“A Honest and Truthful Review of our Holiday”

The Grand Hotel Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #70 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
kingston upon hull
“A Honest and Truthful Review of our Holiday”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

After reading over the last couple of months some negative reviews about the Grand Hotel we have to pinch ourselves and ask are these people staying at the same hotel as us and if so why are they not speaking to the Hotel Management who are all very visible and approachable around the hotel about their problems
We have just returned from our 4th visit to the Grand Hotel in 3 years and we are constantly amazed how we enjoy it more and more each time we go. From arrival to departure we had an absolutely faultless holiday. Mr Booker the General Manager was in the reception when we arrived and when he recognised us he came straight across and joined us for a drink and catch us up with 'news from the hotel' whilst everyone was checking in
We made our own way to our room as we knew the layout of the hotel from previous visits and where delighted to find our suitcases already waiting for us outside. The room had a wonderful sea view, a huge bathroom but most importantly was extremely clean and bright with lots of wardrobe space
All the staff remembered us and where delighted to see us. Over the first few days we joked about our AI bands having a GPS on them as staff kept appearing from everywhere to welcome us back
We had breakfast at the Reef Restaurant as it was close to our room. there was always a good choice and we never had a problem with cutlery. plates or mugs and tables where always cleared as soon as someone left them
For lunch we mainly ate at the Cliff Restaurant where the guys really looked after us with some amazing salads nothing was too much trouble for them and we always managed to spend longer over lunch than planned as the drinks just kept flowing
Our evening meals where spent either in the Mexican. Olive or the Fusion Restaurants. We where made to feel special in all 3 of these Restaurants the service and attention to detail was second to none. All 3 serve amazing food but we must say a special thank you to 'Mickey Mouse' for the most amazing seafood!!
Alaa again was a star he never stops whether he is cleaning the pool or getting you your drinks. this man has always got a smile on his face and he is the politest most sincere man you will ever meet even when guests are rude to him for no reason he remains polite and calm
Every member of staff played their part in making sure we had another fantastic holiday and it is easy to forget how hard they all work and the long days they spend in extreme heat. We have never met one single member of staff in our 4 visits to the Grand Hotel that has been rude to us everyone is friendly and always eager to help
Mr Booker keep up the good work after speaking to your staff they all have a lot of respect for you and the way you are running the hotel!!
See you again in September or October
Ian and Amanda Dixon

6 Thank amanda d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (979)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Im going to keep this review short, I firstly want to say that after booking a last minute holiday to The Grand Hotel and upon reading the reviews online i was slightly panic stricken! Anyone reading this thinking the same please don't be alarmed! i feel some of the reviews are very unfair and i saw no evidence of any of it in my stay!
we arrived at 10pm and they had set up tables in the restaurant so we could have something to eat ,once we did this they checked us into our room, it was nice. it had the basics, a nice bed, TV, side tables and desk and a Bathroom, the room was nice not but fancy, we had a nice Balcony and the room is cleaned daily with beach towels being changed in the evening, the Bar areas are very good you can pick up bottle water from around 3 bars and in most areas of the hotel people wait on you and bring you a variety of drinks,
I found the food to be very good, there are 2 restaurants that are self service, there is one in the main lobby and then one down towards the beach (this is the one we ate in as it's a lovely view and a much nicer restaurant) there is also 6 other restaurants that you can book in to eat but no more than 2 nights in advance, the food in these are lovely and we had no problems booking a table we use to wonder up to the desk every day around 10.30 after breakfast and choose a restaurant to eat in for the following night, for lunch time they have around 6 - 7 restaurants serving different foods aswell as a waffle and pancake bar, i found the food selection very good and the food was very nice! only negative is that a few of the bar staff can be a bit rude, we always managed to get a sunbed but up near the top pool all the sunbeds are gone by around 6.30am which didnt bother us as we were happy to go anywhere but if you did have a preference then you would need to get there early.
Overall i would say this was a ncie hotel and if i had to mark it i would say it was a 4*

