St. Catherine's Monastery Guesthouse
Morgenland Village(Saint Catherine)
  • Breakfast included
Catherine Plaza Hotel(Saint Catherine)
  • Pool
All reviewsguest house isrocky mountainburning bushtaxicafeteriamonasterymosestrailpilgrimagesleepdahabvalleyegypt
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I dream of returning here. We visited in early January 2010, after the bombing in Alexandria and just before the uprising so I was pleased to read that people are still going there. I was very lucky as I had an introduction to Father Justin and permission to attend the early morning service. We stayed several days there and in future I would stay longer instead of hanging out in Dahab. Because I spoke a little Greek, which is the language used in the monastery people were very friendly and the cook even wanted to show us a special place some miles away but he was unable to find the time. One day in the town we passed a camel driver who used to ask us to ride his camel and we talked with him and asked him to take us to St John Climactus's place on foot which he did, walking in the most beautiful landscape and visiting a garden owned by the monastery after which we had tea with him and his wife. Life for these people is very very hard, but this was a lovely outing . I found the guest house had everything we needed. The water was hot and the bathroom very clean. Why anyone would want a TV in their room is very hard to understand. The view of the mountain and the constant flow of camel drivers, the changes of colour as the sun rose , which we could watch from outside our room was more stunning than any TV screen could provide. Ask yourself why you are going before you go. I was lucky to be able to visit the icon gallery when the tourists were not there and this makes a big difference because many of the tourists don't know or care what they are looking at . The advantage of staying at the monastery is to experience its tranquility and serenity after the crowds have gone . The food, breakfast and dinner is fine and certainly filling, Egypt is not a place to go for food anyway . I can't recommend this place too highly but remember you are not going to a hotel you are going to a place of retreat. Take a sketch book and something to read. The monks here are very cutoff and it is very hard for them to receive parcels so if you can bring them a packet of good quality tea they would be most grateful I'm sure. annjwelch

Room Tip: A room that has a view of the road up to the mountain is nice, but I believe most have this view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank annjwelch
Reviewed June 1, 2012

The St. Catherine's Monastery Guesthouse is nice and clean, but about 7 times more expensive than the other places around. I enjoyed my time here, which includes breakfast and dinner in the price (about $35USD/night), and it is right at the monastery at the foot of Mt. Sinai, it is clean, well maintained, and I have no complaints. There really is not a big advantage of staying here in my opinion. I enjoyed the monastery, and I am a reflective and prayerful person, but I slept on top of the mountain, and really just needed a place to lockup my baggage.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank josk34
Reviewed March 3, 2012

The Monastery guesthouse, in itself, is nothing special. And the food served in the dining room is basic, filling, but hardly worth the journey. But what is special is the chance to stay in such a special place and to be there at times when the tour bus hoards are absent. Our room was basic, comfortable and clean. What else can you ask for the modest rates the monks charge?
One suggestion: Most people climb Mt. Sinai either in the late afternoon or in the dark, huddle in the cold just below the summit, and then take in the view at dawn with a large gaggle of fellow tourists. I'm sure the view at dawn is spectacular. But we left St. Catherine's at about 8:30 am and had the trail and the summit all to ourselves. The view was still fantastic and we had the solitude. This tactic worked well in February when the walking temperature was perfect . It might not be such a good idea in the summer.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank sptravelers5
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Saint Cats? Is that right? More than you know.... Cats were all over the place when I visited. One raised a paw - maybe to provide a blessing - as I went to religious services and another chased me into my room at the guesthouse. This place is amazing.

What can I say about the area where, repeatedly, God spoke to Moses? The foot of Mount Horeb is a very rough place. You may love this area or you may want to make a quick retreat to one of the comfortable resort areas by the sea.... I was reminded of some of the hard and dramatic places in Arizona and in Baja California. The local mountains aren't especially big - not when compared to the Rockies in Colorado - but they're dramatic. During the winter, the wind rushes down the slopes to shake the guesthouse.

The monastery guesthouse is - well, it's a monastery guesthouse, pilgrim. What did you expect? It's simple and the food served at the restaurant is also simple. And it's adequate and you'll be safe and you'll get what you need. If you go to Saint Cats, you should be very spiritual, or a bit of a romantic, or, at the least, you should be in love with history.
Take a Bible with you and read the story of Exodus. Then, ask your guides, "Where did Moses meet his wife? Where did he encounter the burning bush?" etc. Even if you're an agnostic, try to to understand the power of the Exodus story. If you want to be pampered and entertained, go back to Cairo.

Room Tip: Fitness center? The wilderness walks will put you in good shape.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank CelticRambler
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I came to spend a few days at the guesthouse, climb Mt. Sinai, visit the library and see the icon gallery. The people at reception spoke no English so I got no help even finding out when meals were (they're included), much less how to do the things I'd come to do. many tours come with hordes of people who definitely diminish the experience of being in this desolate, historic place. I had better luck with a local Bedouiin man finding out what to see and do.

• Stayed: February 2012