“Avoid this place”
Review of Morgenland Village

Morgenland Village
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Saint Catherine
Reviewed October 27, 2008

The location of this hotel is very good. A base for the climb to the top of Mt Sinai. The beds were good and the swimming pool looked very attractive although we did not have time to use it.
However, here are some of the features we encountered during our one-night stay.
*The bathroom sink took a long time to drain.
*The toilet was dirty.
*Shower curtain was old and torn.
*We had to " shoulder" the door open each time because it was always jamming.
*Ceiling panels were falling in.
* No toilet paper.
*Lots of mosquitoes
* Our neighbours used our hot shower because theirs did not work.
* The breakfast was poor.

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank WillungaMaggie

Reviewed October 1, 2008

In September 2008, my girlfriend and I stayed at this village as part of our tour (Egypt & Jordan Caravan Holidays with Imaginative Traveller).

Prior to arriving at our rooms, the group was advised that we were going to be staying in the newly renovated building. As we entered the new building it appeared as though it was still in the process of being renovated. The rooms were on the second floor of the building. As you walked up the two flights of stairs to get there, we noticed there were no railings on the stairwell (a bit of a safety hazard). At the top of the stairs, you had to walk to your room staying close to outer wall as there was no inner wall or railing to prevent you from falling approximately 15 feet onto the 1st floor below (another safety hazard). Obviously they did plan on putting in railings eventually as the railings could be seen laying on the floor at the top of the stairs. Luckily there were no sleep walkers in the group and nobody fell over the sides (See photos).

As we entered our room, we noticed that our room appeared to have been recently renovated but not yet cleaned. There was drywall dust and tile dust on the floor and mouldings throughout the main room and bathroom (See photos, especially the thick dust still on the mouldings). Obviously this was not a healthy place to stay in if you have any allergies.

There was a small balcony with very little privacy as you could peer into your neighbours room. Again there was no railing to prevent you from falling about 15 feet onto the ground below. The doors leading to the balcony were glass doors and did not yet have curtains. We used one of the stained sheets found on one of the beds and used it as a curtain in order to have our privacy.

In the bathroom, the hotel had still not yet installed the light over the mirror and sink. The live wires were hanging out of the wall and had not been covered.

When we turned on the hot water, we discovered that there was no hot water.

I do believe that if they had finished the renovations and had cleaned up the room that it would have potential to be a clean and basic room. Unfortunately that was not the case for us.

We were given the option to change rooms to one of the older units in antoher building. Luckily we stayed in the newer room as other members in our group had horror strories in regards to older rooms.

The air conditioner worked great, however it made the flow of drywall and tile dust almost unbearable and played havoc on my allergies.

A late dinner was provided to us on the evening that we arrived at the hotel. It was buffet and the main course and desserts tasted good.

A breakfast was also provided, but it was left over cold potatoes from the night before, a mystery meat, and stale rolls. The rolls were the only thing fit to eat.

In my mind the accommodations provided were unacceptable as well as the breakfast.

In short, I would not recommend this hotel, however if you are stuck on a tour, this may be your only option. Best of luck.

It was definitely an experience I did not care for and would like to forget.

• Stayed: September 2008
3  Thank HonestFeedbackGiven
Reviewed September 25, 2008

Went to St Catherine with Insight Vacations on the first day of their Grand Tour of Egypt. Arrived after 5pm having spent 8 hrs in a bus to get there. On the surface the hotel looked good with a massive swimming pool (which you can't swim in after sunset) and a mountain back-drop to die for. Then we went to our rooms! Broken socket for the TV which didn't work, no promised fridge, dubious looking bed-linen and an over blanket which had me scratching the back of my legs for days. The bathroom was 3rd world and swarming with mosquitoes. There was a louvred part of the ceiling which was metal and all bent and you could see up through the roof. None of the doors closed properly with gaps everywhere. I spent an hour jumping up and down on the bed swotting mosquitoes and the sole marks of my trainers should still be easy to see on the ceiling! Dinner was very forgettable and breakfast I don't even want to remember. This may be the best there is but my advice is take a tent! The one plus was a nice cup of tea with the bedouins. Unless standing on top of Mt Sinai where Moses apparently received 10 commandments really best avoided.