1 Thank gemma p
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I will start with the positive first. Our room was very nice, well worth the extra for a junior suite. The guy who cleaned our room did an excellent job and so couldn’t fault the cleaning at all. The grounds and pools are wonderful, very well kept.
The staff at this hotel are very helpful and nothing is too much trouble. I would like to make a special mention for Mamood (Relax Pool Manager) who helped us each day to get a sun bed, to Alaa who kept us supplied with drinks at the pool and the overall bar manager (Armad) and the Guest Relations Manager (Sam), who both generally helped us.
It is a shame about some of the problems that let this hotel down (I would grade it 4 star for rooms and pools, but 3 star for food). I thought all inclusive meant all inclusive, but here it doesn't. You have to pay for drinks in the reception and roof top bar (which by the way was never open) and extra for food and drinks in many of the A La Carte restaurants. Upon arrival we were taken to reception and seated for check-in. This was fairly painless, however we then had to follow numerous guests to their rooms with only one escort, and having travelled for hours, being tired and irritable, this is not really acceptable, it took in excess of 30 minutes to get to our room and guess what, we were the last....
The food on the whole is pretty bad. There are several A La Carte restaurants, but you have to pay in some of these, so you need to know what you are booking. Also, to book, you have to queue up in reception at 10am every morning to book for the following evening, they don’t allow you to book in advance. This wasn’t a particular hardship, but as our room was down by the beach, it was a bit of a needless trek each morning. It would have been nice to have the facility to book by phone or in advance, rather than attend in person. The meals in the A La Carte restaurants were not of a particularly good quality or service (certainly not 5 star). The meals in the buffet were very poor, we travel a lot and I think this is one of the worst buffet restaurants we have ever encountered.
Now for the sun beds.... This is what completely ruined my holiday. I had read the reviews a week prior to our holiday and couldn't believe what I was reading.. Well it was all true. By 7am, the sun beds were all taken. This was a real shame, as although Mamood helped us each day to find a sun bed by the Relax bar, we did not have choice over where we could sit and there was always controversy when the owners of the sun beds returned. Also, I do not like to get up early when I am on holiday, but by the end of the holiday, my husband would get up early each morning to try to secure some beds, not making for a relaxing break.

Room Tip: Go for a Junior Suite
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Just returned from a 10 night stay at this hotel with my boyfriend for our anniversary. The grounds are amazingly beautiful but there were a few negatives! Overall had such a relaxing holiday and I do wish I was still there enjoying the sun. Unfortunately i won't be returning to this hotel although its a five star hotel, don't expect the same standard as a five star here. The main let downs were the food and the staffs poor people skills.

Starting with pros:
The variety of pools was lovely the pools are very very clean with breathtaking views of them throughout the hotel, I was very impressed. You definitely could always find something to do in the resort. me and my boyfriend both had full body massages they were lovely but you have to haggle the price down as they do try to charge extortionate prices if you don't! There was table tennis which was fun after a few drinks! The animation team were great and very entertaining with different entertainment every night. If you like to have a few drinks I would recommend a vodkanini such a refreshing drink! Loved how the drinks were served so cold with ice. The staff in the Reef lobby are very polite and even remembered mine and my boyfriends drinks they even remembered that I always had a straw such a lovely touch! It's not a lot of money to go here so you get what you pay for!

Taxis in the hotel are expensive we did go with them at first but then realised we were being ripped off and went with the taxis just outside of the resort which we haggled right down to 30 LE which is the equivalent to £3 one way! The taxi men in the resort realised we stopped going with them they then matched our price every time so we got a much lower price than everyone else. Make sure you do it to people!!! Tell them they've charged you a lot less outside of the hotel and they will budge ;) a little bit of money is better than loosing out on business for them! Also make sure you have your haggling hat on my boyfriend was amazing at it and managed to save us £££,s!!! Don't be afraid! We done all of our excursions with an outside company in Naama bay called bluesharm! It has a big puma sign on top of the shop name. You'll see it just when you get into Naama bay. They were very pleasant and lovely to do excursions with and gave us a very good price saving 50% by not doing them directly with the hotel. Thanks to Ousamma one of the shop owners. Naama bay can be a bit to much at first with the hassle and pervy guys but you learnt to avoid it just ignore them and they leave you alone luckily i had my boyfriend to tell them where to go!! they often asked if we were married! on the other hand it was so fun at night, loved it we went so many times. so much to do! We went to Soho square I think the ice bar is a bit overrated however theres an amazing water fountain display every hour which was romantic!!

