“Great Hotel”

Magawish Village & Resort
Ranked #127 of 221 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Just got back, had a wonderful holiday. The rooms where a good size and very clean, aircon worked well. The bathroom was big and well lighted, a nice big mirror, hair dryer, bath and a shower. The only draw back with the bathroom was there were no plugs so u had to have showers only. The rooms had enough plug sockets and the tv worked fine, if u have got time to watch it. The room even had cooking facilities if you wanted to use them, we didn't as the food was lovely. The hotel is spread over a lot of ground, theses are well kept and the gardeners where always working on them to keep them tidy. The beach is reputed to be the biggest beach in Hurgharda, it is very nice, clean and there a more than enough sun beds. The staff where lovely but very surprised to see us there, apparently the British don't go to this hotel. We were the only British people in the hotel for the fortnight that we where there. It didn't cause us a problem, but it might be a bit intimidating for other people. The hotel is a hot favourite of the Russians with a few Germans and Italians thrown in, on the most part they where fine but the we found that at times the Russians could be quite rude. They don't believe in queuing and occasionally we found they tried to push us out of the way, the staff don't put up with this so don't let it worry you. We did however found one of the Russians habits a bit disgusting, some of them have a habit of spitting anywhere they like. They were doing this openly on the beach, paths, lobbies, anywhere they liked. So please wear something on your feet at all times. We went in February this is there winter season so some of the facilities in the hotel where not available, some of the bars where not open. But there is enough other bars to keep you going if u like a drink. On the whole this is a lovely hotel and more British people should visit it, I was disappointed with one thing. On our last day we checked out at 12 as you have to, they cut of your wrist bands and then you have no access to the facilities. Our flight was at 19.25, we didn't get picked up until 17.00 so had five hours to kill. No access to a room, no food etc. We had to make a request at reception to ask if it was ok to have something to eat, at first I thought that they where going to make us pay extra but in the end they gave us a meal pass. There are shops in the complex and you can buy snacks, but we understood that we had paid for the whole package and our last day should be catered for, there should have been the option of staying in the room until we where picked up even if we had to pay a token amount. We felt as if all they where only interested in getting us checked out on time and fend for yourself until your coach comes to pick you up, so push for a meal ticked so you don't go hungry while you wait. We ended up sitting out side reading, went for something to eat and then when we where ready had to change and wash in a public toilet. When you have a late flight I feel that provisions should be made for people to have facilities to wash and change and they shouldn't have to ask for meal vouchers. After all we pay enough for our holidays. Apart from that little rant, give this hotel a chance. It's a great hotel, with lovely staff, lovely food and a lovely beach.

Room Tip: We had a twin room with a garden view, if you want to pay extra you can go for a bungalow. But for t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank cougarlady13
Essam A, Front Office Manager at Magawish Village & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for posting your feedback through Trip Advisor site.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your first stay at our resort, thank you for your positive review.

I will certainly share your great comments with our team, who I know will all be delighted to hear such a positive review.

Once again thank you and I am very much looking forward to welcoming you & your family back at Magawish village & Resort.
Essam Ahmed

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I have been visiting the Hotel since 2007. Every time I noticed some changes. A few years ego, when the Egyptian tourism was very popular and attractive, the Hotel was full of guests and we could feel perfect atmosphere of holiday. The management started to refresh the apartment’s buildings and bungalows. If you pick the Hotel you have to ask for the refreshed rooms. There is no problem to change the bungalow to any other if you want to without any extra charges. I think that the refreshed room can be accepted as 4* rooms. I would also say that the food is very good and safe for tourists. Drinks are available all day. The Hotel has got the largest beach in Hurghada, and you can always find a place for yourself (noisy or quiet whatever you prefer). And that is important that there is beautiful natural sand. Management and the regular staff are friendly and very helpful. The towels are changed every day. I have to underline that there is also the biggest sport spot in Hurghada. Surfing and kite surfing are available for the beginners as well as for the masters. Sometimes sunbathing on the beach (umbrellas and beds are free of charge) you can watch several kites jumping on the water. You can always find similar offer but you can not find such a beautiful beach and excellent kite spot. For people who are looking for attractive night life it is very easy to access the city –a taxi costs 4 or 5 US dollars only.

Room Tip: pick the refreshed rooms only
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Roman J
Essam A, Front Office Manager at Magawish Village & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Mr.Roman

Many thanks for posting your feedback through Trip Advisor site.

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at your second home, thank you for your positive review.

It is a pleasure to note that our overall services and accommodation provided were up to your satisfaction. and we always paying attention for your useful comments and opinion

Once again thank you and I am very much looking forward to welcoming you back at Magawish village & Resort.

your sincerely
Essam Ahmed

Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very nice. The staff is very helpful and allowed us to choose the room from the empty available without any additional charges. The hotel is clear. The room was very comfort and including air condition, small tv with cable which we did not have a time to watch, hair dryer, very big and nice mirror at the bathroom, minibar, sofa, and very comfort big king bed. Our bungalow was very nice and clear and the house keeping service was everyday without additional charges or any payment for the housekeeper. If you call the reception for anything they response immeditly in few minutes.
Manta is the main restaurant that we have breakfast, launch, and dinner. The food not so fantastic and quite repeated. The drinks are available at restaurant's bar. The water also fill yourself during you have your meal. The staff of manta helpful and if you need anything they help you. I onnce have 2 cups they helped me to take them to the table. the fish meals not nice.
The Dolfin restaurant is a bar and I liked its ice cream which from 12 to 1 at noon. there also very nice light pitzza and pasta . the staff is very nice at dolfine restautant.
The orienal bar was at night and it is very amazing to set at it at night and breath the wonderful clean air that smells like at "sahara" clean air.
Shamousa bar I did not join it as I was all the day on the beach.
There also a small bar at the reception but I did not use it morr than twice. I can say it was clear.
The main WC behind the reception not so clean floor.
The other bars was closed.
The animation team is weak but try to do something with us. There is a wonderful music half of the day on the beach, so we swim and dance in the wonderful sea. The beach was wonderful but the sand have some not clean location specially where there are kids but the staff at the end of the day I saw them cleaning all the beach. and the next day the location was clear on the sand. there is a diving center but I did not use it. there also a colona watersports but I also did not join it.
The gardens between the bungalow are very green and full of flowers. Our bungalow window was next to amazing purple flowers.
The hotel is very nice, cheap, clear, and helpful staff. and very close to the airport. one problem the wifi is not free but I used mobile internet so it was not my problem :)

• Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank ShineStare
Reviewed October 26, 2013

To summarise: This is NOT a 4-star hotel! It is AWFUL. The food was DISGUSTING. The room was DIRTY. Reception staff were UNHELPFUL and RUDE - they OVERCHARGED us on taxis. There was LOUD Russian dance music on repeat on the beach ALL DAY. There was a smell of sewage EVERYWHERE. Half of the bars/restaurants were CLOSED. Toilets were dirty with NO soap. Gym was TERRIBLE with NO air con. The only hotel WITHOUT free Wifi for guests.

• Upon arrival, we were shown to Reception which smelled awful and, after checking in, were shown to our room, number 424. The room was very tired and the fixtures and fittings very old and often dangling off the walls. Specific problems included:
o Bathroom was dirty and the bath was stained
o The light in the bedroom was a 15watt bulb so it was impossible to see anything (this was changed after asking Reception THREE times)
o There were ants in the room
o The water availability was intermittent and sometimes non-existent
• We went to the main restaurant for our first meal that evening and it was disgusting:
o Much of the food was stale and unhygienic
o Food was left on tables long after guests had left
o There was no sense of order and as a result there was no formal queuing leading to an appalling experience for us (two polite Western guests)
o Breakfast ran out of fruit salad (tinned melon) very earl and never replenished.
• Many of the bars and restaurants at the hotel were closed all week and this was not highlighted in our welcome information. Instead we were provided all of the opening times for the individual bars and restaurants, most of which was irrelevant. It was left to us to visit each location before we discovered whether it was open or closed:
o Mermaid restaurant – SHUT
o Panorama bar – SHUT
o Cave bar – SHUT
• When having a drink at the bars, it was very difficult to get a proper glass rather than a very cheap and flimsy plastic cup. The Oriental café, which was nowhere near a pool or the beach, had a large supply of glasses and yet the staff were VERY reluctant to provide one as it meant they would have to wash it up afterwards
• There were only 3 food options available at lunch in the Dolphin Bar: pizza, pasta, small salad
• There was a lot of rubbish around the hotel and a lot of the bins were over spilling
• The toilets around the hotel were disgusting and there was often no soap available
• There was a smell of raw sewage when walking through the resort
• On the second evening, having had such a harrowing experience in the restaurant on our first evening, we asked Reception to order us a taxi into Hurghada. We were charged 35 Egyptian Pounds for a one-way taxi. When returning later that evening in a proper taxi, we were charged only 20 Egyptian Pounds. Reception had ripped off its own guests. This trait continued all week as we had to eat out every evening due to the disgusting food and every night, Reception tried to charge us MORE THAN NECESSARY to get a taxi so that they could rip us off. This therefore meant that we didn’t trust anything that anyone in the hotel said to us and they are meant to HELP their guests rather than rip us off!
• The beach was a pleasant place to spend the day, or so we thought until the extremely loud music began on the first day. This was played on repeat ALL DAY, EVERY DAY and there was nowhere to go to escape it. The music was played by the resident Animation Team and when asked if they could turn it down, we were told it was not possible. If there had been background music on the beach, this would have been fine but instead there were 4 x stage speakers blaring awful Russian dance music ALL DAY ON REPEAT
• When we went to use the gym one afternoon, to get away from the music on the beach, we found yet another disappointment. There were some weights and that was it. No running machines. There was also no air conditioning so the room was like a sauna
• We could not believe that the hotel did not offer complimentary Wifi for guests. Whilst we would not expect this in all the rooms due to the layout of the hotel, we could not believe that we were asked to pay for usage in Reception. Every bar that we went to in Hurghada offered free Wifi so why on earth could the hotel not offer this, at least for half an hour a day or something similar?

Room Tip: "My tip is AVOID this hotel AT ALL COSTS"
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
18  Thank abeags
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This may have been 4* when it opened, but sadly, 35 years it's only worth 3. Some parts of the site are looking quite tired and in need of refurbishment, particularly our room. The beach is beautiful and clean, the pool and main dining area were also clean and well maintained. The food was good but a little repetitive. The staff were always very helpful and friendly.
Considering what the holiday cost (and what the hotel receives after the airline has taken the lions share) I can't really complain.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed here as a single female and I must say that the staff couldn't do enough to help. They were very proffesional and were not disrespectful at all (which I have encountered at other hotels)

snorkeling - I was given a beach front bungalow, with the largest bed I have ever seen. The room itself was a little dated but cleaned on a daily basis.

restaurant. The food was ok - you wouldnt starve, although kids may find it difficult to find something they like. I would say if you like your food piping hot with lots of choice then this probability isnt the place for you. The staff however couldnt do enough to help - particularly aba. Who arraned for bottled water and a complementary fruit basket in my room. And also arranged for the chef to make my favourite desert to bring back to the uk (for a very small fee).

Beach - the beach was clean and beach towels and bed's provided free. Use if the beach bar was also included in the all inclusive option which was great. Essa was very welcoming and could organise snorkeling and trips into town (very informative). My only recommendation is that when the beach is as quiet as it was that waiter service could be offered for drinks (and im sure this would increase tips for staff too).

all in all and considering the price this is a great budget conscious hotel. Facilities are 4*, quality of furnishings is more 3* but the helpfulness of the staff is definitely 5*.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank aspi01
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The sea is wonderful there. very close to the airport. The hotel is a 4 star hotel. The stuff is very kind and helpful. I book it by phone and when we arrived we have a good bungalow and Mr.Ayman at the reception is very kind and helpful man. The bungalow is nice at size. the shower and toilet are clear and have a liquid soap for shower and hands. For each person the there is one big towel for shower and one small and the two are changed everyday. The room also have a hairdryer, minibar, air condition, tv. the room have a sofa which replaced by a bed for the third person if you book a room for 3 adults. All beds are comfort and the bungalow is very interesting at its design.The beach have dolphin cafe which is very nice and Mr.Salah and Mr.Mohamed are very kind and helpful. The beach divided into parts for swimming for diving and watersports. The swimming part not need to wear any shoes and the sand have no corals. the diving side need a shoes to prevent any injury. every day there are tides that make able to collect wonderful small and big shellfish. there are very large number of crabs that moving and running on the sand . The mountain view at the sunset on the other side of the beach is amazing. manta restaurant have a kind and nice staff specially Mr.Waleed and another Mr. I do not remember his name now. The food is normal not so good and not bad. you can drink what you want multiple times and select the food too. the restaurant is clear and nice design. The all staff is nice and helpful. The oriental cafe is very wonderful and perfect staff and there are Mr. I do not remember his name but he is very helpful and very kind. the animation team is only work at the night show at the amphitheater but on the beach they are very weak and I did not see them do anything only once they did something on the beach but you will not need the absolutely as the beach activity you will do take all the time. the beach is nice for kids and adults too but for family or friends as solo person can feel that he/she lonely there. the hotel have a taxi service that you can use when you leave the hotel or want to go anywhere out of it (additional fee). really recommend to visit this wonderful place for relax, swim, watersports and enjoy the time

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family