“Great hotel, food and staff. We had a lovely week!”

Tropicana Azure Club
Ranked #119 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Derby, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, food and staff. We had a lovely week!”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a week in Janaury 2014. Arriving on 5th January, it was nice to be greeted with all the ‘Happy New Year’ lights, and to see some Christmas decorations.

We arrived at nearly 22:00, to a very busy lobby and it took a while to get to speak to a receptionist to check in. We were asked to find a place to sit to complete the necessary paperwork and our wristband applied, given our room key & towel cards then taken to our room in block 10. We had booked a ‘Garden View’ standard twin room through Thomson, but I would say it was more of a ‘Building Site View’ room. However, this didn’t really bother us, we hardly used the balcony and the site was not noisy. If you looked a little further, the view of the mountains in the distance was beautiful!

Overall, the room was lovely, airly and big. We were happy to find that we had been allocated a double room (rather than twin beds) and the bed was huge, but very hard. There was a small table & chairs, television and minifridge. We watched a few films later in the afternoon after the sun went down, often found horror movies on which was good for us, but if you’re travelling with a family it would be best to avoid these! The minifridge was stocked well with bottled water everyday. We felt that the rooms needed tea and coffee making facilities, as it is an All Inclusive hotel, but if you wanted this, you needed to pay.

There was a lot of wardrobe space, although the smell inside was a little strange so my Husband didn’t want to use it. We used the in-room safe, nice to have. The bathroom was lovely and clean too, with some simple toiletries supplied. The shower was a large head, gravity fed one which I found dribbled, so made washing my hair a lengthily process!

The grounds of the hotel are kept very clean and tidy. The lobby has the main bar in the evening, which I felt was a bit of a letdown, but there was lots of seating, some comfortable sofas and the bar staff – especially Baher – work very hard to take you orders.

The pool bar is open from 10:00 and Jimmy runs this very well, he works extremely hard. He is a token to the hotel, learns everyone’s name, drinks, and really adds to the atmosphere of the hotel.
The drinks are local spirits – so not the best tasting – and at the beginning of the holiday I was struggling to enjoy them. They put HUGE measures into the glasses, so I ended up asking for a small measure and they were much more enjoyable. You can get 2 drinks at a time, which some staff are extremely strict about, and when getting drinks for others we met by the pool when doing a ‘bar run’ can get a little tedious. The All Inclusive runs from 10:00 – 00:00, and after this you even have to pay for water. It was cheaper to drink vodka & lemonade after midnight than it was get a bottle of water!

The snack bar at the pool is very good, offering hotdogs, chips, pizza and other toasted ‘panini’ style sandwiches.

The main pool was very cold in January, I only managed to paddle and sit in the shallows but there were some people swimming. The main pool needed painting as looked a little scruffy. The heated pool was nice, but we chose not to sunbathe around here as it was very noisy with children. The slides were working, but I never saw anyone use them.

The beach was easily accessible, the hotel runs half hourly shuttle buses that you book onto via reception. We got the bus there the first time and then walked back ourselves, took us about 15 minutes. Towels are provided throughout your stay by exchanging your towel card at the hut by the pool, be sure to get your towel before you head to the beach. The beach bar and food on the beach were good. We didn’t go swimming as it was too cold for us, but there were people snorkelling. There is a very long jetty running out to a reef (it took us about 20mins to walk to the end!) where they supply equipment to get in and snorkel with the fish, take a towel and sea shoes with you.

The food at the hotel was excellent, we had no complaints, however we are not fussy eaters so can always find something. I had heard horror stories about food quality in Egypt and was dreading getting ill, but not here! The salad was cold, the other food piping hot. The pasta station was lovely where you can pick your sauce and ingredients, and then a grill section where they often had one type of fish or meat on offer. There were always chips, and even chicken pie one day (which my Husband said was delicious!). Overall, we could not complain about the food. However, the desserts let it down abit, but we’re not huge pudding lovers so again didn’t really affect us.

They have 2 a la carte restaurants; Italian and Chinese, which you can visit as many times as you like. Just book with Sam at Guest Relations in reception upto 16:00 on the day you wish to go. We used each one once, as we thought the food in the main restaurant was just as nice, but it was nice to be waited on rather than always using the buffet. Sam was very approachable, came to talk to us around the pool and asked if there was anything we needed, she works for the hotel so can often give unbiased advice unlike the Thomson Rep.

We didn’t do any excursions as we literally went to relax, lie on a sunbed and have done many things on other holidays, but we were offered quad biking, swimming with dolphins, boat trips etc. Don’t book any excursions with Thomson before you go, wait until you get out there and see what else in on offer, as you can often haggle and the trips are the same! I was surprised that Thomson were still trying to offer trips to Cairo, despite the FO advice not to travel, a little irresponsible I thought. The sales people by the pool got a bit annoying, for the first few days it was constant trying to sell you things, including the spa, but when they knew you weren’t interested they tended to leave you alone, but still said hello.