Just a few cons..
We arrived at the hotel being so amazed at how beautiful the hotel was however when we were shown to the room without hesitation we had to go to reception and have the room changed. It looked old, dusty and dirty the bathroom was so small you could barely move with the toilet, shower and sink so close together. Was not 5* at all. The reception staff were mainly miserable with very bad English and no customer service skills at all!!! That was a let down :( the majority of the staff were very badly mannered you did get some lovely staff in the reef lobby and restaurant! They were our fav places. The terrace bar was often packed and most of the staff were rude and it felt as if they were always in a rush. The men can be pervy for example in the roof top shisha bar the man tried to take a picture with me my boyfriend had to push him away which was a tad awkward for they guy lol! We then went and both had a facial which daren't I talk about! I am a beauty therapist so I know what to expect well where to start?! their facial had to be the worst facial i have ever had with the therapists cutting their nails whilst I'm sitting there waiting to be pampered they did not even wash their hands before either and completely mucked up my boyfriends beard and started threading tiny hairs on his face!!! avoid the beauty treatments very unprofessional!!! Massages were lovely though!

I can be a fussy eater/ person however my boyfriend is easy going and rarely has anything bad to say he even had to agree with this review! The food was so bland most of the time with mainly the same food out. The A la carte restaurants were beautiful and laid out much nicer and you found their customer service skills were of a better standard. Avoid the Sharm buffet it was awful we ate there on our first night and had breakfast there to both times me and my boyfriend had to leave hungry the food definitely tasted like low budget food. Not what you expect for a five star hotel! The orange and pineapple juice was all watered down yuck! I would recommend the Reef restaurant for breakfast and lunch! The food was good they provided freshly made omelettes, fried eggs and pancakes for breakfast this was yummy! If you are a women then be prepared to be served last I ordered my food first however the chef gave food to the guy behind me who hadn't been waiting as long which i thought was a tad sexist.

Don't be put off with my review it's very mixed. the hotel was not awful just not a five star like in England! Which you cant expect in a country like Egypt! Although there were a few cons I still had such a fab time!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 521 which we had to change! Our standard room which was in block 26 room 454 was pretty d...
1 Thank Simonesgh
Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We was at this hotel in June and was expecting a 5 star but what did we get in my opinion a 3 star
Our 1st room that was allocated to us was dark and dirty and in need of an update. Our 2nd room better but still in need of updating. The tables in the reef restaurants were covered with glass which we found jagged on the edging and was dangerous. Many of the umbrellas around the pool areas were torn and broken. The hotel rule regarding towels on sunbeds before 7am was never enforced so no beds available. In the 2 weeks we were there we only had sunbeds 4 times. On an upnote I found the food good, varied and plentyful. I was not keen on Egypt and don't think that we will return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lorraine h
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Do not be put off by any dubious reports about this hotel, we have just returned after our second visit this year, our fourth stay here. When you arrive you are welcomed by the staff who arrange for your luggage to be taken to your room, the reverse is the case when you leave. The range of restaurants is really excellent, you can book to dine in one of several al-a- carte restaurants, we used The Olive, Fusion and the Mexican, these restaurants would not be out of place in any city in the world, superb food and excellent service, there are also several self service restaurants. Too many pools to count, with beautiful grounds and a sea side location, This all inclusive should not be confused with the European version, no waiting at understaffed bars, waiter service.The hotel staff are ever helpful. We have just returned at the hight of the troubles, no evidence of any problems, the staff claiming that every one there was very happy with the situation. I would not hesitate to go back again. Another plus is that unlike almost every hotel we have stayed at, you are not thrown out of your room at 11am on the day of departure, but can use the room until one hour before your coach pick up.

1 Thank brian b
Lillestrøm, Akershus, Norway
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I must say that after this holiday I will always visit only The Grand Hotel. And I have visited many hotels in Sharm el sheikh before. This hotel wins. It is really perfect hotel with everything what you can dream on. Beautiful beach with snorkeling, big swimming pools, lovely garden and so excellent restaurants and bars with theirs staff. All bartenders and waiters were so nice, mainly Mr Sherif. He helped us every time we needed. I think he was working everywhere. One minute on the beach bar, one minute on the pool bar or the Terrace bar. Really good manager and he has wonderful staff. Thank you boys :) It was unforgetable holiday :) I will come soon...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family