“First timers in Sharm”

Ranked #70 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Durham, United Kingdom
“First timers in Sharm”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My self and a girl friend wanted a relaxing week away in the sun, First impressions of this hotel were wow, this looks lovely, bit confusing when you first arrive as you arent allowed to touch your cases, they do get delivered to your room for you which is lovely, but it should have been explained a bit better, as after loosing a suitcase once, ( not in Sharm I add ) I am fanatical about keeping an eye on my own case.
Once checked in which was pretty quick, we were escorted to our rooms, which as it was dark was very confusing as to where we were going,
The resort is huge and a map of the resort is supplied to you, I think if it was in colour it would be more helpful, rooms lovely albeit a little bit tired, our floor had a few broken tiles, but they werent sharp so not much of a problem, as others have said no where in shower to put toiletries etc, and no towel rails, I know its nothing major as the rest of the bathroom was lovely, plenty of space for all toiletries etc, on the sink units, lovely large mirror and plenty of light in bathroom, the main part of the room could be better lit as the lamps and wall lights dont offer much light, once out and into the resort, we found our way round pretty quickly, yes there are loads steps but it does warn you of this when you book, not a problem as we welcomed the excersise, food was lovely in all of the restaurants, Fusion and Olive were definatly my favorites, oh but then the Indian was very good too, Staff at the beach restauraunt always seems to be rushing around and not getting anywhere, all other staff were lovely and helpful, It was nice to see Mike the mangaer mingling with the guests during the day, we have no complaints about our week stay at the Grand, we did see people stopping him quite regular to complain, we are looking to return to the Grand about September time as we enjoyed it. The lad who cleaned our room for us was good, but possibly not as good as a woman, the room was kept clean but little touches like corners in the bathroom werent cleaned properly, as we were 2 single girls staying in our room, we had to do hair and make up etc in bathroom, often there were hairs still on the floor and not swept up properly, even though we tried to pick all hair up ourselves , corners were missed, I know its nothing major, but maybe staff need refreshing now and again, clean towels everyday were lovely, it was bliss not having to pack beach towels and getting clean ones delivered to your room every day. Overall, thoroughly enjoyed our weeks stay at the Grand and will deffo be back,
Thanks to Mike and all staff for all service recieved.

Room Tip: we were in block 23 room 435, was right in middle of everything, you could see sea from balcony,not...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gayle100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (979)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sheerness, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My first time in Egypt and I couldn't have wished for a nicer hotel. Plenty of choice for eating and had my birthday in the Fusion resturant and it was excellant. Lots of different pool areas and you could swim in the sea. Not for anyone who has trouble with steps as the pools and rooms are on different levels and I was told that there were about 155 to reach the sea from the main building! That said I loved the place and it was excellent value for the money. The Red Sea rep was also very helpful.

1 Thank KayBagpuss
Market Weighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We booked a Junior Suite and it was ok apart from there was nowhere to put your shower gel etc in the shower room so it had to go on the floor which was very difficult for my wife as she has difficulty with her balance. Also there was no towel rail. The room was kept clean and tidy.

After that it was all downhill. This is not an easy place to get around as there are a great many steps. I admit that it does say at the very end that it is not suitable for people with walking difficulties. This should be prominent on the first page so you know straight away. We did not notice it till after we had booked. The hotel offered to transport my wife up to the main lobby etc but this was in a pick up truck. There was no other transport available as far as I know. A golf buggy type trolley would be ideal for this.

At breakfast in the Reef Restaurant we had to ladle hot milk from a tureen into beakers. These were chipped and cracked. The cereal bowls were as often as not soup bowls with soup spoons. It often happened that the egg yolks were broken. There would be no sliced white bread for toast. Fresh Orange Juice came as a surcharge.

At the same restaurant for our evening meal which was of a very poor quality things were very much the same. The chef who served the meat would through it on your plate and glare at you as if to say you want more. Water comes in bottles which the waiters did not bother to open for you let alone bring you a glass to drink it out of. One evening I had a chip sandwich for my evening meal and that was in Pitta Bread as there was no other sliced bread. The quality of the food overall was abysmal. The couple who we were with had to draw the attention of the management to the dessert corner as there was little left and when they did replenish it they did not provide clean serving utensils until told. We did however have two meals in the Fusion Restaurant which were very good. The head waiter (Macmood) was very courteous and obliging. I had to return my starter of Duck on the first visit as it was inedible, but he rectified this offering an alternative.

