“Not a good stay”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Avenel
Pune
“Not a good stay”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We wanted to explore new york and chose this hotel because it was in our budget whereas new york hotels were overpriced. At the time of check-in we were told that due to some reason they did not receive any confirmation from Marriott website about our stay whereas I booked the hotel 2-3 days in advance and got confirmation mail also. Not only this I called the hotel atleast twice before coming to let them know about our arrival. Somehow they had one last king bedroom left which they gave to us. Room was terribly hot. When we called at the front desk, they said it will take sometime for the room to cool down. We waited around 20-25 mins but still had hard luck with the AC. When we started going down from 6th floor we heard fire alarm and left the elevator at 4th floor and came down by staircase. We were told building needs to be evacuated. Since it was terribly hot outside, we sat in our car for what seemed an eternity before everything went back to normal. After going back in we again complained about AC and this time a guy came to fix it, he couldn't fix it so they changed our room however in this new room one light bulb was not working. We called again at the front desk and asked them to fix it next morning as we were not in a hurry. Internet was also not working which they said was because of heat wave however it started working automatically in couple of hours.
We specifically booked this hotel because of their shuttle facility otherwise we already had holiday inn booked that we cancelled later because it didn't have shuttle service. However it turned out to be not useful at all. In the morning we told them 30 mins in advance about needing the shuttle however we received it after 1 hr 15 mins. Also the same night when we were coming back from new york, we called 45 minutes in advance. Still we were made to wait at rahway station for 35 minutes. It was getting pretty scary over there and lots of suspicious looking people were hovering around on streets. My husband & I were the only 2 people there waiting for shuttle. After we gave up our hopes we called for a taxi and only at that time shuttle arrived. Driver was very rude & adamant. When the driver told us he got late because he was doing some other work and hotel staff knew this already still he asked for this driver and couldn't arrange another driver, we were furious. Front desk guy when talked to, apologized but we couldn't take the risk of spoiling our trip so next day we went to new york by our own car. We didn't want to be on mercy of their shuttle service. Breakfast was inadequate. The lady who was taking care of breakfast bar seemed she did not like her job. She was giving bread to people from the canteen inside only when asked to. There was no bread kept in the breakfast bar itself. Cinnamon rolls were stone hard & fruits were too limited in quantity. Overall, we wouldn't like to stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Turkish first
Elizabeth, New Jersey
Reviewed March 22, 2011

The staff is courteous and helpful in every way. Check in is easy, if we need anything extra like towels, it is not a problem.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Rochester, New York
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Hotel was clean and rooms are well kept. Exercise room was up to date and well kept.
The breakfest was a wide selection and fresh. The staff was very helpful with everything.
The only issue I had was not being greeted as an Elite member and asked about my extra points for the stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 24, 2011

Very clean and convenient room. Very professional personnel at desk and excellent management. For me, very convenient location in Central New Jersey. Good restaurants around the hotel. Adequate exercise room. I did not use the pool but families with small kids can use it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
maryland
Reviewed January 11, 2011

The 3 of us decided to spontaneously stay at a hotel for New Years. My friend had a rewards account with Marriott, so we decided to stay here. The hotel on the outside was beautiful, and the free shuttle service to the train station was a plus. We received room 316 which had two full beds, and a sofa bed. But as soon as you walk into the room, this overpowering smell knocks you off of your feet. It was coming from the bathroom. I don't know if something was wrong with their septic system, but it was a huge disappointment. The smell wafted through the whole hotel room the duration of our stay, it was terrible. So we went into the city, and celebrated New Years, and got back to the hotel at 5am. We were exhausted. So we wanted to take advantage of the breakfast the hotel offers at 7am, so we decided to get back up 2 hours later. Well I woke up about 10 minutes before 7am, and didn't feel right. I went to the smelly bathroom, and turned on the lights, and looked at my arms, and realized I had been bit by bed bugs. I had six bites on my right arm, three on my left, two bites on my hand, and one on my face. I was livid, scared, and grossed out all in one instance. I went back to the bed, and saw one crawling across the bed, I took pics. Woke my friends up, and then we went to front desk. The two there apologized profusely, but it didn't help. They offered another room, and I said why would I do that, so I could get bit again? So they told me they had to send someone up to look at the room, I said for what, by that time, the bugs will be gone, I have pics here from the bug being on your bed spread. They said it was policy, so they sent up the guy who was driving us in the shuttle the previous night. Im thinking what is he gonna do?? He got to the room, and said he didn't notice anything. OF COURSE NOT! So I asked the front desk to talk to manager, they said she-Dolly wasn't in yet. But they contacted her, and she said we would have to wait till Monday so the pest control could come in. I said I will be back in Maryland by then, I want results now such as a refund. They said that wouldn't happen till after pest control showed up. So we left out of there mad, and itchy with our tales between our legs. We went back into the city that Saturday before we left to go home to try to salvage our weekend. Around 5pm, we received a call stating our room was refunded, and my friend received a free room. We were happy with that. Now, a day after we came back I started getting flu like sympt, and a fever, and rashes. I might have to pursue this matter more. But stay away from this hotel, the rooms are smelly, and bug infested, and the management sucks.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank sisuey
Tohfa, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Woodbridge, responded to this review, January 15, 2011
Dear valued guest

On behalf of the Fairfield Inn & Suites Woodbridge, our management team would like to thank you for choosing our property and we sincerely apologize for the experience you had with us on your last stay. We assure you that we responded promptly to your concerns and have always taken the necessary steps to ensure a high standard of safety and comfort for all of our guests. Our course of action followed our company procedure to its full extent. The room was vacated, checked thoroughly by our trained staff, and inspected by an industry specialist for your concern. We want you to know with confidence that our property is fully certified for safety and cleanliness for every room, and we would like to invite you for another stay at our property. We thank you for your business and appreciate the time you took to give us your feedback.

Fairfield Inn & Suites Woodbridge
Management Team
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 8, 2011

I travel throughout the US and have stayed in many hotels. For the price and the area,
this hotel was excellent. The staff were great, the hotel is very clean and the gym, pool, and breakfast were all excellent and well taken care of.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Did not want the expense of a NYC hotel especially at the inflated rates of the weekend of the NY Marathon. This Fairfield Inn & Suites was 1-2 miles from the Rahway train station, but the hotel supplied free, rapid, and responsive shuttle service to the train station. For return trips, just called the hotel from the stop prior to Rahway and once we arrived at Rahway, the shuttle was there within a minute of our arrival. Going to the station was just as easy and fast. Made access to NYC easy. Ride time on train about 40 minutes one way.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avenel
Comfort Suites at Woodbridge
Residence Inn Woodbridge Edison/Raritan Center
Hotel Executive Suites
Hotel Executive Suites
#2 of 2 in Carteret

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Woodbridge? Share your experiences!