Tropicana Azure Club
Jaz Fanara Resort & Residence(Sharm El Sheikh)
$98
$123
$99
$50
1,405 results
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 6, 2008

Have just returned from this hotel having spent two weeks here at the end of November.
We had a very relaxing holiday in very nice surroundings in the lovely warm egyptian sunshine.

Check in was quick and easy. We were offered a pool view room on the 3rd floor of block 5. As there are no lifts the porters bring your bags to your room for you about 5 mins after you get there. We were very pleased with our room. It had two doulble sized beds, a table and 2 chairs and a great shower room.
The view from our room out across the pool area was great.

The pool area itself looked very nice. There were plenty of loungers and we never had a problem getting one at about 0930 each day. The pool itself was deserted as it was absolutely freezing. I've been in the sea in Blackpool in October and it wasn't as cold as this pool.(it's supposed to be heated).
The animation team did games and dance lessons throughout the day. I'm not quite sure why they insist on blaring out music all day though. I'm there to relax, if people want to listen to music they should use i-pods!

Meals were in general very good and tasty. The food served round the pool bar would benefit from a little variation though.
We ate at both the Italian and Chinese restaurants and really enjoyed the food and service in both.

The evening entertainment was the bog standard fare, although the Russian dance group put on 2 very professional shows. The waiters worked very hard keeping our glasses filled every evening, especially Ahmed who is the best waiter i've ever met in an A.I resort. Just as we were leaving they were preparing to open up the ampitheatre for entertainment. This should take some pressure off the lobby bar which gets packed very quickly.

Lots of reviews have had a go at the Russian tourists. I myself didn't find them rude or loud. It's just a little frustrating not being able to communicate with them.

All in all we had a good holiday. I would't go back just because i didn't like the area the hotel was situated in.

5  Thank imbrugliasboy
Reviewed November 29, 2008

This was my first holiday away with my boyfriend and after checking reviews on trip advisor, positive and negative I was a little worried what to expect.

Airport is a nightmare, very unorganised, just be prepared for a wait and to be a bit confused! It does get hot , maybe good idea to take a bottle of water with you from the flight!! Security seems to go on for ever.

First impressions of hotel were good, reception staff friendly , we were lucky when we arrived that were the only two couples, did notice another time that it did look a bit congested , welcome drinks are given. You get shown to your rooms, and a porter brings up your bags. We were offered a room looking over the pool.

Rooms are spacious, clean and plenty of storage space. Loved the shower! Airconditioning was good but the rooms seem to keep cool so hardly had to have it on. Rooms are cleaned everyday and towels are replaced. Also there is a mini fridge idea to keep your bottles of water , available free from the bar in the reception. And a safe.

After showering and changing, dumped our bags and headed for the bar. Drinks available free til 12.00. Stuck to the lager which was ok, only 4% so would have to drink alot to feel the effects! We did miss dinner so picked up some pringles from the shop which sold snacks, pens, suntan lotion etc, I'm sure a little bit more expensive.

Bar area was a little small, but we always managed to get a seat, you may just have to seat with other holiday makers. There is an outdoor area with the evening entertainment , very cheesy but at least there is something to watch. Don't know what people expect, the animation team try and get everyone involved. Does get a bit chilly on the evening. They have a disco on every evening and although our room was nearby you could hear the music but by 12.00 it turned off.

Bar staff are great, friendly and look after you well, be prepared for alot of cheers mate, ok darling from them, they love a bit of banter and they don't seem to expect a tip from you, but it goes a long way and they will remember and look after you.

Food in the restaurant is ok, don't know people expect for fully inclusive, although I feel for vegetarians, their choice is very limited!! I will eat anything so I found there were always something different to eat. We ate from the pool bar at lunchtime mostly, just snacks of chicken wings, tiny beefburgers and chips.

We tried out the chinese and italian restaurants which is a nice change , not alot of choice but both were nice. Did venture out into Naba Bay for the evening, courtsey bus goes at 7pm and goes back at 10pm or 11.30 (which is chargeable) we visited Hardrock Cafe for food, which broke up the holiday. Naba Bay is about 40 minutes. Lots of shops for duty free, bags and jewellery.

Pool area is nice, always managed to get a sun bed, they give you fresh towels every day. Sun was out from 7ish but did go down by around 4ish, so having the telly with some channels which show movies was good to pass the time.
The animation team provide entertainment during the day , aqua gym, darts, dancing etc if you want to take part , it's always optional. They is also a massage tent, which was very popular but didn't have one people did seem very impressed with it. Good offers for a full massage.

