“great site, but lacked of maintenance” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Morgenland Village

Morgenland Village
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Saint Catherine
Makassar, Indonesia
“great site, but lacked of maintenance”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I came to St. Catherine just to complete my pilgrimage to the Holyland.
Chek-in at 8 pm, I was astonished by this small hotel that has a quiet large group of guests.
All of them have a same destination, that is to climb up to the top of mount Sinai at the dawn, just like me.

With tired body, I found my room's door is so hard to close. Must try many times for close and lock. After meet my friends at climbing, they have a same experience like me about their door and their bathroom. My bathroom washbasin is blocked and the water flow very-very slow. What a bad experience.

The breakfast is so poor.
The only positive thing is the view from a swimming pool toward mount Sinai. It's so beautiful.
Thanks God, I just spend one night here. It's really a nightmare.

I suggest to the owner of the hotel, please do a lot of maintenance to all doors and to all bathrooms. Don't scare the pilgrims those come from all over the world.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Robby_hsetio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Kozhikode, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel for almost 3 times. Compared to the other 2 hotels in the Sinai area, this is the better option. Food is OK nothing great. Rooms are bigger in size but not maintained up to the mark. The swimming pool is very good but haven't seen anybody taking bath.There are some souvenir shops at the lobby and outside. Maybe the area is too cool in the evening. Normally, people stay in Sinai only for one night as a transit between Egypt and Israel.Some people even go to climb Mt.Sinai in the midnight. As a refreshment resort, it is worth.

Room Tip: Book rooms numbers above 200 series.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Jakarta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

To qualify this review, we stayed in a room on the floor above the lobby area, which apparently is nicer than a room I saw outside the lobby building & near the swimming pool area. Some of the pictures I saw posted by others resembled the room near the pool area & not the 1 we stayed in.

Good points:

1. 5 minutes' drive to Mt. Sinai
2. Good dinner buffet
3. Helpful staffs
4. Big restroom
5. Nice view

Since we had to leave early the next day, the staffs were helpful in packing us our breakfast (consisting of mostly bread & egg), which we appreciated. The hotel also gets its fair share of tour groups staying here.

Thanks God our stay was fine & unlike some of the stories we read, but then again we stayed in a room above the lobby area (in a building) versus the ones by the pool (next to nature), which may explain insects sneaking in.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank agchen1
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Okay, I read many, many reviews and totally did not want to stay here. My imagination was running wild, so I imagined the worst hotel that I ever stayed which was a Super 8 Motel in Tampa (which I stayed for a track meet.... I did not pick that motel). Unfortunately, I stayed at Morganland Village because it was part of the America Israel Tour hotel lineup, and I wanted to climb Mt. Sinai. Believe me I called the travel company many times to see if I could stay elsewhere, but they said this was the best hotel in the area.

We arrived at dark and was quickly given directions to our room. We stayed in the 700 block. The room was okay, smelled heavily of disinfectant, and was better than I actually expected. The bathroom was large but.....ugh! A can of bug spray was in my room too... I only had to lay down for approximately 3 hours before we left for our climb, so it served it purpose. Maximum amount of time I actually spent in the facility was less than 4-5 hours total. Dinner was ready for us outside in the Bedouin tent. We watch the bread making and some participated. The music playing etc made it feel authentic. It was okay, nothing to shout home about, but the amount of kittens/cats in the tent was unbelievable.

There were lots of little stores there for you to do shopping, which was the only time I had to shop while in Egypt for those tourist type gifts, and they closed late. The breakfast was absolutely AWFUL....and I do me that!

I will say that the people there were very nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank 2007sweet16

Travelers are raving about these Saint Catherine hotels

Nashville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed here in an attempt to see and climb Mount Sinai and to visit the Saint Catherine’s monastery. The hotel is very basic, somewhat clean, and minimal dining with a sad buffet. Especially in these times, there are not many guests so I would have expected an effort to provide a room with a little more than nothing to offer.

This hotel is the kind of place where I leave the lights on all night for fear of what may be in the room. There was a can of bug spray in our room – so it did not bode well.

We really wanted to have an opportunity to climb Mount Sinai but, alas, since we needed @ 14 hours to travel to Saint Catherines by van from Cairo (had to drive the long way around the peninsula and wait for security police to caravan safely), we arrived at @ 10 PM. We would have been required to leave for the climb @ midnight (so no sleep) and would not have returned from the climb until @ 7:30 AM – so not possible. The experience was memorable and we did get to see Mount Sinai – but – overall, a disappointment, especially the hotel.

Room Tip: Arrive early - if it is in your control - and check the room first.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank WeLov2Travel45
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

This is my 3rd visit in this property and they continue to improve the hotel facility.
Though room needs more improvement, but it was great for an overnight.
After a tiring climb to Mt. Sinai, you will bed dead tired. Who needs all of the facilities..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank BUTCH A
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Quite a large and spacious property but facilities are poor and uncomfortable. I really only remember the dreadful bathroom with very dim lighting, dirty and tiny shower with a short and flimsy shower curtain and all the water came out into the bathroom. It was revolting! At night there was a black cat that would wander in and out of people's rooms so keep your door shut! During the night the cats were loud outside the hallway. Our other room's balcony door could not lock at all. Food was buffet-style and I don't even recall what we ate. I think I only looked forward to getting outta there! We were there only for the hike up Mt Sinai. You've been warned!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank hcychan

Been to Morgenland Village? Share your experiences!