“BEST EVER But Shhhhhhhhhhhhh”

SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Durham
“BEST EVER But Shhhhhhhhhhhhh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2009

After another great holiday spent at the hotel arriving on Boxing day. The staff are 5 star great, especially Aswan and this all inclusive hotel is the best i have ever stayed in, ever. The new years eve bash is so over the top, with even having full cooked Ostrich birds to choose from to even all the lobster you can eat. Each year is a different theme and this year was Pirates of the Caribbean, GREAT. The staff are so nice and even remembered us from last year as i was always smiling they said, hope thats why. lol. The beach is great with great reefs to snorkel on and its a shame this hotel is so good as we never want to go anywhere else for our winter holiday as it will never be beaten.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank DurhamVoyager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,133)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Newcastle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

I was not originally meant to be staying in this hotel.

My boyfriend and had I booked a cruise and stay in Nov 2007 through Thomas Cook to stay at the Makadi Palace for our second week. In June '08 I received a letter saying that Thomas Cook were no longer operating with that hotel, they were changing everything about our holiday including our boat for the first week, our flight dates and times and our hotel. I was fuming and fully prepared to HATE everything about the holiday.

I was wrong - although I still do not agree with what Thomas Cook did (as they were fully aware of the contract expiration when they took my booking in the Nov) - this hotel was lovely. It was modern and pretty but with character (not too contemporary which a few of them along the sea front are - fine if thats what you want, but I didn't).

Before we even left England I emailed the manager and explained what had happened with our booking, that we had paid for a suite in our original hotel and had been told that this was not available for us at the Royal Makadi. He could not have been more helpful, offering us a lovely, spacious room with sea AND pool view, close to all the amenities (and this is a massive complex - you could end up a bout a 15min walk away). The rooms are cleaned every day and on my boyfriends birthday we came back to find a pair of towel swans and fresh flower petals strew on the bed! (He also got a cake which was brought to him in the restaurant we ate at that night and all the waiters sang Happy Birthday in Arabic)

Upon arrival at the hotel you are seated in a pretty lobby containing a fountain and a stream and given tea or juice while your information is processed. You are then escorted to your room by a friendly member of staff who carries all your luggage.

There are three pools at the Royal Makadi, we mainly used the main pool which is interestingly shaped and has an in-water pool bar (beware the local spirits - they are potent! The local beer though- "Oro" - is delicious, they also have imported spirits like Martini and Jack Daniels all of which are available to you as part of your all inclusive package). As well as the main pool there is an exercise pool with marked lanes and a family pool set in a quieter area away from the bars and restaurants which has a gradual slope and five lane waterslide!

If the pool scene is not your thing then the hotel is literally on the water front with free sun loungers, we never had a problem getting a beach lounger either whereas the pool loungers were more difficult to come by. This hotel is set on a lovely stretch of sand but if you like you can also visit the beaches belonging to the hotels either side of you we didn’t bother though as ours was nice enough. We went snorkelling in the clear blue waters which was fantastic; we saw some amazing sea life and coral.

Food wise, we found all the food in Egypt to be a bit samey and sickly and I think this is the case if you go to the main buffet, however there are three a la carte restaurants which don’t charge any extra (but you do have to book the day in advance). All the restaurants were lovely but the Dalila was our favourite (it does the best chocolate mousse I have ever tasted!) also, the staff in this restaurant were the nicest people in the whole resort, very charming and helpful.

You can book through your rep to do certain tours during your stay. We had already done most of them the previous week on our Nile cruise but if you haven’t, DEFINATELY go to Luxor, I loved it there, it is a beautiful place with so many interesting things to see and do. Or if you are on your honeymoon go to Aswan and visit the Philae temple, it is the temple of Isis the Goddess of love, its on a gorgeous island with beautiful foliage and is reached by felucca (traditional Egyptian sailboat) Whilst we were staying in Makadi we booked to go to Cairo which was a horrid, dirty, scary place but it is worth going to see the fabulous Cairo museum (I could have spent two days in there!) and of course the Pyramids and Sphinx (though personally, I found Abu Simbel on the shores of Lake Nasser more imposing and impressive).

The only bad points about the hotel were the amount of flies on a lunchtime - particularly around the food area closest to the pool. But this is a problem specific to the area rather than just this hotel. Also if you are on the beach you will be harassed to get Henna tattoos and beware the perfumery! They caught us when we were drunk and basically bullied us into buying two bottles of stuff we will never use. These aren't sunrise employees though; they just have their shops on the site. Lastly, the hotel is frequented by German and Russian tourists, now I'm quite liberal minded and I never believe in stereotypes but my goodness did these people live up to theirs - rude, loud, no concept of queuing and major over use of speedos :-)

I rarely return to the same place as there is so much of the world I want to see, but if I were to return to Makadi Bay I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Liked — Its beachfrot location, friendly staff an fabulous pools
  • Disliked — flies and other rude guests
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Merrily_333
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2009

Couldn't ask for more great hotel,great staff ,great snorkeling and lovely weather. Would advise booking the a la carte restaurants you won't be disappointed buffet OK but it's nice to be waited on. For drinks don't forget to ask for premium brands otherwise you'll only get the local spirit. Private airport transfers organised through gotohurghada@yahoo.com and can thoroughly recommend only cost £35+tip for both journeys for all of us, 4 adults and a baby, compared with £80 that Thomas Cook wanted to charge and no hassle. They were there to meet us, great communication and efficient. All in all a good time was had by everyone.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Qdecker
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2009

Stayed for two weeks - yes Hotel complex is large but it is eay to find your way around.Hotel and grounds are spotless and the staff are extremly friendly and efficient - a little tipping goes a long way! - did not enjoy the busy main restaurant too much but all of the a la catre's were excellent for both staff and quality of food - booking system is a bit of a pain but the restaurants are worth it. An excellent experience from start to finish

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank RFOD
Oldham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2008

I went to SRMR on 14th November for 2 weeks. It was fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed the holiday and would definitely go back again. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful - not overly so though - some of the reviews mention staff being untoward with people but I did not observe anything like this.

If you want to book to go the the A la carte restaurants people do start queueing at around 9:45! You need to book a day in advance. I went to the Mediterranean twice, the Italian and the Bedouin Tent twice - fabulous atmosphere!

I went on the 2 day Luxor Trip with the Hot Air balloon and it was absolutely fabulous. I would definitely recommend it. The tour guide Rabie (Yella Yella!) was so interesting and knowledgeable. The people we met on the trip were such a good laugh and made it all the more enjoyable.

The staff are very accomodating and will try and help you as much as they can. The russian tourists were fairly rude. I did speak to a fair few hoiday makers whilst there and it was a great atmosphere. If you are looking for a relaxing getaway then look no further. The food in the main restaurant was ok. The pasta station was good and the omlettes in the morning were good.

The hotel is very clean and the grounds are well maintained. A little tip does go a very long way. Ramadan was great in the lobby bar - say hi from Cheryl & Kev - he really looked after us.

We got some T shirts from the shop in the hotel with our names in Arabic on the back (you can barter) - a great souvenir of our time there. I would not class it as a 5* hotel but it is the best all inclusive hotel I have been to where staff will serve you drinks. It can be difficult to get sunbeds on the beach but I preferred to be by the pool.

The snorkelling is absolutely amazing. Some friends of our got their snorkels and masks cheaper than we did from the shop near the Aqua Centre - 195 egyptian pounds for both. We paid 300 from the shop near the lobby bar! There are a few people who will come and try to sell you things whilst you are sunbathing but a polite no and they will be on their way. If you want to ask me any questions please feel free......

• Liked — The fabulous snorkelling location and staff. Mohammed rep is always about as well.
  • Disliked — Entertainment at night was a bit samey but didn't make any difference to our holiday.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ChezzerP
Devon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2008

This was just about the biggest hotel complex I have ever seen. It goes on for acres and it is easy to get lost in the endless blocks of apartments. We were ferried there by coach from Luxor in a convoy of 100 vehicles under armed guard. This took about 5 hours which is not to be recommended as it is a large chunk out of your holiday. Fly direct to Hurghada if poss.
We were transferred to this hotel at the last minute and it was the opposite of what we had asked for as it was our honeymoon.

The plusses were:
good quality rooms
thecomplex was kept incredibly clean
very friendly staff
excellent food
excellent service from restaurant staff
good for people with kids
tipping is not encouraged which makes life easier

the minuses were:
Huge and impersonal complex
constant harrassment from trip/activity sellers when you sit by the pool
English are a minority, Russians are the majority
A la carte restaurant is a bit like a huge canteen
The few beach umberellas get "reserved" very early
you have to make reservations for the proper restaurants a day in advance
There is nothing except the complex in this area, going outside is not encouraged
you could be in absolutely any country in the world as it is so isolated
the pool side entertainments are annoying and play music all day
there is a butlins type feel to it
a huge shock to the system if you have just done a cruise or something else on a smaller more personal scale

• Liked — clean, new, spacious
  • Disliked — noisey and too many rooms
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank gillywiggs
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2008

I have just returned from a week's stay at Royal Makadi with my friend and I already wish I was back there. The hotel its self was immaculate. The public areas were always spotless and the rooms were well fitted and comfortable. We even had a walk in shower with a seat in which was greta for washing away the sand at the end of the day!

In terms of food, the a la carte restaurants were great especially the Asia however it was a bit manic actually trying to book them. You need to head to mediterenean restaurant between 10am and 11am to book for the next day however people were queuing as early as 9.30. You are given a ticket with a number and then have to wait to be called to see if there is any room left. My advice would be to queue a little bit earlier but not to have a set plan for which restaurant you eat at at which night. Go with an open mind and you won't be disappointed. They have just opened a new restaurant called Oasis Bedoiun Tent. It is a tent in the desert which may not sound great but believe me the atmosphere is great. You sit on little cushions to eat, the waiters are in authentic dress and you can even have a puff on a shisha pipe. A great evening....look out for mustapha and emad, they were our great waiters and made sure we had a great night.

The buffet was a little less impressive, however, my friend is veggie so there were only a few option for her and I am a fairly picky eater which probably limited me some. The pasta station was good but a little repetitive and I would avoid the salad if possible as this has been washed in normal tap water.

The resort itself is about 30 mins outside of Hurghada and is limited in what is around it if you are the kind of holidaymakers who like to experience local culture. There is a shuttle bus into Hurghada every morning and evening and would recommend Hurghada marina as a great place for meal outside the hotel. Also if you walk along the beach in the resort you are able to move between the hotel nearby some of which have shops....be warned though, you have to haggle for everything and will be bothered into going into shops. If you don't want to buy anything best to say "La, Shukran" or no, thank you in arabic.

All in all it was a great holiday, very relaxing and good fun. I would definitely go back again.

• Liked — Location adn Weather
  • Disliked — Harassment by shop owners
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
Iberotel Makadi Beach
#4 of 29 in Makadi Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,108 reviews
Sunrise Select Garden Beach Resort & Spa

Been to SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort? Share your experiences!