“Family favorite” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 29 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Belgrade, Serbia
“Family favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

We stayed in Tia Heights in August, probably not the best time of year to visit Egypt, but since it was not our firs time, we were mostly aware of what to expect.
Fortunately, we got even more...
Choosing this hotel my biggest fear was the fact that it has almost 1100 rooms. I was afraid of crowd, noise, seeking for sun beds all day around. But this is what we got:
Even for Red sea criteria this hotel is blessed with unbelievably beautiful see, deep enough to swim and rich enough to enjoy corals and colorful fishes, so it’s as ideal for kids, as for the adults. Since the beach is really spacious (and perfectly kept clean) you will never get the feeling that there are too many people around you.
But, if one prefers pool (hard to imagine, but my kids do!), the one in Tia Heights is really great. Specious and clean it gives all the pleasure you need, including very good bar in the center.
Gardens around the hotel buildings are literally haven like, so even if your room is not right next to all the major facilities (have in mind that the hotel complex is huge and in travel agency you can choose between Dune, Lagoon and main building rooms, with different prices!), walking around would be more for the joy than chore.
We didn’t have any complains about room either. It was big enough, very clean, and with specious terrace with sun beds and perfect view. All together vary comfortable.
But absolutely the best thing about this hotel is its stuff. All of them, with no exception, are focused on your pleasure and joy. Animation team is tireless and highly motivated. Actually, I can say the same thing about all the others, from the receptionist, over waiters and pool boys. Special thanks this time to Mahmud, great guy who took my 6 year old daughter in his arms and ran to the doctor, deathly scared for her safety, though it was just nose bleeding.
However, with no intention to underrate other stuff members and their contribution, I have to say that there is final touch given to this hotel by its General Manager, Mr. Michael. Seeing him walking around and checking hotel at any time of a day, having ability to discus any problems and being shore that he will help you immediately, makes you feel safe and welcome. I had the strong impression that he really cares about his guests, far beyond what you could expect.
So, when making a decision to go this hotel, have in mind that it’s not a 5 star luxurious resort on Maldives Island. And it doesn’t cost that much, of course. Therefore, it might happen that your toilet is a bit noisier or food might not be as various as you prefer. But you can enjoy beautiful see and gardens, amuse yourself with professionals in many ways, and be lazy or active, all for quite reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jelena G
michael1953, General Manager at Tia Heights Makadi Bay, responded to this review, December 25, 2011
Dear Jelena G- Thank you so much for for very kind review of Tia Heights-this is much appreciated. I believe what you have written will re-confirm to many people considering staying with us , that Tia Heights has so much to offer anyone considering a holiday on the beautiful Red Sea Coast of Egypt. At this time of uncertainty caused by the media, I think that it is important to note at this time, that The Red Sea area is very safe and you should have no worries about staying with us or any hotel in the area. Security is excellent and you are quite safe! We are far away from Cairo (hundreds of miles in fact), so please do not worry and come and stay with us and enjoy excellent weather, sincere hospitality and an excellent value for money holiday, where your money goes a long way! I write this response on Christmas Day 2011 - the sun is shining, the sea is good enough to swim in and we are all enjoying a happy time.

Michael D Booker
Maitre Hotellier (Chaine Des Rotisseurs)- Memebr of the Institute of Hospitality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

Good points,

1. Staff and management very friendly.
2. Grounds are very nice.
3. Restaurnts were nice in the hotel.
4. Trips were very good.

Bad points,

1. buffet food was bad not a lot of opions and food was not that great.
2. Russians were very rude to the staff. Never queued and just pushing in front of you. They stared at you and the women are very horrible and nasty to everyone.

The hotel was very nice but would not return again due to the amount of russians which there rude behavoiur towards staff and other guests bad made our stay very unenjoyable.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
michael1953, General Manager at Tia Heights Makadi Bay, responded to this review, December 21, 2011
Dear James- thank you for your mostly positive comments and four star rating following your stay with us at Tia Heights. I am delighted you found our staff and management friendly, the gardens and restaurants very nice too. I was sad to learn that the food did not meet your expectations and will discuss this with our Executive Chef at our daily meeting tomorrow-we do take reviews seriously-I promise you! With regards to the Russian guests, I have to say that there are good and bad people from many countries! I cant honestly say that I have met many guests that are actually horrible-some may not be our ideal holiday companions, but we cant pick and choose them! I am please to say that the majority of our guests are very nice and once you get to know them and appreciate differences in culture you can make some very firm friends! Happily, our hotel is big enough, so there is no overcrowding and there is enough space to spread out ! Last week a British family was here with two very young children, they were playing together happily with two Russian children who did not speak the same language-one would not have noticed any barriers at all and hopefully in future generations we will progress in this respect. Tia Heights is very reasonably priced, I believe we offer excellent value for money and are moving forward in delivery of service, added facilities and much more. This hotel is fairly unique in the area in having a British Manager who is very much hands on and is eager to please and therefore listen to feedback. I therefore hope if you are reading this response you will see the positive side of staying with us in the future.

Michael Booker
Gloucestershire UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

Our 5th time to the Red Sea, so were expecting a large well organised hotel with excellent staff and that is what happened.

The staff in all areas of operation were excellent and as usual were rewarded for their efforts, (better at the start of the holiday than at the end).

Our Dune room was in a quiet part of the hotel at the top of the hill above the main complex with good views. It probably took 5 minutes to reach the reception and 10 minutes to walk through the lovely gardens to reach the beach, all good exercise.

The food was at OK my wife had no problem choosing a good meal, I did not seem to have much of an appetite for what was on offer.

The beach area was excellent with a good area for swimming, it could be a bit noisy at times as much of the entertainment took place there.

There were few British guests but that did not turn out to be a problem as you will see

We like to play what they call boccia but is more like French boule that is where we made contact with the dreaded Russians, actually we managed to break down the barriers between us, luckily they could speak some English so we could have some good conversations especially with some of the younger Russians. Could it be that they are suspicious of us westerners.

If you like to walk then you can walk a few miles each way along the beach, also we discovered a pleasant walk over the golf course.

A disapointment with Makadi Bay is the high cost of hiring the hotel transport, the hotels may tell you that there are no taxis allowed in the area due to security arrangements, actually taxis are allowed into the bay area to deliver passengers. If you go to the Makadi Souk area you will find a few taxis making an empty return.

Our biggest disappointment with the hotel was the evening entertainment, we were there from 25th November for two weeks. At first the entertainment was held outside in a covered area but it was too cold when it commenced at 10pm, this area was I believe recently built but it really was drab looking and did not give the impression that anything exciting was about to happen and it did not, after a few days the entertainment moved into the Dockers bar which was warmer but not enough seating. Tip go first to the entertainment next door at the Sunrise which starts at 9:00 pm. We thought the 10:00pm start at the Tia was too late. A plus though was that much of the entertainment and announcements were in English

We will probably go back to the Makadi Bay area again next year, had the entertainment been better then we would almost certainly go back to the Tia. Had we not met our Russian friends there then the evenings would have a little dreary.

A recent addition to the complex was the massive aqua park I just wish I was young enough to enjoy the facilities, this of course means lots of children at the hotel but it was only obvious at meal times where they were mostly very well behaved.

We did not have the pleasure of meeting the manager, had we have done so then I would have suggeted he changes his brand of whisky, it really was awful.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Austin P
michael1953, General Manager at Tia Heights Makadi Bay, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
Thank you sincerely for taking the time to write the positive review following your stay with us at Tia Heights- the feedback is important and we will share the information with our staff with the aim being to build on our successes. I am surprised at your comments regarding the entertainment quality,as we received so many positive comments in the past, therefore, I will feed this back to our head of animation for his attention. Regarding the start time at 2200 hours, I understand we star at 2200 hours to give guests time to have dinner and walk to the pavillion without being rushed,but once again, we will review this in detail and act accordingly. I understand that we actually started holding evening entertainment for adults at 2130 a week or so ago too ,so lets see! I therefore hope you will return to us in the future-it was a shame we didnt meet,but I think you may well have stayed at Tia during my two weeks vacation period!

Kind and sincere regards and seasons greetings

Michael D Booker
Member of the Institute of Hospitality- Maitre Hotellier (Chaine Des Rotisseurs)
szeged
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

The hotel is situated in a wonderful location, on the beach, in, beautiful garden, the pools are wery coold, about 20 C, nobody swiming in the big nice pools.
Rooms are very dirty, staff put water to the mini bar, and give clean towels, only when we give them "baksis".
Restorans are always ocupated, full, we must wait, the chairs, and the table is not clean (look at the picture).
Towels are old, worn-out. You can have everithing, but always pay in dollars!!

Room Tip: Lagoon rooms and dune rooms are so far away.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank dtun
michael1953, General Manager at Tia Heights Makadi Bay, responded to this review, December 15, 2011
I am sad to read this review on Trip Advisor, as I do not honestly believe it paints a true picture of Tia Heights! This review does however allow me to prove that there are always two sides to every story! The photograph featuring birds sitting on a table was taken in an outside restaurant! The lift pictured is a service lift! I was in the hotel at the time and remember that we actually tried to close off the area, however there were one or two couples who insisted in remaing at their table in spite of our caution re birds! When the area was cleared, the entire restaurant outside and its furnishings were thoroughly santised! With respect to the comment that towels and water are not supplied unless kick backs are given to staff, I can confirm that this is not the case-all rooms actually receive fresh towels and waterdaily and soft drinks are also replenished in the room free of charge once per week.Soaps together with shampoos etc are provided as required too! Our staff try so very hard to please and actually go out of their way to assist guests and I feel that what these guest have wriiten about backshish is so very far from the truth! You only need to read the positive reviews we have received in the past years to read about how helpful our staff are to guests! Guest are invited to contact the mamangement whilst in resoprt to solve any problems and answer any questions they may have. We have no record at all of these guests speaking to any of our management team-had they done so, I would have met them personally to re-assure them and handle the complaint in resort rather than them reverting to Trip Advisor.

I am sincere in my response and would re-assure anyone thinking of staying at Tia Heights that the hotel is not as these guests portrayed.

Michael D Booker-Member of the Institute of Hospitality

Travelers are raving about these Makadi Bay hotels

Budapest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

I' just returned from this Hotel(Nov.20th) We spend 14 days at TIA HEIGHT'S.
The hotel has a great pool and beach area. The room we stayed in need's a major reconstruction.The bath tub is cracked,the furnitures is at least 10 year old's,and need's to be replaced.The room cleaning service guy did a great job. The problem with this hotel that is simply to huge(more than 900 rooms???? and the main restaurant's are not able to handle that many people. There is a oriental-hamburger-italian-fish(Ala-carte) restaurant's on site,I' think they should close the beach hamburger and the oriental restaurant's,since there is nobody is using them.The main restaurant' (ground floor and third floor) need's to be cleaned more often. Compare this hotel to the hotel's near by,I' would say,Tia Height's is a low 4 star.establishment,need's a major overhaul.The food is ok,not much variety,bland.
The hotel guest's includes aprox.80% Russian's with a loads of kids.
This was my third trip to Egypt, it was ok.For the future traveller's try to book your room in the main building, it is close to the beach and the pool area's,and have a nice stay,

Room Tip: Main building's.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BudapestJoe
michael1953, General Manager at Tia Heights Makadi Bay, responded to this review, December 11, 2011
Thank you for your review following your stay with us at Tia Heights. I have noted your comments and have emailed you directly asking for full details of your name, date of stay and or room number, so I can personally check and follow up regarding the condition of the actual accommodation you stayed in! I can however re-confirm that the hotel is officially graded as a five star property by the Egyptian Ministry of Tourism. The hotel attracts around 15 different nationalities from around the world at any one time and whilst there are a high number of guests from Easter Europe, at any one time, these usually number a maximum of 60-65%. You mentioned our A la Carte Restaurants- these are very popular and intimate in nature and therefore one would not see high numbers in these facilities, as our aim is to maintain an a more individual style dining experience. Our 3 main restaurants and outside Pagola Restaurant plus Beach Side Restaurant included on the All Inclusive concept are more than capable of handling high numbers of guests at any one time- I must confess they can be a little busy when the buffet first opens, however in a short time, the queue goes ! There is also normally no problem as the restaurants are open between 0700 and 1000 for breakfast, 1300-1500 for lunch and 1900-2200 for dinner! The hotel has an on going updating and maintenance programme, but this is gradual so guests are not inconvenienced. One might not even notice work in progress as we are discreet!Finally we have several different types of room on offer ranging from standard rooms through to the more modern deluxe recently refurbished rooms- the difference in cost being as little at $15 per room per night depending on season and availability I therefore believe it is worth contacting your tour operator and asking for the price for an upgrade option and believe you will agree then, that we are five star and meet your expectations. I hope this helps answer your comments.

Zagreb
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

Hotel is ok but terrible food..Dont go in this hotel,hilton plaza No.1 and steinberger!!next my picturessss!!!!! 5 day not eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!! air conditioner system shoutdown 2 days,outside 45 degrees..

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank zagreb z
michael1953, General Manager at Tia Heights Makadi Bay, responded to this review, December 20, 2011
Of course I am not pleased when I read reviews like this as we are not at all happy when a guest feels they have a need to complain! To re-assure anyone who is thinking of staying with us, I would suggest that they read reviews posted from guests who stayed at the same time and I think you will see a much more honest appraisal of the hotel and food etc. They are also invited to contact me directly and I will supply photographs of the buffet taken the same day they write to me to show what food is on offer! This guest has taken photographs of food they have partially eaten -this does not therefore portrayed a genuine image! They have also photographed the service area, so please do not think this is a guest lift! If the air conditioning was broken,it would be fixed the same day and if it was not possible, the guest would be moved to another room straight away! In conclusion, we also, do not have any records of these guests or tour operator complaining whilst in the hotel and if it was as bad as they painted it on Trip Advisor, I am sure they would have complained in resort!

Sincerely

Member of the Institute of Hospitality and Maitre Hotelier - Chaine Des Rotisseurs
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2011

Great hotel, bar staff were very good at making us feel welcome with game and puzzles, big thanks to Sharif, Mohamed, Tony, amir and Safa at the best bar in Eqypt and to Michael the Hotel Manager for all his help, It was good to have an English Manager who was there to lokk after all his customers he was very visable around the hotel at all times of the day and night eating the same food as the holiday makers. My wife and I ahve been to Eqypt five time now and stayed in some good hotels, but this was the best of all the hotels so far. Would love to go again.

Room Tip: This is a very large complex which is spread over a wide area consisting of a large hotel with apart...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank williamscomments1
michael1953, General Manager at Tia Heights Makadi Bay, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Thank you for postjng your kind review. I am delighted that you believe this is the best hotel you have stayed at in Egypt-it makes us all feel very proud. Thanks too for the kind comments regarding our team-they work very hard and I am sure they will be very pleased to learn of your thanks too. I noticed your advice regarding staying in the Main Building because its nearer to the restaurants-this is very true, however I feel that I need to say that none of our rooms are more than 7 minutes walk from just about anywhere in the hotel. Many are situated in beautiful garden areas too, so if anyone thinking of staying with us at Tia heights needs further advic eon room types, please do not hesitate to email me at m.booker@tiaheights.com