“Good facilities and excellent value; friendly and helpful staff”

Stella Di Mare Beach Resort & Spa Makadi Bay
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good facilities and excellent value; friendly and helpful staff”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I have just returned from an Easter school holiday "week in the sun" with my 5 1/2 year old son (his first trip abroad, my third visit to Egypt over the years) - booked through Thomas Cook. Firstly, to re-confirm much of what I'd read in other reviews prior to going:
1. Staff - overall couldn't have been more friendly, helpful or accomodating - imparting a little 'special' feeling to us both with regular greetings etc, as we relaxed and enjoyed our holiday. A small tip goes a long way to rewarding their attentiveness !
2. Room - we were allocated a ground floor room in the Beach complex (nothing was made clear in post on-line booking info from Thomas Cook as to which part of the resort we might be staying, so be preared to ask of your holiday company if necessary). Room location was very near to the beach; main pool and the "central area" of reception/main buffet/terrace & bar. This was overall very convenient and the room was clean & comfortable; wonderfully maintained by room service, e.g. we were asked on 1st day if we wanted extra daily water.
The only downside being that the post 9pm evening entertainment could be heard even above the air-con! It was not a huge problem to either of us and always finished by 11pm latest. But, if you think it could be for you or your family, ask to be in a block marginally further away from either of the stages / central areas. In my opinion, the distances to food and facilities are neglible and easy to walk, wherever you may stay in the resort.
3. Food - as one would expect from an all-incl geared resort, both choice & quantity was plentiful. It is true to say that the buffets (and other aspects such as entertainment) are geared a little towards Eastern European taste (I'd estimate 50% of resort guests were Russian; although the resort seemed only approx half occupied, which I found surprising).
However, in the buffet there was an abundance of choice in salads; bread and pasta stations; nightly grills, desserts & so on - so not difficult to find things to both of our tastes and one or two more 'exotic' things to try out. I did persuade my son out of the buffet & into the a la carte twice (be prepared to ask & make clear on the advertised booking system!) - the Italian was OK and Indian very good (with option of a mainstream kid's menu).
At busiest times, the buffet felt a little crowded with people around the food service areas - however the tables inside were plentiful or one could take food out to to the adjoining lobby/terrace areas for a bit more space, which we often did.
4. Facilities / Entertainment - primarliy we went to enjoy sun & the pools, and weren't at all disappointed ! The choice of pools, from the "quieter", through kids' pools and up to the main pools (with the swim up bars) was excellent, e.g. no problem in my son using the waterslides, always finding a convenient location of loungers etc. The beach area is spacious and well maintained and a nice aspect that I found was the amount of grassed areas throughout the resort - perhaps not common to too many hotels in Egypt ?
One day we tried out snorkelling from the resorts' jetty which, although the reef was not spectacular by any means, offered easy and safe access and enough to see for the non-demanding. Because I could find no info prior to travelling, I will add: the resort does NOT provide snorkelling equipment to guests (I played safe and bought and took our own) - however there are a shops on-site with a good range and probably cheaper than UK.
A slight downside - the constant attentions of the "trip reps" can become wearing, as they freely & regularly operate around all the "common" areas. They are clearly sanctioned by the resort as the majority of services they are selling, e.g.diving/boat trips; quad-bikes, spa, operate from on-site. The individuals were pleasant enough but persistent and willing to refute any argument - only on our last days did the "not interested, only here for a week" take effect !

Overall - very pleased with the resort; very suitable for both young child and adult and overall met all my expectations.

**TIP** - you may save some money and time by NOT booking the holiday company airport transfer and opting for a local taxi: £10 - £15 each way I was told by another family of four, as compared to £25pp (and 3 hotel stops, of which Stella the last) on TC coach.

Room Tip: If you want restful, request a room at least 300m from either of the reception / central areas
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nick K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

First time to Egypt, visited 1st-11th April (3 adults,2 children 10&8). Arrived at the hotel with a friendly welcome from the reception staff. We got shown to our rooms which were next to each other. They were nice and clean with a balcony that overlooked the slide pool (requested this via email to the hotel directly
2 weeks before) thank you.
First day, breakfast choice of toast, fried eggs etc, omelette, pancakes, cereals. Decided to look round the hotel to get bearings and see what was about.
Lunch, not much selection by the pools so we decided to eat in the main restaurant (lots of choice).
Tea, main restaurant a wide selection. Also, in this hotel their is a Chinese & Lebanese. You need to queue and book these restaurant's at 6pm. Gets fully booked quite quickly so get there a little bit early.
There is also an Italian & Indian in the hotel and you can get to this by shuttle bus which picks up outside main reception.
Evening entertainment, they have a mini disco at 8-9pm for the children which the animation team get involved in followed by different themes every night which we enjoyed!!
Animation work really hard so big thanks to Adam,Messi,Casper,Lucy,Julia,Silke & Raymon for making our holiday memorable. EGYPT WE LOVE YOU!!
All the bar staff are always happy and go that extra mile to help you. We have made a lot of friends here and with the animation team will never forget you guys!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank becksieboop
Berwick St John
Reviewed April 18, 2014

When booking I requested a quiet room with a nice view so I was pleased with the room they gave me which overlooked the quiet pool and got minimal noise from the stage area at night. The room was pleasant though very short on power points. I couldn't get the hot water to work but one of the staff quickly helped with this.
I asked for a kettle on the first day and was promised one in a day or two - it never arrived.
I think my main problem was a lack of information, everything you wanted, you had to go and search rather than having an information folder in the room.
The beach area isn't great, it seemed quite tatty and the loungers were very uncomfortable with only a few cushions to go round. You could snorkel off the jetty which was fine though the snorkelling was nowhere near as good as the Sharm coast. One morning I walked right around Makadi Bay and from what I could see, Stella Makadi is probably one of the least nice hotels. Others had much nicer beaches, better loungers and some even had 'do not disturb' flags which would have been very welcome. You do get pestered quite a bit thought the guys are always polite.
The food in the hotel is completely dire and the main dining room just depressing. They have a ridiculous booking system for the restaurants making them hard to access though once I got in the Italian, they did say they could book me in every night, which is what I did in the end.
I tended to use the beach restaurant for lunch with Mr A El Hadi making some very nice pasta (he also runs the egg station at breakfast).
It's a bit of a shame that an all-inclusive hotel makes you pay for internet which was quite slow.
I was very glad only to be staying a week. I don't think I would return to Makadi Bay as I'm not a fan of the all-inclusive concrete jungles but if I did it would definitely be to one of the other hotels.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank AttitudeAdjuster
Cheshire
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We stayed at the beach side of the resort for a week in April. Looking at both the beach and the gardens believe this was the better option. The gardens looked a bit like a concrete jungle and would imagine, if there was full occupancy could see this being a little claustrophobic although for the youngsters there is a wave pool and two small slides. We stayed in the family room with inter - connecting rooms in block 3 with a pool and side sea view. I found the rooms excellent plenty of wardrobe space and a large bathroom with shower. Just a point, the safes were a little on the small side and just able to take an i pad providing you did not have a cover.
Pool area was fine always able to get a sun bed although the occupancy was low, do not know what this would be like in the height of summer.
The beach was typical Red Sea, sand and shingle, and take coral shoes if you wish to venture into the sea. The snorkelling was less than average at the end of the jetty, the coral is completely dead. Did see the odd puffer and blue dotted stingray but this was on the walk down. Perhaps if you have never snorkelled in other areas before or your first time you might find this amazing I was disappointed. We did book a trip to three Islands with the Piano dive school which made up for it. Eventually my guess this will go the same with people continuing to stand on and touch the coral.
The big issue with this hotel is the food in the main restaurant . I have stayed in 10 different hotels in Egypt and believe you me can eat and willing to try anything, and also aware of what to expect both in standard and quality. Breakfast was as usual omelettes, eggs, pastries, pancakes etc but in the evening we struggled to find anything that wasn't overcooked, fried or hot . I can only think this is geared for the Eastern European market would suggest the hotel seriously look at this. Consequently we used the a la carte all the time, booking was no problem on the first come first served basis we booked at 8.00 pm again with greater occupancy this may be an issue , the hotel need to embrace technology and computerise. Chinese was by far the best, Lebanese second , Italian and Indian ok, Indian had poppadoms for a starter but surprisingly could not serve as non available. Beach bar fresh pizza , wraps, pasta, and kebabs was an adequate filler during the day.
Hotel service and cleanliness ,particularly the room cleaner was excellent however I find this the case in most.
In general hotel was fine for a week , and a break, would not recommend due to the quality of food.

Remember buy your Visa from the banks at the Airport and do not be herded towards the other desks. Change you Sterling also as exchange 11.5.

