“Beyond terrible”
Review of Morgenland Village

Morgenland Village
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Saint Catherine
Reviewed May 5, 2014

advisoNot to mention the poor condition of the rooms, the old not so clean bathroom and the fact that there is no room service, I got very sick after having one meal in their restaurant. Not only me but many who were travelling with me, I was a part of a big group visiting the area. I could not sleep because of the constant pain and in the morning my friend asked at the reception if anyone is going to town to get me some medicine. Called twice after that, everytime they promise they will get it and then nothing, last time the receptionist hung up! Only after I came down to complain, they got me the medicine in 10 mins, because it was already there!! They already had it and didnt care to give it. As I understand, there aren't a lot of hotels in the area, still no excuse for such horrible service.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rana S

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed one night in the Morgenland Village. Our main objective was visiting Mt. Sinai and see the famous sun rise. Hotel was correct. Personnel in the dining room too nervous, but not outside the limits. We have to have in mind that we are talking about the Hotel in the desert, more than 1000 meters above the sea level. And under this circumstances the Village is offering what is needed and what is expected. Staff prepared us some warm drinks and cookies before going to the mountain the morning. Anyhow, a good option in that part of the world.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed here for one night on tour of Holy Land starting with Mount Sinai, the food was good, the staff friendly, bedrooms spacious and beds comfortable. Bathroom wasn't as nice. Lots of mosquitos but that's the area not the hotels fault.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ruth L
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We arrived quite late at night to do the Mt. Sinai climb. Dinner was still set, at least hot. The staff looked like they were herding us, speaking loudly as we ate, we felt a bit intimidated being foreigners.
The rooms were clean, had a good share of mosquitoes for those who slept and did not climb the mountain. The bathroom was ok, for the first time saw shampoo in satchets!!! We were glad we had packed some normal bathroom soap.
The views with the mountain background was excellent, the swimming pool was clean and gave a beautiful view for the hotel.
The shops were nicely set at the reception, the reception was welcoming and nice to relax in.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marianne W
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I came to St. Catherine just to complete my pilgrimage to the Holyland.
Chek-in at 8 pm, I was astonished by this small hotel that has a quiet large group of guests.
All of them have a same destination, that is to climb up to the top of mount Sinai at the dawn, just like me.

With tired body, I found my room's door is so hard to close. Must try many times for close and lock. After meet my friends at climbing, they have a same experience like me about their door and their bathroom. My bathroom washbasin is blocked and the water flow very-very slow. What a bad experience.

The breakfast is so poor.
The only positive thing is the view from a swimming pool toward mount Sinai. It's so beautiful.
Thanks God, I just spend one night here. It's really a nightmare.

I suggest to the owner of the hotel, please do a lot of maintenance to all doors and to all bathrooms. Don't scare the pilgrims those come from all over the world.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Robby_hsetio
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel for almost 3 times. Compared to the other 2 hotels in the Sinai area, this is the better option. Food is OK nothing great. Rooms are bigger in size but not maintained up to the mark. The swimming pool is very good but haven't seen anybody taking bath.There are some souvenir shops at the lobby and outside. Maybe the area is too cool in the evening. Normally, people stay in Sinai only for one night as a transit between Egypt and Israel.Some people even go to climb Mt.Sinai in the midnight. As a refreshment resort, it is worth.

Room Tip: Book rooms numbers above 200 series.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2013

To qualify this review, we stayed in a room on the floor above the lobby area, which apparently is nicer than a room I saw outside the lobby building & near the swimming pool area. Some of the pictures I saw posted by others resembled the room near the pool area & not the 1 we stayed in.

Good points:

1. 5 minutes' drive to Mt. Sinai
2. Good dinner buffet
3. Helpful staffs
4. Big restroom
5. Nice view

Since we had to leave early the next day, the staffs were helpful in packing us our breakfast (consisting of mostly bread & egg), which we appreciated. The hotel also gets its fair share of tour groups staying here.

Thanks God our stay was fine & unlike some of the stories we read, but then again we stayed in a room above the lobby area (in a building) versus the ones by the pool (next to nature), which may explain insects sneaking in.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank agchen1

Been to Morgenland Village? Share your experiences!