“Great trip - shame about sales pitch!”
Review of Sharm Excursions

Sharm Excursions
Ranked #34 of 265 Tours in Sharm El Sheikh
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore Egypt with Sharm' s favourite tour operator. We've been operating since 1998 and over the years have taken thousands of customers to see the amazing sights of Egypt.
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My partner and I booked 2 trips with Sharm Excursions - Cairo by plane and quad biking. The organisation of pick up and drop offs was great, efficient and comfortable. Cairo was an eye opener with the bustling streets and overcrowded roads. The quad bike trip was great fun, although the big kid in me just wished it lasted a bit longer!!
The down side to the Cairo trip was being badgered to buy something at every opportunity, even the tour guide on the bus tried to sell us bracelets and necklaces!
There was no advance warning that we could not take cameras into the Museum in Cairo and I'd taken all my camera gear thinking I could get some great photographic momentos of my holiday, but the guide ordered (not politely asked) me to hand over my camera just before we walked in. I was very nervous about leaving my camera in the reception area with little or no confidence in the security. At the end of the visit, the guide then tried to sell us a DVD of Egypt.
It was suggested that one of the best ways to see Cairo was on a river cruise... or Taxi boat as it turned out... it cost us £10 sterling each! I'm sure if we were local, you'd get the whole boat for that!
The lunch stop was a buffet, but half way through our plate, we were encouraged to finish as we needed to move on... sorry, but if I've paid for a buffet, I'm going to eat as much as I can!
The Papyrus "museum" was basically a shop, where we were told we could browse without pressure or hassle to buy, but as we were looking around and about to leave, numerous staff members tried to offer us discounts on the pictures to make a purchase... not exactly hassle free!
After the amazing view and experience of the Pyramids (apart from tip begging by the camel owners who had been paid up front) we went to view the sphinx, another great life experience, but then were "encouraged" by the owner of Sharm Excursions to be filmed for a video for his website saying how safe we thought Cairo was... everyone felt uncomfortable and were too polite to refuse.
Just then, when we thought we were heading back to the airport, we were taken to an oils shop where another sales pitch took place, although we were told we didn't have to buy, we all felt uncomfortable about just listening and trying. The staff there were visibly not happy about the lack of purchases form the group and although none of us spoke the local language, we could tell that this was then related to the tour guide, who also appeared unhappy at this too.
TIP: everything they try to sell you costs £10 sterling!
On the quad biking trip a camera man offered to film us and produce a DVD, which we accepted, but then when we paid the £25 sterling (bit steep, but a one off) he said we should not forget him too, i.e. tip!
The quad bike tour stopped half way for a drink in a mountain bar area, but they tried to sell us drinks before offering us a free local tea.
For £25 I expected a smartly edited DVD coverage of our quad bike trip. What we got was EVERY minute of footage he filmed, of everyone in the group, with some unnecessary digital balloons and fireworks over the top of it... RIP OFF!!!

1  Thank tonyb41
in 21 reviews
"booked trips"
in 39 reviews

Reviewed December 6, 2012

I booked a few trips through Sharm Excursions which included a 1 Day Cairo Trip by Plane, Mount Sinai, Glass Boat, Quad Biking and Buggy Safari. All the excursions were brilliant and the staff / guides were extremely friendly. I looked through various websites which offered excursions in Egypt and Sharm Excursions were by far the most competitive and so much cheaper than if you booked during your stay in Sharm. I was maybe a touch concerned when paying the 10% deposit but after reading all the positive reviews on this company I was fairly comfortable going ahead with them. The process was simple and straightforward from the point of paying the deposit to meeting someone from Sharm Excursions at the hotel lobby. We arranged to meet at 8.30am and a guy named Sammi was already there waiting for us. We paid the remaining balance and received full and final confirmation of all our trips. A personal touch was when we met Mohamed during our Cairo trip around lunch time. He introduced himself and asked if everything was going well. Towards the end of the day we met Mohamed again at the pyramids where we all thoroughly enjoyed his company and thanked him for a great day out. Our guide at the Cairo trip was Abdul who was the best guide we could have asked for. He was extremely knowledgeable and very entertaining. All our other trips were just as exciting as the Cairo trip and we would like to thank Mohamed and all his staff for making our holiday so special. Thank you guys and hope to meet you again in the very near future.

1  Thank was101
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Having used Sharm Excursions a few times I can safely say they are brilliant. All the guides we dealt with were fantastic and tailored the excursions to meet our needs. The trip to Cairo was absolutely amazing. Our tour guide Abdo is as good as they get. He is very knowledgable and had a great sense of humour. Not to mention was a great photographer and can take all the cheesy photos you want with the pyramids without an additional charge! Lunch is included in the trip and there were additions to the excursion including a boat ride on the river Nile and camel riding. Both of which I recommend. At lunch the owner Mohammed also paid us a surprise visit, which was a lovely touch. All in all the day to Cairo was perfect and the highlight if my holiday. I would definitely recommended it. Sharm Excursions did well to keep us safe.

The tour of Sharm is for those who want to experience a bit of culture. Our guide Karim was fantastic and tailored the tour to meet our needs. Visiting Old Sharm with him ensured we weren't pestered by market traders as he waved them away. Karim was a lovely guide, he knew his way around Old Sharm and also treated us to lunch in a traditional Egyptian restaurant.

Sharm excursions is a fantastic company with excellent guides. I'd like to thank Abdo and Karim for making our holiday truly memorable.

1  Thank Hajra-H
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Booked almost all excursions and transfers here. You will not find better prices in Sharm, great value for money. The best trip was to Mount Sinai, amazing experience you have to try once in your life, very tiring as well and don't forget warm cloths! Snorkeling at Blue Hole was also breathtaking, looking forward to come back there for diving.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 4, 2012

After reading other reviews we booked a trip to Cairo with Sharm excursions. The deposit was collected at our hotel on our first day and details for the trip left with us.
The whole trip can be split into two parts. The amzing cairo.... and the bus trip!!
If you have some spare cash then please book the day trip with flight. The bus trip is long and from our experience really cold. The dessert at 04:00 does not require air conditioning and made our journey quite uncomfortable. The journey back was very poorly informed and again very cold. A long wait for other buses to convoy safely through the dessert was not informed to us and we sat for almost one and a half hours with no information on our return journey.
That said, we were visiting Cairo at a difficult political time with protests evident but felt very looked after and after being dropped off and separated to the Sharm tours guide we had a great day. Maya our guide was most informative and provided everything expected (even though I've never had a guide before in my life) and provided great information for the museum and pyramids. A little extra charge for nile trip and camels at pyramids was explained at our hotel before we left and we decided to do both and are very glad we did. For £10 each trip, it had to be done whilst we were there and enhanced our day. No hard sell was given for these extras but i'd recommend both of them. The paper museum and the aroma oil shop were a nice extra but maybe not a neccesity.
Nice to see Mohammed who I believe to be the company boss join us at one point to check our day was OK and offer a little gift and ask for our views of the day.
In summary, a well organised cheaper than hotel reps day out with a killer bus journey. Just time to mention Maya again... (She said to mention her) (She was very good though)

1  Thank Paul W