“AWFUL, PLEASE DON'T GO”

Serenity Makadi Beach
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Don't know where to start. Not 5* by any means, drinks undrinkable, food inedible, staff to quote "hotel caters for the Russian tourists not anybody else". There is not any "service". Worst holiday ever.

As many do, I ignored the bad reviews, in this case please don't.

Room Tip: Paid high amount for deluxe room which was ok (but not what I would call deluxe)
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Hollybolls
Write a ReviewReviews (1,357)

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Where to start with this hotel?? Got there the first night to find out our room was a ten minute bus ride away! Yes..bus ride! Was nowhere near the main building where all the 'resteraunts' and pools where. Had to pay £140 for a room upgrade. Got into our less than average room only to be greeted by around 15-20 giant ants! Could not sleep as they were crawling all over our bed sheets and pillows. Paid for an all inclusive holiday..no such thing. Their version of this is 'ultra all inclusive'...extra charge! One bottle of water per stay, re-fill able at the not so cold water machines. More bottled water? Extra charge. moving onto the staff..what staff?? Lucky to see the staff. If you needed to ask something and they could not understand what you say? They simply walk away. Food; terrible quality, no variety, re-warmed, rubbery meat, powdered juice..they put powder in the machine and just add water. No staff in the resteraunt so ask what it was we were actually eating. Me and my boyfriend were hoping for a chilled romantic holiday and that's defiantly not what we got. It's a good job we were comfortable together as we were ill together for five days. Fever, vomiting and the not so nice part..the trots:/ this was after 2 nights. Proves the quality of the food and drink. Oh and the drink..if you are ordering wine..it comes in an old plastic bottle! Pool bars? Non existant! No staff and if you finally did get a drink you could have sprite or coke in a child's size plastic cup! No other choice. The pool bar itself was disgusting. So filthy and dirty and one day, a big tile from the pillar of the pool bar fell of and was left in the water for 2 days! English?? Be prepared to talk to yourself the whole holiday as there is no other English people to be seen! All Russians everywhere you turn. The odd German and the odd French. Night time? Russian cartoons and films for children. Thats it! No entertainment what so ever for adults. Room service, extra charge. Fruit drinks, extra charge. Dinner at 4 out of the 5 resteraunts, extra charge! Best part was the weather and our trip to Cairo to see the pyramids ( which I would highly recommend) only good because it had nothing to do with the hotel. Ordered breakfast for our trip as we had to leave at 4am for our flight, our breakfast?? 3 rolls of stale bread, a hard boiled egg, 3 olives, what looked like either a cucumber or some sort of pickle? We didn't want to try whatever it was, and a small carton of juice..good breakfast! All in all we would defiantly not recommend this hotel..GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed August 22, 2012

i went there in august 2012 and i was expecting something really bad after i read the reviews. I thought i was going to hell but in fact it turned out to be really good! rooms are clean and big, linens changed every other day and fresh towels whenever you want. good territory with 6 pools and relaxing areas. sea is just amazing and take the diving tour!! see the utopia island too. I was there with the couple of friends and we had a great time! food is above average too and staff are very friendly

Room Tip: do not take the sports area(too far away)
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Sarah_Holm123
Reviewed July 30, 2012

i went in june 2012 i was amazing the staff are lovely! my daughter is only 8 and she went off around the hotel the staff kept an eye on her all the time, a german man aproched her and one of the bar staff mohammed called the security! The food is lovely. Any bad comments are only perfessional moaners they go to a hotel and try to look for the worst things about the hotel and they are proberably being paid to do it. if you read all of the bad comments you would never go anywhere so just ingore them!! xx hope this helped!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank auntieem186338
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Hi, if are you going to buy stay in this hotel, here are the realy most important things you need to know:
a lot of Russians (terrible behavior)
low quality food and drinks (they are sometimes using the food from yesterday in the salads or cold dishes)
unprofesional staff
no room service possibilities (FORGET to have nice romantic evening on the room with bottle of wine and some snacks - impossible)
Summary - choose another hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Martina B
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I paid $ 220 / night for a single room all inclusive (no fresh jiuce + low grade local alochohol)!