The following day we went to the Relax Bar for lunch. This comprised of 2 burger and buns in a filthy serving basket which I would be ashamed to own. A few Crisps were served with it but no chips. Saying that, by the end of the holiday I was fed up of eating chips. We did go to the Beach Pool Bar which offered better fare but had limited opening times.

There are very few facilities. The entertainment was limited and only at the Main Lobby. There are few shops though they do offer a free shuttle bus to Naama Bay about 20 minutes away.

At the welcome meeting the General Manager said that he would prefer us to complain to him first rather than just posting a bad review on Trip Adviser. We did this but all we got were excuses and nothing was resolved. He stated that due to the revolution crockery etc had to be transported from Cairo which could take days or weeks. Apparently there are no facilities in Sharm for replenishing stock. When I mentioned to the hotel rep about the fact that this was supposed to be a 5 star hotel he replied yes but Egyptian 5 star not English. This hotel I would rate as a 2.5 star hotel at best. It needs general refurbishment and the management should ask themselves would they pay Over £550 for a week here, I think not.

Room Tip: Ask for a Junior Suite facing the sea. All the other look very closed in. Do think again if you have...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
gm_grandsharm, Guest Relations/GM at The Grand Hotel Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
It is always useful to have constructive feedback and rest assured, we take the appropriate action as required. There are times when we cannot totally agree with reviewers, however rather than discuss these in the public domain, we contact the guest personally.

Anyone thinking of staying with us, just needs to look at other reviews posted by guests who stayed around the same time and realise, they paint a very different picture of the hotel, the food and the facilities.

We have a wonderful and dedicated team here, excellent restaurants, superb facilities and the aim of achieveing total guest satisfaction.

Sincerely

The Grand Hotel Sharm El Sheikh
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Let me start by saying that if you have walking difficulties then this may not be the hotel for you as it has steep slopes and many many steps.
We stayed here from 28th Feb 2013 for 7 nights. .First impression on arrival was very good. and the provision of cool flannels to freshen up with after a long day travelling was very welcome.
We had booked a junior suit with sea views and were very impressed with the size of the room but the bathroom let itself down with the absence of some form of shelving or towel rail in the shower section resulting in having to pick up soap/gel/shampoo etc off the floor. The bathroom also had a "drain" smell that despite the cleaners' best efforts would not go away.
For the first time ever in 12 visits to hotels in Sharm I saw the hotel manager at the welcome meeting ..Mike is a nice guy, made us feel welcome and requested that if we had any issues to let him know and he would look into them...
Well, I am sorry to say that we had to approach Mike and the Red Sea rep on more than one occasion.......Our main complaint was the quality of the food in the 2 main restaurants...If you love very little choice, cold food, cups with cracks and chunks out of them, staff that do not replenish the food when it is running out until you tell them about it, oh, and my favourite ... ladling hot milk out of a soup urn to put in your tea or coffee then this is definately the place for you.....for a 5 star I expected better than that....I tackled Mike about it and he was surprised to find out this was happening, promised to do something, but a week later nothing had changed. Food was bland and the meat often overcooked.
On a plus note.......the food in the Fusion restaurant was excellent and our big thanks go to Mahmood who was the most helpful guy in the hotel.
One of our friends who was holidaying with us was recovering from a foot operation and to be fair to the front office they offered to provide transport around the hotel complex for her...we were quite surprised when a very old and very tatty pickup truck arrived to collect her when we took the hotel up on their offer.... didn't really portray a 5 star image...golf buggy type vehicle would have been far more suitable.
The day before we departed the hotel ran out of bottled water....emergency office sized water dispensers were located at a few points around the complex but when I asked the front office if we could use the water in the room mini bar in an emergency I was informed that I would be charged for them and maybe it would be better if I went to the supermarket up the road and purchased a few bottles at a cheaper rate..... bottled water had still not arrived by our day of departure. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse half of sharms' hotels were hit by a power cut on the day we left (not the hotels fault) meaning we couldn't shower or wash and were trying to collect our belongings out of the bathroom in near total darkness...
Overall my impression was that if the small problems were addressed and the quality of the food brought up to standard then this would easily be a true 5 star as the location and layout of the hotel is very good..
Sorry if this review sounds a bit negative but as seasoned visitors to Sharm we know what to expect and sadly this hotel fell well short of expectations.

Note for Mike...... you are a Yorkshire man ....you know what the English like..

Room Tip: Go for a junior suite with a sea view.
2 Thank Steve G
gm_grandsharm, GM/Guest Relations at The Grand Hotel Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hello Steve - thanks for your review and your comments have been noted. We have put a plan in to address some of the items you have discussed , so thanks for that.