Room Tip: stayed in 3042/3043 opposite the pool and close to the beach
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank tobster23
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Great location. this was our first time in Egypt.
We got into the hotel and were amazed to see how nice it was The people at the reception gave us a warm welcome and a drink and were very helpful, a bell boy took our suitcases to our room . We had our own private beach and a jetty to go snorkelling off and the fish were amazing. We saw Lionfish, Octopuses, Blue Spotted Sting Ray and a multitude of other colourful fish. The staff were brilliant and could not do enough for us, they did an entertainment show each night and they were all really good. There was lots of food to choose from as there were 5 main restaurants they were all nice, except the Italian which we found the food was really salty but the management were going to assess that, and were very helpful and sorry. There were 8 pools and these were all easy to get to by the shuttle bus. However, when we were enjoying our time at the beach or in the pool, people kept coming around and trying to sell activities to us and they got really annoying, so you would need to know how to handle them. Eventually we were persuaded to do the quad biking and the horse riding and I am really glad we did this because it was amazing. I would recommend the quad biking in the desert because it was brilliant, we were on the quad bike for about an hour and then we were taken to a very secluded and un spoilt reef and went snorkelling....simply amazing. The people who took us made a necklace for the girls and a bracelet for the boys made out of shells, we were snorkelling for about half an hour and then got back on our quad bikes and went back. This was really good fun because you could go at whatever speed you wanted to. Adam was our guide who is set up in front of the Spa, go and see him because he puts lots of effort into making it special and is was really helpful. I would also recommend the horse riding, we galloped in the dessert and went in the sea with them it was good fun and the horses were so well behaved.
We liked the all inclusive deal in the hotel because we didn't have to keep asking our parents if we were allowed a drink or some food, we could have as much as we wanted, when we wanted.
Overall we had a great holiday a didn't want to go back home we wanted to stay there another week, it was a brilliant holiday and we had lots of fun. Very good value and a brilliant holiday.

E Race aged 11

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank david r
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Just returned from the Stella Makadi Gardens after a two week stay.
I'll start at the beginning and hopefully help some of you. Not the best start....no welcome drink or anyone to greet us. Checked in Ok then taken to the furthest block in the hotel, halfway between the Gardens and the Beach Hotels. Door lock was jammed and didn't work. On finally entering the room (ground floor) it was running with ants (very large ants). The Bellboy assured us this was nothing to worry about.....we demanded a different room on a higher floor. This was done and was much better. There was a pool right outside our block (Block 38). If you like to have a rest in the afternoons, forget it if you are in this block. Entertainments very loud with shouting into the microphone whilst doing aqua-aerobics and loud music from 3pm til 4.30pm. We are not old, but do like a bit of peace and quiet.
The guest mix wasn't too bad. Usual rude Russians, plenty of Germans and some Italians. There were only a few English and the Entertainment staff were always wanting to talk to us.
The restaurant in the Gardens is quite an experience. Watch out for lots of flies over the salad bar and if you like fried food you will be in your element. Don't expect quick service for a drink to go with your meal either. You are lucky if you get one at all, unless you are like us and get your own. We fortunately discovered the facilities in the sister hotel by morning three. What a contrast. The pool area was much better with plenty of room for sunbathing. Too crammed at the Gardens with no room to turn your sunbed. Also, no sand around the sunbathing area. I'm not averse to sand, I just prefer it on the beach where it belongs, not round the pool. The service at the Beach was much better as well. The waiters in the restaurant interacted with you and couldn't do enough to help. The food was a much better quality and better laid out and the beach bar was very efficient and clean.
The downside to using the Beach Hotel is the walk to get there. The Hotel gumpf claims 7 minutes.There is a shuttle bus that runs from 8am but we are early risers so this wasn't running at the time we were on the move.
The Gardens Hotel is also quite spread out and there is a long walk from the rooms at the back of the hotel to the bar and restaurant for the evenings.
The bar at the Gardens was very nice for the evening, with a pleasant terrace and comfortable seating inside for when it is too windy. The Lobby area is also very clean and spacious with comfortable sofas dotted around.
Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed our holiday. We didn't go hungry, had a swim every day and got fabulous tans.
For families, I think this would be a wonderful hotel. There is the wave pool (which looked great fun but was too cold for me), the slides pool and all the others plus the games area with pool, table football and table tennis. Lots to keep everyone amused.
We would quite happily go back as long as we stipulated a high floor and a quieter block. It is very good value for money. This was our twelfth time of visiting Egypt so we have experienced quite a few different hotels. This was by no means the worst.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms surrounding the quiet pool.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sharon H
shrewsbury
Reviewed April 2, 2014

great location, clean beautiful gardens and beach area would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who wants a relaxing beach holiday. Staff can not do enough for you. Food a bit set up for eastern European guests but we reserved the restaurants each night and most of those were brilliant apart from the indian.

Room Tip: would recommend that you upgrade to a pool view or sea view as some rooms in the garden have a very...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple