“Bliss!”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Nuweiba
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Bliss!”
Reviewed February 12, 2011

I first went to Sayadeen with my husband and teenage daughters last August and we had a great time. Last month I went back by myself to get some sun and time to study for my dissertation. I was picked up at the airport by the manager; I was welcomed warmy by the reception manager; I went to my room to find a little note to welcome me; Meirelle from head office had organised a hairdryer; the chef remembered me, and other staff enquired after my family back home - some even remebered my childrens' names. I really felt I was coming home.
Due to the unrest in Cairo there were not many other guests and I had the place to myself for a couple of days and it didn't feel awkward at all. The staff left me alone if that's what I wanted, happy to stop for a chat and laugh at my bad Arabic. My food - simple but tasty (Sayadeen is not trying to be a gourmet restaurant) was brought to wherever I wanted it: the beach, the table in front of my room or my room. My room was cleaned every day and the towel art is legend. I had plenty of hot water any time of the day.
Some reviewers commented on the state of the rooms; again, they are simple and I really think the bathrooms need upgrading. The beach was cleaned every day, but rubbish is a problem in some Middle Eastern countries. But then again, there is lots of litter here; I live in Winchester, hardly the grot capital of the UK, and people drop stuff all the time. Somebody else mentioned cats: I only saw two and yes they were very "friendly". I didn't see any dogs within the village although there are some outside the compound. Somebody else in her unfathomable wisdom (and that certainly is NOT the type of guest who will enjoy Sayadeen) commented on the mosque: ehhh , there are muslims in Egypt, dear, and therefore there are mosques. Their faith is very important to Egyptians which I think is great.; so that was a very, very silly thing to put in a negative review.
Although I was there by myself I never felt lonely - thank you Atef and Mr Mohamed and Mr Soliman; I had great conversations about the culture and politics of the country, which is what I go abroad for.
So, if you want your little Britain when you go on holiday, if you want the same food you have back home, if you want an exciting nightlife, if you want to pay for a three star hotel but expect the ananymous and soulless service of a five star place - go up the road to the Hilton where you get all of that. Sayadeen is not for you. But if you want peace and quiet, a private and mostly empty beach, if you want to learn something about the people of Egypt, and enjoy their friendliness - there is no better place than Sayadeen.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank sinaiaddict

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Arabic first
uk
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Al Sayadeen is really like no other hotel I have ever been to. I have stayed in 5 star hotels all over the world, but they do not compare to this one.

Firstly, the view is absolutely astounding. If you stand on the beach and look to the right there are the most beautiful mountains, and if you look ahead the sea is so pure and if you look to the left the mountains of Saudia Arabia are situated.

Our room was situated about 18 steps away from the sea, and the water was so clear. The beach is kept very clean by the staff.

Onto the staff, they have got to be the most friendly bunch of people I have come accross to date. Nothing was too much bother, we just had to ask for something and it was there. The owner summed it up and said "if you want us to bring you dinner in the mountains, just ask" this was the general feeling. Bob, is absolutely fantastic and ensured we had everything we wanted.

The great thing about this hotel is that it does not have an awful animation team, the music is very discreet and most of the time you cant hear a single thing. Its the sort of place you can just relax and not be bothered by anything. Its a haven of tranquility. The evenings are so peaceful that you could hear a whisper.

The atmosphere and view are out of this world. The rooms are basic, but who cares. The view, beach and staff more than make up for it.

The breakfasts are lovely, you must try the pancakes, yummy. Overall, the food was very nice and the chef will cook almost anything you ask him to. There is not an abundance of sweet cakes, but, there is an abundance of delicious fruits.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who has a busy life and just wants to relax. Because of the type of hotel it tends not to attract beer swivelling folk, mostly couples and families.

We will be going back there again and are already recommending it to friends.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angelia100
SayadeenVillage, Manager at Sayadeen Village Nuweiba, responded to this review, January 22, 2011
Dear Guest,,

It is a great honor to Sayadeen Village that you enjoyed your trip. I was so happy by all your warm and sincere feelings towards the hotel. Of course all Sayadeen Family are waiting your coming again and don't forget that Sayadeen is your home away from home.

Thanks again for your great supportive review to all Sayadeen Staff.
You are more than welcome any time.
Meirelle M. Jacoub
Sayadeen Village, Red Sea Riviera
Head office
Cairo- Egypt
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I've never been on a beach holiday before. It's always been one of those things I've avoided. After a very busy year my wife and I decided we needed some real R'n'R. We thought that chilling out by the beach would be grand and if it did become too much we could head out into the desert and do a bit of exploring tied with a little culture. We're not fans of big hotels, especially ones with lots of folk and so Sayadeen, with it's low key rustic charms really appealed.
We wanted a good location, with a nice beach and snorkelling. We also wanted peace and quiet. We certainly got this, for the majority of our time there, we were the only guests!! Sadly on our fourth day, there was an extremely long and severe wind storm, that totally changed the whole beach. It removed sand, demolished sun-shades, exposed concrete supports and dumped tonnes of cobbles all over the place, not to mention closing the beach bar and removing the gorgeous seating areas. It took the rest of our two weeks before things were back to normal (almost). The ensuing destruction and subsequent work meant we kept off the beach quite a lot. Obviously, this was a natural phenomenon and was 'just one of those things!', but it did spoil it for us. The 'Egyptian work ethic' did seem to kick in a little and we did feel that the restoration was undertaken rather slowly. Had the place been busier then I'm sure things would've occurred more quickly.
Anyway, back to the review, putting the storm aside.
Having read other review on here, we were a little concerned that we would be forced into some strange pseudo-friendly interactions with the staff. Thankfully, this didn't occur and we were left pretty much to our own devices. When we needed something we just had to find someone and it was sorted.
During our first couple of days, there was a few instances of things not being cleared away, e.g. crockery on our beach table until the next day and previous guests towels on sun loungers for a couple of days!! Thankfully this situation didn't occur again. Also during our first couple of nights there were issues with large coach groups coming and going. They were quite loud and arrived somewhere between 12 and 1 am and left around 6-ish. Consequently our sleep was horrendously disturbed. We considered moving rooms - even hotels! But after a chat with the management we were assured it wouldn't occur again. It didn't. But then there weren't any more coach trips staying the night. We did witness a few other large groups during the daytime, but they didn't cause any problems. The hotel staff do seem to go up a gear or two though for these day-trippers.

Egypt is a muslim country. It therefore has Mosques. You can hear the call to prayer from anywhere near any form of habitation. Mostly on the beach you get to hear three mosques at prayer times and I think it's wonderful (although it can go on a bit on Friday's!) Sometimes I'd hear the early morning call, then roll over and go back to sleep, or sit out and watch the sunrise. If you don't like the prospect of a mosque then go to Brighton.

We only saw about three cats. Only one of them ever came anywhere near us and he was the most friendly ginger and white young tom. Totally gorgeous and just like a pet cat, he'd even come for long strolls along the beach. We did see one raid an abandoned table of food though.....but who wouldn't?

The food was ok to good. Sadly there isn't any form of menu which makes life difficult - unless you know what's available. We were told on our first night that we could have anything - as long as it was chicken or fish! This became a bit of a comedy mantra... Just ask for something Egyptian and you'll have the tastiest selection of dishes. Eat it all like Mezze or Tapas....Fab and cheaper too. Breakfast was fantastic, omelette and falafel most days - my choice - but again pretty much 'as you like'. To be honest most days we ate breakfast and didn't need to eat again until dinner! As others have said, it's not a cheap venue, but between here and Nuweiba everywhere else except the Hilton and one other hotel was totally deserted or closed! This place remains open which is nice. A beer will set you back E£25 roughly £3-ish and water is about E£10. You can buy them in the port for E£10 and E£2 respectively. But when you want a nice cold beer on the beach as the sun sets £3 isn't all that bad.

As for the Beach. It's a cracking spot, especially when its not hazy. Most days someone came along and picked up any litter that had washed up, so it was fairly clean. The water is shallow and warm - perfect for kids. There are a few rocks along the shore so sandals or crocs are a good choice - although once you're in it's all sand. Beware the occasional Stonefish though! The snorkelling along the beach isn't the best in the Red Sea although it's crystal clear and there are quite a few fish around. The little reef (Pete's - see earlier posts) is awesome, albeit small. We didn't swim the stuff by the mosque but it's there and there's a lot of it. The beach is strewn with dead coral and various bits of flotsam - you'll appreciate how much rubbish is in our oceans! There's also a few rather bolshy boys in this stretch of 'town'.....looking for baksheesh for doing nothing! They're only about ten years old but wouldn't go away easily - not what you'd expect in this part of Egypt. We also checked out an area just beyond The Hilton - totally awesome, just by the red buoys!

The Port is quite an interesting excursion. Only about 5 - 10 mins. Here there are a few cafes and shops, banks etc. Usually though, you have to walk the gauntlet of parked up lorries waiting for a ferry, not an issue for a bloke, but ladies may feel rather uncomfortable - as throughout the port. But this is the way it is in this part of the world. We didn't see any other women at all except for one Russian? tourist walking in from the Hilton. You can pick up most things from the shops here and there's several cashpoints.

Talking of excursions - we didn't do any! We had always intended to go to St Catherines and The Coloured Canyon and to Dahab etc but we decided against all of them. Purely on principal. Sadly the cost of these trips put us off. Not because we couldn't afford them but because we didn't want to pay $200 to go for an hour or so in a jeep! As there was only two of us we were told we'd have to pay for four!?!? I guess this is the downside of having the place to ourselves? We found similar services in Nuweiba, who would do it just based on the two of us, but we're still talking $140 or so. Having travelled around the world, we found this extortionate, especially for the Middle East - although on par with the rest of Egypt.

Anyway, the room was grand. The bed comfy. The plumbing was all fine - hot water whenever needed. The towel art fun! The fridge a godsend! The TV - with several movie channels - totally brill (great for those long winter nights.). The veranda and sea view brilliant. Having food delivered to our room, sun lounger or bench - great. Having the restaurant to ourselves - odd but nice. The christmas decorations - interesting!

Overall our holiday was good. The staff were good and overall friendly and helpful - (not quite sure why others have praised them so much). The location, food and our room were good. Sadly the storm changed things for us a little and we were put off over-priced excursions. But overall, it was nice to be away and chill out.

Would we come back? Possibly - although only for seven days, as two weeks was a tad too much.
Would we recommend? Already have done.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravlinBear
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We wanted guarenteed sunshine - lovely snorkelling - and to get away from it all - which is what we got. The air con was good - the massage lady lovely and Bob the restaurant manager looked after us.The towel art is fun. Okay - now for the negatives - the plumbing in the hotel is bad - the beach is filthy - the food is dreadful - the cats are allowed to jump on the tables and seats and practically steal the food from your plates - you have to fight them off. The trips from the hotel are a rip off - walk in to the port and arrange your own taxi. The hotel owner should be ashamed - he has a beautiful setting for his hotel - and yet doesn't clean the beach - broken glass - beer cans - cigarette butts - I was there for 2 weeks and never saw anything picked up - I picked litter up as I was worried about cutting my feet - never take a child there - be warned - the tables never seemed to be washed - just flicked over with a dry cloth so there were many flies. Oh yes - one review a read on this site before we went was from Ben from Hawaii saying how wonderful this place is - well - guess what - he works at the hotel - a good friend of the owner he proudly tells you - if he thinks this place is more beautiful than Hawaii he must have seen a grotty part of Hawaii. There were no menus and no prices - everything expensive - water cheaper everywhere else - you will find you are only offered fish grill or chicken grill- unless there are plenty of guests when there will be a buffet - Oh yes - you will be getting up early as the 1st call to prayer from a mosque by the hotel is 4.30 a.m. - good luck to anyone who has booked - I'm sorry but you couldn't pay me to go back there - glad to be back in cold grey U.K. - Hereford

1 Thank Sassie19
SayadeenVillage, Manager at Sayadeen Village Nuweiba, responded to this review, December 11, 2010
Our Dearest Guest,,,

Thanks a lot for choosing Sayadeen Village,Red Sea Riviera to spend your vacation and I am really sorry for the dis-satisfaction that you faced during your stay.
I read your review several times ... and I am only wondering how come you encountered all these troubles and you didn't compalin to any of the managers in the hotel so they will all help you and solve your problems to make your stay more pleasant and more enjoyable.

I really wished you enjoyed your trip ...
Thanks for your review and for your sharing.
Best Regards
Meirelle
Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2010

We stayed for 2 weeks at the Sayadeen village and without doubt we can say it was the best holiday we have ever had.
We have stayed in many hotels in many countries, but none of them match this place. You think you have died and gone to heaven. If you want peace, relaxation, beautiful scenery and wonderful people to fill your every need, then this is the place for you.

All the staff are friendly and will do anything for you; they made us feel like one of the family.
The rooms are basic, but cleaned on a daily basis, and clean towels adorn your room each day.
The shower was running cold but we reported this to reception who fixed it straight away.
As for the dribble of water from the shower, you have to appreciate where you are, in the desert surrounded by mountains. We didn’t find this a problem.

The food is repetitive with chicken and fish most nights, but you just need to ask for something different and they are willing to oblige. They do a really good pizza and one night made us lasange.
The chefs and waiters are brilliant nothing is too much trouble.
We especially thank Bob who has a lovely way of making you feel you are the only ones there. His company in the evenings was great fun and nothing was too much trouble.