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank yungkara
Reviewed August 3, 2008

Towards the end of our 2-weeks roundtrip in Egypt, we spent our last night is Morgenland. I felt stuck in the middle of no where. When we entered the lobby, there was an overwhealming scent of toilet-refresher spray, and within 5 minutes it became clear why: the place stunk horribly from cat's urine. The hostel (3-bed) rooms we stayed in, were cleanish, the bathrooms horrible, the water in the shower was too hot to bathe in. The beds were made with no sheets, only not to clean looking think blankets, and a pillow was missing. Whan we asked for sheets, staff had to actually come in and let us point out waht we requested for. When they came in with the sheets, their faces showed that they still weren't sure if the understood (why on eaarth would these silly tourists want sheets??) Oh, the room smelled of cat's urine as well. At night a guard told us to put our towels inside the room, because "the cats will drag them into the mountains at night"???
The food was horrible (yep, diarrhoea), especially breakfast.
But the worst for me was, that is was not possible to buy anything to drink in the afternoon: the fridge in the lobby was locked, the restaurant closed. When I made clear that I really needed a drink, after all we were in the desert, staff was called, but didn't hava any change. We were one Egyptian pound short in small change, but nope, the guy didn't want to sell us the water.

Hor-ri-ble, if there's an alternative, I would recommend any one who considers satying in this joint, to look further.

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed July 5, 2008

After reading the reviews below, It needed some balance. I believe the Mgt .has gone overboard to attend to the weaknesses mentioned. Very attentive, and almost "too much" so, but good food, prompt service and clean rooms. The advertising says "modest" but I believe this to be much better. The new building activity going on is merely a distraction and will add to the ambiance. Try to get to The Monastary when you are there. It is historically awesome.. The "Burning bush" (Moses) is still there.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed May 13, 2008

The scenery, and pool, Bedwien Tent , all around was really nice,

But the hotel was dirty.

The Resturant was like a canteen and the food was disgusting.

The rooms were dirty and dimly lit.

The bathroom toilet leaked all the time, we informed Reception someone came to fix it ,but it still leaked, I had to wear my sandles into the bathroom and they got ruined because of the leak. I would not shower in there or go barefoot because I thought I might catch something. My husband dropped his towel on to the bathroom floor by mistake and when he picked it up it was soaking wet and filthy.

Don't go there We would never go back......

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed April 24, 2008

We were in Egypt for a film production and I read the reviews for this hotel before we left. I was concerned enough that I bought travel sheets just in case. Thankfully we did not need to use them. We stayed 4 nights in the hotel.

* If you stay in the farthest building from the lobby - room numbers in the 700s, you will be happier than some people that have stayed here as it is a 'new' building. We didn't notice any smoke issues. Of course, the 2nd day we were here, we tried turning on the AC and the control panel sparked and popped and completely died. Our room had 3 twin beds.

* Within the first 15 min of being in the room, our bathroom started flooding. Since there are no phones in the room, we had to walk to the lobby and get someone to help. They came quickly and fixed the problem. Our friends across from us didn't have hot water until the 2nd day.

* We were fairly certain the sheets were clean because after the first night, they took the pillowcase from my own pillow I brought from home and replaced it with one of theirs. My pillowcase was off white. Trying to tell the front desk the problem was difficult. I talked to 4 different guys before one of our guides came in and interpreted for me. I had no hope of getting it back - but they DID find it the next day and it was returned to my room.

* If you choose to take your suitcases to your room like we did, realize there are no elevators and you will have to drag them up the stairs and across cobblestones.

* The lobby....yuck. It really stunk in there probably because of all the cats running around and sleeping and doing other things on the couches.

* GOOD NEWS: They have one computer connected to the internet in the stinky lobby. It is only a couple of US$ per hour to use it. They are VERY efficient at telling you when your hour is up.

* Meals - Left a bit to be desired. The meat was pretty gross and it was the same thing night after night. Most people only spend a night here so it probably isn't so much of an issue. One night I had a plate full of white things: rice, potatoes, and plain pasta. By the 4th night, I was CRAVING some green veggies. Breakfast was the same thing - rolls, boiled eggs, processed cheese. And there were cats running all over the place - under the tables and behind the food. One night the electricity went out for about 20 min. Thankfully we had a flashlight and were able to get through the line and eat in the dark.

* Front desk - they speak very limited English. We went to check out and they hadn't charged us for a few internet sessions or our laundry bill. They weren't terribly organized. But they did do our laundry including socks and things and returned it ALL the next day. It was pressed and clean.

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Morgenland Village? Share your experiences!