Stayed two weeks in Harmony late April 2012, this was our second trip to Hurgahada.
Seems like all the hotels in Makadi area are huge resorts, capacity +1000 visitors on all of them. Harmony is a huge resort, probably over 1000 capacity but only 30-50% full when we was there. You really get a lot of walking if you want to daily have a walk by the seaside, walk to meals etc. We was taken to our room upon arrival with a golf cart.
The rooms are vey good, large and maybe in a need of a little updating, but very functional. Excellent double bed, good tv with US movies and European soccer, excellent bathroom with good size. Daily cleaning was excellent. They fill the small fridge with water and soda daily. They have smal safe in room, butit is so small that we could not fit our laptops in there. No problem, laptops were safe just on tables! The balcony is of a good size and we had a brillint sea view directly from the balcony. Sound proof could be a little better - we heard a cell phone ring next door every morning at 7.00 AM. Excellent air conditioning.
There is nothing spectacular about the hotel but everything there works out fine. The pool area (3-4 large pools) is very good, one pool with slides and water aquatics and animation team activities, another adult pool with a very good pool bar (better than expected drinks and cocktails) and a large quiet adult pool + nice hot tub. All the pools kept clean nice. A huge number of sun beds, always easy to find a vacant one, very efficient towel service.
Because of being a quiet season, only the main buffet and Italian restaurants were open. Food is plentiful and ok. Because most of the clients are from Russia, the food is obviously prepared for these clients - but still pretty good. Italian restaurant served Italian and oriental dinners, we had 2-3 of those and they were ok. The main buffet meals are ok but we liked the atmosphere in the Italian restaurant better. Actually the main buffet restaurant is like a huge college cafeteria - no character at all. And the people there are most efficient - sometimes your plate was already taken before you thought you had not finished ! Once our entire table was gone while we were picking up some beef after the salad - real efficient. But overall, the meals were good and plentifull, and service first class.
The only problem we had was that there is no beach in the resort ! There is some 400-500 metres of area where sand meets water, but it is not what I would call "a sandy beach". It all looks nice with lots of sun beds and blue water. But it is beach where you cant swim or even really walk, you need to have protective shoes and walk some 200 metres before you can swim. And even after that there is not really a coral and fish to watch. On the left hand side you can actually walk and swim in a very small area but still: no sandy beach. In a place like that you would expect them to have a pier, where you could walk and swim from the pier - but here is no pier. Seems like they are starting to build one, dont know when it will be ready.
They have a man made lagoon (like 200 m x 30 m) just by the beach where you could swim and sun bath, but I did not see anybody swim there. Looked really nice but the sand was almost rock hard - nobody swimming there.
On the beach they also had a large lunch area serving simple pizza / hamburger / salad lunches which worked out just very well - very efficient.
They had animation teams, evening programs and discos but we did not participate - and really liked that nobody pushed for anything. Likewise, they have people selling trips, massage etc by the pool but nobody was pushing anything. We really liked the very quiet relaxed atmosphere.
We had a full day bus trip to Luxor to see the history - very nice eventhough a long trip. Also the day snorkling from a boat was nice.
The clients were mostly Russian. Some Scandinavian, German and other European. Middleaged couples, some families with small children and some 2-4 ladies groups.
Overall this is a very nice resort if you are looking for a relaxed, quiet holiday with lots of sun and swimming by the pool. Not much else to do.
They also have a very well working wifi in the entire resort. For the entire two weeks time I was cut off only twice, once because of sandstorm, and the wifi worked surprisingly well for two weeks.
Overall: a very good experience. Because they lack a sandy beach, I would not rate this resort as 5 star- They also lack some character, it just a very efficient and large resort.
If you are looking for a great social holiday with a lots of partying etc, this probably is not your place. If you are looking for a quiet, relaxed holiday with lots of sun and water with all inclusive resort, this is a very good alternative.
Harmony is one of the low end of the listed 5 star resorts. With the money we payed we did not expect to get European level 5 star experience but we were very happy with the level of the holiday we reserved. Would recommend to a friend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort is located in the prominent Makadi Bay area, only 25KM southern of the very popular Egyptian holiday destination "Hurghada", on Egypt's beautiful Red Sea Riviera. Makadi is a peaceful bay with many opportunities for snorkeling and scuba diving. The semi-tropical climate makes this both a summer and winter resort. The Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort is situated directly on over 600 meters private and white sandy beach, and has a spectacular house reef very close by, which guests may use for snorkeling. Among the 552 outsized (52sq m), comfortable & luxurious rooms, year-round sunshine, panoramic views of sea (subject to hotel availability against charge 10$ per room per night) and blue skies, Spa, tennis fields, all makes the Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort the place for unique moments to remember. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Otel, Booking.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel Makadi Bay
- Harmony Makadi Bay Hotel And Resort
- Domina Makadi Bay Resort
- Domina Makadi Bay Hotel & Resort