resort dive.We were given a scuba review test to complete (I really must re-read my manuals more regularly!) which we completed and after a delay we were sent to collect our equipment for a pool dive.

The equipment was well used but appeared to be in good working order however alarm bells started to ring when they couldnt find any more weight belts.I only use 2kg so I was ok to carry in my BCD.The instructor explaned the tasks we were expected to perfom in a clear and precise manner.I quickly performed the tasks needed to complete the review along with one of the novice divers however the other diver struggled with mask clearing.(we have all been there!)The instructor was brilliant in calming down the student and eventually was able to perform the task.

On leaving the pool we boxed up our gear for the transport to the house reef dive.I looked at my watch and was stunned to see that it was already 11 am (How time flies).
The instructor marked the review sheets but to my amazement didnt correct the wrong answers from the novice divers.Surely this should be done as part of the instruction?

We boarded a mini bus and set off for the beach minus our gear which we were told would be following us and not to worry.On board the bus we were joined by 3 more divers (2 rescue and another exp diver) .We all expressed concerns over the time it had so far taken to get to the resort.

We arrived at the next dive centre near Ras Gamilla at approx 12.30 and waited and waited for our equipment to arrive.We were informed that our dive instructor would be here shortly and was just completeing a dive!(No surface interval???).Luckily my gear arrived ,I say luckily because 2 of the other divers gear wasnt put on board the truck and had to miss their dive.The instructor Ruth was excellent and delivered a clear and precise dive plan my only complaint here would be the apparent lack of communication from the pool instructor to Ruth with regards to the scuba review.I think it is preferable/vital to have the same instructor for both as they can guage the skill and confidence of the divers.On entering the water we were told to perform a buoyancy test(once again well done Ruth!) and use the line to aid our descent.
I descended with my dive buddy however it soon became apparent that one of the other divers was having trouble with her buoyancy and needed help.After a little help from Ruth we continued with the dive.
The coral is amazing the best I have ever seen its like the Gt barrier reef before el nino caused the bleaching and destruction,Marine life was supprisingly low volume but I was too busy with the corals to mind.It truly is beautiful.The dive lasted 40 mins at a max depth of 13m.The equipment was fine apart from the BCD straps that kept coming loose and needed retightening throughout the dive.

After stripping down the equpment we boarded the bus for home at 2.30pm.I arrived back to my resort from a 40 min dive a full 6 hours after leaving .
I found my wife a little worried ,she found the Aquarius staff at the HV very unhelpful in locating me.

I think it was just a bad day for Aquarius.Would I recommend them? I would have to say no but I have to say the instructors were excellent .

1 Thank ScoobyDiverEngland
Lancaster, UK
“Thanks to Aquarius”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

We are just back from the Coral Sea Resort in Sharm El Sheikh. We learned to Dive with the Aquarius school at the hotel. It was excellent, our teacher Ruth was very helpful, knowledgeable and made the course a pleasure to do. They run daily dives at theiir hose reef at Ras Ghamilla and from their boats. Once we were qualified we did another couple of dives with Ramy who looked after us novicies really well. All of the staff at the school are very friendly and helpful. I would recommend learning or diving with Aquarius, cheaper and more convinient than the school suggested by the First Choice Reps.

“Aquarius were very good to us. We got to...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2009

Aquarius were very good to us. We got to know the guys at our resort by name and enjoyed talking to them, if we were there longer we would have definiately done more trips with them.
We did the introduction dive from a boat off Tiran island, the instructors were very professional and safety was a high priorty. The food on the boat was lovely, the red sea was beautiful and the weather was glorius.. All in all a great day out.

Derby
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2009

We stayed at the Coral Sea Imperial where Aquarius has a base on the beach. Whilst in resort several of their reps would wander around trying to sell trips with them. I certainly do not mean that they loitered constantly looking to do the hard sell; far from it.

At the start of the holiday the reps came up asking if we were interested in various trips, but never bothered nor pressurised us. After a couple of times of saying no thanks, they would then simply say hello, how are you, then move on. Later in the week we decided to book a trip so stopped one of the reps whilst they were passing by.

The prices were comparable with other places and the internet. With them having a base on the beach it made me feel more comfortable booking with them, knowing I could actually go and speak with someone direct if necessary. I didn't need to though.

We intend going back to the Coral Sea Imperial and will definetly use Aquarius for any trips we want to take. The prices were good, the staff were friendly and helpful and everything went smoothly.