“You get what you pay for - if you think you're going to get 5 Star quality for 3 Star prices, don't go!”
Review of Jaz Sharks Bay

Jaz Sharks Bay
Ranked #33 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Tongham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2010

Being a bit of an anorak when it comes to preparing for holidays, I was somewhat perturbed by some of the TripAdvisor Reviews - in all honesty, anyone who posts a negative review about this hotel has either set themselves up for disappointment with unrealistic expectations or, where (understandable for such a 'young' hotel) teething problems occur, have not given the staff the opportunity to address them!
If you think you're going to get 5 Star Quality for 3 Star prices, don't go - it is "as described on the tin". It is, quite simply, your common or garden 3 Star Hotel!
My wife and I normally only "do" 4 or 5 Star, but were in need of a short break in the sun, hopefully in the company of similarly-driven (British!) travellers - and we got exactly what we wanted!
To the specifics ...
We booked through Thomson (£600 pp for 7 days AI from Bournemouth) and, being our first flight with Thomson Air, I was very impressed with both flights - comfortable, efficient and convenient times of the day (except for the fact that my wife had some nutter behind her on the inbound flight who spent 3 hours kicking the stuffing out of the back of her seat!).
Transfers to and from the hotel (10 minutes from Sharm el Sheikh Airport) were quick and painless.
Arriving at the hotel at 10 pm, we were greeted by a pleasant (despite other reviews!) reception and were then taken under the wing of Ramadan, who told us that he was there to make our stay as pleasant as possible. We got the tour, late night snacks (we'd missed dinner) and our bags were in our room before us. Ramadan was also true to his word, promptly sorting out the minor problems we brought to his attention (A/C re-gassing, room safe left locked by previous occupants and locking ourselves out of our room*) both promptly and efficiently. (*WARNING: They DO tell you on arrival at reception that you shouldn't leave your front door on the chain and nip out the sliding door, but there is always someone who doesn't listen - in this case, the wife!).
Thomson's Resident Rep Yasmin was very informative at the Welcome Meeting (someone needs to convince her that she does, however, need to take a breath at some stage during her 25-30 minute presentation) and we booked just one excursion - but I'll get to that later.
Overall the Hotel and the Holiday was worth the money spent, with the following Highlights/Lowlights:
• Shower/Toilet - The local water (not for human consumption) gives the bathroom a "dank" smell. Some effective air-freshening could possibly address this?
• Bed - VERY comfy;
• Catering - Varied and of decent quality. I'll just never get used to being in a hotel that doesn't (or cannot) serve bacon or pork sausages. I have, however, addressed this shortfall since our return!
• Pool / Jacuzzi - The Size of the hotel (130 rooms) and swimming facilities made for a good "community" spirit;
• Service - nothing was too much trouble for anyone: the Bar Staff (Islam and Ibrahim), Room Attendants / Cleaners, Pool Men (Emad and Ahmed), Catering Staff (incl. Restaurant Manager Ahmed), Front Desk Staff and Maintenance Men we encountered were all very accommodating - and we even caught a glimpse of Hotel Management! The only 'sour note' was that one of the waiters (not named here for his own good) got a little too close for comfort to overstepping the line between friendly banter and inappropriate familiarity - he's a good kid, though, and will learn with experience.
• Entertainment - the Animation Team had been 'removed' in the week prior to our arrival, so the new Team were on a hiding to nothing, arriving throughout the week we were there. Tunisian Wael (‘Welly’), Egyptian Ahmed (‘Mido’) and Georgian Tatu would appear to have the makings of an effective bunch, once they have sorted out the teething problems you would expect under the circumstances (Wael does, however, need to get his volume control knob fixed, being that it is permanently stuck on full volume!). Their efforts were most appreciated, I believe, by those that participated in the daily water volley ball and water polo games!
• Excursion – we went on the ‘Sinai by Starlight’ trip, which was both reasonable value for money and sufficiently entertaining and educational not to be tiresome. HOWEVER – the fact that we were collected from the hotel at 3:00 pm and then, after almost 1½ hours of travelling to other hotels to make other pick-ups, were dropped at the coach stop – JUST 350 YARDS FROM THE HOTEL! – defies logic!
• Hotel Guests – ultimately it is always for us the people who make the holiday (you know, those friends you make for life that you never see again!?) and the hotel that simply provides the environment for human interaction. The hotel did its job perfectly in this respect …
- A total absence of chavs/muppets: the hotel is neither on the beach nor close to the ‘happening places’, so its location serves as a deterrent;
- 80-85% British Tourists: the Russians, who made up the balance, were largely pleasant, if uncommunicative, with no more than the ‘normal’ level of rudeness we’ve come to expect/accept. Sergei, the gentle giant of a waterpolo goalkeeper is a legend (легенда);
- Thank you to those who made their contribution, however large or small, to making this a really good holiday: Kieron, Kira and Xavier from Dublin; Geordie Joe, newly-wed Mancunian Duke, Mark, Alex the Scottish-accented Pole and all their missuses; Dennis, Janet, Jade and Ryan; and, of course, all the kids (totalling no more than about a dozen) who showed us all how kids can enjoy themselves without it being at the expense of others!
BOTTOM LINE - You get what you pay for. We did!

2 Thank Sean_and_Kathryn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2010

Hotel was very clean and the staff were very friendly at all times. (Especially Mohammed who looked after our room) Food was good. Weather fantastic. Will definately return in the near future.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Was better than expected all the staff were great and friendly and had a good sense of humour which i did not expect. Tipped couple of bar men on last night but the service was the same throughout the whole holiday. Ahmed the Towel boy is brill along with his mate. The animation team were better than originally thought as read reviews that they just cater from the Russians, if anythng they catered for the English more. There was Water volleyball and water polo everyday which loads of people would get involved in and once a week there was gym aerobics (very funny).
Food in the restaurant was much better as had worries about going due to food as there are certain things i can not eat but i had no problems getting a plate full everyday. The pool bar did good food like chips, burgers, hot dogs and freshly made pizzas.

The rooms were always clean to a high standard and we had amazing towel art on 4 out of 6 days there. Tip cleaner at the end of week as if you tip them at the start some of the cleaners expect it everyday so if no tip get less of a service. Cleaner we had was very friendly always asking how we were when we seen him each morning.
On our first day you get a few people trying to sell you excursions and massages. We had the medical massage - it was lovely and relaxing great bit of money spent.

We booked excursions through our Thomson rep Yasmin as was unsure to trust the excursion desk in hotel but spoke to people who used them and they can be trusted.

We did the Ultimate Desert Experience and the Red Sea Cruise. The RSC was amazing, the guide Khamed was wicked. You stopped 3 times for Snorkelling the two trained divers really look out for you if your struggling. Food provided on the boat is good but couldnt eat much as felt sea sick, i was really looked after.
The UDE was wicked you quad bike out into the desert, stop to meet some Bedouin people and get a camel ride which was amazing then quad bike on to a camp and enjoy a BBQ and a dance show, Belly dancer was a disappointment.

Would definately go again and stay at the Sol y Mar again.

1 Thank Cook1705
Bristol
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel. Read the reviews for several months before I went and they are mostly accurate.

To all those who post your review after this, please do not complain about the remoteness of the hotel. I can't count the amount of times that it has been mentioned that this hotel is really 'stand alone', so if you want more company stay somewhere else.

First the good things:

The Rooms

The rooms were of a good standard. They were very clean, well equipped and of good size. The bathrooms were on the small side, with no bath. Just a quick interruption on the 'good' of this description of the rooms....The shower in my room 320, had a fixed half glass panel, which wasn't at all effective of keeping the water from leaking out onto the floor of the shower room. This was slightly annoying and meant not only did I have to aim the shower head and restrict myself to the far left hand corner of the shower to keep the water leakage to a minimum, but it mean't that I used up a lot of towels soaking up the water. Not at all eco friendly : (

Back to the good things...

The Rooms cont...

The hotel provided a safe to put all your expensive belongings which was free to use.

The beds were comfy ++ and the pillows were great!

There was also a mini fridge/bar, which was stocked with 'priced' items - that's not the good thing, the good thing is that you could put your bottles of water and such like in the fridge to stay cool.

The Restaurant

Was ok, for a 3/3.5 star hotel. Let's say that even the fussiest eater would not starve, there was something there for everyone. Yes, the food was repetitive and I constantly tried to find different combinations of foods to put together to liven up breakfast. If you like omelettes then your sorted. I wouldn't recommend the sausages or 'bacon' just by the way they looked. Tried a bite of a sausage and that was enough for me for the whole week. Wasn't brave enough to try the bacon..

The restaurant staff were very hard working, friendly and they got to know you very quickly. I forget the name of the supervisor, but he kept everything shipshape and would try to seat you in the same place for dinner if possible.

The Courtesy Bus

Every day, several times a day, the hotel puts on a shuttle bus to the sister hotel the Jaz Belverdere, where you are free to use the beach and the facilities there. I found that you had to be quite assertive when getting on the bus, or you just won't get on.! There were only about 15 seats on the bus and so at certain times there was more of a demand for a seat than some, especially on the way back from the Jaz at the end of the day. There were obviously who spent all their time at the Jaz and knew how the show ran..They were the ones who discreetly pushed people out of the way and stepped on their toes, just to secure their place on the bus!! BEWARE :))

The Checkout

On my last day, due to my late flight, I was given either an option to keep the room and All incl..up until 18:00pm for an extra £30 or checkout so that they could have the room and keep the All Incl..package until I left, with a room available to have a shower and freshen up, before I left. I thought that was a really kind gesture.

Maybe other hotels do this, but I've only had experience of either keeping the room at a cost, with no All Incl..benefits until departure or checking out and sitting in the foyer and having to freshen up in the hotel toilets!

They gave me a poolside room, which was clean and had a great big shower, with a fully closing glass door. I was spoilt..

I even managed to squeeze in a quick bite to eat before I left, which mean't that I didn't have to pay for any food at the airport..

The Bad Things....

The Currency

If you need smaller change, please buy something at the airport before you get to the hotel. As mentioned, the hotel is remote and so there are no shops nearby. I found trying to get smaller notes and change from reception or any of the shops in the hotel an absolute nightmare.

The Internet

Is expensive to use - 25 LE for 30 minutes. The sign says that the internet connection is fast, but trust me...it's not. By the time the pages load, you've spent most of your credit.

The 30 minutes or the hour you pay for does not remain past the day you activate the card. So you can't use 10 minutes today and use the other 20 tomorrow. All the minutes you pay for must be used on the same day.

Noise Pollution!

The hotel is literally only 5 minutes from the airport. I could see the airport runway from my room entrance, so there is a constant rumble of planes taking off and landing, during the day and late into the night.

The A/C in the room was very effective and needed to be with temperatures of 40+ most days, but it could be very noisy and I found that most of the time I would have to turn it off so that I could actually get to sleep..!

The Entertainment, I think was centred around the pool area and as the hotel was small mean't that whether you choose to go or not, you were going to hear it and at times it was very loud.

Entertainment from other hotels!!

The side of the hotel I was in that overlooked the airport, had a way of carrying the music and entertainment from the other hotels that were quite far away, through the air, right into my hotel room. I could hear the DJ's and the music and feel the vibrations of the bass as clear as day.

Thankfully before leaving my departure airport, I had invested in an eye mask that had some earplugs attached, which worked a treat. I suggest you do the same, if you want a good night's sleep.

The Price of Calls

If you want to call home, for goodness sake don't use the hotel phones!!! It costs 25LE a MINUTE to call outside the country. I used the phone to call my travel rep locally and was on the phone for about 1 minute, during which time I told him to call me back and that cost me 6LE.

Unfortunately they don't have phone cards like most countries have, so unless you have loads a money, either text on your mobile or tell your friends and relatives that you'll call them only if there is an emergency!! - you are on holiday after all.

In Conclusion....

All in all, it wasn't a bad stay for a small hotel. I wouldn't go there again, mostly because of it's location. I would prefer to stay in a hotel nearer the sea to get some relief from the heat.

Good try Sol Y Mar..

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank cr8ted2praze
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Just arrived home from a two week stay at the Sol Y Mar. Hotel very clean & the staff so friendly, nothing seems too much trouble. Read a few earlier reports about the rooms been small, we had a room on the 3rd floor & found it large enough (as big as any other 4 & 5 * hotels I have previously stayed in), request this floor if possible if you like to sit out on your balcony, the ground floor & 2nd floor were not private enough for us.

Food ok but did become rather repetative before the end of our stay (neither my partner or I suffered from an upset stomach which was a bonus) we ate out a few times, there is no shortage of places to eat in Naama Bay, Soho Square has a nice Indian restaurant & was very reasonably priced.

I have to agree with other reviews regarding a shortage of glasses, this is so true, when you get a glass hold onto it if not you end up getting your drinks served to you in plastic cups.

If you like lots of daytime & evening entertainment & amenities close by then this hotel is definately not the one to choose, it suited my partner & I as we just wanted to relax & recharge our batteries. We will certainly return one day but perhaps only for a 1 week stay.

Priase to our cleaner, he left the room immaculate each day, the waiters in both the pool bar & upstairs bar were brilliant & the pool attendant was friendy & kept the area spotless.

All in all a great 2 weeks & well worth what we paid....enjoy if you decide to go.

1 Thank helen_johnson
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Stayed at Sol Y Mar Sharks Bay from 01.09.10 till 15.09.10 and had a great time, food was okay - always something to eat but odd concoctions. Restaurant could be a bit like school dinners when busy with people queuing but always enough. Lack of tumblers for drinks is an issue but this has been going on for ever so I think this is probably going to continue this season. The staff are all a credit to the hotel from the "fly" guys who swat electronically the flies that may be about to the room attendants who will make you towel sculptures which amaze, they are lovely. We had a poolside room which are smaller than the higher rooms but are perfectly adequate and the aircon cools them fabulously. The beds are very comfortable and the mini bars are not too expensive if you need to use them. You can refill water bottles from the dispensers around the hotel. Location does let the hotel down but the taxi service is second to none and there is a free minibus to the sister hotel at the beach, we knew the hotels position before we went so really cant complain. Shade around the pool is at a premium but we managed to get beds daily that had shade and you do need it as it was very hot ALL DAY. We would return to Egypt but probably a hotel on the sea and earlier or later in the season as it was a bit hot for us - 40 - 45 degrees most days. Soho Square is great for a walk at night with bag shopping for us girls and watch shopping for the guys. Plenty nicnacs available too. Learn to haggle - the locals love it. Visit the Ice bar in Soho Sq also - its an experience.
Thank you to all the lovely staff who certainly contributed to a great break - Emad, at the pool, the Ibrahims in the restaurant and bar, Nabil, who had a wicked sense of humour and Sameh in the bars and Ahmed who attended our room.
Also Hi to the folks we met who made our holiday the enjoyable experience we had - Shona and Stevie, Lynn and John, Chloe and Craig. Shona hope you felt better once home !!!!!!
PS Sharm Airport is not nice - take toilet rolls to the Airport and hand gel - the toilets leave a lot to be desired.
Overall would recommend for a week if you are happy staying mostly in the hotel and mixing with others otherwise stay closer to beach/shops. Stomachs did get upset but Immodium did work - not down to hygeine issues but probably combination of heat and the oil they use in cooking and drinking copious amounts of fluid ( not alcohol ) to stay hydrated.
Entertainment staff did not really cater for our age group but this did not concern us.

1 Thank gmac61
Daytona beach
Reviewed September 24, 2010

This is my second time to Sol Y mar Sharks bay , i visit sharm at least 6 times a year for business , and a friend of mine recommended this hotel , so i went there before but stayed only one night and i was impressed with the hotel , so i came back and stayed 3 nights , the rooms are very clean , and pretty modern , beds are comfy , bed sheets were spotless , bathroom was spotless as well , they got LCD televisions , hair dryer and in room safe which was very helpful to me , the lobby is very nice and very welcoming , the pool is very clean even though i didn't get to use it more than one time , but it was really nice with plenty of loungers around the pool , the food was good , i stayed there for 3 nights and honestly every night there was something different , and to be honest i don't know if this will be the case for a longer stay , my favorite part about this hotel : STAFF , great great people and eager to help all the time from the housekeeping staff to the restaurant waiters to the pool bar staff to the lobby bar , they were all great , and i like to mention few names , Islam , Ibrahim , Nabeel , Ahmed , Sameh , Ragy at the front desk , and many others that i cannot recall their names , in all next time i am going to sharm , i will go to Sol Y mar sharks bay

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business