This holiday was made special for us due to the wonderful staff at the village, from the moment we arrived every thing seemed very special.
Reception arranged our trips to the Coloured Canyon, Blue Hole and Star Gazing. These trips were made more enjoyable because of our guides Figo, Salem and let’s not forget Nagy (Our strong driver) who became our good friend
(Missing the Whisky Bedouin and Arabic dancing already)
The snorkeling at the Blue Hole is something we shall never forget.
There is a small reef to the right of the village outside the Mosque we took the pedalo and found some amazing fish.

We weren’t sure what we would do of an evening but the barbecue nights were great fun with Bedouin music and dancing.
Thanks to Ben for the Salsa lesson, where we danced till the early morning.

We rode horses on the beach and fished for Calamari until the late hours. We loved ever minute.

The evenings spent with Bob, Ahmed, Nagy and Atef were special and ones we will never forget.

Thank you Ahmed for your friendship and kindness, you are a wonderful caring person. We can picture you now fishing in the beautiful water, hoping for the Calamari to come. (Wish we were there)

Atef from reception made us welcome from the moment we arrive and became our good friend.
Hope you got your Visa to visit your family.

We thank Mr Sammy and Mr Wagdi for the fresh bread and delicious breakfast we shared with you on our last morning. It was nice to meet you both and we appreciate the time you spent with us.
We shall definitely return to the Sayadeen village next year and look forward to seeing you all again.

Nagy don’t forget to practice your English and snorkeling for our return. God bless you all.

If you want a holiday you will never forget, This is the place to go!!!!!!!!!!!

So to all at the Sayadeen Village keep up the good work,
See you next year

Mr Paul and Patricia
Remember (I Love You)

1 Thank Yorkshirerose1955
SayadeenVillage, Manager at Sayadeen Village Nuweiba, responded to this review, November 24, 2010
Dear Guest,,

Thanks a lot for this supportive review and your warm, sincere feelings towards Sayadeen Hotel with its staff.
Please consider Sayadeen as your home away from home and waiting to see you soon once more.

Thanks
london
Reviewed October 30, 2010

What an amazing holiday! This place was unbelievable! Obviously it wasn't perfect but opening our door every morning seeing the breath-taking view and the always friendly staff made this holiday unforgettable.
While we were out there I had my birthday and the staff made my day very special. The towel art in our room was amazing on my birthday! (and elephant made out of towels and pillow and 'happy Birthday' written in bits of leaves -- see photo) Then that evening we had dinner on the beach. After dinner they were setting up another table with a white table cloth. Next thing i knew the two chefs,manager and waiters came over with a massive cake and was singing happy birthday! They lit the candle and sang to me again. It was really special! Also they gave me a gift (two necklaces and an ashtray).

On the last day of the holiday my boyfriend became ill. He developed a high fever and I went to the reception to ask if they could take me to a pharmacy. They said five minutes and they will come to our room. When they arrived, they came with a bag of medication and a bucket with ice water. They paid regular visits, made sure all our needs were met and showed their concern through out. It was amazing that in a week it felt like we became part of their family.
Mohammed, Bob, Nagy, Figo and Agmed (the accountant),the two chefs and all the waiting and cleaning staff was so kind and always willing to help with anything! We even got our own nicknames so we were known as John Senna and MRS Gold to everybody there!
When we went to the Egyptian markets we were taken by Figo and he helped us haggle with the shop owners to ensure we get a good price.
The food was good. Cant complain about it. WE also enjoyed the snorkelling and found some nice reefs just by swimming in the area.
We just want to say a big thank you to everybody who works there. We had a brilliant time and we will definitely be back there!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
SayadeenVillage, Manager at Sayadeen Village Nuweiba, responded to this review, November 6, 2010
Our Dear Guests,,,
First, I want to wish you a happy birthday and a happy new year full of joy, happiness and peace. Thank you so much for your nice review with all its details, I was so happy when reading it and knowing that you enjoyed your stay at Sayadeen.
Your review translate our promise to all our guests: That Sayadeen is your home away from home.
Waiting your visit to Sayadeen once more.
Thanks & B. Regards
Meirelle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuweiba
Nuweiba Coral Resort
#4 of 15 in Nuweiba
Sol Taba Red Sea
Sol Taba Red Sea
#12 of 22 in Taba

Been to Sayadeen Village Nuweiba? Share your experiences!