“Great value for money!!!!”

Shedwan Garden Hotel
Ranked #156 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
manchester
“Great value for money!!!!”
Reviewed December 15, 2009

This hotel deserves better write ups than it gets. We stayed there on the 6th of Dec 2009 and we never got any upset tummy bugs etc. The hotel food was really tasty. The hotel staff were ALL excellent and very polite. We had no faults whats so ever about this hotel. When speaking to other UK tourist, we all came to the same conclusion reagrding the small minded individulas who like to infect and put people off going to this hotel!!!! Trust me this Hotel is excellent value for money, it has a very high level of hygine.

Our tour rep "Amir" for the red sea holidays was brilliant, we really looked after us all and help to make our stay wonderfull. For those of you thinking of doing any snorkelling and diving etc try Ozone which is based on the complex or prince diving which is based 5 min walk from hotel which offers really cheap snorkeling trips. If you like you could book with your tour rep, like we did. Cost a bit extra but like all the trips well worth the money. We also went with prince diving which was brilliant.

Once again dont botehr reading the negative write ups as it may put you off, to be quite frank they are bordering slander......... If you have booked a holiday with this hotel dont worry your gonna love it......
The deputy manager is fantastic should you ever need him, he is always available....

P.S Santader the singer is really funny......
Enjoy your trip and relax.................

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rebecca-jarre

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
east anglia
Reviewed November 26, 2009

We have visited Tunisia and Morocco before so had an idea of what might await us in Egypt, we were not disappointed and if anything pleasantly surprised by our time here. Only slight downside being the brit abroad.... I hang my head in shame when I hear comments like "I suppose it'll be rice again" or "I bet they're not kellogs" Seriously. If you don't like foreign food, don't go abroad on holiday! I also overheard a disgruntled "there was nothing for the kids to eat" which, given the array of fresh and healthy options at every meal, makes you wonder...
I agree with other comments about the level of the AI package though. It was more like full board with drinks thrown in but that suited our needs. And the sun lounger saga isn't over stated - but we only missed out one day of the 14 without having to resort to bribing anyone and we didn't tip. We stuck to the beach but did hear the pools were very cold. Neither of us had tummy trouble while we were away. (I wonder if some brits have tummy trouble due to their excess in the sun and the bottle that they put down to the food).
The beach was well designed to provide a sheltered cove at one end. The marine life available from the beach was brilliant with various parrot fish, lion fish, puffa fish, etc but would still recommend a snorkeling trip to the reefs (much cheaper if not booked through your rep). A trip to Luxor is well worth it also but a very long day and the road is heavy going in a mini bus.
This is not the hotel for you if you don't like cats. They are everywhere and keen to interact (even joining you on the beach sun loungers). We love them so this was a perk for us rather than a pain and they were all healthy.
Old town (where this hotel is) is worth a walk around if you can take the constant requests to "just look" but you get that everywhere outside of the hotel. And Sakala, with it's very nice new marina and extensive shopping opportunities, is also worth a look but agree your cab price upfront (and you can haggle with cabs too!). We drove through the new part with all the big hotels a few times and it looked ok too (but quite tourist oriented).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank giggletiger
England
Reviewed November 16, 2009

This is an honest opinion, as an experienced traveller I am not being petty, just honest so others can get the most out of their holidays!! Although the comments I am about to make may seem minor individually, but club them together and you will be disappointed.
We stayed at the hotel in November 2009; the one thing we couldn’t fault was the weather, who could complain about a desert climate all year round??? The rooms in the main building (where our rooms were) are really nice, we were on the 4th floor with sea views... and I haven’t a complaint about the actual room it's self (Except the showers, which I will come to later). I didn’t see any of the other rooms so I cant comment on those!! The Main Building rooms included:
A king size bed, TV, Mini Bar (which you have to pay for), Wardrobes, personal safe, dressing table, ensuite bathroom, balcony with table and chairs. I would defiantly give the rooms a 10/10.
Now the bad things!
Shower - Not matter what time of day, there is no water pressure, the shower has a routine of going hot/cold/on/off, it gets quite annoying when your in the shower and have been trying to rinse your hair for over half an hour!!!!
Restaurant - All I can say is thank goodness for bread, because without it, we wouldn’t have eaten all week!!! For the first two days I was ill, vomiting and Diarrhoea (Throughout the week, all the English had the same condition). So for the rest of the week, my party was extremely cautious with food and thank goodness we were, Majority of the food was undercooked or just raw!!!!! And it was suspected that ingredients such as eggs were re-used on a day-to-day basis. Once you've seen a green egg, and a chef cooking raw chicken and serving it on the same grill with the same tools... it puts you off eating.
The food is very repetitive, rice, potatoes, salad, bread, chicken, and fish. In the end we ended up leaving the hotel and eating out, just to get a descent meal!!
The service in the restaurant is also very poor, tables took quite a while to be cleared, and then they weren't wiped over or sanitised, before it was reset for you. And you were very lucky to order a drink from a waiter as they are like gold dust in there. If you can, get a drink from the lobby and take it in with you.
Pools and Beach - I would suggest practising getting up early before you go just so you can get a sun bed anywhere by the pools or on any of the beaches!! We were up no later than 8.30 every morning, and some days we couldn’t get a sun bed or even a chair!!!!! You notice that some people have the same sun beds day in and day out, sound suspicious? So it should, a friend found out that people were paying the pool people to save the best beds for them everyday... although this back fired on one family, as when they asked for some drinks and an umbrella putting up, the pool boy refused unless they paid him. The pool waiter worked for tips, and I mean this literally, if you wanted good service, you HAD to tip him after the first day you had been there, or else service would be limited for the rest of the week! Visitors to the sister hotel, Shedwan Golden also use the facilities (so another reason sun beds are limited).
The pools are also absolutely FREEZING, no heated pool as stated... a quick suggestion, jump or dive straight in or you will never get in.
Throughout the day, you will get people trying to get you involved in something (which of course you have to pay for) these include, massage, hair beauty, snorkelling trips etc, if you say no thank you to them they will leave you in peace (except the snorkelling trips which need a bit more gentle persuasion).
All Inclusive - I use the term lightly, In the hotel, you can only get drinks from 3 places the lobby bar, 10.00 - 00.00, Pool bar, 10.00 - 00.00, and the octopus bar which is only available until 17.00. There are many 'hiden' area's so be aware!!
I'm going to Stop now, im sorry that ive gone on a little (Ok a Lot) i just want you to get the full picture!!!
Just one more word of advice, PLEASE be careful when using taxi's that security have not got for you!!! they WILL Try and Con you in every way!!
Thank you for reading, and i hope the comments i have made will help you choose your holiday.
P.s If you do go, Carlos the waiter is an absolute Star!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank j10jlt

Travelers are raving about these Hurghada hotels

kent
Reviewed October 15, 2009

We stayed here in October 2009 and found it to be perfect. Its not the Hilton but if you want the Holiton you ahve to pay Hilton prices.

We upgraded our room so it was in the main building and i would recommend this as the rooms out of the main building can be a little out of date and i did hear that the showers leaked but ours was fine. Only downside is water pressure, it didn't matter what time of day we tried while you were having a shower the water would stop completely for a few seconds. Its didn't ruin our holiday was just one of those things.

The facilites are great and although the staff were sometimes slow in serving you it was only because they were serving someone else. I found this hotel had a lot fewer restaurant staff than other hotels i have stayed at in Egypt but the food was always hot and available.

By the end of the week it did get a little repetitive, rice, pasta, potatoes, chicken fish but what can you expect for a hotel catering for so many people?

We found the animation team to be great as they didn't approach us all week, i think they could tell it would be fighting a lossing battle!!! The other people trying to get you to have a massage, henna tatoo, brades etc whould come round every day but if you said no thank you the moved on.

While we were there the English were in the minority but there will still around 40 of us, we didn't mind this as we didn't go on holiday looking to meet people we went to relax. It was mainly Germans from what we gather and they kept themsleves to themselves.
We did go into the marina two nights for a few drinks and found this to be brilliant, i go again i may try and get a hotel within walking distance of this area as it has be redeveloped.

The pool area was clean and we could always get a sun bed by the pool or on the beach no matter what time we came down. The pool guy would always come over with matresses for our sun beds and put up our umbrella with a good morning and a smile.

Finally tipping, we didnt tip anyone until the last day. i don't think we would have had any different service if we had been tipping the whole way through although i noticed a few would tip to get sunbeds but it wasn't needed.

I would definalty go back to Hurghada and if the price was right to the Shedwan Gardens. Quite a few people transfered to out hotel from the Grand which was apparantly terrible so i would avoid that if you can.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Chester
Reviewed October 13, 2009

After reading some of the reviews about Shedwan Garden I was beginning to think I had made a mistake.
The hotel was good for the price and the rooms were very comfortable and very clean but some of the furnishings were a bit dated.
The waiters in the bars were very friendly and helpfull.
The food was acceptable but nothing special and didn't meet my expectations for a 5* hotel.
The entertainment in the hotel was almost non existant, every day there was Egyptian music played at the pool and poolbar from 8am to 12pm,( I think they just kept repeating the same couple of CD's).
This is hotel is very popular with German and Eastern Europeans and I know that the Germans seem to accept any old rubbish as entertainment .
I booked the oriental night and the bbq night at a cost of around £12 per person, there was entertainment in the form of traditional dancers and belly dancers on the oriental night and the bbq night was similar but not as good.
Hurgharda its self is a dump,Ilike to go out and explore the area when on holiday but took no pleasure in stepping out of the hotel due to the persistant shop keepers who came at you every 4 yards or so wouldn't take no for an answer and were a complete nuisance.
There might be entertainment in the Shakala district which is quite smart but I wanted to make use of the all inclusive drinks and couldnt be bothered with the shopkeepers so stayed in the hotel.
I never go to the same area twice so will not go back to this hotel but if I had to it wouldn't bother me however I would take some good CDs with me for the pool bar staff to play.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
Reviewed September 17, 2009

We stayed for a week (arrived back in UK on 16th Sept 09). Went with an open mind and were pleasantly surprised. Hotel is clean, reasonable standard but more like a UK 3*. We were really pleased with our room: good size room, massive comfy double bed, reasonable bathroom, balcony with sea view (we paid £40 extra with travel agent but well worth it!).

Hotel is on beach front, absolutely gorgeous bays, lovely breeze which makes heat more bearable- this is definately a holiday for beach lovers. Only downside was that people would put towels on sunbeds first thing (esp poolside) &claim that spot all day even if they went back to rooms etc (think this is a given in most places though!) But there were plenty of beds left on the beach, you just have to walk a little further if you go down later in the day.

Food wise was average- plenty of it, quite a bit of variety but by the end of the week we were bit sick of it. For an additional payment (£20 for 2people, drinks inc) the hotel put on an Arabian themed evening on the Sunday night. This was well worth the price- food was fantastic standard &a nice change from the normal buffet, entertainment was a variety of Arabian dancing which was brilliant.

Yes we did have a bout of dodgy Egypt stomach (as did others we spoke to). It's hard to tell what this was but we suggest to steer clear of salad bits that would have been washed in tap water, as well as the fish which we felt may have gone off. Meat wise it all seemed thoroughly cooked and there is plenty of rice/potatoes & cooked veg. The only other downside was we noticed at busier periods the bar staff simply rinsed glasses in cold water (this must have added to bugs being passed round guests). Our advice is be sensible with what you eat, take alcohol rub with you for your bathroom, keep an eye on the glass thing (maybe keep hold of your clean glass if possible?) and take some immodium just in case!

The other thing worth bearing in mind is drinking water. The hotel charges for bottled water, works at roughly £1.10 for a 1.5 litre. Outside in any of the shops you can buy the same bottle for 21p! The hotel won't let you bring your own bottled water in if you make it obvious (as we found out) but if you take your beach bag and put them in the bottom of your bag thus hiding it, they couldn't care less. Once you have a couple of bottles, the hotel provide several water tanks that you can use to fill up on safe drinking water.

If you fancy snorkeling around some of the red sea coral o3zone run day trips out which cost £21pp inc lunch. This is a little expensive but about a tenner cheaper than what your tour opperator will charge. We went with o3zone and the snorkeling was definately one of the higlights of the holiday. The Coral and fish are breath taking.

Overall an enjoyable, relaxing holiday. A week was plenty for us. Hope this helps!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marriedtoawelshboy
Birmingham
Reviewed September 10, 2009

We booked this trip 4 days before we went, like everyone else we looked at the reviews on Trip Advisor. As im sure you have read there are rather a few people who like moan about silly little things. we paid £350 each for 1 week all inclusive and we stayed in the standard rooms which are situated just outside the main hotel, these were very clean and furnished with all the amminities you need inc Mini bar (which you have to pay for but its good for keeping your stuff cold) Tv with a pretty good film channel, shower and Bath. All the rooms have air conditioning and a good sized balcony. I did ask to see the other rooms and yes they looked more up to date but for the price i would recomend the standard rooms.
The staff were extremly friendly and helpful, they even asked if we wanted to move rooms free of charge when i asked to see the ones in the hotel but they didnt have a balcony so we left it.
Now down to the food!! last year we stayed in a 5 star hotel in Sharm and the reviews werent great for their food but we were very suprised and its the same for this hotel. I would rate the food 8.5 out of 10, it was fresh and everynight you had a man cooking either stir fry's, steaks, pancakes etc all fresh and there was plenty of it. All i would say is that there no chips in the main retaurant (which was strange as the do serve them in the poolside bar on an afternoon which also consited of Burgers, hotdogs and pasta)
The beach was right on the door step and the transfer from the hotel took 15 mins, i would deffinatley recommend the snorkle trip also at £30 pp (with lunch included)

On the whole i would say that the main hotel is a 4 star but the standard rooms are only about 3 but they have all you need. I would give this hotel a rating of 8 out of 10 and we go back.

Enjoy