“Good hospitality”

SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

It's a place you love to come it twice as a single or couples even a group or families The pool party and the animation team not bad the service perfect no way of careless just they love their work thanks for the good time

• Stayed: August 2012
6  Thank Ezzismail
Write a ReviewReviews (7,576)

Reviewed September 6, 2012

i stayed for 4 days in Sunrise Royal makadi , beautiful hotel with many amenities for entertainment , large swimming pools , slides , wonderful animation team , friendly stuff , average food quality , good and wide variety of food ,all inclusive formula is average , no access to the a la carte restaurant
swimming pool and beach were very good , but problem with the towels , only one towel per day you must take your towel with you everywhere until you finish your fun day
rooms are average , clean and tidy but needs some maintenance , furniture is old and used , bathroom is clean and large
after all it was a good hotel to stay

Room Tip: the building 17 is very good do not stay in the back buildings it is very far from sea and restaur...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Boto81
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Excelent holiday in Sunrise! Hotel far from the city mess, in fantastic Makadi bay... Stuff is the best i have ever met - kind, polite, always smiling, always ready to help you in anything. Big Thanks to them! Food fantastic, my compliments to kitchen chief! Rooms big and clean. Theritory big and nice. A disco, SPA center, night programs in the hotel - what else do u need for the best vacation? If i would go back to Egypt, i would go to Sunrise Royal!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jurgita A
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We have just returned from a fantastic 2 week holiday at the sunrise and loved it. We were welcomed on arrival with cool drink and asked to sit in the comfortable lobby area while the staff checked us in rather than queuing at reception for ages as we have had at other hotels. Our luggage was transported to our rooms almost immediately. We did have to leave our luggage just outside the main reception but as there are two security guards and many porters around we felt they were safe! There was a mix up with our room but the reception staff were very helpful and sorted it out straight away.

We found the food to be excellent as we had the ultra all inclusive package so were able to eat in the a la carte restaurants all the time - the Bedhouin and the asian were our favourites. Food hygeine seemed to be excellent and I witnissed the chefs changing their gloves after handelling raw meat etc.

Quick tip to avoid a funny tummy - make sure you drink loads of bottled water, alcohol and heat don't mix and don't keep the air con at a very low temp as the sudden change in temp can lower your immune system so we keep ours at 23/24 degrees and are fine. If you do get a funny tummy the pharmacy at the beach is fantastic and one tablet sorts it out straight away. We didn't meet anyone who had had food poisoning or anything.

I have read other reviews that say it doesn't feel like a 5 star hotel, all I can say is that it's a good 5 star for egypt and we found the room, pools and grounds to be clean, well kept and the service was absolutely fantastic. The waiting staff will give fantastic service to you whether you tip or not, but a dollar here and there goes a long way! We made friends with afew of the waiting staff and the towel man at the family pool 2 and it certainly didn't feel like they expected a tip but were more than happy when we did. There are areas of the grounds and hotel that could do with a bit of updating but nothing major!

The kids club was fantastic and our children (7 and 4) loved all the activities, especially choc attack!

There was nightly entertainment, some better than others but the beach and pool parties were good.

You do have to haggle for prices in the shops but this is like a national sport so if you don't like to haggle, don't go to Egypt!!!

I would definately recommend this resort to families and couple alike and we have already booked our return visit for next year!

Room Tip: Family rooms are a bit more expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank Liz G
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This was a much needed trip after a stressful few months of moving house and hospital trips, we planned relaxation and that is exactly what we got. 9am Flight from Gatwick was un-eventful - boring due to no in flight entertainment but thankfully had I-pod and magazines to keep me out of mischief! The food on the flight was lovely a James Martin Breakfast comprising of a Cumberland sausage, bacon egg, tomatoes. We had orange juice coffee and a banana (Yuk) muffin to go with it, passed a little time, having booked with Direct Holidays we received a drinks voucher so got 2 mini bottles of wine ......not drank with breaki it was too early!

Arrival at Hurgurda was lovely the warmth coming into the plane was a welcome change to the horrible weather of the UK, we joined the queues to pay our Visa entry this can be paid in £ $ Euro or Egyptian £, we chose sterling and were charged £13 each. Had no hassle with people offering to take our luggage for us and quickly found our coach, one aspect I didn't like was the guy loading our luggage onto the coach holding his hands out for a tip when he was given £1 by my husband he replied £2 as we had 2 cases ......we did not have the option to put our own cases on the bus so this bloke is onto a winner £1 per case x 52ish passengers per coach, how many coaches does he load a day - I might change my job it’s obviously a good crack!

