1,995 results
All reviewsinfinity poolgarden barasian restaurantvanilla barother hotelscafe viennaworld buffetgerard hanssenahmed khairyfishbuilding workred sea holidaysjunior suiterelaxing holidayhead waitermakadi mallour favourite
Reviewed February 18, 2015

23 January to 6th February
First time in Egypt and we were so glad we picked the Makadi Spa Hotel. I can honestly say this was one of the most relaxing holidays that I have ever had. This is a beautiful hotel and the Junior suite, we stayed in, was stunning, with its white washed Mediterranean style furniture. it was spacious and very comfortable. Probably one of the nicest rooms I have stayed in while on holiday abroad. The whole hotel was kept spotless and all the staff were so professional and were completing a training course while we were there. (Well done to Robert the staff trainer) and to the hotel for investing in them.
The food you could not honestly find fault with, there was so much choice. The World restaurant was buffet style with so much choice. Beautiful soups which were different every day.fresh salad bar, fresh breads. chicken, beef dishes, fish, pasta, rice ext its probably easier to say the only thing they didn't have on the menu was pork, but to be honest there was such a fantastic choice, you wouldn't even miss it.
I have never seen such an amazing display of deserts in my life. Then there are the other restaurants, the Asian, Steak, Spanish,and fish restaurants. All great. The Cove restaurant for another place to eat breakfast and lunch was lovely. and there was also Shimmers and the steak house, if you fancied views of the beautiful red sea as you ate your lunch, really romantic. last but not least if you just fancied burger and chips by the pool bar the food was great.
There was Cafe Vienna a beautiful little cafe outside the front doors of the hotel, which served up great coffee or tea, with yet again the most beautiful cakes and pastries, which we found very special to go to for a coffee in the evening.
The only one little gripe was the white wine, so if they changed that for me its a ten out of ten.

There was never any loud blaring music which was lovely if you have gone away to relax and chill out and staff brought drinks to you as you bathed in the sun.
One of my favourite things was doing yoga on the grass with views of the infinity pool which looked like it was falling into the sea. Breathtaking. Well done to Tatiana the great yoga instructor.
I have returned home having had a fantastic holiday, feeling so rested and calm. I stayed for two weeks and I enjoyed it so much I could have stayed for another two .I really didn't want to go home. I zipped up my case with a heavy heart and was already dreaming about returning. When the coach turned up to take us to the airport, I laughed and told my husband I was going to run away. He laughed and said it wasn't a good idea because he had my passport. I met some lovely people and have some great memories and would return in a heart beat.
Donna and Adrian - West Midlands

Room Tip: stayed on second floor overlooking the pool and it was perfect.
  • Stayed: January 2015, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Donna P
Reviewed February 17, 2015

We stayed in the Makadi Spa over a two week period on January (we had a Nile cruise in the middle of our stay). It was a perfect experience. The hotel facilities are impressive with plenty of choice in terms of food and activities in the Makadi Bay complex. The rooms are spacious and beautifully equipped even if the semi opaque window between the bedroom and bathroom is a bit odd. The staff work very hard at making the guest's stay the best it can be. I recommend the Makadi Spa for a lovely relaxing, luxurious holiday.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful but the rooms overlooking the Makadi Palace get no sun during the day. This may be an advantage in the heat of summer but in January it could be a bit chilly at night ( no need for noisy air-con though)
  • Stayed: January 2015, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Toni F
Reviewed February 16, 2015

My Wife and I have just returned after spending 14 nights in the Makadi Spa (our second visit) we had another excellent holiday ,dining in most of the Al a carte resturants once again .My only complaint /question is why we now have to pay for our drinks in the restaurants in the Mall ,needless to say ,we didn't dine there .Mr Hansen ,perhaps you could explain the reason behind this.
There is also a new eatery called the Cafe Vienna in the smaller Mall ,near to the Hotel entrance ,serving wonderful cakes ,ham rolls ,coffee ,etc ,Hanna is the head waiter there and he is so professional ,and a lovely man ,Mr Hansen ,he is a gem!
We are already planning our next visit for next Jan /Feb .

• Stayed: February 2015, traveled as a couple
2  Thank njbrown5
Reviewed February 15, 2015

We have just returned from 10 nights at the Makadi Spa and thought I would post a review whilst things are still fresh in my mind. The Egyptian Tourist Board give this a 5* rating but I am not sure it quite warrants that level, perhaps a 4* would be nearer the mark. There was not one specific thing that spoiled our time there but more a culmination of small things that if rectified, could perhaps then say they are a true 5* resort.

I will start with the plus side of things. Hotel is only about 35-40 mins from the airport and about same if you want a trip into Hurghada. The hotel does run shuttle buses but the times were not convenient for us so we paid for a private taxi which was 50 Euros return trip.

If you want to make purchases of items whilst in Egypt, I would suggest a trip to Hurhada as the haggling there was quite fun and more like a sport to be enjoyed by all concerned. The guys in the shops around the complex did not seem interested in haggling at all and the price was pretty much what they wanted. I think the Russians just pay whatever is asked and they think the Europeans will pay the same!!

Our rooms were on the second floor and overlooked the pool and the sea and were absolutely huge. The bathroom was split into 3 sections, one has a large bath tub and a wet floor area with big square shower head and a screened door leading to the vanity area with his/hers sinks and mirrors and then a separate toilet and bidet with private door. There is plenty of hanging space and shelves and cupboards for clothes and a room safe. The bed was large and comfortable although the pillows are not very soft! I notice previous reports have commented on the aircon units and ours was quite noisy but you do get used to the drone eventually and can't say it affected our sleep very much.

There is then a seating area with L-shaped sofa, coffee table, wide screen tv and mini fridge and then sliding doors leading to a massive balcony. Again this was split into two sections, the first being in shade had a table, 4 chairs and 2 footstools and the second half was in the sun and had 2 sun loungers with padded cushions provided. On the days when the wind is a little gusty, this provided an excellent area to sunbathe and read and was sheltered from the breeze which can be a little on the cool side at this time of year!

The mini bar has 3 bottles of soft drinks free of charge but these do not get replenished but 2 free bottles of water were provided daily and you could ask for more if required. The bathroom was provided with shower gel, shampoo and body lotion but for much of our stay we had to keep asking for these to be replenished, plus tissues and toilet roll. I would not expect this of a 5* resort and have never experienced this in other hotels in Egypt or indeed around the World. Also there were no bath robes and when we asked if we could get one, we were told they changed the rules in January and now only the suites get provided with one. We asked if we could pay to hire one but nothing materialised.

We also had a problem with a terrible smell of bad drains in our bathroom (Room 6241) and for the first 3 days kept reporting it to reception who said someone would come to sort it out. We think there was a blockage somewhere as one of the sinks used to take forever to drain away so we stopped using that sink as it seemed to make the pong even worse. However, after 4 days we gave up as the smell persisted and was still there on the last day, we bought some air freshener instead and kept the patio doors open as often as we could. It is the little things like this that they need to sort out if they want to be classed as 5*.

The hotel itself is well laid out and has a very large free form pool which said it was heated, however, most days it was too cold to go in. The infinity pool was like stepping into an ice bath so nobody was in there at all but it was nice to look at. There are plenty of sun loungers around the pool and although it says absolutely no reserving of sunbeds, I am afraid this is not adhered to on any scale. One of the hotels further down the beach had the idea of placing towels on every sun bed each day so it was first come, first served and no reserving beds, a much better idea.

The towel system was not explained to us on arrival but basically you are left 2 beach towels in a bag in your room and if you want clean ones, you must leave the towels in the bag, outside your room at 5pm each day and the towel man comes round with a trolley and replenishes them for you. They do seem to expect a tip of £1 each day!

The World buffet restaurant provides a very good choice at breakfast and evening meals. Breakfast has a juicing station where you can squeeze your own grapefruit and oranges and they provide a separate electric juicer for carrot, tomatoes, veg etc. They provide a good choice of breads and pastries, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal etc and then there is the usual egg station for omelettes and fried egg. Also cold meats, cheese and other hot foods are available and there is also a pancake station. The waiters work hard bringing round teas and coffees but could do to clear away dirty pots and dishes a bit quicker as you soon run out of space on the tables. Evening buffets had a selection of Asian, Italian Pasta station, salads, fish, chicken, steak and rice, potatoes, vegetables etc and all in all was very good.

The hotel has a fish restaurant, a steak house, Spanish and Asian restaurants. Food was better in some than others. Asian was excellent, the Spanish one is rather gloomy and the fish one has lovely decor but hardly anyone eating in it, despite them saying they were full every night when we asked to book. When we did eventually get in, there were only about 6 tables full. We assumed they must only accept so many covers per night. You do have the option of using the Makadi Palace and the Grand Makadi restaurants as well and we took the opportunity to try the Thai (excellent) the Italian (also excellent but service very slow) and the Lebanese which everyone raved about but was not our best meal - the meat was very dried out.

The beauty of staying at the Makadi Spa is that you get to use all the other restaurants but the other hotels cannot use the Makadi Spa. Also it is adult only so it was absolute bliss to spend 10 days with no screaming children round the pools or whining in the restaurants, (apologies to people with children!).

People we spoke to said you used to be able to use the Mall as well which is also full of restaurants but they have now made these so that you have to buy your drinks. Needless to say most nights it was deserted as who would go there to eat and buy drinks when there are so many other all-inclusive ones to choose from?

Cafe Vienna was our favorite spot in the late afternoon. It is in the little square in front of the Makadi Spa and they serve lovely teas and coffee with fresh cakes and pastries and the guys in there are smart and funny and nothing is too much trouble.

This brings me onto the negatives which is mainly to say the hotel really needs to decide what it is. Do they want to be 5* all-inclusive or not? Some of the restaurants also offer dishes which are priced extra, plus bottles of wine extra, if you want to use the gym, it is £5 per day (I have never been to a hotel where you are charged for a gym). They have a beautiful lounge bar which looks out over the pool with nice sofas but if you go in here you have to pay for your drinks. Again, this was nearly always empty so what a waste that is. The 2 bars the hotel does have are not that brilliant, one is outdoor so on a windy night it is too cold to use and the indoor one lacks a lot of ambiance. One evening did have a singer with a guitar and he was excellent, so perhaps a bit more of that.

On visiting the hotel next door, they had a much nicer piano bar with entertainment - jazz and Latin American music and we spent most evenings in there as it was just a 2-3 minute walk from the Makadi Spa. Also we found the alcohol in the hotel next door was much nicer, despite being told it was the same in all the hotels. We found the white wine was always warm and not very pleasant, the rose was just about bearable and the red left a furry coating on your tongue. The beer tasted soapy and the cocktails were just too sweet to drink. They bring the wine in a tiny glass half full so you are constantly asking for top ups but then waiting ages for it to arrive so many lunch times and evenings we ended up drinking water unless we were at one of the other hotels where the drinks definitely seemed better quality. We have stayed in other all-inclusive hotels and the standard of even the house wine and local spirits was much better. Not sure if we just got a bad batch or not.

Moving onto the Spa - as yet, there is still nothing built and nobody seemed to know when this might be finished. You can see where it is going to be but nobody working on it so it all looks a little bit sad and unfinished.

Overall, the hotel we thought was very good value for what we paid but our thought is that because Makadi Bay is still relatively new and still developing, it is almost that the hotels do not have to try that hard as there is not a lot of competition around. We have stayed in other areas of Egypt including Dahab, Nabq Bay and Sharm-el-Sheikh and the hotels here have a lot more competition and I can honestly say the service we have received in those hotels really was 5* compered to this one. However, I would not let this put anyone off from staying here as many people we spoke to where on their 3rd visits back to this hotel and it was perfectly pleasant but they just need to sort out the odd things and it could be even better.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool area/sea view were the best.
  • Stayed: February 2015, traveled as a couple
4  Thank winonhols
Reviewed February 14, 2015

Incredible hotel and would definitely go back again. You can use a lot of the other hotels facilities as well so plenty of choice. The available excursions were fantastic. The onsite restaurants and pools were easy to get to and always kept clean. The staff were almost always polite and helpful. The service was generally good, although once or twice it slipped a little under par, but was quickly resolved. Having coral right outside your room was also just amazing. Just one warning. There is a big glass pannel between the shower and the bedroom and although it's patterned you can see through it. Overall, almost perfect holiday and I will be telling all of my family about it.

• Stayed: February 2015