“Epic Fail for me.”

Colona Watersports Kite Surfing Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: Egypt's premier kiteboarding destination, located just south of Hurgada center with 1.6 km of beach and a huge sandbar offshore. IKO Affiliated centre with multilingual instructors! Always the latest gear for rental!
London, United Kingdom
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 154 helpful votes
“Epic Fail for me.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

I try kite surfing for first time and it was epic fail for me - i could not make it... ;( but it was enjoyable ... next time i ll do again..it look easy,but... anyway you have to try - at least for fun :)

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Viks2009uk

london
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“DO IT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2009

Zoe and I stumbled across Colona run by Kevin and Di when on holiday. We ummed and ahhed about getting lessons (cost and time mainly). Had a long chat with them about Kiting etc and decided to take the plunge. Worth every penny and we will be back, hopefully when we are good.

Why? I have wanted to learn for a while but never got round to it and thought that it would be impossibly difficult and not accessable. Kevin and Di took the time out to chat about the sport on our level and what we would be letting ourselves in for. Their passion showed, they are honest about the sport pros and cons etc, open and not fed up with talking to a couple of people for 40 minutes or so about learningkite surfing - the costs, the commitment required and where is best to do it. amongst other topics. This was us as casual passers by. Their passion was apparent all the time we were there and they were excellent hosts - fealt like we had been there for weeks not a day.

Once signed up, the IKO instructor, James was excellent - helpful, patient and relaxed and I would recommend him to anyone. Clear instructions, professional approach and this backed up with reason and making sure we had understanding (not just do as I say) - a good laugh too.

As for the setting - perfect. Not an expert on water and wind but very comfotable place to learn and when there was no wind we were happy to chill out at the shop where everyone is chatty and passionate about the sport.

Kite surfing appears to be very inclusive, I would recommend Colona to anyone. You don't have to be super cool or an expert to participate and this message comes through all the time, unlike alot of other sports... Thanks Kevin, Di, James hope to see you again soon.

Dublin
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great escape”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2009

I am a struggling level 2 kitesurfer and spent a week in January in Sharm el Sheikh. I contacted Colona watersports beforehand and they gave me all the advice regarding storage / rental etc.
On (nervous) arrival they were welcoming and reassuring and quickly got me togged out and on (in actually) the water.
As outlined in the previous review their facilities, equipment and location are superb. A very large bay with waist high water, plenty of assistants on the beach to prep, launch and land. Most of all Diane and Kevin were really supportive, patient and helpful, which makes all the difference when youre walking three miles backwards upwind each day. I would very much recommend their spot to both learners and accomplished kitesurfers.

bath
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great place to learn kite surfing!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2009

I am 38 year old female who runs a customer service based buisness in the uk, who mostly gets time off on holiday. I have been trying to learn kitsurfing for about 5 years mostly just on holidays (tarifa, cabarete, barbados, portugal) and the odd sunday in the summer in the uk. Finally after 5 years I am in the right place. It all came together at Colona mostly because it is the perfect place to learn, shallow, safe, flat water, with beach support to help you launch and land your kite and look out for you and 5 windy days out of 6.

I went from frustration in struggling to stay on the board and only being able to go down wind to flying along up and down wind and actually enjoying myself. Before I went to Colona I was almost ready to give up (and I know my boyfriend wanted me to)!

The set up at Colona is great, they have excellent kit storage facilities, a toilet and shower, free wifi, a fridge to keep your drinks cold and even a kettle for hot drinks! Kevin and Diane are really helpful and keen to get you out on the water, as well they are two really encouraging instructors (especially Adrain) and they have a excellent team of kite helpers who will watch you on the water and help you set up and launch and land your kite. There is also an air supply which saves time pumping the kite and also the guys are really helpful at washing down and rinsing your kit, in fact I feel embarressed at how lazy I was, but i guess that all helps you spend more time actually on the water kiting.

Our experience with Colona was excellent, we emailed them directly and booked the kite storage and booked the lesson when we got there.

Colona is linked to the Regency Plaza Hotel, we also booked directly with them. Rooms are clean and the staff are really friendly and helpful. It is an all inclusive so your food is included and it is surprisngly good just strange combinations (catering for too many nationalities). We moved rooms to be right by the kite centre and were luckily enough to be able to pick up the wifi signal from our room but the signal was fine at Colona.

I wore a short wet suit in January but would probably take a longer wetsuit in the winter months, next time (I would go back) probably in the winter for a week of sun and hopefully to practise more skills! I would definetly recommend that any beginner or intermediate kitesurfer go straight to Colonia watersports in Egypt ( it may save you 5 frustraing years)!

2 Thank chocochine
Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Dude, I Lost My Business Acumen”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2008

Maybe it's because I'm a forty-year-old guy who shouldn't be dabbling with extreme sports. Maybe it's because I live in a wealthy European country where fast, efficient customer service is the norm. Maybe the Sinai's oppressive heat has warped the sense of time of the staff, one member of which proudly told me he never consulted his watch. That would be my instructor.

To be fair, I received the instructional services for which I paid. E-mail correspondence with the outfit was a bit iffy: I had to pry for important details like location, start date and transportation. To say that this outfit is laid-back is an understatement: I've seen corpses with more pep.

It wasn't just the attitude of the instructor, who kicked off our lesson by telling me he taught kiting because he "didn't want a real job," but also the attitudes of the two people running the place. One manager joked about how he would jot down numbers (think cash here) on pieces of paper, promise himself he'd remember them, then make a hash of it by the end of the day. Dude, here's a tip: enter the information on the fancy computer in front of you. His partner forced me and another customer to wait a good twenty minutes while she had a conversation about real estate values with a third customer: should she buy or not? What a quandary!

If you're under thirty or a already a kiteboarder none of this might bother you: other customers seemed pleased enough. The more excited you are about the sport, the less anything other than time spent on the water will bother you. It wouldn't have made much of a difference to me if I hadn't been paying rather hefty first-world prices. When you charge as much as an outfit in the UK or the US, you should deliver comparable service, awesome local wind conditions hnotwithstanding.

1 Thank Elvetico