See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 23, 2016

The hotel is a cheap separate building included to Sunwing Waterwrold Makadi palace hotel complex. It means you will use everything from Sunwing Waterworld - aquapark, restaurants territory but actually will live outside the hotel. It isn't a problem, because the area more quiet but big two rooms apartment and furniture are noticeble shabby and require renovation. Even my children noticed it.
But it was inexpensive and I got separate bedroom for my children, master bedroom, guestroom, two toilets and balcony cheaper than price of double.
The restaurant in Waterworld wasn't the place I'd like to go in my own city. Quite dirty , shabby and staff unfriendly. Food quality is moderate.
The aquapark feel isn't so clear and water with a lot of chlorine.

Date of stay: November 2015
4  Thank Andrey C
Reviewed August 25, 2015 via mobile

An advantage of our family booking was that we could use the restaurants within the Makadi Mall as part of our all inclusive package. We had been advised to tell the waiters that our drinks were also all inclusive and made a point of explaining this to the waiting staff.
We chose to dine at the Golden Dragon, the waiter took great pains to say the only beer available was on the menu card and despite confirming it was "all inclusive" we were told "no problem, no charge". We ordered 2 beers a Pepsi and a water and was somewhat annoyed to find we had to sign for drinks we would be charged for despite reassurances to the contrary.
The Manager then came over to speak with our party and told my husband that if we didn't pay the bill he would deduct it from the waiters wages! We decided that this would be entirely wrong and agreed to pay for 1 beer but refused the other
Soft drinks - it may seem minor but in fact the whole drinks issue repeated itself in every restaurant within Sun Wing and it took an inordinate effort on our part at the start of every meal to explain our all inclusive package, get confirmation from the staff that they understood and worry the entire meal that we wouldn't be slapped with yet another drinks bill!
All the restaurants in the mall are uncomfortably hot - with little or no air conditioning to offer relief. The food was ok (nothing special) but the situation with the drinks just made it an unpleasant experience.
I think in hindsight I would have rather avoided eating at the Sun Wing (Makadi Mall) as it spoilt what were otherwise really good days and to be honest the food is pretty average whereas the Makadi Palace hotel food was excellent.

My advice: don't waste your time eating here as it isn't worth the bother

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Traveled with family
5  Thank Kat W
Reviewed July 10, 2015 via mobile

Territory big and dirty. Food is ok.But in restaurants no plates,no fork,no spoon .we was in this terrible place with my big family .unlike everything. Only sea is helped forget all problems.coz room also was not good.old furniture and not clean, bed sheets and towels with dirty yellow spots .staff unpolite

Date of stay: May 2015
Trip type: Traveled with family
3  Thank Kerolous A
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We are a family of 5 and stayed at the Sunwing Waterworld from 14th until the 28th July 2014. I have reviewed the Sunwing seperately but, as we were accomodated in thefamily Star, we have reviewed the two seperately.

Our suite [room 301] was large and comfortable. we only had two problems.

1. The air conditioning
This was very underpowered and noisy. it had to be on full all the time to keep the room anything near comfortable. We reported this on our second night - the point at which we realised something was wrong and they came out and cleaned the filters out at 10.30pm! The service here you won't beat anywhere in the world - it is first class. The filter cleaing helped but it was still noisy and not quite at comfort level.

2. The Shower
Lovely bathroom and large separate shower but the most pathetic shower outlet and pressure I think I've ever seen.

Otherwise the suite was comfirtable with a large screen TV in the main room and a smaller goglebox in the master bedrroom.

Cleaner was great - we tipped him on our third day and he did all sorted of sculptures for us and our chilkdren. Our cleaner was great. He missed us one day because of workload but th following day he came to see us and he could not aplogise enough.

The Family Star is about a 5 minute walk from the Sunwing and has it's own bar. Very good service here - great bar man and always seemed to be the same bar man on duty for our entire fortnight.

Room tip: Try and get within the Sunwing itself if you want a more modern room - but the Makadi family Start is good if you want things a little quieter with the convenience of it's own bar. Watch the a/c, though! Temperatures were still mid 30's at night so you will really need it. Great fortnight for us. can't wait to go back.
Date of stay: July 2014
5  Thank ApplebyWolBags
Reviewed June 22, 2013

A number of years ago we stayed at Makadi Palace hotel and this time we felt comfortable staying at Makadi Family Star as it is run by the same group. I have to say we were a little concerned having read some of the other reviews as it appeared some of the standards may have slipped. We travelled during the main school term period as we don't like over crowded hotels. We travelled with Red Sea Holiday's and I have to say we definitely were not disappointed as the holiday was probably one of the best we have ever been on. The travel agent appears to have arranged for guests at Family Star to be able to use Makadi Palace and Sunwing Waterworld facilities which appears different to other nationalities that only appeared to have access to one of the hotels. The suite we stayed in was huge, beds comfortable and very well decorated. We spent most of our mornings based in Makadi Palace and also ate meals there. As per our previous visit everything was spotless with the pools constantly being cleaned and pool staff always on hand to keep the drinks topped up. The food was also of an excellent standard at each restaurant we went to.
The afternoons were generally spent at the waterworld. My children are 3 and 8 years old and both absolutely loved the rain fortress, spending hours playing at a time. This hotel was not particularly full and is brand new, but during school holiday's I can imagine it could be hard to find a sun lounger free. There were normally plenty of lifeguards around these pools but not many bar staff getting drinks. This hotel was again perfectly clean, but as some areas are still being worked on certain areas were closed.
Just before the end of the holiday my son fell ill with an ear infection. I cannot blame the hotel for this as he is susceptible to getting ear infections after swimming as it seems to happen every summer holiday we go on. When we spoke to reception my son was seen by a doctor within minutes and the fee for consultation and medication was very reasonable.
Overall this holiday experience we have been on as a family and I would have no hesitations going back again at a later date. The organisation by the travel firm was also excellent and added to a carefree holiday.

Room tip: Hotel staff in Egypt always react well if you are friendly and polite towards them. If they find your manner to be rude or not very friendly they will only give basic service rather than go the 'extra mile' to give you a more personal service.
Date of stay: June 2013