“Top Red Sea Holiday”

Fort Arabesque Resort, Spa & Villas
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed May 29, 2010

Our first trip to Makady Bay, almost everyone we met seemed to be regular visitors & it's easy to see why.

A nice clean hotel, friendly staff, a good mixture of clients - catering for all ages (Saga to toddlers) and a good mixture of nationalities but appearing to be mainly Italian, German & British.

A fair selection of buffet style meals, not earth shattering menus & a little bit repetative after 2 weeks, but still something for everyone. No obvious food hygiene worries, heard the odd complaint of the old Pharohs revenge which was probably down to individual constitution rather than dodgy catering, no mass outbreaks.

The hotel itself is a large sprawling complex composed of 2 wings, both with their own restaurants & pools with easy access to a long stretch of shared beachfront. The New wing is the quieter of the 2, housing the Saga guests, older couples and younger families. The Old wing houses the "fun" beach & pool area, home to the impossibly hyperactive Italian animation team, (great if that's your thing). Thankfully, the sound of "fun" is not overwhelming away from the Old wing pool area & their forrays into the New wing area "to get the party started" were minimal & relatively brief.

The main draw for this destination is probably the House Reef, situated a few metres off the main beach, making snorkelling & diving (after sunbathing) the most popular daytime activities. Special mention goes to Carlo & Erika who run the relatively small Italian iDive outfit. I found this to be one of the most friendly, inclusive & professional dive operations I have encountered on the Red Sea. Catering for all abilities, there's some very picturesque dive sites within a 10-20 minute boat journey & as mentioned the House reef is on the doorstep. I would recommend this as a place to learn to dive or gain experience in a sheltered environment, the currents are minimal & 18-20 metres covers the usual depth profile. Hardcore divers may find the standard dives a little tame, but Nitrox & trips further afield to more challenging sites are possible. iDive also run larger all day island & snorkelling boat excursions as well as the glass bottom boat for those unable/unwilling to dip a toe in the sea.

All in all. a top 2 weeks, would recommend this to anyone & it will be my first choice when booking our next trip to the Egyptian Red Sea.

5  Thank ScubaBantam

Reviewed May 27, 2010

A great hotel, very very good food, fantastic private beach and brilliant coral reefs just yards from the shore. We had a very relaxing week - no need to leave the hotel. The staff are very friendly, hotel is very clean. Only downside was poor wif-fi connection.
I would love to go back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Horsham_Matt
Reviewed May 24, 2010

This is our 4th holiday at the Fort Arabesque Hotel and we are still thoroughly satisfied with all aspects of the hotel & staff.
The location is second to none & we would certainly have no hesitation in booking again.
Contrary to the comments of the "Yorkshire" person, we have always found Mohammed, the restaurant manager, to be fair, courteous & helpful and we have never seen or heard him raise his voice to his staff.
The staff are friendly to all nationalities equally and none are treated any differently to others.
Over the 4 years that we have visited the restaurant staff have changed very little so Mohammed can't be that bad a boss!

3  Thank SWalesWelshlady
Reviewed May 23, 2010

Just returned from 2 weeks at Fort A, and as this was our third return stay at this hotel, I guess that really sums it all up. A perfect chill in a good location with 1st class service from the staff..

In my first review of this hotel, i described it as being like a comfortable pair of slippers and as the title suggests the slippers still fit comfortably.

It is true that you can find more modern / affluent looking and lively hotels nearby, but having poked a nose around a few of them, looks can be deceptive and I wouldn't want to stay in them if you paid me.

The hotel has a very mixed european clientel / influence which can throw up some interesting combinations at meal times, but despite this, the food is more than acceptable with good hygine standards.
Therefore, if you only want to meet Brits abroad and eat fish and chips, then this is probably not the place for you.
Speaking of Brits, hi to Vicky and ian ( a convert to snorkelling) ( if you want to get in touch, I can bore you silly with my snorkel video clips).

Anyway to summarise, a lovely hotel, with superb staff, offering peace & quiet and ideal snorkelling straight off the beach.

Are we going back for a 4th time ? You better believe it.

4  Thank anhonestjoe
Reviewed May 22, 2010

thiis is the first time to egypt, staying at fortarabesque was very relaxing,my husband and i loved it so much we booked it again for next year. the staff are very friendly the hotel was very clean and the food was very nice, and i am a fussy eater. we met a lot of english familys and we had a great holiday, i cant wait to go back next may.

3  Thank BerkshireVicky
Reviewed May 19, 2010

I stayed at the Fort Arabesque in August of last year with my husband 2 children and other family members. The hotel is fantastic and the standards of cleanliness are exceptionally high. My children were thrilled with the animal shapes made from towels by the cleaner everyday. Our suite was cleaned twice daily and our beds were turned down every evening. The gardeners work 24/7 to keep the grounds as beautiful as they are.

The service was second to none and if you tip the staff at the beginning of your holiday they cant do enough for you for the duration of your stay, all staff were absolutely fantastic with children and always made a special effort to speak to them and entertain them.

There is a wide choice of food, and even my son who is a very fussy eater did not refuse to eat anything on offer. We didnt find the food repetetive, but I suppose you would if you were averse to trying new foods. The food was always fresh and hot and plenty of selection.
The weekl ypoolside bbq was a big hit, however, this does get extremely busy and if you are not early you may have trouble getting a table.

The main pool was quite busy although we generally used the pool outside the new wing where we were staying which was quiet and never over crowded. Pool water is very cold as the pools are not heated, but all are cleaned daily and in good state of repair.

The beach is the nicest in the whole of the bay, we visited other hotels and the beaches were nowhere near as lovely as that of fort arabesque. There are plenty of sunloungers and parasols no matter what time of day you go to the beach. The snorkelling opportunites are fantastic and you see a wide array of fish from being knee deep in water. I would advise dive/beach shoes for childre(and adults) as the coral is very sharp if you stand on it (I have a nice scar on my knee to prove this). The dive school is also well worth a visit, and the dive spots are incredible.DONT buy your snorkelling equipment from the hotel shop you will pay less than half the asking price in the hotel next door.

There is a small selection of shops within the hotel, selling jewellery, perfume, designer clothes and handbags (genuine fakes of course) and although the hotel shops are slightly higher priced than those within the near by shopping mall ( about 15 mins walk along sea front), you can haggle but you wont get pestered as much in the hotel shops. For the biggest bargains make the 15 min walk to the shopping centre, and remember the shop keepers hate to lose a sale so if they refuse your price, then LEAVE, i guarantee they will call you back and accept your price.

The camel and riding stable just outside of the hotel grounds are fantastic, and I would recommend the sunset camel trek to anybody, and the guides are helfpul and insightful.

The evening entertainment in the ampitheatre is mainly in italian, I couldnt comment on this entertainment though as we generally stayed by the pool where there is a singer every night as my daughter has epilepsy and the flashing lights of the ampitheatre were not ideal for her.

All in all, a fantastic holiday, we are booking again for next year (this says something as I always said I would never go to the same place twice). I would recommend it to anyone and it is an ideal location for familes with young children.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank Tr4v3lling_b10nd3
Reviewed May 18, 2010

All the staff are very friendly, just a shame that Mohammed, in charge of the restaurant gives the waiters such a hard time, and seems to cause chaos during service. They seem to be running up and down all over the place and getting nowhere fast because he tells them one thing and then another. Also he seems to favour italian guests more than any other europeans, this i know is because they are always giving him tips, which he puts in his pocket and doesn't share with the waiters.
I have seen him with italian women, and he can't do enough to please them. I think that the general manager should be aware of this, maybe it's time to replace Mohammed with a more honest and organised person. I had a birthday whilst I was there and my husband gave him £50.00 to make it extra special for me. The staff gave me a very nice birthday, but Mohammed kept the £50.00 and gave only 5 Euro to the staff. I think this is very unfair, and the general manager needs to address this. I tried to find the general manager to voice my concerns over this, but he was unavailable, due to holidays. Otherwise all other staff, no problems.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Hilton Hurghada Resort
Hilton Hurghada Resort
#41 of 222 in Hurghada
Baron Palace Sahl Hasheesh

Been to Fort Arabesque Resort, Spa & Villas? Share your experiences!