“Fab hotel at the Le meridien, wish people would stop moaning about it!”

Tia Heights Makadi Bay
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed April 10, 2006

Firstly may I say there are some real moaners out there whom I think would complain about any holiday they go on but hey its their perogative!

My husband, daughter of 5 and myself had the a fab time on our first visit to Egypt and Le Meridien Makadi Bay on March 10th,lovely hotel. We cannot wait to go back!

On arrival at Hurghada we had to obtain the visa which just to make clear, as everyone seems to pay different amounts for their visas at the airport is in fact 9 GBP. Go to the little kiosk bank that is in the passport control area, they clearly state £9 but you can pay in either GBP,Euros or Egyptian £. It is quite confusing as unlike most european countries who just accept the euro, Egypt actually accept 4 currencies. My advise is take euros and egyptian£. The $ is not so strong so you loose ou but is best for tipping as a 1$ note is better than a £1 coin.

Anyway enough about currencies, we arrived at the airport and was met by our transfer. We arranged this directly with the hotel. Beware though we were quoted 30 euros via e mail but was then advised that was a mistake and it was 20 euros.Actually on arrival at the hotel the driver only asked for 15 euros (bargain at £10) so we were pleased but rather baffled as to how it started of at 30 euros.

Oh well, we checked in with lots of other people so you did have to wait a bit which was tiring for my little one after a long flight.Our luggage was brought to our room so we just got our keys and went straight to our room which was great. Our bed was a super king size, you could fit 3 adults quite nicely (not that we did). We also had a fold up bed for our daghter which was really comfy (so she said). We had a lovely view of the hotels gardens which are so well maintained and
beautiful. Our wardrobe was really roomy with an in room safe (no extra charge) and a light in the wardrobe too!

God this is getting really long now and I could go on on for hours but I better make it short.

Food - Aladdin restaurant is no way as bad as some reviews have made out. It is not like school dinners. The choice of salads, bread and hot food was fine.
They have a seperate pasta station and kids buffet every evening (not much choice though). Only thing we were dissapointed with was the dessert buffet it was more or less the same each day but still was fine if you could fit it in.
Our favourite was Fridays Themed "Egyptian" food. All the wonderful middle eastern foods mmmmmmmm I an taste it now.

Bread Lady- this was the highlight of my holiday. Made fresh pitta brad in front of you at Breakfast,Lunch and Dinner. ooooohhh I can smell it now. I miss this the most.

Prince Karim - This was a lovely experience (it cost about £5 extra per adult, children free) but was worth the experience of having your choice of food cooked for you but you still had to line up for it. Again desserts a bit dissapointing but the fruit platter was lovely. worth a visit, we dined there twice.

People - All staff were fab, no one was rude and could not do enough for you. One bar man in the Dockers bar deserved a big tip at the end of our stay as each night when he saw us he would get us a table even when the place was busy and bring us our drinks so we were getting tipsy as we din't know how much we had.

Cleanliness- 5 stars, the hotel, pool, restaurants are superb. All staff are really busy and they really do work hard. Its a huge hotel so always lots to do.

One thing that was strange is all the staff are male. The chefs, reception, waiters, even animation team are mainly men. The only female we can remember was at the kids club.

Kids club - this is not a club where you can leave your little ones for a few hours and go and have some "me time". There is a sign saying that children are their parents responsibility. The kids club is right next to the Kids pool and we sat right outside the kids club so our daughter could wander in and out as she pleased. There is also an undercover playground with sand, swings, slide which was great. She spent everday from 11am - 5pm here and we were happy too as we could relax and keep an eye on our daughter at the same time. There is a little train that goes around the whole complex (you need it as it is huuuuugggggeeee.

If you want to buy souveniers go to the "souk Makadi" which is in the Iberotel hotel complex next dood to the Le Meridien. If you walk to to the beach past the kids club, turn right and walk straight through into the next complex. its about 10 minutes walk but better shops than in Le Meridien's.

A visit to down town was an experience. Not for those who do not like to be hassled. We were used to it as we have been to Turkey many times and is similar in that. But good experience.

My husband booked a day trip to Cairo through the hotel which cost £145. well worth every penny he said.
He had a fantastic time and would have paid double for the experience. Not to be missed. I stayed with my daughter by the pool as not really a place to take a 5 year old in the heat. Do not bother looking around for cheaper trips as we looked back home before we left and all the tour companies were quoting around £200.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would go back tommorrow.

We paid total of £350 for a week AI, where could you go in UK for that!!!!!!!! and at least you get staff who are curteous and go out of their way to smile.

Burke family

15  Thank Fab3
Write a ReviewReviews (1,829)

Reviewed April 10, 2006

Loved the hotel and staff could not do enough for you if you tip the bar staff and your bedroom man £2 or 200EP to start and then when you think, they will do their everything to please you and make your stay happy.

Take English money and Euros they use Egyptian Pound but its not much cared for.

When booking any of the trips be careful, Quad biking brilliant fun a definate must and the yellow submarine is absolutely magic see fishes and corals up close and personal, but watch out for the Fishing Trip advertised in the hotel and on the beach as we booked a full day sea fishing, never picked up a rod was given a piece of wood with line on and a hook, rubbish.
Would definately go back and hopefully will be there again by the end of the year. Brilliant holiday one of the best.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank Mollyfc
Reviewed April 10, 2006

We booked Le Meridien Makadi Bay Hotel thinking it was a 5 star hotel. We always stay in that standard of hotel so know what to expect. I must stress this is NOT 5 star quality more like 3 stars. We stayed in the main hotel block (room 8111) so it should have been an upgrade from the 'Dune Rooms' which are out in the grounds away from the main building and quite a trek to the food and bars!. The room was we thought quite basic and scruffy looking, however it was clean. we soon noticed that there was no lock on the veranda door. We were on the ground floor so needed to have the security of a locking door. I spoke to the reception about it and they said they would send someone to fix it. No one ever came despite constant reminders! When my wife had her first bath she managed to completely flood the whole bathroom! How did she do this you may ask?....well she simply just pulled the plug out and all the water came up through a hole near the toilet! I went to reception to complain about it and requested another room. I was told there was not one available but they would send someone to fix it. Again no one ever came! We had to lump it as Gran would say! In the end we found that if you tilted the plug just so the water would trickle out it didn't flood the bathroom.
The pool was a joke. Most of it was honestly about 2 foot deep and FREEZING cold. They said it was 20 degrees...more like -20!!
The food was very boring probably about the worst I have had in any 5 star hotel. There are speciality restaurants on the complex which we tried, they were hopeless and were mostly empty with no atmosphere what so ever. The staff throughout the hotel were great but expected to be tipped for everything! If the weather hadn't been so perfect this would have been a horrid place to be.
No we shall never be going there again I can tell you!!

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank Phil1957
Reviewed April 3, 2006

Just got back from a week at this hotel 31st March There are good and bad things about this hotel but you have to have the right attitude.

This is an all inclusive resort and as such has the all inclusive rush for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you want the Ritz then book the Ritz!!!

The food is buffet style and is very good but its mainly not English. It is plentiful but not gourmet cooking. The rooms in the main hotel are good, not fantastic but you are sleeping in them not holding a party so they are clean and adequate. The pool is lovely to look at but a little cold, so go in the sea that's warm. The amount of people moaning and groaning about petty things honestly,.... check the brochure or website carefully and if it's not what you were promised then fine but make sure you know that you get is what you paid for nothing more nothing less and anything else will cost you extra. The staff are really pleasant and will try and help in any way but their culture is such that they do tend to come over as insincere and dishonest at times. They are not, their job depends on it.

The entertainment is dire!!! in my opinion at least unless you are under 30, blonde and female you will not receive much attention from the animation team. Consider this a blessing. The hotel grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. There is not much outside the hotel complex except other hotel complexes which makes it ideal if you want to relax but not much good for site seeing. We went to Luxor and it was a very good value trip with Odessey. The whole holiday was very good not 5 star not perfect but value for money

6  Thank marilynb
Reviewed March 26, 2006

We chose Le Meridien for a good value all inclusive\break, and I suppose overall that is what we got, nothing more, maybe a little less.
The airport at Hurghada is a half step above Sharm, or at least might be when it is finished. We believe we spotted a smile on the face of a toy camel seller, but upon reflection, it could well have been wind. Have your £13 pp ready, to pay for entry visas.
We arived at the hotel(AKA HUGE village, must be 6000 rooms)at 9pm, and were put in accomodation with no view, no balcony and no room to swing even a kitten. We swiftly moved to another room. This was next to the snooker tables in the main hotel and overlooking the coach bay. Next day we were forced by the sharks on reception to hand over £80 to upgrade to a pool view room with balcony. Not a geat start, but after that things started to look up.
The weather was fantastic, the staff were mainly really chirpy, they appreciate tips, £2 per night got great service. The food was on the good side of OK at the start, but it did wear us down in terms of "sameyness" by the end of the week. We did get bad tummies for a couple of days too. The swim up pool bar was a saviour sent by the Lord, as long as you were blessed with the relevant superpower to brave the icy cold water, or were simply desperate for a warming brandy. The cold water though kept the area exclusive for well insulated people, mad English, and alcoholics. It was a HUGE pool by the way, nice to look at. The beach was large, sandy and very busy. Luxor was a brilliant day trip, the island snorkelling was a great day out too. Other reviews have covered the "not quite" all inclusive stuff, so no surprises when we had to pay for mini golf ice creams, table tennis, all watersports etc. A top tip. Avoid all wine apart from the red which was OK. Rose and white were pumped directly from the marina diesel tanks.
We had great company for the week, so overall had a FAB holiday...so other top tips might be.
Take your own entertainment, and drink so much red wine that all the negatives just fade away, until you awake in the morning that is, but heh, the pool bar opens at 10am.

Stayed: March 2006
9  Thank KevinHampshireUK
Reviewed March 23, 2006

If you are used to 5-star business or city centre hotels, you will be dissapointed. This is a good resort hotel but probably only deserves 4-stars. The rooms are OK, clean quite large but if you book an all-inclusive package you do not seem to get quite the same treatment. You have to demand non-smoking rooms, everyone in Egypt smokes so it is not something they seem to be botthered with.
The AI food is OK, a bit repetitive and buffet standard. Worth trying the other restauants and paying a small premium. The staff can be a bit pushy in selling extras, but generally they are very good. The outdoor pools were cold, though the staff assuered us they warmed up later in the year. The indoor pool is fine. The kids club, adjacent to the childrens pool is dissapointing: poorly equipped, dirty and incomplete toys, and with the exception of one young guy, staffed with indifference.
If you are travelling with very young children bring a kettle and be prepared for them to live on chips, coke and ketchup. The hotel did run a kids buffet but if your kids are fussy you may struggle.
Would I stay at the Le Meridien again? Yes, for the weather and at a very low last-minute price, but I would probably try somewhere else becasue there is plenty of choice.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank PCO
Reviewed March 21, 2006

I stayed at this hotel with my 2 children for 2 weeks in November...first visit to Egypt and I will certainly go back!
The flight into Hurghada was fine, as was the airport...yes you do have to queue for visas, but the staff were very quick and we were in and out of the airport quicker than I have ever known in any other country! I didn't bother with a trolley (they do offer them, but you have to pay) but I managed fine with 3 cases, 2 bags and 2 small children! The transfer to the hotel was quick, but once at the hotel the rep quickly disappeared and there was some confusion about what to do with our cases! (A porter stands outside the hotel and keeps them there until you have checked in)
The hotel itself looks great...rooms are clean and the porter who took our cases to our room was great. Only issue I had on the first night was that the room was slightly smaller than I expected and there was only 2 single beds and 3 of us! They brought in an extra bed the next day and the man on reception explained he had given us that room as it was in the main building and it would be better for me and the children...the other, larger rooms are located over the road from the main building, so you have to leave the hotel to get to them.
When we arrived it was around 8pm and we decided to get something to eat at the aladdin restaurant. All 3 of us are vegetarian but this was never an issue. There was always plenty of choice, fish, rice, pasta, pizza and chips for the kids! and a salad bar...the bread (made fresh in front of you was lovely!) and one member of staff would greet us everyday, find us a table and bring us drinks and cakes! This was a nice touch as the staff were always extremely busy...particularly in trying to stop the russian guests from taking large amounts of food out of the restaurant!
Speaking of which...another slight downfall was the lack of other British guests! As it was our first visit to Egypt, I was unprepared for this and for the first day we were literally listening out for English speaking people...just to say hello to! Fortunately, we did find a couple of Brits and made some good friends.
Anyway, for the most part, all the staff were brilliant, especially with the kids, everyday we went into the little shopping aracde in the hotel, just to chat with the shopkeepers who would do tricks for the kids and offer tea, whether you bought anything or not! Some things were a little expensive (compared to shops in Cairo, etc) but if you are prepared to haggle, you can get a great bargain...as I did quite often!
Do be prepared to be offered excursions, henna tattoos, hair braiding, etc when sitting around the pool or on the beach. A polite 'no thanks' works fine though, although I did see many people getting annoyed at being 'hassled'
Tipping is a big thing in Egypt, but very small amounts of money are greatly appreciated, as their average wage is extremely low. You don't have to tip staff individually, as they will pool tips up and share them equally, but if you are seen to give a tip, you will recieve special treatment...or indeed if they fancy you...but that's a different story :P
The 2 excursions we did decide to do were excellent! My little girl loves the sea and went snorkelling off Giftun Island (which is stunning)
Cairo, I thought, was amazing! I'd heard all the horror stories about people begging you on the streets, etc, but I loved every minute of our trip there. If you do go, try to fly rather than take a coach, as the journey is 7 hours long! The Cairo excursion was badly explained by our rep, but the egyptologist and tour guide who took us was amazing!
All in all, our holiday was fantastic...the animation team at the hotel were brilliant and tried to include everyone in shows, etc. The kids had a great time in the kids club and still speak regularly to the animation staff, who email and text. The facilities at the hotel are good, service is good and my kids are begging me to take them back!

• Stayed: November 2005