“Wonderfull New Year”

The Grand Hotel Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #68 of 233 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed January 10, 2014

From arrival on boxing night to leaving on the 3rd Jan staff at this hotel made the stay a great relaxing break. The quick check in and arrival at the suite of our luggage was a surprise.
Not having a holiday till late last year we decided to splash out on a sea view junior suite, and the view certainly didn't disappoint. The suite itself however not worth the almost £2000 paid for 7 night stay. Suite was very tired and worn and in need to a lot of TLC. which is a real shame as the rest of the hotel is immaculate.
Achmed the room attendant kept everything spotless, the pool towels were changed every evening with new water. (might be an idea to tip the second day of your stay, a recommendation from another guest, it certainly got us great service)
Do try the speciality restaurants - fusion especially along with the carribean on the beach have amazing food. Although the food in the main Sharm hall was good it was nice to be able to try different styles. The egg chefs cook fresh omelettes to order every morning and they were exceptional. Getting a high 5 and warm smile is a great way to start the day.

Youseff and the boys at the terrace relax pool bar kept drinks topped up, and always greeted us with a smile. Once you say no a few times the spa reps tend to leave you alone, although my pedicure new years eve was fantastic, and Samir has a great sense of humour.
On the day we took a wander around we were impressed by the overall standard, the size and upkeep, and the amount of staff keeping the grounds clean, so again it brought home the fact its a shame the rooms have been left to fall into dis-repair. in fairness we were offered another suite after complaining, but on hearing quite a few had moved rooms already for 1 reason or another we politely declined a swap and decided to keep the view.
Paying the Add - on for the news year gala was worth it for the entertainment and stunning menu, (however we did find out the Sharm all inclusive had just as good a menu, inspite of the rushed sittings) but do look at all the menu's for any additional charges which will add up if you don't keep an eye on them.
Talking of add ons, you have to pay extra for a tea / coffee tray, and then you get to play the 'will it be refreshed without us reminding them' game. Generally we had to ring everyday, and a few hours later someone would show up with more supplies.
All in all a fantastic break that we both needed, however certainly not a 5 star hotel, but definitely 5 star staff.

Room Tip: depends if you want a view but the sea view suits are roomy
1  Thank Angela A
Write a ReviewReviews (4,713)

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We couldn't have asked for a better way to see in the new year than being treated like a king and queen at the beautiful grand hotel. we paid just over £900 each everything included for the week which was the most expensive week of the year to book any hotel in Egypt so we were hoping for a brilliant hotel. what we got exceeded our expectations. Our room, the main hotel, pools , beach and grounds were immaculate and were being cleaned constantly. The private beech is brilliant and excellent if your into your watersports, snorkelling or swimming. whilst the missus was catching the sun I was out waterskiing on the warm sea every morning then on a sun bed for the afternoon having beers placed in my hand regularly by one of the many staff "brilliant".
Now the food, we wobbled out of the main buffet 3 times a day having had a brilliant choice and variety of good fresh food or on a couple of occasions just having had a plate full of donuts for breakfast. every meal was brilliant and new years eve was unbelievable. We were overwhelmed by the presentation and attention to detail that had gone into the evening meal it was faultless.
Our room was cleaned everyday by an extremely friendly and pleasant man called Abdul who surprised us everyday by turning our towels into animals "a very nice touch" I suggested to the missus that we should bring him home to tidy our house "she wasn't impressed". we loved every minute of our stay and believe it to be excellent value for money, if you can get to this hotel in school term time the price drops considerably and it would be the bargain of the century ! Now there are a few poor reviews on here but don't pay to much attention you always get your whingers. compared to the rest of sharm el sheik and most of its hotels the grand is a palace and by Egypt standard it is 5*. Its obviously not London 5* standard so I challenge all you whingers and moaners to see how much you would get for £900 in a 5* hotel over new year in this wet miserable country, Not a lot im guessing which is why you went to Egypt ! So take it for wat it is focus on the hundreds of wonderful aspects of this hotel (don't whinge and moan) and you may just have the best week of your lives like we did !

3  Thank Kristian C
gm_grandsharm, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you very much for having been again our guests recently and for taking the time to share your valuable feedback about your vacation experience and as well for your highly appreciated recommendation.

It makes us so happy, that we could meet your needs and holiday expectations, so that you enjoyed a fabulous week at our hotel upon your trip to Egypt.

We are awaiting you for your return visit soon to have more unforgettable vacation days at our resort.
Iskender Gedelec

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We have stayed here 3 times, 2 x 14 days August and July 2010 and 2011 and last year May 2012 for 1 week. What can I say, the hotel is gorgeous, the staff are amazing and go out of their way to help, food was lovely - breakfast eggs and omelettes and pancakes all cooked fresh for you in the morning, the hot sandwich baguette bar is delicious and the pancake and ice cream in the afternoon is to lovely too. The pool bar at lunchtime serves burgers/hotdogs and chips, and 2 other restaurants one of the beach and on on top of the hill really nice, you can book into 2 restaurants 1 or 2 in your stay but you have to book in the morning to get in for that week. There are 7 pools really nice and clean, the beach is man made but nice, the sea is just off the beach and very deep but amazing, you get to this by steps down, but it is amazing - the amount of fish is unreal.
We will be going back to the hotel but we are trying another hotel in the group this year. There is a shuttle bus to Naamba bay , nice restaurants and pubs and shopping, we go diving so we go on the boats 3 -4 days of our holiday, you can even get breakfast to take away with you. Thank you to the hotel staff and management for our lovely holidays at this hotel, keep up the good work.

Room Tip: We had a sea view suite down by the pool to right of beach, we had requested this at the travel agen...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie G
gm_grandsharm, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Debbie,
On behalf of Grand Hotel Sharm management and employees, we would like to our sincere appreciation for taking time to review our Hotel and giving us such a wonderful feedback. It is with deep pleasure to learn that you are satisfied with our hotel service and facilities. Rest assured that we will pass on your compliments to our team. Once again, thank you and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the nearest future.
Best regards
Iskender Gedelec

Reviewed January 9, 2014

This is now my second review as my first one was deleted by the hotel. Let me explain.
We arrived at 9.30pm on the 28th December for a family break. We were shown to 3 very tired rooms and then went for something to eat in the Sharm restaurant. We assumed that as it was near the end of service the food was not at it's best and therefore accepted the situation as we were late.
Our first night was met with several mosquito bites but apart from that we had a comfortable nights sleep.
The following morning after the welcome meeting we asked to see other rooms. This request was accommodated very quickly by the hotel however the rooms we were shown were just as bad as the original so we stayed put.
Food in the main restaurant was average with hot food being tepid however Fusion was the best, closely followed by Olive and the Indian restaurant. Unfortunately you had to pay for your drinks in the Indian and our 2 bottles of wine cost us over £70.00 as well as 3 family members being ill the next day.
The special Gala meal on New Years eve was being charged as an extra (£45.00 per head which would have amounted to an extra £270.00) even though we were all inclusive. We opted out of this and went to the Sharm buffet which surprisingly was very good if not rushed as there were 3 sittings and we were on the middle one and felt rushed.
The special entertainment in the Animation Bar was dire. We had to pay to get in and then we watched very amateur sketches by the animation team. There was very little atmosphere as there was hardly any one there.
The grounds were great, staff friendly and accommodating. The service was good especially in the bars and around the hotel pool areas and the whole place was very clean. Snorkeling was good and the beach area great.
Food from the beach, cliff top and pool bar eateries were average and what you asked for on the menu sometimes didn't arrive. The creperie and waffles were great.
We had a great trip in the dessert on dune buggies with Sayed who was very good and this trip was well organised.
Whilst at the hotel I submitted my feedback to Tripadvisor the day before we were due to leave.
In the afternoon I had a message from the reception asking if I would please contact them. This I did and was told that the management would like to speak to me regarding my comments on Tripadvisor. I went to speak to a manager and explained why I was not completely satisfied. I was pleased that they had taken the time and trouble to contact me to find out what the problems were and if they could address them in any way however I was not pleased that I was offered 'incentives' if I would withdraw my Tripadvisor comments. I said I would speak to my wife regarding this request and made it quite clear that I had not made these comments to get 'freebies'. I wanted further guests to know what to expect.
The following morning I met with the management and stated that I was not prepared to withdraw the Tripadvisor feedback but would amend it to say I was happy that they had bothered to contact me. Whilst trying to access Tripadvisor in their office I was using my password to get into my account. For some reason we could not access it and I left stating that as this was our last day I would amend and update my comments later on in the day or when I got home. We went and sat by the pool and very shortly a member of staff came and told me that they had been able to access Tripadvisor and had deleted my feedback. This was totally contrary to what I wanted to do.
When we went to checkout and pay our bills a manager was called who stated that as we were not totally satisfied he would give us a discount. He then asked me to sign a form which stated that I was happy with the outcome and that I would not make any further comments regarding this issue. I stated that I was not happy signing the form and that I would pay our bill in full. After a telephone call he stated that I did not need to sign the form and that the discount was still going to be given.
We have stayed in Egypt several times and had much better experiences and accommodation in other hotels which run all inclusive packages and are rated 5 star. Maybe we were just unlucky on this occasion.

Steve Bacon

Dear Mr. Steve,
Thx for your commend ,
Hotel Management

Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is a very frustrating review to have to write as I so want to be positive about our stay here over New Year. They are trying hard but sadly in our opinion, it’s not a five star hotel which is why it is a long way down the trip advisor ratings. Overall, we had a lovely holiday so I’ll start with the good points;

The grounds are absolutely fantastic with the largest range of sun loungers, pools and outdoor areas I have ever seen. You don’t feel like sardines crammed in, instead you have a huge choice of where to sit and relax. There are a couple of jetties so you can watch the fish – keep your eyes open for all the crabs on the rocks as well – when you spot them, you see loads!

The welcome from the hotel was also excellent with a duty manager who is always buzzing around the place checking everything from the temperature of food in the buffets through to checking the grounds and dealing with queries. It’s a great personal touch and she is very hands on.

The range of restaurants is excellent and I would thoroughly recommend Fusion, but after a few days, the food in the Sharm restaurant (the all inclusive main buffet) became very ‘samey’. I was fed up with the same dishes after ten days. The other problem is that the fish was all processed in some way – either breaded or mixed into dishes with a sauce – to get truly fresh fish, you have to pay at one of the other restaurants.

The main problem though is that the place is just a bit old and tired looking. We booked a junior suite for a special birthday but I was so surprised when I arrived that I had to check with reception that they had put us into a suite! For a 5 star junior suite, just think what you would expect….at the least, a bath robe, slippers, plenty of towels and comfort. Instead, the water temperature and pressure were totally random, freezing one minute and boiling the next. Although the bed was large, the sheets were very thin and it wasn’t very comfortable. The basics were missing like a towel rail, tea and coffee making facilities and a shelf in the shower. I seriously suggest the management visit a five star hotel in Vegas to compare!!!

We also had a problem with mosquitoes in the room on several nights and only realised at the end of the holiday that there was a huge gap in the frame of the patio door which had been letting them in. The management arranged to have the room sprayed a couple of times, but the fumes are incredibly strong.

We also had complete confusion with reception staff about whether there was a gym. One guy told us it was being refurbished, another told us they didn’t have one and the next told us that they had an agreement with the hotel next door. Needless to say that the hotel next door were very unhelpful and wouldn’t even let us see it without telling us to return with a passport and introduction from our hotel! So no, there is no gym!

I know this is hit and miss but I also took exception to the guy who made our room up each day. It was completely random when he turned up, we had a different number of towels delivered each day and I thought the standard of cleaning overall was poor. I stopped scaring myself after the first day when I looked at the walls and curtains up close. Surprise surprise though, on the final night, he suddenly had made loads of extra effort with a flower on the bed, sheet art and an over supply of towels – yes, we get the message, you want a tip!!! I would have left one if he had been consistent throughout but it’s close to begging.

Overall a lovely holiday and they are trying hard but I would be looking to stay in another 5 star rated more highly by Trip Advisor for next year. I’d urge the management to take these points into account as I say them with the best of intentions.

Room Tip: Close to the sea are better views but more steps to climb
2  Thank snowqueen75
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Returned last week after having a fantastic time at the Grand Hotel. We chose this hotel to stay for our honeymoon and was the perfect place for some winter sun. The hotel is ideal for couples and families who are looking to relax. The food is amazing and a great choice. The staff are so friendly and definitely deserve the 5 star status for the way they treat you, they make you feel very welcome. Would be good to have a heated pool as missed diving in to cool off but that is the only thing I would have changed. Definitely would go back again if in need of a relaxing break.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank clarelcooper
gm_grandsharm, General Manager at The Grand Hotel Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting review a bout your stay with us. We are all so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to hit our goal of satisfying every guest - every time!, Your positive feedback is very much appreciated and inspiring.
We hope to host you again in the future and do not hesitate to contact us when you will return in Sharm El Sheikh it will always be a pleasure to meet you.
Thank you to have chosen Red Sea Hotels for your holidays.
And Happy New Year
We wish you all the best.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed at The Grand over Xmas for my 40th birthday. We had a fantastic 2 weeks made better by the wonderful staff throughout the hotel. From housekeeping, gardeners right up to management they were all so friendly & nothing was too much trouble for them.
Fusion restaurant was exquisite, amazing food & the staff made my birthday celebration very special, thank you Mahmood & staff. We spent many lazy days by the relax pool with our 3 children & the pool/bar staff were superb, Moustaffa, Ameer & Abd thank you for entertaining our youngest little man & looking out to him, going the extra mile.
Dee & her customer relations team were also great.
Our housekeeping chap was brilliant, we enjoyed his towel art & attention to detail.
A heated pool would of been nice, the pools were freezing but that said it didn't deter us from taking a dip!!
Overall a fantastic holiday made better by the people we encountered.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we succeeded in making your holiday the best one ever. Thank you so much for your detailed review. Your positive feedback is very much appreciated and inspiring. We look forward to welcoming you back again. Warm regards from all of us in Sunny Sharm, The Hotel Management.