“No good experience...”

Ranked #1 of 2 Avenel B&B and Inns
Montecatini
“No good experience...”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Really cannot understand the reason of so many good reviews!!! This bring serious doubts on the method of evalation of Tripadvisor. I found nothing in this hotel: room with old (and old stye) furniture. No breakfast, no restos in the neighboor (minimum 2 miles). Strong smell of cooked food everywhere.
Distance from Manhattan, with average traffic conditions: 1,5 hours.
The are several nice inn, as well as Holiday Inn and Marriott in the area. You'd better go there...!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank weblac

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Norway
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Thank you for the warm welcome we received when arriving for our one night stay. A large spacious room with a fireplace that was turned on as it was a bit chilly outside this night. It was also superclean. It was quiet and we had a good night sleep before our long flight home and we highly reccommend this place.

Room Tip: We had a standard King room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Blackbalder
Washington DC
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Horizon Inn is located on Highway 1-9 about 12 miles southwest of Newark airport. It is on the east side of the highway and when entering the parking lot you really have to slow down from the busy highway. The small hotel is 2 stories. It does not have an elevator,business center,pool,or exercise room. Staying here would be for sleeping purposes only. As you enter the lobby it is small but nicely furnished. The front desk is enclosed by glass so apparently this place has been hit by bad guys once too often. Don't let this put you off. The area surrounding the hotel is residential. It is totally safe during the day and I still felt safe returning at 11 pm. Check in was quick and the clerk offered to help me with my luggage. Once in my room I was surprised at how clean it was. I usually stay at Days Inn but this place was light years cleaner. Absolutely no dust. My room came with a queen size bed,a small sofa,a small refrigerator,and a microwave. It has a modern flat screen TV with many cable channels. The linen and towels were so clean that they looked brand new. I didn't use the Wi Fi so I don't know how well that works. The few things to nit pick about would be the grout on the bathroom tile floor. It could use a good scrubbing or redone. The bathroom towels were perfect but the bathmats have seen better days. The nightstand had a few scratches that could use a quick touch up. Other than these minor issues this place was perfect. I had no trouble sleeping even though the hotel is next to the highway. The traffic dies down at night but light sleepers may want to bring earplugs anyway. The other small hotels in the area didn't look inviting and the regular brand hotels were charging $150 a night. I stayed here for half that through Priceline. The next time I am in the New York area I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank JTWashingtonDC
Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I have booked two rooms for two nights in July for September 8th to be sure that I will get them, since the reviews on the internet were great. The night before our booking an emergency situation have taken our plans out of their way. We have called the hotel for help and spoke with Mr. Patel and explain that we have to cancel the booking since an unexpected event happened in our lives and we no longer can come to New York for our vacation. He listened and agreed to cancel the booking. For this reason I am extremely grateful for his understanding and for his compasionate help. I will recomend this hotel to anyone who is going to New York, not only for the convenience of the location but also for the kindness of the owners.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank avalansha
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Staff were awesome, friendly. They check if you need anything constantly. the hotel is hidden, but clean and very reasonable. they were always pleasant and smiling. It is a family business, they make you feel comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Adel F
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I was on my way back to Boston on a Saturday night. Stopped by in many hotels/motels around 2am and they were all booked on RT 1 north bound. Saw Horizon Inn, I had never heard of this motel before and was worried at first but I didn't care at that point, I was tired and needed a place to crash until the next morning to continue my drive home. I was very surprised when I walked into the room. The room was very clean with a Queen size bed. This is the last room that was available. It's supposed to be a smoking room but It doesn't have the smell. A massive jacuzzi tub, fridge, microwave, flat screen TV, AC and fire place. Seemed like the just shampooed the carpet too. For the price I paid, I was very happy. The staff were friendly, they were very accomodating. I also received a discount and late check out time. I will recommend people to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank AstiWeiR
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Overall I had a lovely stay here! It is a family owned hotel that serve its customers with an individual care. I was treated very well by the staff and one of them even gave me a ride to the Train station. The room was clean and well kept, though I do agree with a few other reviews regarding the breakfast. This is definitely something to take into consideration. However this place is an excellent value for the money. As long as you keep in mind this is a Motel with excellent staff you will be satisfied with your choice. May

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Gaius J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avenel
Holiday Inn Express Woodbridge
Best Western Riverview Inn & Suites
Apa Hotel Woodbridge
Apa Hotel Woodbridge
#2 of 3 in Iselin

Been to Horizon Inn? Share your experiences!