I would like to cover the subject of the shortage of bottled water and the electricity and water on your last day with us:-

Sadly there was a massive fire in the bottling plant of the company who produces bottled water for over 60% of the hotels in Egypt. This led to severe shortages for one or two days. When you consider that we alone in this hotel gets through around 4000 bottles of water a day, to find a new supplier at short notice is exceptionally hard, however we have been successful and all was well fairly quickly.

On your last day here, we along with a number of other hotels in the area where hit by a power failure that lasted around five hours. Our emergency generators kicked in straight away but this did cause some inconveniences for a short time especially as our water pumps are driven by electricity and for three hours, we were without water too, but as you will appreciate, this was force majeure and out of control.

We have a wide variety of restaurants included in the all inclusive programme- these include the Indian, Mexican, Caribbean, Italian and Fusion Restaurant and the Pool Grill together with the Crepe and Sweet and Cliffe during the day. The two main stream restaurants in Reef and Sharm offer buffet food and a wide range of choices at each meal time are available in these.

We try very hard to meet guest expectations and your feedback is very useful.

Sincere regards from us all at the Grand Hotel Sharm El Sheikh
Halstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

This hotel is one of the best I have been to in Egypt, having been to Egypt 5 times. Myself and two friends stayed 14_21 st of Feb. We had standard rooms they were always kept clean and plenty of clean towels. There is plenty of choices of food so you would never be hungry. The pool areas are kept very clean and are waited on for your drinks. A special mention to Mahmould Helmy at my favourite pool he is part of the recreation team, he works very hard from early morning to Sun set. He always has a smile and knows exactly what your drink is. The manager made us feel very welcome as he tries to speak to every guest plus says good bye when you leave.Weather wise it was hot 29deg during the day a little chilly during the evenings. Sarah..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank bugalugs710
We were delighted to learn that you and your friends enjoyed your vacation at the Grand. Its great to know that our guests are satisfied enough to want to return! We look forward to meeting you all once again.

Best regards from us all at the Grand.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

we stayed here march 2.this is a very nice 4 star hotel. the entrance, grounds and reception area , yes, 5*. the staff very helpful, but the rooms are 3* and the bathrooms an atrocious 2*. the main dining restaurant is also a 3* area where the food is 3*+. so we decided to eat at the specially selected other all inclusive restaurants,eg.itallian,mexican,indian,carribean etc. they were absolutely brilliant, 10/10!! make sure you get a south/sea facing room because 50% are not. you cannot help but notice the presence of the larger than life manager mike booker. any problems he will sort it, very good. plenty of russians as always but most are well behaved .the beers and wines are ok and the spirits are pretty good for an all inclusive. take a jumper for the chilly evenings when its windy. taxis cheap to naama bay £3.50 Shockran!!!

Room Tip: south/sea facing
2 Thank SPAVINELLI
gm_grandsharm, Gm/Guest Relations at The Grand Hotel Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your review foloowing your stay with us. It was good to meet you whilst you were here.

We are delighted you enjoyed your holiday and thanks for the kind comments re our gardens- yes they are very nice and popular with our guests. The team work very hard and its good to know they are successful.

We are delighted you enjoyed our wide choice of a la carte restaurants. All guests are able to use these often without extra charge and are exceptionally popular. The main restaurants you talked about are ideal for more informal dining and offer a wide choice of options too and last evening included beautiful fresh Shrimps, Calamari and sea bass as well a steaks and succulent roasted chicken!

We have a wide range of rooms to choose from also. Some are undergoing a refurbishment plan but this is very discreet,so as not to disrupt any guests.

We have a wide range of nationalities in house at this time- the majority of guests are however from the UK , Germany and Scandinavia.

Once again, it was good to welcome you and your family here.

Best regards from us all at the Grand Hotel Sharm El Sheikh.
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a great holiday... Returned on Thursday 8th march. The hotel was fantastic... Couldn't be faulted. We had junior suite so not sure it these differed if quality to standard rooms. But the price difference was small hence we chose the suite. The pools were beautiful and there were 8 of them. The beach was nice... Only downside was the very large numbers of Russians on the beach who pretty much dominated it making it more difficult to get a beach lounger and umbrella... However more than enough poolside loungers and space..... The restaurants were great. Bookable in advance for all but the buffet restaurants... Seafood at the Cliff restaurant was the best seafood and fish I have had. This was not in the all inclusive page generally but still exceptional.. Compliments to Mahmood.... Plenty of drinks to choose from.... Most restaurants had an excellent choice of all inclusive options and a few that you could pay extra for...... 10 out of 10

Room Tip: Go for junior suites..... Not much more than the standard rooms but great views and I think they hav...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple