“Yikes!”
Review of Morgenland Village

Morgenland Village
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Saint Catherine
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Quite a large and spacious property but facilities are poor and uncomfortable. I really only remember the dreadful bathroom with very dim lighting, dirty and tiny shower with a short and flimsy shower curtain and all the water came out into the bathroom. It was revolting! At night there was a black cat that would wander in and out of people's rooms so keep your door shut! During the night the cats were loud outside the hallway. Our other room's balcony door could not lock at all. Food was buffet-style and I don't even recall what we ate. I think I only looked forward to getting outta there! We were there only for the hike up Mt Sinai. You've been warned!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank hcychan

Reviewed July 8, 2012

by far this was the worst hotel in the whole trip. however, it's the only one there (or the best one i guess) if you'd like to climb up Mt. Sinai. The climb was fun and the view was great, but the night was not.
The rooms were terrible and the beds creek, the doors wont shut properly and the bathroom was disastrous. There were sachets of shampoos and soaps, and water kept leaking from the toilet. My shower was broken (the knob fell off and water sprayed everywhere), so i had to use the one next door, but it was just as bad cause the water was ICE COLD and it was so slow. the pool was pretty nice though, i didn't get to take a swim. food wasn't great but they were nice enough to cook us some eggs.
They knock on our doors for wake-up-calls and it was quite scary cause you feel like you're being robbed (for some reason, or maybe its just me). Overall it wasn't that bad, but we were glad to leave the place.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank taniaviews
Reviewed June 26, 2012

If you want to climb Mt Sinai, which I believe is an incredible experience worth doing!, then you don't have many options on where to stay the night. So just be prepared that this is all part of the adventure of seeing a remote part of the world with historical and spiritual significance, and have low expectations about hotel quality!
Food was terrible, and the bathroom had an unpleasant smell. However at least the bed was clean for a few hours sleep. Walls are thin and noise is heard from everywhere (including other peoples earlier wake up calls) so I'd recommend ear plugs.
There are a few touristy shops but not much to buy, not even basic snacks/water/chocolate for the Mt Sinai climb - you'd be better to bring things from your previous stop.
I've stayed here twice - once in the cheapest possible option (dorm) and once as a group leader given the 'best possible upgrade' (upstairs room in the main building). Apart from the latter being private, it certainly wouldnt be worth the extra cost for the few hours spent there. So if you're on a tighter budget, you might as well prepare for this one night to be your roughing-it/adventure, and save your money to spend on a better hotel elsewhere in the Middle East.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there are any truly good rooms, so my advice would be go the cheapest option and tr...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Mel904
Reviewed May 13, 2012

This must be the worst hotel I had ever stayed at in my life, and I do travel extensively. I stayed here in a packaged Holy Land Tour. At first glance, the hotel seemed quite quaint and OK. However, as we got to our room everything went downhill from there.

1. There was a terrible stench coming from the bathroom. After complaining, someone came back with a bottle of air freshener and pumped a few sprays, then left.

2. There was used soap from the last guest left on the bathroom sink. Obviously they didn't clean the bathroom!

3. The most horrible thing was as I found a strand of human hair on my bed! Obviously they didnt even bother changing the sheets. SO DISGUSTING!!! It was then past midnight and there was not phone to call for service, plus I was so tired from our long bus trip from Jerusalem.

Needless to say, I survived the night by grabbing my shawl and spreading it over the beddings. I slept covered from head to toe. wearing leggings, socks, long sleeves. I took a t-shirt and used that as my towel because their towers were disgusting and dubious looking.

The only positive thing in this place was that the people were quite friendly and accommodating. The mountains around were quite lovely, but I guess you get the same view anywhere,

That said, I would never return here, EVEN IF SOMEONE PAID ME TO STAY HERE, I would never do. This was one of the worst nights Ive had in terms of comfort, and sleep quality.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Alteriors I
Reviewed May 10, 2012

One of the most run-down hotels we stayed in. Shower stalls are so cramped, beds have very itchy sheets, staff at the restaurant cannot give change for your money for your beverage orders and the bathroom fixtures are so grimy. If you are doing the St. Catherine-Moses mountain tourist bit, you are better off checking-in hotels a few hours away (like Taba) and get to the mountain earlier.

Room Tip: Skip this hotel altogether and maybe check out the hotels in Taba instead.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Angela A
Reviewed May 8, 2012

At the foot of the mountains of Sinai, remote and far from the city, I was ready for the worst accommodation from what I read and heard. It seems Morgenland is the best in that area. Fortunately we were booked in a clean and nice room. Most of the rooms are at the ground floor open area, outside the reception bldg. However in the bldg of the reception there is a second floor where the rooms are much better and that is where we stayed. Unforunately no elevators. Basic no frills and clean. My other companions didn't have as good a room. Food was so so but it filled up our stomach before the climb to the mountain. The better hotels would be in Taba but that is too far if you intend to do the climb.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Maan
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night to see the monastery of st catherine. They have a large shallow pool but the sides are full of grime. Rooms were quite big - no need for aircon as the valley is quite cool-cold.
Shower was a bit small but ample :p. for some reason the cafeteria only accepts us$ which is a bit strange. Food was fine as usual drinks not included in the dinner - for breakfast its drink as much as you like (but who drinks 3 cups of coffee) the concept of the sliding glass door and front porche was great. Spectacular view of the surrounding mountains (as the hotel is situated in an open valley) .

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank swearingtomato

Been to Morgenland Village? Share your experiences!