“Return visit had some disappointing moments”

The Makadi Palace Hotel
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I visited makadi palace in 2012 and have just come back from there a few days ago. As you can see from my previous review i gave 5 stars and had a fantastic time. This time was not as good if im honest....

1. I emailed in advance requesting the same room, which i did not get, instead the room we had had a view of the piano bar roof. We asked to change and were told to go to reception the next day in the morning. The next morning reception told us to come back at 10pm. By this time i wanted to just unpack and get comfortable and start enjoying my holiday so we remained in that room.

2. There was a problem with the drains (we guess thats why the melange resteraunt was closed the whole holiday) so most days our room smelt like sewage...it was worse when we had been out all day then came in and got hit with it as we walked in.

3. The reason why I go to Hurghada and NOT sharm el sheik is because i prefer a quieter more relaxed holiday (sharm is more activities and doing things, parties etc).
Makadi Palace please do not try to be like sharm!!! The club music blaring out at the pool side is not relaxing, i understand you want to add these unecessary water aerobics and zumba but the music blaring all day and being forced to listen to the same CD all holiday is frustrating.
Also the beach party......strobe lights?? on holiday no thanks......it was a full moon and romantic perfect for a beach walk but ruined by tecnho house club music. Im 25 and even I didnt get it.
If i wanted all that I would have gone to sharm.

4. me and my partner booked a facial, head massage, threading and he included shaving for £80. When we got in the 'area' (basically a porta cabin) to do it it was tiny and cramped full of other people....relaxing facial and massage? forget it everyone is talking people are coming in and out it is chaos. I didnt get a masaage for some reason and chose not to have the threading/shaving, the cream on my face started burning and we were in there for about 15minutes. WASTE OF MONEY!!! if you want a treatment get the full body massage we both had that for the same price and got a 45 minute quiet relaxing massage. Just beware when booking treatments where it is done and exactly what you get.

On my birthday I wanted to book the special private balcony dinner which i had wanted the preivous holiday but there was a mistake and couldnt have it as it was our last day. The reception staff did not have a clue what i was talking about and it was by chance i decided to ask Anna at customer relations. THANK YOU ANNA!! if you want anything sorted go to anna she is so helpful and gets things done!

On a more positive note the staff are amazing yet again they make the holiday worthwhile.......the balcony dinner was unforgettable were were treated like royalty so thanks again Anna, the manager and our personal waiter Amen who works in the botanical garden.

Thank you to the staff at the thai garden and tam tam resteraunt. Also Hammed who was at the dome but normally at the melange......he got me a gift for my birthday!!! And Anthony at the shop.

Even though we had some downsides ALL the staff and service made up for it which is why we will return, just fingers crossed makadi bay does not ruin itself by trying to be like sharm el sheik.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bini121
Adel A A, Rooms Division Manager at The Makadi Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear Tripadvisor Member,

We would like to thank you for staying at the Makadi Palace and taking the time to share your valuable comment with us.

Kindly be assured that we consider all comments and requests.

Thank you for your kind words for our hotel staff members. It is a great motivation to the team at Makadi Palace.

We apologize that your expectation of a beach holiday was not exceeded.

We are looking forward to welcoming you very soon again for another wonderful stay with us.

There are newer reviews for The Makadi Palace Hotel

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Stayed from 30th May to 6th June. I was pleasently surprised how nice this hotel was considering the great deal we managed to get. I am quite fussy with my food (in terms that I prefer a la carte to buffet) and here was the perfect hotel. I travelled with my mum and we ate pretty much in a different restaurant every night, in fact there are so many if you was here for a fortnight you could still do the same.

The Makadi Mall is just accross the road and offers you more choices which all form part of the AI package, like most places some dishes are an extra cost but in my opinion you didnt have to spend to get quality, we realised that quickly after my mum had a perfect beef fillet steak with no extra cost at the Botanical Gardens. My favourite restaurants was the seafood (which is an extra cost) but our waiter Ali and Abdul were so attentive and friendly it added to our whole experience, and the Thai restaurant was just perfect. We ate delcious food every night. The breakfast was average in my opinion and we prefered Rendevouz for lunch where can have salad, soups and make your own roll, followed by ice cream and cookies!

The rooms are clean and comfortable but could do with a bit of an update but I did like the arches in the room, themed lighting and the curtains that go around the bed. If I had any feedback on the rooms it would be to have a bath mat and an extra pair of towels (I have long hair and the hand towel wasnt big enough to be honest). Our shower was a bit wobbly and we tied it with a ribbon so it worked better.

The communial areas are constantly being maintained and the sun beds are comfy with large umbrellas which for this time of the year are essential for the midday sun, very hot! The pool boys were brilliant, ensuring everyone was hydrated during the heat!

We had some beauty treatments, a massage and facepack done by Bossy (lovely lady) and pedicures which again were brilliant, we also had a revanish day we went home which was a lovely touch. The beauty salon wasnt the nicest but the workers definately are and do a very great job.

The drinks are nice, we both liked the rose wine. I have one major critisim for the hotel and we wasnt the only guests who said this and that is in the evening in Jokers bar where they have the entertainment there is not no where near adequete seating. We would eat dinner at 7.30-8pm so arrive 9.30-10pm and no seats! My mum is nearly 70 and I wear ridiculous heels occassionaly and so if we wanted to sit down we either had to sit by the reception terrace which is dark and boring or inside (which you cannot smoke so didnt suit for myself). It ended up a couple of nights going home early which wasnt by choice. I hope the management read this and take note to put extra seating, or have some music going on by the reception terrace and extra seats as well, its clearly what people want. There was also quite a few guests from the sister hotel Madiki Spa as they said to me there was no real entertainment at that hotel and therefore came to the Palace for their evenings.

Airport - its a nightmare, please be prepared. You DO need a visa, unlike Sharm. This is not the card you complete on the plane, thats your immigration card. We unfortunately had a to-do with a guy who wanted to walk off with our passports and £40 to arrange our visas, I was almost in tears as he was rude and couldnt understand why I wasnt going to let him walk off with our passports and cash. If I was more prepared for the mess that is Hurgharda airport I might not have the mind set of not returning and sticking with Sharm. Hopefully if this just helps one person not get in the state I was in (especially women travelling on their own), then it was worth taking the time to write this review.

Room Tip: We had a garden view room which was happy with on the ground floor. We over looked the Makadi Grand...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Gemma H
Adel A A, Rooms Division Manager at The Makadi Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Reviewed June 14, 2014

So, tentatively writing my first review. Just back from Makadi Palace, Makadi bay, Hurgarda. What an experience! The best type. I travelled on my own & I'd been told that Makadi bay would be perfect for what I was after, which was relaxing, beautiful safe and green surroundings. The hotel did not disappoint. So I had a junior suite, room was large & spacious. The bathroom was in need of sprucing up, it was a little tired but clean & perfectly ok - that was the only real downside. Lovely balcony & everything with a couple of minutes walk. Food great, so much choice. Try the sunset bar if you are after burgers & cocktails. The Thai was amazing, service there was first class & the food rivalled London restaurants, so much so I went twice. Also try the Labanese (Tam Tam) in the mall, which was also all inclusive! The Botanical Gardens was also lovely. Breakfast you can ear whatever you fancy really - all buffet style, or freshly cooked omelettes.

So the gardens around the hotel are just as lovely as they say & you can find quiet parts or more populated, whatever you want. Get there early obviously for the best locations. A big word of thanks to Faresh & Mohammed pool waiting staff, who brought endless drinks, all served with a smile.

My biggest thanks was to the bar staff in the Lobby/ Lobby Terrace, especially to Yousef Amur. I travelled on my own & he particularly went out of his way to make it a 5* experience. I was treated like a princess, he remembered my drinks & so much so he always had a drink waiting & served as soon as he saw me. Please say thank you to him, for making it such a memorable holiday.

The airport is an experience, getting into Hurgarda was a farce. Do not go right when you go in, you will be expected to do this as they hold placards with your holiday company's name - a con to make more money. Go left as soon as you get into the airport, the visa should be $25 but people I spoke to were charged a variety of prices at the booths on the right.

Tipping - little and often. Average daily wage is 10 Egyptian Pounds so tipping this or more is way too much. Euros and dollars work out cheaper. Do not use the water from the taps to brush your teeth or have ice in drinks. Saying that I expected to get a dodgy tummy but I didn't although people I met had. The sun is strong so if you are fair wear a hat & stay out of the mid day sun.

The best holiday I have had in a while because of the amazing staff, literally the most welcoming & friendly, attentive staff and a credit to the hotel. I am already planning to go back & I never normally repeat a hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor if possible.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Happybunny1313

Dear Tripadvisor Member,

We would like to thank you for staying at the Makadi Palace and taking the time to share your valuable comments with us.

We are happy you had a nice time at the Makadi Palace.

Thank you for your kind words for our hotel staff members. It is a great motivation to the team at Makadi Palace to have your feed back.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again on your future holidays for relaxation and celebrations.

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3rd till 10th June.
On arrival met by reception staff, who were so very helpful, our luggage was taken to our suite and then we were showed to our late arrival restaurant, Leonardos where freshly made pizza was prepared for us along with drinks, great when you arrive at 11.30pm.
Over the course of our stay we had breakfast at the Dome or Discovery restaurant both were brilliant with so much choice perhaps too much, fresh omelette, waffles pancakes made while you wait as well as everything else you would have for breakfast and more, both are pool side which is stunning, the staff work so hard and so polite nothing is a problem for them, lunch is exactly the same, so much choice and a bbq cooking as well everyday.
In the daytime around the many pools the service again is fantastic, you are waited on hand and foot, the place is kept immaculately clean, from the pools to the many bars and eateries and many toilets, this service is carried on at the beach too with waiter service from the beach bars and the snorkeling is unbelievable, they do not expect tips but very gracious when they receive them, I tipped approximately £3 a day in 1 dollar bills.
The evening restaurants were perfect too, either eating at the Dome or discovery the choice is amazing with yet again a bbq cooking every night, we also ate at the Thai, which sadly I didn't find that good, it's not that authentic and I do eat lots of Thai food in England, also we ate at the botanical which was very good, I had a slight issue with one item on my plate and mentioned it, this was relayed to the manager who at the end of our meal very courtesly spoke to us for about 20 minutes explaining what approach he had for the restaurant, he was totally first class in his understanding of fine dining, thank you so much for your time..
The whole hotel should be very proud of its staff and themselves for the first class professional care that they take of you.
Thank you very much and see you again in November.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rayleighmark

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Just back from 7 days at the Makadi Palace and it was fantastic. The rooms were outstanding. The food was excellent. The whole place was very clean and the staff were very welcoming and attentive.
I must give a very big thank you to Serge (Assistant Hotel and Food and Bar Manager), Anna (Guest relationship Manager), Marvin (Guest Relationship Manager and the coolist guy we have ever met !!) and Victoria (House Keeping Manager). All of which who took their Jobs very seriously but did so with a smile and great enthusiasm.

We cannot recommend the hotel enough. If you go please go to the Beach Party. It was amazing. Fire Breathers and great music. SUPERB NIGHT.

Room Tip: You must go to the jetty and try the snorkelling. The fish are incredible !!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank CraigTaylor99
Adel A A, Rooms Division Manager at The Makadi Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

Reviewed June 4, 2014

We booked 1 week late deal with Red Sea holidays, excellent.13th May, didn't know what to expect as some of the review's for this hotel were not very good. We could not fault this Hotel, Beautiful setting, lovely pool, friendly staff, we had a junior suit, this was lovely. The food and drinks were good, waiter service around the pool area's never left you without a drink. amazing snorkelling in the sea, Both my husband and I would choose to stay at the Makadi Palace Hotel again.

Room Tip: Our Room was quiet, we stayed on the ground floor 3159
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 802Linda

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Firstly a huge thank you to Haytham Shriba Desk manager having e mailed him with requests he went way above what we asked for and made my family holiday so much better
This was our third visit to the hotel and everything was as good as previous visits,
The staff are friendly and polite,and do remember you if you take the time to speak.
The food in the buffets is good and the a la carte is very good although some are better than others (botanical and Leonardo's best in my opinion) the Thai is no longer open for lunch and the Melange is closed at the moment
the only downside was the entertainment from having a resident abba tribute act and excellent nightly shows it's now a terrible noisy dj and screeching Russians on Karaoke not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel Also there is a lot of Russians of which a large percentage are very rude to staff and other guests.
Apart from those two little issues this is a superb hotel for the money you pay If you look for faults you can find them but just relax enjoy the setting and have a wonderful holiday
Finally I anyone who has read my previous reviews know that reception staff are a bug bear of mine but not this time once again Haytham Shriba and his desk staff were outstanding

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family