“A Christmas I certainly won't forget!!”

Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort
Ranked #26 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Norwich, United Kingdom
“A Christmas I certainly won't forget!!”
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

We arrived late night and our bags were left outside on the step for about half an hour which made me feel uncomfortable . When given cards to our room we had a door that wouldn't open and continued to do so throughout the course of the holiday. THe large pool was ridiculously cold which meant that I never actually saw anyone swim in it during 2 week stay and everyone was crammed in a tiny pool elsewhere. The food is absolutely disgusting and I would definetly not visit their pizza parlour. Although the pizzas smell nice birds poo on the work surface where they kneed the dough and eat out of the toppings bowl and flour. When I went to eat the cakes in the pizza parlour there was actually a bird shut in the glass case trying to get out pooing on all of the cakes in the process. It's in a horrible location and us full if extremely bad tempered Russian people. According to the staff we were the only English people in the hotel. If you have children that are about 13 , the staff will still serve them alcohol and let them into the over 18 nightclub . All male staff were extremely creepy trying to chat up teenage girls . On the plus side it was sunny and the entertainment team were brilliant . I still had a good holiday as I wouldn't let the hotel ruin it . But a better hotel would have made it ten times more of a better trip

Stayed December 2013
4 Thank Mollyrushx
MinaHarmonyMakadi, Front Office Manager at Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, and we do thank you for your comments as your opinion is very important for us. and we wish to that we did notes your comments during stay ,meanwhile we will make sure that you will have the most efficient service at your next stay once you will visit us again.
Also we have the pleasure to offer your a complimentary upgrade to a sea view room and a complimentary unlimited invitation to our ala cart restaurants ( Marco Polo & Layalina Restaurant)
Looking forward to welcome you again at the Harmony Makadi Bay
Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed in this hotel many years ago and reading the current reviews it hasn't changed at all. Again full of rude Russians. The food was not up to standards i would expect from a 5 * resort. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere, so you have to get a taxi if you go anywhere outside. The pool was freezing cold, and we went in January (Egypt winter) they did have a jacuzzi pool which was nice, so you could warm up after swimming. Everytime you tried to sunbathe you would get pestered for diving trips etc, they wouldn't leave you alone. The hotel said that it had a gym, but when we looked they had 2 machines that were broken, that's it. The entertainment was worse than Butlins, what i can remember Italians dancing on the stage. Would not stay here again ever, even if someone paid for me!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mand33
MinaHarmonyMakadi, Front Office Manager at Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, August 20, 2014

Warm Greetings

First let us express our deep apologies to your good self and thank you for taking part of
your valuable time to explain the inconveniences you faced during your stay with us, as
it will be of a great support to us defining and enhancing all potential weaknesses we
might be encountering.

At Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort we always give great attention to any recommendations or comments raised by our valuable guests and take them on the highest seriousness levels, so we have deeply investigated all incidents reported by your good self, we are ensuring that immediate corrective actions are being taken

I sincerely hope that such experience will not deter you from returning back to our resort; in the meantime we look forward to welcoming you back on many more occasions in the future. Furthermore, if you would be so kind as to contact us the next time you book our hotel, we will do my best to ensure that your stay is as pleasant and enjoyable as possible.

The Management

Travelers are raving about these Makadi Bay hotels

Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I'm going tomorrow for five days and hope at 2014 it will be better than the reviews I read b4 ,we are 9 families so we will occupy many rooms and suits , lower floors and higher floors , it's all inclusive so I will see too is it a good and the quality of food , service , stuff ,are they nicer than I read b4 , will update you as soo as I get back :)

Room Tip: I choose 2 rooms open at each other for me and my kids ( lower floor ), will see tomorrow what I wil...
Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort and for taking the time to leave a review about our hotel on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

Many thanks for your decent compliments, it’s only through valuable feedback received from our valued guests, such as your good self, that we are able to maintain and further improve the quality of our services.

I am very pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We place great value on your continued relationship with Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort
Looking forward to welcome you once again at Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at any time.

The Management
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I m going to this hotel in December this year and have never been before... i just want to point out (i hope i'm right) that all of the bad reviews were in 2012 and have been better under 'new management (in 2013) DON'T LET THE OLD REVIEWS PUT YOU OFF
ps. looking forward to my holiday and to be honest not having room service(as alot of people have been saying) isnt going to ruin my holiday- being picky on holiday isnt a way to enjoy it!! ;)

Room Tip: Dont be picky on holiday: on a big resort- staff are bound to make slight slip ups anyway ...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I have only been here for one night actually for a few hours only and it was very unpleasant so far.
Starting from the visa machine that is not working and forcing you to pay in cash! Then the rooms that were very far with no elevators if you are staying in the 3rd floor! Italian restaurant for "late dinner" had a very poor food, out of a lot of items, waited forever for plastic cups of water! The room has a very old furniture and cheap plastic chairs! Even the tv is vert bad!!

Stayed October 2013
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Having booked with Thomas cook and been recommended this hotel by them I must admit I was a bit concerned reading the negative comments on here. We were so pleasantly surprised at the wonderful location and facilities. The hotel grounds are set on the beach and our balcony had a pool and sea view which was magnificent. The room was immaculate with a shower larger then I have ever seen.
The pool areas are constantly being cleaned and the swim up bar pool was our favourite with the most excellent coffee made every morning for us by Mahmood. Then he was taken over by Hosney in the afternoons ans was equally lovely. In the evenings we mostly chose to have a quiet drink in the Shisha bar being very ably served by Ehab. We were very impressed by the food choices, you could eat for 24 hours a day if you so chose!! The main restaurant was airy and clean with very nice air conditioning and the Manager could not be any more attentive, he was fabulous. A glass of red wine would be ready for us when we arrived for dinner. There was always freshly cooked fish, pasta, chicken, salads, vegetables. I could go on but I really don't understand the negative food comments. We were completely satisfied. The Animation team also work very hard but again it is a choice whether you take part or not. We enjoyed some of the daytime activities like water aerobics and darts. In the evenings we preferred to sit and chat but our girls enjoyed the evening shows.
I only have one suggestion though and that would be to promote the AMAZING boat retaurant differently. You have to pay a very small amount extra to eat on the boat, all the drinks are all inclusive, but it is worth every penny ( we paid for 3 courses £30 for both of us!). It is advertised as a fish restaurant which puts a lot of people off. I believe you should just say the boat restaurant.
Over all we can't complain. The General Manager was ,as were all the Managers, very attentive and helpful. Nothing is too much trouble. We would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: I think this depends on your mobility. We were right on the beach a fair walk from the main building...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank MrsTrace
Maribor, Slovenia
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Our one week stay in Harmony hotel is over. When I booked the hotel I was not expecting much due to the reviews already on trip advisor and I was right.

This hotel does not deserve 5 stars. If this resort was in Europe it would had max 3*. Staff (with some exceptions) are extremely unfriendly. One day the cleaner didn't clean our room because we didn't leave him tip. When you order drinks at the bar you get them in realllyyyy small plastic cups and the waiter looks at you like you did something to him when you ordered.
Oh and all liqour tastes the same. My idea is that it is just alcohol and they add some colour and artificial flavour of whiskey or whatever you drink.

Food is DISGUSTING... All week the same stuff. You have noodles with tomato sauce, pure rice, some uncooked potatoes and maybe some meat if you get lucky and are willing to wait in a line after a looot of people because there is ALWAYS a huge line. There is one of everything for 500+ people .. There were 4 of us and after 4 days we all had stomach problems so I stoped eating hotel foor the last 2 days.

One day we wanted to leave the resort to go to hurgada on our own. We called a taxi and when it came we weren't allowed to take it because they have their own taxi company and you have to take that one. It costs 40 dollars to go to hurgada and back. But if you call your own taxi you get it for around 7 :) So the next day we called it again but we had to go and wait it outside the resort wich is around 15 minutes walk to get there.

But after all this you lay down next to the pool or on the beach to relax right. Wrong every 5 minutes someone comes to disturbe you and sell you something ( either a trip, a massage, haircut.....) and they don't give up very easy.

Oh and the beach :) I think it sais on their page they have around 500m of beach... 497m of it is there just so that you can see the sea that is around 100m away from where the beach starts since there is the coral reef and you can't swim anyway.

Oh and there are mostly Russian people there, wich must the the most unpolite nation I have ever had a chance to see.

The only thing is that the inside of the resort looks nice but don't let the looks fool you. The devil is in the details :)

Enjoy your holiday ;)