“Paradise”

SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Have stayed here many times before but never in December. We were gutted that we had only booked to stay for 1 week this time as the preparations for Xmas festivities were well underway and we really hated leaving all our friends and the lovely sunshine (34 degrees most days) to come back to a cold, dark UK winter.
We have since booked to return in October this year and have also booked to go for Xmas and new year so we can join in the fun!
I really don't know what to say about this hotel that I haven't said before but it never fails to fulfill our holiday expectations. The standards of facilities, restaurants, rooms, service, cleanliness, food and friendly, dedicated staff who treat you as one of the family are outstanding.
Roll on October !

Room Tip: Guaranteed a good nights sleep in any location as the hotel is so big
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Dikkosden

Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is one of the most enjoyable overseas hotels we have stayed in. I won't go into all the facilities the hotel has to offer as most of the other reports here cover this already, suffice to say, the hotels' key features are that it is a large complex with a wide variety of swimming pools spread around the site and seven A la Carte restaurants in addition to the main buffet and snack bar by the sports pool.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned here yet is the fab Red Flag idea (you collect a small red flag from the towel huts each day) and if you have one of these up, the staff (entertainment, massage, trip sellers etc) aren't allowed to bother/ interupt you. Your choice is well respected and I've never seen this used anywhere else.
We particularly enjoyed the Yoga & Sunset Meditation (thanks to Mamadoo) and our 5 O'Clock swim at the VIP pool (thank you Ali). At the time we visited (1st - 12th March) the hotel appeared much busier in comparision to neighbouring hotels, I would suggest that perhaps this is a reflection of guest satisfaction with the Sunrise.
The hotel motto "Welcome home" is true to The General Manager and his Management team's aim to do everything they can to make your stay as good as possible.

Go here if you like:
A wide variety of a different dinning options (A la Carte/ Buffet/ local dishes/ European tastes)
Choice of pools (Adult, Kids, Heated/ Unheated)
Options for quiet & more lively zones
Range of activities you can participate in if you choose (more unusual ones - yoga and meditation)
Non smoking restaurants (except the Beduin one - but I think they are changing this)
Kids clubs/ entertainment
Hotels that are not "fenced in" on the beachfront, so you can walk more than hotel property
Friendly and helpful staff

You might be disappointed if you expect:
West End style evening entertainment (Hotel organised typical)
Branded alcoholic drinks or extensive range (local brands served)
A hotel totally by itself (its on a bay with other hotels)
Non-moterised watersports like pedalos/ kayaks to be included (these are payable)
A British equivalent of a 5 star hotel (more like a 4*)
101% perfection (it doesn't exist!)

All in all I would definately recomend this hotel to family and friends (in fact I already have).

Thank you to Said, the General Manger, and his team for making it a wonderful holiday I will remember for all the right reasons.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank FandB_Traveller
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Returned from a 2 week holiday at this hotel on March the 5th 2013 after having a very good winter sun holiday.
Lets get the downside out of the way first. we had a room in block 10 next to the family pool, I personally would have preferred a room in say 17 block, nearer the beach which I am sure the hotel staff would have done there best to oblige if I had wished but I chilled out very quickly and the problem just faded away. Our room was spacious and comfortable, great shower and although not 5 star perfectly functional.
The young lad who looked after our room MOHAMMED was very cheerful and made sure that we wanted for nothing he was also great at towel art and gave us some good ones
We found all the restaurants very good and the waiter service definately 5 star.

The mexican was the best for breakfast, a little less chaotic than the main and Tamar made sure that the tea and coffee cups were never empty.

Lunch was usually in the main or the Le Gonda bar , I found the standard in both to be exceptional, there is definately something for everyone. Once again the waiter service was very efficient.

We used the a la carte option for evening meals and tried most of the options however our favourites were the Italian and the asian. Remember that the steaks are not quite as we would expect however they were very tasty and cooked to perfection.

The animation team worked very hard all day long to ensure people were enjoying there holiday without being too invasive and some of their shows in the evening were hilarious thanks to Boca, Erika, Bob and John to name but a few.

I found the snorkelling to be better than Sharm and spent a good few hours being totally amazed by nature.

After spending most days by the adults only pool, looked after by Ali the pool guy and Saleh the barman who made our holiday, we would have a sundowner or two at the la gonda bar, the waiters and bar staff looked after us amazingly well and also dealt with que jumpers (our russian friends) admirably ie no que no drink, the message did get through. well done.
In the evening we would have cocktails or coffee in the lobby bar the staff here were amazing they were almost telepathic, very efficient and nothing seemed like too much trouble, considering the daily hours these guys work, still to be smiling after midnight takes some doing, many thanks to Hussan and his team.

Took a couple of trips with Thomas Cook and thoroughly enjoyed them. Submarine trip from Hurghada allowed my wife to experience what I was able to see while snorkelling.
The desert trip to see the Bedouin was very interesting and you need to be reasonably fit to make the most of it.

Found the dress code here to be more smart but casual and take something warm for the evening.

Must mention the beautiful gardens, there are teams of gardeners maintaining the grounds, this cannot be an easy task but they have achieved a very beautiful garden all over the resort.

Finally I have no doubts in recommending this hotel to anyone and I hope that I will return.

Best wishes to the management team of the Royal Makadi as without their professionalism and dedication this resort would not have the success it has today.

Room Tip: I would prefer blocks 17 or 18 as they are nearer the beach and have nicer balconies to sit out on.I...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank James P
Reviewed March 18, 2013

4 of us stayed at SRMB 1st March - 15th March. (age range 21-36)
Great facilities and professional / friendly staff.
Weather ranged between 28 - 36 on the days, with only one over cast day and nights would drop to late teens early 20's. Even though that is warm if in England we still needed a cardi on some nights. Towards end of stay it was heating up in the evenings so didnt require anything warm.

Travel
Flight - just over 5 hours, flew with TC. Paid for extra leg room on both flights (well worth it).
Transfers - 40 minutes. Everybody on the coach was for SRMB - so no messing about dropping everybody else off first :)

Check In - taken to the conference room, given useful information whilst they do a quick check in for everybody. No hassles, very laid back.

Room - stayed in block 26 room 103. For us its a fantastic location. Close to all the complex had to offer but far enough away for it to be quiet. The other two in our group was in block 10 - room 223. (this was because we did two seperate bookings with TC) Im sure if we requested we could of got rooms next to each other.
In both rooms the sun stayed on the balcony for most of the day. In block 10 its directly next to family / swim up / slide pool.
Rooms have plenty of storage, shower room is large. You can pick smoking or non smoking rooms. There was plenty of english movies being shown on the TV (its nice to relax in your room late afternoon / evening whilst getting ready for the evening/night).

Resort
I found that not once did I get bored or restless (even though its mainly a resort / complex based holiday destination). I found that there are always activities on the go & that includes age / nationality appropriate, the animation team are friendly but not over the top with trying to get you to join in. SOME examples of activities available - zumba/latin dancing/bingo/kareoke/french bowls/aqua - step aerobics/belly dancing/arabic language/darts/archery/volley ball (there are so many to mention I cant remember them all)
There is a gym, not air conditioned BUT each machine has its own fan built in and the windows are open. Its very good modern machinary and we found it wasnt over crowded and it was very clean (bottled water, towels and flannels all available in the gym). You can plug your iphone / ipads / ipods into the machines too.
The resort is on the beach, we never found a problem getting beds either on the beach or around any of the many pools.
Towels are provided for everything, so you really dont need to bring any. In the rooms they are changed as often as you require them, towels for outside are provided by swapping a card with the towel centers (around pool areas) and the gym has its own towels.

Facilities (as I can remember)
Reception - 24/7 - friendly professional staff, only too happy to help
Security - on lobby. Friendly / professional
Bars - several, different times of openings for each (provided in a welcome pack)
Gym - open 7am - 8pm, staffed, clean and good equiptment
Beach - beds, windblockers and wooden parasols in place and easily available. Plenty of shade if wanted. Can walk either left or right on the beach going through other hotels.
Shops - eager sellers, most items can be bought at the airport at a fraction of the price. New shop just opened by the beach - aqua foot spa ( small fish eating dead skin)
Spa - 3 of us had a massage - ensure you tell them prior if you want a deep massage or more relaxed massage. I didnt and before I knew it my arms were being pulled every which way and having my back cracked !!!! My back was painful for days after
Disco - open air & enclosed nightclub.
Toilets - Plenty in all areas.
Internet - small area with computers, plus wifi around hotel - cost incurred for this. (please dont make the mistake I did and use own internet, it costs a fortune). You go to desk next to reception and your given a scratch card, enter details on to your devise and your good to go. I paid £27 for 6 days, because offer on of by 3 days get 3 free.
Cash Withdrawal / Exchange - There is a bank machine in the lobby, its fantastic. Even if you just want to know the exchange rate. The exchange rate goes up and down daily BUT its still better there than it is in England.
Swim up bars - there are two. Both in "heated pools"....... warm enough to swim in but not as warm as they could be.
Ice Cream - available as part of all inclusive by outside bar.
Taxi / Bus - available to book in the lobby
Trips - available to book in the lobby
Room Service - At extra cost
Mini Bar - (well fridge in room) filled with water daily and fizzy pop weekly (as part of inclusive stay)
Kids Club - not used but appeared very good. English kids club run by TC. They have a large play area and paddling pool plus large inside area for kids club. They are seperated into nationalities.
Arcade - I say arcade loosely, they had some games (chargeable) outside - air hockey, shoot em game, driver game and TV screen.
Sports - they were playing some sports on tv screens in victoria pub on site and some games shown on room TV's.
Books - if you forget to bring any they do have spare books left by past guests. They are found on changing cabinet's which are close to most towel huts. Be warned not many books available.
Medical Center - Available at charge and on site

So many options as part of the inclusive.
7 a la carte - we used 6 of them (didnt do greek as mainly fish), book a la carte by screens in reception, can book up to 3 nights in advance. 6.30pm and 8pm sitings. We mainly booked 8pm because on the 6.30pm sittings we found the staff appeared rushed and chaotic. Food good in the a la carte's. Great for using instead of main resturant as this can get very busy and very hustle and bustle. Food also available in snack bars - Pizza, chips, burgers, hot dogs and salad (12 noon until 5pm)
Getting a table in the main resturant is on par with a milatary operation !!! Also gets annoying very quickly when your patiently waiting for your turn and people just breeze right in front on you & decide its their turn. Thankfully because of all the other options open to you, you dont have to go into the main resturant too many times. Its the only place we found serve very slow (in terms of drinks - but this I assume is due to sheer volume)

Trips
Luxor - we booked with TC whilst we were there. We got a 10% discount - brochure price £77, we got it for £70 each. We got picked up at 5am (yawn). Full trip took 17 1/2 hours BUT lots was fitted in, including a boat trip down the nile for an extra £4. Some people had the right idea and took the hotel pillow with them, they soon got their head down. Some things to be mindful of, when in Luxor and going to the attractions (valley of kings etc) you will be hounded, this didnt bother us, as if you either ignored them or firm no they would stop). Be aware that even "workers" who are in the attractions - such as Valley of Kings will want paying if they manage to catch your eye and start providing information about the attraction.
Lunch is buffet style in Luxor in a Sunrise chain. Drinks are NOT included. The price does include your entry into all the attractions.

Quad Biking - again booked with TC - £27 quads are in good condition and provided by Oasis Safari.
You get picked up at 7.30am from hotel and taken to a section of desert. You get spilt into nationalities. On the day its an idea to be mindful what you will wear, people did do it in flip flops and shorts and had no problems. We bought the scarf from TC for £2.50 each and then on the day it was fitted for us. The people that run the day (half day) are very safety aware and they wont allow you to ride if you cant control the quad. You will do practice runs before going out in groups. A short camel ride is also in on the cost. If you do go on this trip it may be an idea to take some sweets with you (as you stop in a "village" - not really a village but some huts / shops where you have a break / brew - sweet loose tea. They have small children with them who seem versed on "guests" and sweets hehe)
You will need sunglasses, scarf (for head) and water.

These are the only two trips we went on, but there are loads to choose from, including boat trips, cairo, subadiving, submarines, shop & rock (going into Hugahara and eating in the Hard rock Cafe) etc.......

I would recommend this hotel, its good for all types, ages and age ranges.
They are always improving the hotel and the two weeks we were they they completed a large section of block 10 (soft refurbishment) but without any disruptions to guests.

Room Tip: All rooms are in a good location. But if you want a pool on your door step block 10 is in a good pos...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
14  Thank Holidayprincess28
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Well what can i say had a great time,very friendly place. hotel was good clean and loads to do.
the only bad point was the sevice was slow in resturants. but your on hols whats the rush just lay back and relax. alot of people moaning but if you tell the management they will sort things out straight away. in fact they bend over backwards to make sure your happy. THE BEST GYM I HAVE EVER SEEN AT A HOTEL . Would i go back ??? YES !!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are good but try block 19
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SLCHEALTH
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We had a fortnight at this hotel in February this year and had a very enjoyable holiday. On arrival we thought how very big the complex was, but after a couple of days soon got used to it. In our opinion the great advantage is the number of a la carte restaurants on offer, Asian, Italian, Greek, Mediteranian, T-Bone, Mexican and Bedouin. which can be visited as many times as you wish during your stay, the Asian, Italian and Bedouin have great atmosphere. All the staff were very friendly and attentive, always enquiring if we were enjoying our stay and if there was anything else they could do to help. I would mention the animation team, Bob and Marley, and the waiters in the lobby bars. The whole hotel was kept scrupulously clean at all times including our room which was 27203. The beach area was really good as with having half-moon wind shields around the sun-beds we always felt we had our own private space. The sea is easy to access too not too deep and very sandy. Our package holiday was with Thomas Cook who had the Sunrise Royal as 5*, although we would definitely recommend this hotel think it is more 4*+ as there are areas which are in near of some refurbishment..

Room Tip: Rooms in blocks 14, 15, and 16 are nearest to all the amenities.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank elmont66
Reviewed March 17, 2013

great hotel, good food both in the buffet bar,out Favorite restaurant was the steak house, but to be fair there wasn't a lot between them, we enjoyed the Bedouin restaurant and had a pleasant surprise with bread and butter pudding for sweet. breakfast was in the Mexican restaurant which was less crowded than the main buffet bar. the evening entertainment was good but seemed to be over too soon.. special thanks to the animation team who would invite you to take part in the activities but would take no for an answer and not be too pushy. a special thanks to Midoo, Marley, Kastella and Boca. for their pleasant conversation.we found the small heated family pool was very chilled helped by Saleh on the Bar and Hassan on the towels.snorkeling is excellent just of the beach.

and now the bad news- beware of the shops in the hotel you are literally guaranteed to get it cheaper anywhere else, and you don't have to go far take a walk along the sea front and then follow the signs that take you to a shopping centre ans spa.
the spa in the hotel is expensive and the spa staff don't understand "not interested" and after they have trying to push their massages on you and you still say no get shirty, of maybe they were just having a bad day, but i was have a good day until they interrupted mine. Hugada the hassle from the traders is even worse than spain and turkey at their worse. there is a supermarket between Hugada and the hotel you pass it on the way from the airport there the prices and fixed and you don't have to haggle.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 30 in Makadi Bay
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh
#2 of 222 in Hurghada

Been to SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort? Share your experiences!