Journey to hotel was short with Mohammed our rep giving us a bit of info on route - we were in Ramadan when we arrived the staff fasting from dawn till dusk how the hell they manage without even a sip of water in that heat is beyond me! We filled in arrival forms and handed over passports on the coach to save time once we arrived at the hotel. Check in didn't take long and we were given our all inclusive tags and shown to our room top floor of block 10 near the family pool 1, bags arrived shortly after - we tipped both as we wanted to for a good service.

1st night we ate in the buffet restaurant which was slightly manic and I was not impressed by some of the guests getting huge plates of cakes and fruits before choosing their main meals - lots of wastage went on which I don't like - eat your main then decide if you have room for pud, food is plentiful it’s not like they were going to run out! Drinks were either waiter service or you could go and get your own (always look down as the ankle biters tend to run around zipping in front of you) Tables were at a premium in there too although we managed to find a table on the 3 occasions we ate in there. On the 3rd and final time we ate there we were late into the restaurant @ 9pm and it was now Eid meaning a lot of locals had arrived and the place did look like it had been stripped of many dishes so there was little choice left but we managed to find something to eat.

During our stay we used 3 of the 7 A la cartes, T bones Steak house x 4 visits Mexican restaurant x 3 & the Italian x3.

T-bones was in our opinion the nicest and the staff were wonderful in their remembering how many visits we had and what we wanted to drink etc, Isalim and Aboel ( sorry if I have spelt your names wrong) were wonderful very attentive & our drinks were replenished as we were taking the last sip of the old one! Basket of bread on the table was a lovely accompiment to the "exciting" soup which arrived hot and tasty, I had number 6 fillet steak well done which was wonderful not a bit of gristle or fat found in any of the 4 I ate and my husband only once changed from the fillet to a beef "snitchnel" which he said was equally tasty, the 1st visit I had a strawberry and white chocolate mousse which was nice but a little cold in the middle, but then we sampled the rice pudding .....HEAVEN it was like momma used to make and we both enjoyed every mouthful.

The Mexican was lovely we ate breakfast here every day as well as it was calmer than the main buffet & the food selections were just the same, The Mexican menu was very nice, bowl of tortilla chips on the table with a salsa and sour cream dip, the chilli con carne starter was wonderful & I could have had a big bowl of that as a main but it wasn't on the menu (I am sure they wouldn't have said no had I asked!) I had the grilled chicken sandwich for my main well cooked served with chips always went down well, my husband had the fajitas beef once & chicken twice - served with peppers a huge jalapeño ( which he ate) and soft flour tortillas - he said both were nice but preferred the chicken. Dessert was ice cream which was very very nice & creamy. Staff in the Mexican were lovely and attentive there was one lady working in there all the time but in the middle of our 2nd week she vanished hopefully she was just having a break and not left as it was rare to see a female working anywhere in the hotel.

The Italian restaurant was good a little warm as it was inside and the air con didn't seem the best but the pizzas were lovely and there was quite an extensive menu, staff again very polite and attentive.

The hotel run a "box" tipping system in the restaurants and bars which we liked as we were served by many people while in them so by putting your tip in the boxes hopefully there are shared out between all the staff.

We spent our 1st two days around the family pool number 1 as it was close to our rooms, they have a pool bar here but it was more of a get out of pool & get drinks rather than a swim up bar although occasionally someone would come and serve you if you sat on one of the pool chairs. Safwat the towel guy was great looking after us and having a little chat, seems a few foreign guests were complaining about him being a bit miserable but he is only doing his job and in that heat while fasting would you be happy and smiling all the time!! Also I noticed a lot of the foreign guests never say please or thank you - that would P me off manners cost nothing no matter what nationality you are! From the third day we went to the main pool where we met Mourssy the towel guy – what a gent a lovely young man who was chatty smiling and happy every day we saw him, he even took to bring our towels to us and setting up our sun beds when we arrived each day, he worked with Abdel Azim who cleaned the pool he was always laughing joking with the guests although he was always busy cleaning etc. We struck up quite a friendship with Mourssy and were sad to say goodbye – but thanks for looking after us. Finding sun beds was never an issue even when he had a late morning arriving at the pool @ 11am – didn’t like that fact that 8 sun beds next to us were reserved daily and the families didn’t use them till after 3pm each day – that’s just mean! The main pool has a swim up bar which was nice and the bar man Mohammed was really good at re-filling your drinks – as an English couple though we were often in a minority when visiting this bar as some of the foreign guests seems to prop it up all day!

Around the main pool there was lots going on the Animation team worked hard to get people involved but if you didn’t want to join it wasn’t an issue, Becky, Natalie, Andrew, Middo and the gang worked hard day & night to keep us entertained/amused and do a good job, 6* and a wage rise for the Animators please Mr hotel boss! Becky says she isn’t a dancer but we were very impressed with her efforts – keep up the good work chick and stop injuring your feet – the doctor seems to like them!!!. Natalie from Austria was lovely so sweet, she has only done the job for a short time and will be moving on shortly to eventually attend university- I hope she remembers her days as animation fondly and know if she can survive the demands of that she will achieve anything she sets her heart on. Andrew always made me smile with his Waterrrrrrrrrrrrrr vollllllllleeeeeyballllllllllll (for those of us of a certain age think captain caveman) call morning and afternoon – he always complained the pool was cold!

Sales people also came to see you occasionally around the pool selling trips diving spa treatments but a simple no thank you saw them move on – the hotel does offer a red flag system meaning “do not disturb” but we found that a little rude as we did have a bit of banter with these guys teasing my husband the white man – we never felt pressure to book anything with them.

Talking of trips many were available through Thomas cook but due to restrictions through injury we did not book any – it was 39+ every day so actually I wasn’t bothered about trips as it would have meant leaving the safety net of the pool where I could cool down at will. Did hear some good comments from other guests who did venture out though, although they all said the shops and vendors were a little annoying at how persistent they were trying to get you to buy things.

Evening entertainment was again mainly done by the Animation team from Miss Sunrise shows to dance and comedy nights the shows passed a bit of time from 9.30 onwards. One a Wednesday night they hold a pool party with everyone jumping in the pool around 11pm – didn’t join in this as we were wiped out from the heat. Sunday night sees the beach party the 1st Sunday we stayed for a little while but the 2nd we stayed almost till the end ....yes I suffered the next morning from too much drink but hey we were on holiday! We preferred the lobby bar on an evening as it was air conditioned so nice and cool and the team in there were attentive and knew what drinks we wanted ...although mine often changed! The cocktails depended on who mixed them strength wise but were quite nice – they didn’t have anything like Malibu or baileys though which would have been a nice as they are my fave tipples – made do with cocktails and vodka so wasn’t left out lol.

The resort itself is massive spotless despite us rarely seeing a cleaner, we never met our room cleaner but know he was around as we had fresh bathroom towels each day – only towel art on our final night though! Rooms are big with plenty of storage, beds were comfortable air con was a welcome break from the heat and that bathroom was clean and provided everything we needed – the hot water was a bit temperamental but we didn’t care it was nice to have a cool shower after a day in the sunshine. Not keen on the watering of the gardens though – you try not to get a whiff but never seem to manage it – Environmental water was used .........hhhmmmm it was stinky! Hotel directory says they spray this @ sunrise/sunset but we seemed to see them spraying always --- we didn’t walk on the grass!
There are quite a number of shops near reception selling various items – we ventured down one evening only to leave around 30 seconds later as couldn’t stand the it, shop keepers yelling come into my shop, let me tell you about my perfume etc – I prefer to browse then ask prices etc I never even made it near a shop doorway as I felt too intimidated by them, speaking to others I know they felt the same way – it’s probably not their culture but if they backed off a little they might find they had more sales!

Return trip to airport makes you realise you really are in the middle of nowhere, it appears that Hurgurda is having a huge building programme with many construction sites en-route to the airport –but these many have been like this for years! Hurgurda Airport itself is a military airport although I saw little evidence of this while we were there, you have to scan your suitcase and hand luggage on entry to the airport, then check your cases in – then go through another hand luggage check point. Lots of things on sale in the airport but never sure what is fake and what’s not so we didn’t buy anything. Flight home again uneventful, no in-flight entertainment – food good choice of James martin beef casserole or Roast chicken, along with bread roll, orange marmalade dessert, cheese and biscuits mini chocolate and choice of tea or coffee.

Had to laugh once at Gatwick Airport about to go through the green channel two doorways one marked non EU one marked EU – I said oh which do we use only to be told sternly if you’re from Egypt its obviously not the EU ....we went through the none EU one which took us into he same are the EU door took us, so why bother with 2 doors!

I would go to Egypt again and would go back to the Sunrise Royal although probably won’t do for sometime as there are many other destinations we want to visit. Feel free to ask me any questions & I will answer as honestly as I can.

Room Tip: I emailed the hotel 2 weeks before asking for quiet top floor room, we were put in block 10 and rare...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank cheekyfairy
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I must say i was dissapointed with the hotel with this being my 3rd trip to Egypt.
Points to note - in the Uk we tip for good service, here you have to tip to get good service from the majority of staff. The main restaurant was a bun fight with the Russian hoards.(No manners at all) however we visited 6 of the themed resaurants and these were very good but you do need to book using the dodgy touch screens in the main lobby. Use the Mexican restaurant for breakfast and the mediteranian for lunch. Swimming pools are not the cleanest and general house keeping of the Hotel and grounds was certainly not 5 star quality. Swimming pool bars are not the best as is the service again unless you give the bar staff a good tip to keep them interested. The beach is great although the best snorkling is the Fort Arabesque beach area on the left hand side of the beach. As with all Hotels in this area evening entertainment is next to zero. Lobby bar was by far the best as the drinks were cold and you do not get a plastic glass that looked dirty although the seating is looking tired and worn. Ask for international spirits as the local ones are like petrol. We had no stomach bugs during our stay here and food prep seemed to by very good. A word of warning though is the check out. i was extremely dissapointed with Thomas Cook for not pre booking late check out for us as our bus to the airport was not until 6-15pm and check out was 12-00 mid day. I managed to get, with no help from T Cook a late check out until 3 and then a shower room at 5. it would have been worth paying more to get this extra service and checking out at say 5-30.. All in all not a bad 4 star hotel but the 5 star rating can only be as it has a childrens club. I will not be going again as they did not go the extra mile and this i was expecting with the 5 star rating.

Room Tip: We were given a twin room instead of a double but this seems to be a problem with the initial bookin...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank John B
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We visited Sunrise Select Royal Makadi Resort recently .
Upon arrival we were greeted outside the hotel door and made to leave our cases unattended and ask to hand over our passports on the front porch of the hotel , to a gentleman who i at the time presumed was the Thomas Cook rep, as he didn't introduce himself, just asked for our passports !

We were guided into the hotel reception areas and was kindly offered a drink which we took, we followed the crowd to a seating area, where we waited, at no time were we informed what was happening or how long before we were booked in or given our rooms !
There we stood unaware what was happening, then members of staff appeared and started handing our wrist bands. After another wait we were guided to our rooms and our luggage was to follow to our room 10 minutes later.

I feel a lot more communication and actually informing us what was happening was needed and we didn't feel safe leaving our cases unattended outside and handing our passport over to a guy on the doorstep of the hotel !

During our stay our whole family were troubled with upset stomachs and diarrhoea . We were very careful not to eat there fruit, drink there water or have ice in our drinks, we constantly used hand sanitiser.

I feel that this could of been avoided if there were better food hygiene practices in place. On numerous occasion did we see staff handling raw food with latex gloves on, then proceed too serve cooked food, handling plates, or preparing other cooked food. Therefore cross contamination occurring. This was in the main buffet and within the snack bar food area around Family Pool
We witnessed Raw food being left un refrigerated in the warm before being cooked.
On 2 occasion were we served Burgers that were Raw in the middle, and found food to be luke warm.

I also saw one member of cleaning staff who i may add, his work clothes were filthy , come out of the kitchen with a mop that was filthy black and dripping , and proceed to push it into a pizza oven to i presume clean it, but find it wholly disgusting to see a mop being used that surely should of been in a cleaner state.

Selection of food for Children, in a family hotel of that size was poor approximately 6/7 serving trays in the family/children seating area, which half of the time were empty due to the number of children !

Also during breakfast the cross contamination from Raw egg was phenomenal , staff were mixing eggs for omelettes , then with raw egg dripping off there gloves/hand proceeded to use a fork to scoop up filings to be put in with an omelettes and the raw eggs was dripping into the bowls of onion, peppers etc etc, or one member of staff was cooking omelette and pancakes at the same station, and with raw egg still on his gloves, would go to the pancake station to cook fresh pancakes !
No wonder people were poorly !

During our 7 day stay we never saw 1 member of cooking staff/bar staff wash there hands or use hand sanitiser provided at every restaurant .

We spoke to numerous families who had to have a visit from the doctor for Injections, we were fortunate not to need this.

Our room was an Ok standard, but i feel mould in the grout on the Shower tiles, and dirty grout around the floor edge unacceptable in a 5 star Hotel, the rooms were tidied daily , but feel they were not CLEANED, the floor seemed grubby and on inspection of the cleaners trollies and i passed them several times, at no time did i see any Bleach, anti bacterial or disinfectant.

We stayed around 1 swimming pool , Known as Family Pool 2 , above the water line around the Pool bar was a dirty scum water tide water, the grouting around the whole pool was black in a lot of areas.
Again, not acceptable in a 5 star hotel !

A la Carte Restaraunts were nice, but on many occasions , the service was very slow, in the mexican we had only had our starter after an hour !
The buffet was mad as lunch and the evening

Around the world resteraunt was the best for breakfast, as nice and quiet.
The

Overall we were very dissatisfied with this hotel, we booked on recommendation and will not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
#2 of 30 in Makadi Bay
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh
#1 of 222 in Hurghada

Been to SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort? Share your experiences!