Did walk over to the Grand Azure to see the beach which was quite nice, definitely our hotel was nicer, the Grand Azure is too big and looks like a big butlins!

Overall i would recommend this hotel, it is very clean, friendly, the staff do not stop working. I know from other reviews that the hotel wasn't quite finished and I do feel for them although this was earlier in the season. They are still finishing off the theater and even we had our sunbeds near but their work didn't bother us. It was the lawn mowing that was more annoying, but it does need to be done.

There are plenty of trips to go on, we were a bit lazy and didn't bother. Thought I'd escaped the dreaded Egyptian tummy but I did get it two days before I came home. I even took probiatic tablets a month beforehand, had anti-bacterial hand wash with us at all times especially after handling money. I think you are just very lucky if you don't get ill. People blame it on everything, the food, water, sun etc. Trouble is if you avoid everything then what kind of holiday would you have. I bought some stuff from the pharmacist next door, which I was told was probably more expensive there, but it did the trick, the stomach cramps were worst than the other. They give you tablets for both.

Enjoy your stay , it's what you make it.

Ps Yeah there are lots of Russians, who are rude, don't tip and some are loud. Ignore them, but their fashion sense provides you with a laugh.

7  Thank watsyBristol
Reviewed November 27, 2008

We stayed at the Tropicana Club from 16 November for one week and, I have to say, I’m surprised at the recent criticism of this hotel. Although I can’t comment on the earlier reviews when there was major work still going on, there is little to complain about in my opinion and given the negative reviews here and of other hotels we’ve been to, I do think some people are never happy and should probably stay at home!

Starting with Sharm airport, on arrival it was a complete disaster zone with literally hundreds of people queuing for visas then passport control. There was no organisation to the whole thing and it was so bad it was funny. An hour and a half later we arrived at the luggage carousel and it’s the first time ever that my cases were there before me.

It took no time to get to the resort and check-in was smooth and friendly and we were allocated a room in block 9 with a pool view. The rooms are great! They are spacious, modern and very clean and the cleaners certainly give it a thorough clean on a daily basis. No towel art for us though which I was hoping for after seeing some of the pictures posted here.

I have to say that this is one of the nicest looking hotels we’ve stayed in. The design of the accommodation blocks coupled with a really nice pool layout and design means it looks great. Pool is large with rocks and fountains although you have to be careful when you pick your sunbed; maybe it’s just worse in winter but some areas didn’t have as much sun and were shaded for a lot of the day.

Food was fine. Typical European style all inclusive fayre really and seems to get a bit repetitive. It’s certainly isn’t up to the same standards as you get in the Caribbean resorts that we enjoy in the summer but then I wasn’t paying those kind of prices. Pasta bar is good as is the salad bar except it doesn’t include meat or cheese at lunchtime or dinner, only at breakfast but if you ask for it they will get you some.

Only real criticism about the food was that it was often not hot enough. In fact, one time the set out a fresh tray of sautéed

We tried the Italian `a la carte and it was ok; a fairly limited menu but still good food. We heard mixed reports about the Chinese but we never got around to it. Have to say, I didn’t realise how much I enjoy pork based food until it wasn’t available – what I would have done for a bacon sarnie!

I think the thing the hotel is lacking is a decent snack bar. All there is, is chips, a pasta and either chicken wings/mini-burgers with a few sandwiches at the pool bar – they should consider using one of the `a la carte’s as a snack bar during the day and providing a wider range.

The booze in Egypt hotels generally isn’t great and that’s the case here too – beer is drinkable, white wine isn’t and the spirits are ok with plenty mixer. Be aware, they do deliberately water down the coke at the pool bar – quite bizarre really, they add about a quarter of water then coke, we asked for coke without water but even then it was done!

Staff are all great, waiters and bar staff are really friendly (although I wish they’d stop the “aww right, mate” stuff because a. I’m not English and b. It’s not funny.) and all the staff from cleaner to receptionist are great. Table service in the restaurant could definitely be improved and perhaps it will as the hotel beds in.

The clientele at the hotel is a bit of a mix with the majority being Russian/Eastern European followed by Brits and a handful others. Not sure what the previous reviewer was complaining about with the Moscow comment; isn’t part of going on holiday about mixing with other nationalities?

I liked the hotel and staff but I wouldn’t go back to Sharm. Nothing to do with the hotel but I found outside the hotel overbearing and just one big hassle. You can’t walk down the street without continual non-stop hassle with starts off somewhat endearing but, by the end of the week, it just becomes a total pain and spoiled it for us, to a certain degree. It’s relentless and non-stop and the one trip to Na’ama Bay was even worse but, I guess it’s each to their own and if some people enjoy or don’t mind this, then fine. Personally, we enjoy a walk after dinner with a little nose around the shops and pubs but in Sharm, it just became one big stress.

Tip; if you’re interested in a camel ride and ask how much, he will reply something like “give me what you want, give me your luck” only for you to find out that your luck isn’t actually very cheap! If you push for an actual price, once you’re finished he’ll say that whatever was agreed was his price and we also have to pay the driver (his partner who leads the camel) Make sure you agree a price in total before you even let your picture be taken.

I’m happy to reply to any questions.

5  Thank Highlandbloke
Reviewed November 24, 2008

I'd rate this a 4* hotel. Immensely clean. Friendly, helpful and on the ball staff. Fabulous pool and sunbathing area. Impressive buffet style restaurant with salad, hot food, bar-b-que, pasta, bread, dessert, and fruit sections, on the spot freshly made pancakes and omelettes. Do you need more? If so, then the Italian and Chinese are limited in choice but make a pleasant change.

I think some of the reviews for this hotel are harsh. It is a new hotel and whilst we were there 16th Nov till 24th, they were completing the new open air theatre. This however did not affect us in anyway. Please tell me who actually enjoys any cabaret style hotel entertainment, it's not great but personally i wasn't expecting an all star line up with oscar winning performances. Mosquitos are not just restricted to Sharm, be liberal with your repellant, keep inside while it's dusk and you can escape being bitten. Reading the description of our hotel it was clear that the mini aqua park, health club and access to the beach was via their sister hotel Tropicana Grand Azure. If you want all that outside your door then pay the price for the bigger grander hotel. We however opted for the newer and more personal Tropicana Azure Club knowing that we were welcome to use the beach, beach bar and beach food bar, health club when we wanted.

4  Thank Ukmember35
Reviewed November 19, 2008

To any one thinking of going the Tropicana Club Azure forget it we went in August and had two weeks of pure hell, poor service and a incomplete hotel to be blunt a building site, I have waited till now to write this review as I have complained to Thompson they sent me a letter 67 days later saying the the work in the hotel is a fact of life and a invitable consequence of the growing demand for resort development which i think is outrageous. I have now complained to ABTA.

I have read quite a few reviews that guest's had a fab time did they really stay in the Tropicana Club Azure ? did they not feel deceived no Aqua Park, Three a la carte restaurants, tennis courts ,health club, shops they barely had a reception when we were there this is false advertising.

The first day we had no cold water and this went on for three days. I was refused bottle water to clean my teeth even though i explained that the fridge in our room was empty when we arrived first class customer service is what you would expect from a five star hotel but it 's more like a 1 star.

Poor standards of hygiene in the hotel the staff don't wash their hands giving guest's the deli belly its not the food it how its handled the hot food is no more than a factory canteen standard
the pastisserie was of a high quality.

Building work:

The dust from the top end is really bad and if the wind is blowing from that direction you can see wear you have been lying on sunbeds the noise form the top end was most intrusive and the workmen at lunch time would oggle all the women. I know quite a few complained but it seemed that the management were not intrested, the smell from the open sewers that greeted us on our way to breakfast and lunch was overpowering and not something i would not like my family to experince again between that and the smell of thinners and paint when you got to the cafe you really don't feel like eating.

Most morning's you had one guy doing coffee which if you were lucky you got a cup 45 mins later, no cold milk and if you dare ask you got some eventually.the waiters could never remember what drinks you ordered and not once did they they get a order right for the two weeks we stayed at the Tropicana.

I complained to the manager and had a meeting with him things did improve in the cafe but the rest of the hotel was a shambles. Room safe not bolted down asked Brian rep should they be bolted down no he replied he was more intrested in selling trips than dealing with complaints.

The standard finish of the rooms is ok but one room we had bare wires coming out of a socket ,no fire head connected and no shower screen and some furniture missing our second room was slightly better as we did not have a mosquito nest outside my wife was bitten on our first two nights 32 times she spent two days in bed ill with side effects from the bites.

The pool has a rough cast finish and during our stay my daughter had some very bad blisters on her hands and feet as did several other children.

The entertaiment was fine if you were Polish or Russian but to be honest we didn't bother after the first show very poor.

Our friend on our last night had her handbag stolen and this was later found in a area minus the money this just finished us off we will never return to Sharm.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank uksteved