“Thomas cook should be ashamed!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Serenity Fun City Resort

Serenity Fun City Resort
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Woking, United Kingdom
“Thomas cook should be ashamed!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Fun city.... It's in the name of the hotel! NO FUN!!!

I'll start by sayin that this was the worst holiday I have ever had, Thomas cook should be thoroughly ashamed and embarrassed by their " new addition". Management need a wake up call and should step out from behind their desk!

The current unrest in Egpy was of great concern to myself and to other families traveling there, but Thomas cook assured us that there was no problem within the hotel, or Hurghada. How wrong could they have been.

After traveling with my husband and 4 year old son we just wanted to eat dinner, have a quick look around and go to bed ready to hit the Aqua park... The room was not what we had booked and had to argue with reception to be moved, my son was not sleeping on a camp cot for the week... And I'm married, I expect to share the same bed as my husband, we ended up with 3 separate beds!
Safe in the room had been left locked by previous guest... They wanted me to wait 48 hours to get it sorted... Yet again and to Argue with them to fix it there and then...and I was right to do so, as our room was " broken into" they use a key card system and everyone seems to have access to the rooms... Our bags had been gone through, clothes.. And my sons toy story " woody " was stolen, they refused to get the police, Thomas cook then told me I needed a translator to visit the police, then another rep said they advised not visiting the police ....

We had English guests tell us within hours of being there the hotel was terrible... the rep was no help. I questioned why the water park was only open for 3 hours a day.... After all myself and other families chose this hotel because of its aqua park.... I have a 4 year old child who is powerd by the Duracell bunny... He was devastated the slides were closed... We had no wave pool.. No rapids to go on... Limited inflatables to use on the slides.... The stairs up where coverd in bird poo.. Dirty and no safe!

I had members of staff several times try and take my son by the hand and walk of with him.... I'm lucky I had one child with me...

The pools were not cleaned, they were discussing, not tested, a film sat on top of the pool, dead bugs, cups and food on the bottom of the pool.... Broken times and botched up repairs, grates broken, it was a walking disaster!

The food was poor... Under cooked or over cooked, bad choice for children, no hygiene policies for staff to follow and cups that even my 4 year old found to small... I'm 35 I don't need to drink out of a small plastic cup.. Tables not cleaned down properly, constantly taking items away whilst trying to eat... Eticit is something they need to learn....

All facilities closed down, all restaurants less one were open... And it was not big enough to accommodate all guests who were there... Some were told to eat their dinner on the grass out side!!!
By this point tensions were high, and the Thomas cook rep seemed over whelmed! He quote " thank you for seeing me as a person. Not just a Thomas cook rep" working in the hotel industry myself, you are the face of the company you work for, you ned to keep calm and collected and not let guests see your stressed!! We were spoken down to, patronised and insulted, treated like dirt and the whole experience was unpleasant. Thomas cook emergeny helpline... I phoned 4 times before someone answered... And then It was limited English!

In the end i called the British embassy... Who thank god were great! All Thomas cook guests were moved out of fun city to a near by resort... But sadly not an aqua park!! The whole purpose of booking fun city was for its aqua park! We lost 3 days due to stress and not being able to use the facilities!!

All English who moved seemed a lot happier in the new hotel, but what a way to start your Holliday! I was more shocked to find out that once in the new hotel Thomas cook still failed to tell those who were flying out to fun city that it had very limited facilities... Why??? It's bad customer service and damn right shocking! You need to tell your paying guests if their chosen hotel is no longer available, not once they sit on the coach and are given 5 minutes to make their mind up....

Kids club???? No English staff and very poor conditions!!!

Wifi was cut off... Why was this?

The hotel clearly didn't want to run any of it's facilities and provide us with the service we expected... But we're happy to take our money!!!!!

We have retuned with items missing, tainted memories, and now 2 out of 3 of us have been to visit the doctor with medical problems!!!

Would I use Tomas cook again??? No... Would I visit Egpty? No.... I like everyone else who booked with Thomas coo put our trust in such a well known comapany we paid a lot of money for a family holiday for thomas cook to lie, be deceitful and rip everyone of us off... They showed no compassion for those of us who had children and the stress it caused!
I would avoid this hotel at every cost! You'd be better off booking Skegness for a week, at least you know what your getting!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Liverpool H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Just got back from fun city, trip started out well then went down hill . After hearing they had sacked3/4 off their staff we were concerned about the rest of the holiday and we were right. They started to change the times of the water-park from 7hrs a day to 3hrs and then only one side off the rides open , the tidalwave pool stopped working altogether the crazy river became the lazy river,then they started to close the restaurants till none where open. The food for the kids was poor, none of the kids clubs opened while we were there for the ten days, the attitude off some off the staff left alot to be desired, there were not enough staff on the fairground rides so the kids had to wait while they moved from one ride to the next "oh and you have to pay for the tickets " the connecting hotel serenity beach closed two days after we arrived which meant that the beach facilities were not available. if you are a non-smoker there are no non smoking areas in the hotel. They also turned off all wi-fi. A lot of families were very upset on this holiday from hell

Room Tip: Pick somewhere else while egypt and syria are in turmoil
6 Thank Jenny M
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Rather than run this hotel in to the ground I will just give you the facts and a few tips.

Arrival…

Get the required form from reception and fill it in as you are queuing up to get your room key etc. That will save you queuing twice. They have zero concept that you have been travelling for 12 hours and just want food, drink and sleep!
1. Tip the hotel porter a couple of pounds when you tell him what room you’re in, that way the cases find their way to you quickly…
2. Tip the housekeeping teams a few pounds on arrival, then again mid-way through your stay and then again a day or so before you go. They will keep you topped up with more water, Coke and Fanta than you can cope with (oh and every morning they knock on, so if you have a problem let them know, they will sort you out).

The rooms…

They're fine, two double beds, a telly (with a wide range of English channels but not UK channels, mind you why would you want them), a fridge, a kettle and plenty of storage.
The bathroom is fine, although there was no bath and the shower isn't exactly a power shower, but it worked all right.
You get a table and chairs inside and out on the balcony… All very civilized!
DON'T use the water for anything but bathing so have a bottle of water for brushing your teeth and cleaning your toothbrush... On occasions the water has a tinge of brown to it... that ought to put you off!

Food & drinks…

Rubbish plastic cups, tiny glasses... Get that sorted hotel management it is actually an insult to people.
Their fizzy pop is awful, the beer is weak and the spirits are in need of refinement several more times…
Ask for Coke Lite, ask for Fanta they have it in bottles stashed under the counter, the bar staff may claim not to have any, ask to speak to the manager, within minutes it will magically appear.
Food... As others have said, use the buffet place for breakfast and make them cook the omelette a minute or 2 longer, same for the pancakes. Get their as early as you can, they do seem to have a cutlery shortage after 9am!
Lunch the fast food places up by the wave pool are probably the best; pizza, hot dogs, koftka and chips... Plus some weird stuff that was supposed to be desert (my advice is swerve it).
Dinner... Book in to the restaurants on site... Better than the buffet place but still not the greatest experience.
Ice cream… Again management get a grip and just serve it all day and make it available in more places than that hidey hole down by the big pool! People are on holiday, rationing to my knowledge finished in the 1950’s (also see drinks)

Sun beds...

Depends where you want to be... Big pool, get up early! Wave pool get up early (or make friends with a family who get up early)... Either ends of the water slides, easy to get a place until about 10, then they are gone. Kiddies pool, I am pretty sure that people sleep down there! Get up VERY early... Be warned though there is no breeze by the kiddie pool unlike all the other areas so...

The Pools/Slides…

Fine, nice and clean, well looked after etc. the water slides were brilliant. The ‘Life Guards’ leave a little to be desired put a green T shirt on them and they think that they are cross between The Hoff and Mugabe. Oh and beware the cotton T shirt in the pool, they don’t like it! Not sure why but they caused some angst whist I was out there!

The Fairground (Luna)…

It’s for the kids and they don’t tire of it… The ferris wheel thing only runs from 22:00… your kids can get a free ticket or 2 by going to the ‘fun show’ at 20:30… They can usually blag the odd free ride here or there… Stay away from the Music Express (adults)… You’ve ne warned ;o)!

The Daily Badger...

From day 1 to day 14 you will be mithered by people selling everything from massages to quad biking, swimming with the dolphins to glass bottom boats tours, henna tattoos to hair braids.
They do wake you they keep on at you every day, the only time that they will leave you be is when you buy from them... The massage is worth it £20 per person full top to toe... Swimming with dolphins was very good and I heard good things about glass bottom boat (sea wolf) and also the quad bikes (although you have to go on the roads, Egyptian drivers are poor at best... you've been warned). A polite no thanks will usually get shot of them, don’t try the ‘Oh I've already done it’ fib, they know whether you have or not... Engage them at your own risk!

Entertainment…

Garbage, think err Cannon & Ball (YouTube it kiddiewinks), and then you’re close... only its worse.
The bar by the outside entertainment closes at 22:00 so unless you want to hike back to the main area make sure you have your drinks in

The shops…

The ones in the hotel are thieving you know what’s and I mean all of them! Avoid the shop selling masks and toys etc. he wanted £100 for 2 masks and snorkels... I bartered hard but still paid £65 (I try to console myself that they are great quality, but...)
Expect to pay £3 for a tube of Pringle's or a bag (large) of crisps... Nothing is cheap
My advice is befriending the shop keeps up in the bazaar by the wave pool/water slides you get a better deal... DON'T let your kids go in to the shops alone, they will give them stuff but expect you to pay.
Oh and the fella selling the sand scenes in a bottle don't give him the time of day.

The Staff…

In general they are fine, let them know you’re British, they seem to react a little more positively to you then, ultimately they are getting paid next to nothing but they just want your cha ching, a couple of pounds makes no difference to you but to them! It also makes the holiday run a little better for you (yeah, yeah, you've paid enough… OK take that attitude see where it gets you)

Johnny Foreigners (sorry)…

Russians are Russians, Polish are Polish, the French are French, The Germans are Germans, and need I go on? Make some effort with them… You never know you might enjoy it!

Thomas Cook…

May as well have just not bothered, if you have booked with them don’t expect anything from the onsite rep(s), useless in fact if I were you I wouldn't book with them at all book direct save yourself some wedge (Travel Republic I am told)

In conclusion…

A solid 5.5/10, it could be so much more with a little more care and attention to detail and also if the management stopped looking at the bottom line and started to deal with the really important things this hotel could really be a op place to visit.
Service leaves a lot to be desired at this hotel, you won’t go hungry but the quality needs to be upped in the drink and beverage department but if you just take it for what it is which is a holiday park with water slides and a fair ground, then your kids will adore it and that’s all right in my book!
(Oh and the Wi-Fi… I know you’re on your holidays but the 56k dial up they have that’s just poor that… Get that sorted too)

Room Tip: Block 7 is too far with a young family to make the restaurants etc. a 'pleasant' trip... Its...
5 Thank NogbadtheNotsoGood
Brierfield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

You want the truth well here it is !!

On entering Egypt we got charged $20 however this seems to be a flexible price depending on who you go and see when you enter the airport, others paid less --- whats that all about !

Hotel is very clean and tidy,Staff are lovely and friendly cant do enough for you, the cleaner was great we left him £1 a day and got a selection of drinks and towel animals made for the kids every day. Tyson the childrens entertainer was great fun and the kids loved him ! The childrens games area indoors is varied but they do charge for the xbox kinnect at £7 for half an hour, they take euros and dollars as well they don't seem to mind what money you want to pay with. We had a massage in the Spa which was lovely (book with Hassan he's very nice) Always barter and barter some more even in the shops in the hotel.
The food in the buffet restaurant is varied, lots of choice for all nationalities, cereals, pancakes, eggs, breads of all types, hot and cold meat, you name it they have it , obviously not macdonalds or kfc so if you have fussy kids they will go hungry ! We tried the Italian -- speed eating !! couldn't get us our food fast enough and cleared away before we had the next course ! Japanese (which is all inclusive if you have the set menu but not the Teryaki bar) best vodka and coke served here, the BBQ was good - hot chicken and beef and salads etc. Remember to book at reception in the morning at 9.30 to go to these places.
Recommend the rubber diving shoes for kids so they don't slip by the pools. The slides are great open from 10am to 1pm then 3pm to 5pm in between these times the wave pool is on or you can go and get snacks and alcohol !
The fun fair is limited, you get a credit slip from the man in the kiosk and pay at reception the day after or when you leave. (like a tab)
Breakfast is 7am to 10am, Pool snacks are 11am to 2pm, Ice cream at 3pm, Dinner at 7pm till 10pm so you wont go hungry. Drinks are available all day from the machines and the bars. They serve lovely lattes in the games area bar.
Wifi you can only get in the games area and if busy its is very slow but possible with persistence !
Beach - free bus to beach but is only a 5 min walk, be aware DO NOT WALK ON THE CORAL !! if you want to snorkel go to the end of the pier and there are steps to get into the sea, if you do walk on the coral you are likely to fall as it is very slippy and get stung by something (as I and another guest did) which causes an allergic reaction, blistering on the skin and severe pain ! a trip to the doctor results in injection, creams and tablets costing £148 !!! so please be careful !

The sea is clear and the fish are fabulous, you can get sunbed on the beach for free, and food and drinks at the bar still all inclusive. There are camel rides on the beach £20.

We went on the submarine boat called Sea Wolfe in Hurghada, booked by someone on the beach, we bartered and got the child price cheaper so remember to barter ! worth a trip out !

Weather was lovely but too hot for the kids ! if you are taking children I would suggest total sunblock as my child got badly sunburnt and they are not allowed to wear t shirts in the water so would recommend the special total sunblock tee shirts/tops ! You can buy cream from the chemist in the hotel which will help !
Early to rise and full days no siestas here ! not much for adults in the evenings , you just have to make your own entertainment or meet other holiday makers and make your own fun !!

When you are leaving ask reception for someone to come and collect your luggage and they will take it to reception for you.

There is a safe in the room which is free. There is security around the hotel so we felt safe at all times.

So apart from the sting in the sea and the sunburn we all had a great time !!!

Would recommend this hotel especially with children cos the slides make it well worth the money.

Hello to everyone we met there !!! xxxxx

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the slides, we had a Family Suite so 2 rooms next to each other with own private e...
1 Thank CAZA48
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

This hotel does not cater for anyone other than Russians. The food was not good and they served the same stuff everyday (goulash) but gave it a different name.

I'm not a fussy eater, but I really struggled to find anything that tasted good. There were 2 English families there (that was it - the rest were Russian) and their children were crying as they couldn't stomach eating the food on offer. I don't blame them one bit, it was not good.

The pool was really nice, although cold, and there were plenty of sunbeds. You don't get any drinks service by the pool, so you have to make sure you're by the pool bar to make getting your own less of a hassle. They didn't have any branded drinks, and that included soft drinks. Very cheap and nasty tasting drinks.

We lasted 8 days before we got sick, so was pretty good going. Still felt ill for 10 days after we got back home, we must have picked up a nasty bug from the food. The chef always wore gloves, but they were often split and he had dirty fingernails :/

The staff were really nice to be fair, and would often tell the Russian guests off on our behalf for being so damn rude. They push in front of you in food queues and will move your towels from the sunbeds if you nip to the toilet. Even though there were 200 empty sunbeds available. It was incomprehensible.

There's a gym in the sister hotel across the road that you can use, although it's extremely basic and very dangerous because the equipment is so dated and not well looked after.

Wifi is the worst I've ever experienced. It's so slow that you'll spend 40 minutes trying to open 1 email. Hardly worth bothering.

All in all, not a great holiday. But if you don't mind about barely eating & having rude Russian people trying to spoil your trip, then it's fine.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank LorenzoMingus
Kettering, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

we have just returned on the 27th august. we have stayed at a lot of all inclusive hotels over the pas 20 years and I have to admit this is the worst one to date.

Food- apart from always being cold and the choices were the same over our 11 nights, the so called al cart restaurants were no better.

Entertainment- what entertainment. this was very disappointing no kids clubs, on most nights no entertainment at night and when it was on it was very poor.

Staff- most were very pleasant apart from the bar staff, always getting funny looks when you ask for more than 2 drinks.

Drinks- most of the time the fizzy drinks were flat.

Hotel- our flights were delayed by over 9 hours. we had to stay at the hotel until 11.30 at night but once 3pm came the hotel cut our ands off and if it wasn't for some friend we met we would not have had any food or drink. the hotel was not very sympathetic.

Tartaglia family

Room Tip: corner suites are larger
2 Thank sergio t
Brentwood, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

My Family and I have just returned from Fun City on Monday evening 26th August. I would honestly say do not visit this hotel as it is very poorly run. When we arrived at the hotel didn't have our reservation and this took 2 hours to sort out, we had to move rooms 4 times at 10.30pm because we were in the wrong size room which had no air conditioning and was dirty. The biggest issue we had was that the men working at the hotel constantly pestered the teenager girls within our group asking them they ages and asking to return to the UK with us. At one point my daughter was stopped going to the toilet by one of these men and asked how old she was and he wouldn't let her past. We complained to the management.
The food was poor and the drinks were awful, I didn't have a drink thought out the whole 10 days holiday as they were so unappealing and all the glass had chips or cracks. We made friends with 4 other families which made our holiday and in total there was 18 people within this group, over the 10 days and between 18 people we had one glass yes one glass without a crack or chip.

Don't get me started on the entertainment and I use the word entertainment very loosely as it was AWFUL we had entertainment inside the hotel on 2 evenings but this was a lady signing but this was so bad that a guest asked her to stop singing. All the entertainment was outside but even at 9.30pm it was still too hot to watch silly people kissing each other as this was what the entertainment concerned of (female via male) now you know why I used the word entertainment loosely. During the day this hotel is great and the kids had a great time in the pool and the slides but the evenings were awful. We also had men constantly pestering us selling trips and massagers, they would even wake you up and this would be all day every day. I would strongly suggest not booking this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a family room for 2 adults and 2 children which was a good size.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makadi Bay
Serenity Makadi Heights
Serenity Makadi Heights
#13 of 29 in Makadi Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,143 reviews

Been to Serenity Fun City Resort? Share your experiences!