Totally unprofessional hotel employee.

Horrible food.

Artificial drinks.

No airconditiong in room,

Elevators don't work.

Lemosine arranged by hotel is 7 years old car, no maintained, dirty from inside, with a crazy driver.

For those who respect their holidays and money......never go there again!

Room Tip: Just Don't waste your money!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Loay E
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Oh dear, where to start? Well, here’s a quick summary – this is the worst ‘proper’ hotel I can remember having stayed in. By the end of my week, I was looking forward to getting home.

OK, here’s a bit of background. I had a week clear in my diary at short notice and felt the need for some rest and recuperation in the sun. I did what I have done several times before and headed for Egypt. I’ll be honest, the main reason for my choice of destination is that there are a couple of very convenient flights to Red Sea resorts from my (very – 5 minutes away) local airport at the weekends. And my experience of a number of different resorts has generally been very good.

I’m lazy and all I really look for on a break like this is sun – pretty much guaranteed in Egypt bar December and January – and reasonable facilities for relaxing, sleeping and generally chillin’. I’m not looking for diving experiences or lots of energetic activities and from past visits there has always been plenty of room to accommodate those looking for activity with my more sedate needs. In the past I’ve gone for 5 star ‘all inclusive’ packages and, although some packages have been better than others, they’ve all been OK.

A trip to the airport found a special offer ‘all-inclusive’ deal at the Serenity Makadi Beach. It had ticks in all the boxes and the offer made it a reasonable price, but certainly not cheap. No time to check on reviews - two days later I’m on the aircraft.

Now, I don’t really know what makes a hotel or resort qualify for the ‘5 star badge’ but I guess it’s a combination of facilities and service. But this hotel seems to struggle with both.

Arriving at the resort/hotel at 0245L, and having been on the go for over 20 hours, I was looking forward to getting to my room and starting the holiday. There were around a dozen of us from the flight staying at the resort and, as the only one travelling alone, I happened to make it to the reception desk first. Sadly, none of us got to go to our rooms until we had all checked-in, which took about 45 minutes. I understand that it is sometimes going to be necessary to do things in this way for it to be economic (especially in the middle of the night) but, in other hotels I have stayed in, a similar wait has been made pleasant with a welcome drink and someone on hand to give an overview of the facilities. Unfortunately, here I was told to wait until someone came to get me without any additional explanation. After eventually being pointed at the room and told my bag would be with me in five minutes, I spent more than 15 minutes looking longingly at the bed until my bag was delivered. By the time I hit the sack it was nearly 0400 – no problem, I thought, I’m on holiday, I can sleep as long as I like in the morning. But it was not to be – shortly after 8 o’ clock I was woken by shouts outside the room and, half an hour later, by my room door being opened by the cleaning staff. OK, I put my hand up, I forgot to hang up the ‘Do not disturb’ sign which might have helped a bit!

On day one I started exploring. A few things surprised me – rather than soap and other washing stuff being provided in the bathroom there was a soap/body wash dispenser on the wall. I haven’t seen this in a hotel since I last stayed at a hotel at a motorway service area! I looked around the room and found a mini-bar. Now I have grown used to finding a limited range of stuff in mini-bars despite being ‘all inclusive’ but this one beat the lot – I had two small bottles of mineral water (lucky for me I was single occupancy in a double room otherwise I would only have had one bottle to myself!). Even more fun was learning that these two bottles were mine to keep, and that I would have to refill them from dispensers located around the resort. It was only later that I found these office-style dispensers were often empty – this was an early indication of the seeming lack of organisation throughout the resort…..but I’ll save that for a little later.

Having seen the place in daylight I can tell you it is BIG – not just in area but also in the number of people that are packed into it. It’s the first time in a resort like this that I have had difficulty finding a sun lounger or somewhere else to relax, but places by the pools were snapped up every day before I even surfaced, and the same often applied to the sand/coral beach. I often ended up lying on the grass near my room for convenience rather than traipsing halfway across the resort to try and find a sun lounger or whatever. Actually, I can recommend this, the grass is nice and soft and I wasn’t plagued by insects irritated by my audacity in sharing their domain – perhaps they understood that space was at a premium here!

Breakfast, like all meals was, after the first day, fairly predictable. There was little variation between the offerings in the main restaurant each day and much of it was bland, occasionally bordering on unpalatable. The main restaurant, self-service buffet-style, was like a cattle market – people almost fighting to see what was in the various tureens and dishes. It might have helped if there had been signs indicating what was in each dish but most were unlabelled and diners often spent some time at a dish simply trying to work out just what it was. Strangely, there did not always seem to be any logic in what foods were put where on the central serving area but this became more understandable when refills were brought out from the kitchen and seemed simply to be put anywhere where another tureen was empty. ‘Turnover’ at tables in the restaurant was high and staff were kept busy tidying away dirty plates and so on, but sadly seemed to have little time to re-lay places after tables had been vacated. Several times I had to hunt for a knife and fork – there didn’t seem to be anywhere set aside to get them. Eventually I learned to recognise the boxes carried by one or two of the staff which contained the clean cutlery and headed straight for them – but unless you were at the ‘first sitting’ tables were usually not laid out and often dirty.

The large number of guests also meant that there were often queues, especially for anything popular, and unfortunately preparation and service were not ramped up to meet the high demand. This was particularly true of the snacks, many of which were deep fried, and generated queues before they were even served. On the beach the snacks seemed to be chips…just chips – although, to be fair, I didn’t spend a lot of time on the beach so there may have been other choices sometimes too.

Perhaps the most unpleasant thing was that almost the whole resort (after you left the admittedly impressive Reception area) was generally dirty, particularly the busy bars and food serving areas. What cleaning there was tended to be superficial and dealt with the floor and serving surfaces that were sticky with spilled drinks and food. Piles of rubbish were still easily visible under appliances behind the bars – I never saw any deep cleaning and definitely had a sense that some of the detritus was there from one day to the next. Similar levels of hygiene were common in many of the food preparation areas that were visible, with little apparent attempt to avoid contact with food. The occasional latex glove that I saw was either quickly removed and the, then sweaty, hand used to handle food or was wiped on distinctly unclean clothing or work surfaces before again being used to work on the ingredients. It is the first time in the many visits I have made to Egyptian resorts that I have felt the need to be selective in what I chose to eat so as to avoid potential stomach problems – that said, I suffered no problems and didn’t see any signs of others suffering.

I said I’d come back to the organisation….. Well, I’ve mentioned that it seemed to be a struggle to get the tables laid in the restaurant. And that the food in the restaurant appeared to be presented in a random way. And that there were queues for just about everything. And that the water dispensers around the resort were often empty (and none too clean either), but none of the staff appeared bothered. When I asked for more water on a couple of occasions I was just told it’s empty…and presumably it was someone else’s job to replace the big bottle because all I got was a shrug the one time that I asked could he please replace it. Then there were the beach towels. Like most resorts, these are on loan although here you swap a card for a towel…if there are any in the towel cabin – several times I tried to get a towel there were a crowd of people gathering around the cabin waiting for more clean towels to be delivered. Going back to the restaurant, there were about twice as many tables outside on the terrace as there were inside the restaurant with a double doorway between the two areas. It was a busy doorway as it was the main way that most people went into the restaurant, and also the way to get to the outside terrace. Even though it was a double door, one side was locked and so it was a regular bottleneck as people tried to make their way in and out…and what might be thought of as general politeness and civilised behaviour sometimes went out of the window! Another strange thing was the small shelved trays outside each of the accommodation buildings where we were asked to leave dirty plates and glasses – let’s put to one side the fact that there was no form of room service, it seems strange that these items would not be cleared away when the room is made up as has been the case in every other hotel I’ve stayed in.

The beachside restaurant – open for breakfast and evening meals – was a little more civilised and hosted a few themed evenings. But the fare was usually uninspiring and seemed to be a limited selection of what was available at the main restaurant, with one or two different sauces reflecting the theme. But at least it was not nearly as busy as the main restaurant.

On to a completely different subject – internet access. Despite being on holiday, I still wanted to keep an eye on what was going on in the office and to keep in touch with friends. There seem to be at least three ways to get on the internet – there seemed to be two wifi services, one through a local telecoms provider and an iBahn network access point, and three small booths off the reception area with wired connections. Prices were high - €5 for 30 minutes, €7 for an hour and over €100 for a week’s access come to mind – and the time periods were ‘one shot’, an hour starts when you log on and finishes an hour later whether you’ve used it all of the time or not. Price was largely irrelevant anyway because I never really managed to get access – to use the wifi you have to use a USB dongle which did not install properly on my laptop (and, for what it’s worth, took me half an hour to get rid of the failed installation and the changes it made). I then went for the wired access and bought 1 hour and got perhaps 20 minutes of very slow access before everything stopped. The man who sold me my hour didn’t have any solutions and said he would get an engineer to look at it and let me know when it was working – I never heard anything further but at least I didn’t get charged for the rather frustrating half-hour I spent sitting in the little booth. I gave up after this and didn’t try the iBahn service. Interestingly, one of the staff who was trying to get me online told me that at one of their other resorts (just 100m away) there was free wifi access in the reception area. I wandered over to find that indeed there was a working network in their other resort (Fun Park) but it required a password – even after explaining the problems that I was having in their other site I was told that “free wifi is only for guests at the Fun Park and is included in the room price”. It’s not a large company with only three resorts overall, but this – ‘you get what you get and nothing more’ - seemed to reflect the attitude to customer service and it’s a brand I will stay away from in future.

Another different topic – the grounds. There were some strange things around the grounds, quite a lot of the hedging appeared to be newly planted which, no doubt, will look better in a year or two but looks a bit bald at the moment. And the state of the grounds outside the main public areas was poor and in need of repair – this is not unusual but seems to underline a sense that what you see is rather superficial.

As I have alluded to also, the staff generally appeared not particularly interested in the guests but a couple of special mentions are deserved though, Samy in the Lounge Bar who (like all of the staff) worked incredibly long hours but almost always had a smile. On my last day something obviously had upset him and I hope it gets sorted quickly because he brought something to the place that was sadly lacking elsewhere in the resort. And Mohamed in the Asian House restaurant who obviously cared that his diners were well looked after.

The Asian House restaurant is worth a mention on its own – it’s tucked away upstairs from the reception area. Although you have to pay extra (€6 which feels a bit of a cheat at an all-inclusive resort), it’s well worth it just to get away from the madhouse of the main restaurant. Once in there, not only do you have Mohamed to look after you, there’s a selection of dishes (Chinese or Indian) to tempt you. I’m not particularly keen of Indian cuisine and so I stuck to the Chinese menu – although there’s a limited range of dishes, three styles each with two options for the main course, it was all nicely prepared and was a delight compared to other offerings in the resort. The Zucchini salad in sweet chilli sauce was just wonderful! There’s also an Italian style restaurant on the same level – same extra charge deal, I think – but I didn’t try it.

Overall the holiday, and resort, was a huge disappointment for me. There’s no question that there is a market for a resort like this – it was undoubtedly ‘family friendly’ and offers a product that is enjoyed by many. Maybe I’m just being snobbish but it doesn’t even come close to 5 star quality – unfortunately, just because everything is included in the price doesn’t qualify for the accolade! And there are other resorts in the area that are worth the rating – this resort, by comparison to some of those in the same area in which I have stayed, pales substantially.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo