“Excellent stay!”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Avenel
Rochester, New York
“Excellent stay!”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was a recent guest at the Comfort Suites in Avenel, NJ with my children. I can't say enough good things about my stay. I would like to pay the utmost compliment, and give my appreciation for Donna. We drove up Thurs night and had planned to stay at the Ramada. The Ramada has been my fav hotel in that area for years. I have also stayed at the Hilton, Springhill Suites, Marriot, and Sheraton in the area. Ramada cancelled our reservation mistakenly and I then hesitated to stay. I called Donna, explained the situation, she graciously said come over and she would take care of us. It was 1 am and I had just driven 7 hours. She was a life saver! She made our day and it continued with housekeeping, breakfast (excellent juices!!!), accommodations, service, etc. It was easy to get to Six Flags and NYC from the hotel. I already posted about my stay on Facebook, and CS is now my first choice in New Jersey and every town from now on!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tzer76
Marc M, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites at Woodbridge, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Tzer:

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!

Best regards,
Marc Miller
Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
SC
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed here before and were very satisfied. Unfortunately that was not our recent experience. Apparently the hotel has switched from cable to direct TV and we could not get the TV to work, the person at the desk said that they could not help us and said she would send someone up. After a half hour no one had appeared and we called again. We were told that the person that could help was out on a shuttle run and might be back soon.

Also, the in room refrigerator had such a bad rattle that we had to unplug it and not use it.

The breakfast room is too small for a hotel this size and people had to stand or take food to their room. The breakfast room was also dirty and the tables left uncleared. The person in charge of the room dragged a full trash bag through the room which dripped coffee grinds all over the floor and through the lobby.

All in all, the hotel is starting to show it's age and I'm not sure I would stay there again.

Interestingly, as a Choice Privileges Gold Member, I was not asked to review this stay. This is the 3rd time I have had an unsatisfactory stay and not been asked to make a review. It seems they already know where the problems are and only ask me about the good stays!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ChiefEd
Marc M, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites at Woodbridge, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Dear Chief:

First off, I would like to apologize about our hotel not meeting your expectations. You point out several areas that we need to address.

We have recently changed to DishNetwork as our TV content provider to give our guests a wide range of channel choices, from HBO to sports to family friendly programming. Honestly, I have problems with the TV when I am staying in the hotel! This is something that we are addressing.

Finally, let me assure you that Choice Hotels shares our desire to have honest feedback about our guests' experiences, both positive and negative.

When you find yourself in the area again, please contact me personally and I will do my best to make certain that the Comfort Suites at Woodbridge is your home away from home.
DC
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This hotel is a nice hotel with great customer service. There are no frills or great views, but the room we had was very clean and comfortable.They offer free shuttle to the Newark airport and train station, which is a plus. It was a good experience for an overnight stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FLbeachgoer_12
Dear FLbeachgoer:

Thank you for the positive comments! Our entire staff prides itself in making our guests feel comfortable and welcome.

We also are happy that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle to/from Newark Liberty International Airport and the Rahway Train Station (on NJ Transit's commuter line into New York City's Penn Station). Our location is excellent for reaching much of New Jersey as well as mid-town Manhattan.
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This was a nice place. We receptionist we very helpful, stayed for 3 nights. Room and lobby clean. Staff were very helpful when I asked directions and info. Breakfast is ok but had better. they are very strict on time. At 9 everything is put away real fast. While other hotels I've been in on this trip they would let you know they are closing and if there are a lot of people they would extend another 15 or 30 minutes. Still we enjoyed it and the location to NYC is great. The hotel is still a lot better than others on the NYC side.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Chadi M
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Overall Good Experience! Not the best location.

Urgent Urgent: The guy who just posted before me is 11 years old and does not know what he is talking about.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Tom:

As we cater to guests from 1 day old to 100 years young, we value the opinion of 11 year olds!
Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We were driving to Maine and had stopped overnight in Richmond, VA. After a very traffic-filled drive to NJ, we just wanted to rest. We originally wanted to stay at the Fairfield Inn, but it was booked. We didn't want to drive anymore, so we thought we would just stay here. I'd say it wasn't a total disaster, after all. The hotel is nice as Comfort Suites go (or any Choice Hotel) with an actual tiny bar in the lobby. The lobby actually kind of impressed me, to be honest. It wasn't half bad. It seemed like it was just remodeled. When we got into the hallway of our floor, all the good impression having been built up was gone. The hotel is one of those that tries to be fancy on a low budget, making it look low and gaudy. Anyways, the room was no better. Fancy/Cheap. They are two different adjectives, you can't have both. There were holes in the covers on the bed and the internet was out. (I had three hours of work to do on the internet. FYI: I didn't get it done.) The only thing impressive was the TV selection of channels, which was at least more than decent. I can't believe I even swallowed the breakfast. Of course, I didn't eat any of the hot foods. (Lucky me, I probably would have had a stomachache.) Literally, it looked disgusting. There was a sign on the wall that said, "This breakfast is CONDITIONALLY SATISFACTORY." That ruined my appetite. I stuck to cereal. Overall, my stay was okay. But I expected nothing more than what I did get. After all, it is New Jersey. (NO OFFENSE MEANT.)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Adam R
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We spent two nights here on a brief visit to NYC. Closest hotel to Metropark, Iselin NJ train station, then a 40-50 minute ride into Penn Station for $10 each way.
Suites were typical Comfort Suites, nicely sized, free wifi, etc. On a very, very busy highway, and you'll hear traffic noise all night long. Limited free breakfast to grab a quick coffee and cold food before driving to the train station. (There is a shuttle driver who will drive you to the train station, as well, and a shuttle to the airport if you fly in. We were driving.)
On the upside, the desk clerk and bartender (there's a tiny bar open from 6 til 10) were very nice, and helpful. The rooms aren't new, but very clean. Plenty of chain restaurants a short drive away, plus a neat Irish Pub a few miles down the highway.
The road is divided with a concrete median, so access is easy only from one direction.
Biggest assets are proximity to the train station, and a very reasonable price for the area.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, bring earplugs. A lot of highway noise is audible througout the night...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Chadi:

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the staff made your stay more pleasant.

Regarding the breakfast: we do try to be flexible with the end time (9am on weekdays, 10am on weekends). Our breakfast room is open all day, so that you can finish your meal at leisure. In addition, coffee and tea are available 24 hours a day at no charge.

And we appreciate that favorable comparison to New York hotels! We are closer to midtown Manhattan via train or car than much of New York City.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avenel
Holiday Inn Express Woodbridge
Fairfield Inn & Suites Woodbridge
Home2 Suites Rahway
Home2 Suites Rahway
#1 of 5 in Rahway
Best Western Riverview Inn & Suites
Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel
Hilton Garden Inn Edison/Raritan Center

Been to Comfort Suites at Woodbridge? Share your experiences!