“Fantastic Value For Money!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Makadi Hotel

You added The Grand Makadi Hotel to your Saves list
The Grand Makadi Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Safaga Road, Makadi Bay, Hurghada, Egypt (Formerly The Grand Makadi)   |
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Value For Money!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Me and my partner were looking for a last minute deal just for a break away before Christmas and stayed at this hotel w/c 14th of December for one week! we paid £220pp!! & WHAT A BARGAIN!!! The hotel was immaculate clean sheets and towels everyday including beach towels, yes the rooms were a little dated as it is the oldest out of the 5 hotels within the complex but all in all it was a wonderful trip. staff were friendly and could never do enough for you! there wasnt much entertainment but i put this down to being out of season. close to the beach which is rocky so sea shoes are adviseable the only thing i would complain about are the breakfast cereals only consisted of cornflakes and porridge and the cooked breakfast options wernt very nice at all aswell as having no toaster! and but all in all a fantastic stay ignore all complaints & BOOK TO GO!!! amazing.

5 Thank Jessie F
Grand-Makadi-Team, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Makadi Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2015
Dear guests,
Thank you for your positive feedback. I’m glad that you enjoyed your holidays with us, and I will pass your comments on to our team. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Just returned from a week at the Grand Makadi, and what can i say, other than brilliant.
We booked this holiday a 2 weeks before Christmas and paid £389 each which included a Junior Suite. As another reviewer had stated about the poolside villa being free, i emailed the hotel a few days before our arrival to request the room. I recieved an email back stating it was 20 euros pppn extra, and as i didnt want to pay for it i emailed back saying so, and to the original booking as it was, with the junior suite. On arriving at the hotel, and whilst waiting to be allocated our rooms, i was called out and was given a pool villa free of charge. Well impressed with the room, and location would definitely try for one again.
The food being all inclusive can get a little repetitive even after a weeks holiday, but this can be said of any all inclusive anywhere. The food in the LaLuna restaurant was excellent, with a good choice of hot and cold buffet. The different restaurants within the hotel also offered a good choice, howver, the Lebanese Restaurant was by far the best. The ambience of the place, and the food, especially the Kofta was to die for. Ate hear twice in the week, and both times the food was excellent. The Carribean restuarant was a bit of a let down though. No complaints on the food choice, or quality. I had the South Sea Curry, and it was lukewarm. This was no major problem, and was rectified when mentioned. Did make me wonder though if all the dishes were served lukewarm, although my other half had the Aruba Grill without any complaints. The bar staff were the friendliest we have met anywhere we have been, and Khaled, the bar waiter went beyond the call of duty to ensure we had good service. I sat there one morning at 10.30 and it was roasting. The next thing i know i have a G and T infront of me, without any request or beckoning.
The pool is enormous and cleaned every night. There are more than enought sunbeds to go around, and the beach (private) it superb with easy access points into the sea to snorkel.
This is not a negative of the hotel, however, an evening entertainments programme would be beneficial. Although we met some fantastic people and had a good criach, it would have been good to have some kind of entertainment, as they had at the Makadi Palace. I did mention this to you of the Senior Management Team, and he said that they only put on entertainment in the summer months, but would take my comments on board.
Any negative reviews on here, please ignore, and those who put them on, are hard to please, and thrive on bad reviewing, I know that everyone cant be pleased all of the time, like a fellow guest who couldnt get any Brandy all week, due to some issue with the supplies in the whole of Hurghada, but that is out of the hotels control. Now i agree, i would be peed off if they were out of my drink all week, and the hotel should substitute it with a premium brand, which they didnt have a problem with, but this is a different debate for a different day. The hotel was absolutely brilliant, better in our view than the Makadi Palace, and they will certainly be getting our patronage again, without a doubt, and as we only got back last night, already looking for the next deal out there.

Room Tip: Try for a poolside villa. These are slightly away from the main hotel, and are quieter and have larg...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Russ1958
London, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I have to say i was very dissapointed by this hotel, reading the reviews beforehand I was quite hopeful. However, I feel this is the 1st time that Trip Advisor has let us down.

Food - Not hot luke warm at best, Poor buffet choice, A la Carte's ok (French the best one)
Drinks - Weak lager, flat tonic, warm white wine, poor glassware
Pool - Freezing
Hotel - Tired Looking
Room - OK apart from bath (chipped & dirty looking)
Resort - Ok but not much to do
Evening Entertainment - Almost non existent
Fellow Guests - Lots of Russians & Germans

Also had a nasty experience upon arrival when the red sea reps collected our Visa money (£13 each). He denied the fact that I had given him £20 note & had full blown argument with him to convince him otherwise, eventually a manager stepped in to diffuse the situation (dare I use the word corrupt !)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Grand-Makadi-Team, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand Makadi Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2015
Dear guests,
Thank you for taking the time to feed back to us. I’m sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I do not believe that the issues you describe are typical of our guest experience, but we take all customer feedback seriously. I will take steps to address your comments.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Having already spent a week at the makadi palace we decided to try the sister hotel next door, the grand makadi.
Here's a brief review of our stay.
Flight: ok but not the best with monarch.
Transfer: good with friendly red sea holidays rep.
Arrival and check in. Good and efficient.
Rooms: our suite was large, spacious and clean. It looked over the sister hotel the makadi palace.
Pools: impressive large and clean pools, never overcrowded with plenty of beds available.
Beach: nice beach constantly being cleaned, plenty of beds, shade and windbreaks. The beach staff are excellent as are all the staff at this hotel. There is coral so beach shoes are recommended. The pier is now finished for access to the fantastic house reef.
Restaurants: we only visited the buffet once which was good. The a la carte restaurants at the hotel and makadi mall were excellent. We really enjoyed the Indian, Chinese and Arabic restaurant. Staff, service, cuisine and drinks were very good.
What makes this hotel is the great staff and 1st class customer service. Overall we really enjoyed our stay. Would we recommend the hotel? Yes without a doubt. Would we return? Yes 100% (MIA MIA).

• Stayed October 2012
5 Thank WarrenP
Orpington, Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My partner and I have just returned from spending a very relaxing Christmas at The Grand Makadi (21st - 28th December), our second visit this year. Much has been said already about the hotel, the rooms, the food,the cleanliness,the service, tipping etc etc - some reviews I agree with - others I would refute. The pool was indeed unheated and we were told every day, it would be heated tomorrow .... tomorrow never came ... and it was cold! Our suite was wonderful - we requested the same as we had previously upgraded to in April - and got it! Someone was listening! It was superbly cleaned, beach towels exchanged daily, and we were well looked after.
The only negative for me would be that Red Sea Holidays use Monach - and again, the flight was over 3 hours late taking off - because the aircraft was used the same morning for a delayed return trip to Grenoble where there were problems. It makes the arrival at the hotel and dining extremely late; having said this, it was improved on last time when we only had 15 minutes to eat at The Lagoon - no alternative was offered. Also improved was the check-in, baggage arrangements and the welcome meeting. Altogether more reasons to return than not. One point to add regarding currency - the staff has problems when given pound sterling coins as they are unable to exchange them - and are constantly asking tourists for sterling notes - far better to give notes in whatever curency you have.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a junior suite
4 Thank Maggi49
Dear guests,
Thank you for your feedback. I’m glad that you enjoyed your holidays with us, and I will pass your comments on to our team. I apologize that we did not exceed your expectation in all aspects of your holiday, but rest assured, your comments are noted and we are working to resolve them for the future. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
south yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

this was a pleasant experience. the hotel was clean although it could do with a refurbishment. The food was quite reasonable providing you ate at one of the themed restaurants. Breakfast was the same each day but hey i like eggs and the bread was great. The staff were very helpful in all areas. But the guy on the beach who served drinks was very attentive. Because its a complex you are not pestered like in towns and villages.

Room Tip: upgrade to a junior suite where possible.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank martin w
Grand-Makadi-Team, Guest Relation Team at The Grand Makadi Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2015

Kind Regards,
Your Guest Relation Team
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We previously stayed at this hotel two years ago at Xmas 2010 and enjoyed our time immensely (see prev report), we stayed here from Dec 14th for two weeks this year and we picked this hotel specifically as the last time we stayed it had a heated pool and it still advertises this, we were very disappointed to see (and feel) that this is now not so, we spoke to reception three times to be told that it would be heated tomorrow (it wasn’t and still was freezing when we left), we found out later that the line is broken and it is not pumping heat into the pool, after I spoke to customer relations they very kindly arranged for us to have wristbands to use the Sunwing Hotel, however after finding it we came straight back (it is Water park and of course packed with children), we had a few problems with the room, a.c wasn’t working and shower was broken but after three visits to the front desk these were fixed, the food was exactly the same as it was two years ago, the Xmas menus for all the restaurants were the same, we paid extra for the Xmas Eve meal in the Lebanese but walked out after the main meal as it was so hot in the room, the food was pretty good though, the entertainment for Xmas eve was the usual, singer, dancers and a Hoda (whirling dervish), we did notice a huge decline in the amount of British guests this year, mainly German/Russian guests visiting Egypt now, which would explain why the staff rarely spoke English to us at first, we had a look around the three newer hotels and we thought they were much better, Makadi Spa (looks amazing although not finished), Makadi Palace, there is a fantastic beach in front of the Sunwing, just walk to the beach in front of the Grand Makadi and keep walking right there is a beach hut serving beer down there which was playing Xmas carols, while we had a few liquid lunches (great fun)..All in all, we had a nice time, but as this was our 9th visit to Egypt we will be going further afield next year to the Caribbean..... Suffice to say as in the title the Grand Makadi is an old lady now compared to the other newer hotels, also do not book too early we could have waited and saved £500 on our holiday with RedSeaHolidays.. Any questions don’t hesitate to message me... Merry Xmas..

4 Thank GreeceLover1963
Siva Grand Beach Hotel
Siva Grand Beach Hotel
#51 of 205 in Hurghada
4.0 of 5 stars 1,309 reviews

Been to The Grand Makadi Hotel? Share your experiences!