Overall, this was our first time in Egypt and we were very happy with the hotel, and I would recommend it. When we stayed 90% of the guests were Russian, and I found them to be very rude, not only to us but to the staff. The staff work so hard and they deserve a please and thankyou. All the entertainment was aimed at the Russians, and so we often just kept ourselves to ourselves. My Husband joined in the darts a few times by the pool and found that they ganged up on him to get him out so we avoided it after that! We often got pestered, as I am a young blonde woman, outside the hotel. Even in the hotel my husband often got told he was ‘very lucky man’ and offered camels, but we took this with a pinch of salt really and just smiled, but it did get a little old.

I can imagine that the hotel can feel very full in the summer months, and getting a sunbed round the pool, or finding seating in the lobby can be competitive, but this was not an issue in January.

Overall, a good 4* hotel with excellent food, great staff and we had a lovely, relaxing time.

Thankyou Tropicana Azure Club!!

Room Tip: 'Garden View' rooms in the even number blocks overlook a building site (cannot comment for o...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kt4gerrard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Carlisle, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Sorry for late review...Arrived on the 2nd December, was great to see the hotel had Christmas Lights and Christmas Tree. Check in was fantastic and quick. Buffet food was ok in all my fav is spag bol which they do a fantastic show cooking one here so i had that lunch and dinner :) Snack Bar was lovely. Breakfast i didnt really rate i usually got salad (weird for breakfast but didnt fancy anything else. Staff: lovely staff really nice. Helpful and will do anything for you, so hard working and friendly. Pool: very cold but it is winter, i even found the heated one to cold. The flies around the pool i found a bit too much so going down to the beach is much better. Sam from guest relations was lovely will help you if needed. Shops in hotel: all great apart from the one which sells clothes, he does go on and try to confuse you abit with prices but just keep an eye on what he says and add it up yourself. Shops outside hotel: gutted i found a bag shop on the right as u go out, its cheaper than in the hotel and more selection. As soon as you set foot out the hotel shop keepers are really trying to get your custom. Watch out for camel man he gets you to try scarf on and hold a stick then touch the camel then just sit on it saying it wont go up or move then he takes you for a walk then wants money. Walking down the street is really hard to just always locals hassling i just wanted a nice walk but we didnt do it again. BAD PART IS through no fault of tge hotels really its jusr the way thess people are.....russians.....rude and loud and just awful. BUT I HAD THE BEST HOLIDAY EVER OVERALL. met a few lovely couple while there Sandra & Ray, John & Moreen, Ian & Mandy. Made our holiday :) would go back maybe end of the year. Going back to egypt this friday but trying a different area to compare. But lovely hotel :) . Also forgot to mension the chinese restaraunt was brilliant but found the italian cold and un inviting.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Vikki C
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed in June We loved our holiday to this hotel. We arrived late at night still with available food, and taken to our hotel room. The room was vary large, clean and cool thanks to the in room air conditions which you can control your self. We woke early the next morning with excitement and went to the pool, which at 6:30 am is still very hot around this time of year. Then we made our way to breakfast, which was a good choice to choose from, but as the holiday went on we learnt that they do not change the morning breakfast menu, it is the same every single day. They do change it for lunch and the evening menu but if you stay more than a week you see a lot of the same food everyday, the food just has no flavour no matter what you ate they all tasted the same. I would recommend dining in the Chinese and Italian by booking the day before. We loved the entertainment with a 4 year old it was perfect. We went on excursions with thompson and with the in hotel excursions and I would recommend sticking with thompson as you could tell by the quality what was better. The best excursion by far and I would recommend with all my heart is sinna by starlight, it was fantastic and our little boy loved it, a ride to the dessert by coach and a short camel ride, shisha pipe and bread making, followed by sunset watching which is breath taking, a night show and food which was the best thing I ate all holiday to say it was made in the middle of the dessert it had so much flavour and savour this food. Over all it was a fantastic holiday we loved every day and I would recommend and return.
A few tips which I would of liked to know before going:
Even though you are not suppose to reserve sunbeds everyone does and by 7:30 they are all taken, so get out early.
Do not buy gifts in the centre we found all of the gifts 10times cheaper at the airport on the way home.
They hassle you around the pool, politely tell them no and they go away.
Tips are not essential
Beware of going out of the hotel grounds we were chased down by men on camels for our little boy who is blonde and blue eyed they always wanted to touch him and we could never let go of his hand.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Danielle B
Bristol
Reviewed January 4, 2014

My husband and I have just spent 2 weeks at the Tropicana Azure Club and overall it was a very enjoyable stay. I was a bit taken aback by the rude porter but the rest of the staff made me feel extremely welcome (especially our waiter Ali and Osama the cook). The food was ok. There was a lot of choice and you could always find at least one thing you liked.

The rooms were cleaned every day and I was quite surprised to see how clean the hotel was in general. Bottles of water were brought to the room on a daily basis and we were given a nice cake on our anniversary.

Maria, Nuka and Zaza (The animation team) were ever so enthusiastic and entertaining - never a dull moment with them.

N.B: I keep reading about Russians being rude and I would like to point out that on our very first day, we were told by our Egyptian rep that "if we had enough of the Russians in the main restaurant, we could always opt for the Chinese or Italian restaurant"... my husband happens to be Russian so the little speech didn't go down too well. I didn't think that it was particularly professional and I would like to add that on arrival we were given a beige bracelet as opposed to the purple bracelets which are given to Eastern Europeans. It is interesting to note that the beige bracelets give you the right to have bigger glasses of beer for example and the minute people in the hotel knew we could speak Russian their attitude towards us changed ... Don't get me wrong: I did witness Russian guests being rather rude but I also witnessed British families being rude, shoving a lot of food in plastic containers to take it out of the restaurant and other having arguments outside my bedroom at 1am ...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this resort with my boyfriend the week before Christmas and had an amazing time! Really happy with all the service from the staff they all work so hard for very little. My boyfriend and I took about 30 pound coins between us to tip staff over the week and they really appreciate just a pound coin. Room lovely and clean and bed huge! Food nice, ok it's not michelin starred but who can complain for the price of the holiday! Italian and Chinese restaurants however are amazing! Would definitely recommend them. Pool was very cold which was a shame but did have the smaller heated pool so could go there for a dip. Never went hungry at this hotel! Snack bar at the pool is great for chips, hotdogs etc.
Staff are a real credit to the hotel, my boyfriend got very ill one day during the holiday while we were out, and had to be brought back to the hotel in a wheelchair. All staff so caring asking how he was for the rest of the week, even the cleaner brought him fresh water up when he was ill in bed! (Illness nothing to do with hotel) Sam at guest relations was also brilliant ringing and checking up on him. Nuki, Maria, Zaza and Tito all work so hard to entertain the guests all credit goes to them. All bar staff work so hard to keep guests Drinks flowing! altough I still dont know why russians are so rude and cant say please or thank you?! i would refuse to serve them if it was me ! Can't thank the lovely staff enough for making our hotel. Jimmy at the pool bar also lovely became a good friend of my boyfriend Jamie! Would definitely come back here was so sad to leave! X

• Stayed December 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

When we arrived here for our Christmas break we were given a very friendly welcome from the reception staff. We were shown very quickly to our room.

The room was a nice size but a bit tired looking. Bathroom was also a good size. Our bedding had seen better days and was ripped in parts. Also was not changed all week but had clean towels every day.

We found all the staff to be friendly. Nuka and Maria from the animation team were really good. Sam from guest relations was always very helpful and ready to answer any queries. She worked very long hours over and above what she should have done. We did not find any of the staff to be always looking for a tip. The pool man was always ready with towels as soon as you arrived and sorted your beds out. We did treat him every day as he did deserve it.

The food when you could get to it was not to my taste. Breakfast was fine and the omelettes were really good The snack bar was very convenient for lunch. When it came to the evening meal it was a different matter. Most nights it was a fight to get to the food because of the very rude and arrogant Russians. On Christmas Eve canapes were set outside the restaurant which were very nice. When it came to dinner we tried 3 times to get a seat and some food in the end most of the good food had gone. Christmas night was even worse. We were in line behind a couple of whom one was blind. When the doors these Russians barged in front of these people. It defies belief how any one can do that. I have never witnessed people pushing in front of you to get to food like they did.

Sadly to say that these people are ruining peoples holidays. The are very loud and continually shouting and drinking all day. Slamming doors all hours of the night.

The flies and mosquitoes were quite a nuisance especially the flies. Make sure that you take plenty of spray with you.

I do not think we will return any time soon unfortunately if this situation continues.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are a lot noisier.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Had a fab Xmas, especially Father Christmas arriving on the camel Christmas Day, Lovely touch by the hotel leaving a stocking with goodies on the bed Xmas Eve for the children.

Sam at Guest Relations is a total & utter credit to the hotel. Really friendly, always helpful and never seems to leave her job. Nuka & Maria from Kids Club / Amination team also a total asset to the hotel, my 7 year old son loved them. All the staff were very friendly and helpful at the hotel.

Only downside was the utterly rude Russians who seemed to think they owned the hotel, totally rude and inconsiderate. Eating at night in the restaurant was no laughing matter, mad rush, pushing and shoving.

Rooms were a bit dated but nice and big. Clean towels every day but no clean sheets all week. Sheets had seen better days, rips in them.

Room Tip: Away from the poolside.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family