“You will not go out for a walk”

Steigenberger Al Dau Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
“You will not go out for a walk”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I ve just came yesterday back to Cairo with my family and friends..All I want to say that I didn't want to leave this fantastic hotel and we enjoyed everything with the best service we ve ever seen,,thanks a lot and we will come back again for sure..Ashraf Tharwat(owner of Attori Tours)

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Hanan N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We just returned from our vacation at Steigenberger Al Dau Beach yesterday and would certainly recommend the Hotel to everyone. The Hotel hosts a wide range of nationalities, none of them disturbing in any way.
The breakfast buffet was various and delicious, european as well as middle eastern food.
Due to the Hotel size the pool and beachside was never too crowded, even if the Hotel was almost fully booked. There was animation in the pool area but in a decent way, not disturbing anyone looking for relaxation.
The staff was always helpful and especially Receptionist Ahmed Farag handled all our requests friendly, fast and to our full satisfaction. He gave us good tips about where to go in Hurghada and what to do during our time here. We felt he really cared for our comfort and he truly made our stay very special. Big thanks to him.
The private beach was always kept clean and the sea itself was fabulous..clearest water I have seen in a long time.
The only small minus in our opinion was the Roomservice. The Food was tasty but the size was simply too small. We ordered mixed grill and had literally two pieces of meat on the plate.
But all in all we would definitely recommend Steigenberger to everyone..families as well as couples/singles. For sure we will come back.

1 Thank Nicole G
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Stayed here for several nights with the wife on our honeymoon and was immediately impressed by the grand entrance and superb service by the front desk staff. They were polite and quickly got us into our rooms and put a couple of special touches.

When we asked about getting dinner for the night, we were told that the two resteraunts were booked out for the night, but that the buffet was available. Feeling tired, we decided to instead get room service which was quickly delivered, but quite average in composition. How a 5 star hotel can muck up a Club Sandwich is a bit confusing but there you go.

I then headed down to use the complimentary wifi in the lobby (which is a nice touch) but had ongoing problems sustaining a Skype call due to lack of bandwidth with speedtest reporting that I was only getting 15-50kbps max. If you can't get Skype to work on a network connection, then its pretty heavily congested.

Breakfast was fantastic with a great spread, but we then tried to get ourselves booked into the resteraunt and were told that the main one was fully booked, but that the other would be available. Dinner food at Tanja was great, but trying to have a relaxing feed with screaming children isn't really a good way to spend an evening on holidays, and another couple on the table next to us ended up leaving half way through due to the noise.

As a matter of interest, we then walked past the "fully booked" resteraunt and noticed that it was 30% full! What the!?!?!

Suggest that the hotel:
- Get some bandwidth allocated to the lobby wifi or put in some QoS / bandwidth limiting if individual patrons are using up all of a limited set of resources. Most modern Wifi installations do this to stop people downloading and using up bandwidth
- Fix up the room service menu (there were only 10-15 options) and get the quality up to scratch
- Sort out the resteraunt policy and setup multiple sittings - one at 6am for families and one at 8 for couples / groups. Having a resteraunt that is 30% occupied yet is "full" due to an artificial constraint of 10 tables being served is just ridiculous. Suggesting that a couple have a "romantic dinner by the beach" when you're sending them a resteraunt with loud music playing and screaming children is just absurd
- Fix the bathrooms so that the shower doors properly close and don't leak water on the floor - again attention to detail is important

If these relatively simple fixes were put in, easily it would be a 5 star review, however I note that for couples, you may want to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay a bit away from the main area and up on the higher floors, however all rooms have great views o...
1 Thank schnark
Bern
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We've stayed in many hotels in the area and this is still one of my favourites. Like the resort feel but still easy to get into town. Plenty of activities, friendly staff. Felt the food this time was good but not wow and the main buffet restaurant was full of very noisy kids. How about making part of it a designated family area? Still highly recommend this hotel!

Arendal, Norway
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We decided to go to Hurghada on our winterbreak, and choose Steigenberger - based on its reviews.
I have to say, its by far our best resort experience so far in Hurghada, and we have stayed on Marriot and Hilton earlier.
Pros:
Largest pool area.
Big, nice rooms.
Large flatscreen tv with english movie channels
very polite, helpful proffesional staff.
Huge property, We newer got that "crowded" feeling - always available sunloungers.
Huge selections in breakfastbuffet ( we only had B&B )
Close proximity to Sekalla, Hard rock, Esplanada mall etc.
Room service with fair pricing
Fair pricing on food and beverages
Fair pricing on cleaning service
Valued guest complimentary service from Your second stay!
Best all inclusive concept I`ve ever seen in Egypt, no plastic cups, only bottled beer and canned beverages, always fresh, nicely cooked meals.

Small cons...I feel reluctant calling them cons....-minor issues? - room for improvement?.....

Radio with ipod docking ?
Sensible prices on the minibar and Wifi - BUT!! If You visit them the second time You get free wifi, complimentary minibar . etc....
The wi-fi speed - really slow bandwith....
Watersports and massage , spa, hairdresser and even trips - exursions sold at the premises is, in my opinion, having spent 8 vacations in Hurghada, seriously overpriced. I.e, massage at the beach was 55 euro... this is the same as I pay in Norway, and on the 8 days we were there I never once saw anyone taking this offer... (wouldnt it be better to lower the prices, and increase the volume??)
The price they charge for all inclusive towards B&B is in my opinion to high. It was impossible for me and my wife to eat out (in nice, highly rated local restaurants - with taxi fare and beverages) and even come close to the asking price. Consider this when booking.

Well, all in all, I can assure You that given my experience on resorts in Hurghada....THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST!!!
Yes, there are 3 or 4 others that are above on tripadvisor. Keep one thing in mind though...They are situated in WASTELAND - like 1 hour drive from Hurghada...

I will surely hope to return to this fantastic resort again.

And to all of the staff I met on our holiday...Thank You all for a lovely and unforgettable time :-))

Room Tip: We had 1512 - exclusive, facing pool and sea - 5th floor. FANTASTIC!
1 Thank Norway68
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 21, 2014

The hotel is excellent. It's more like a resort than a hotel. Generally the service is good. The business center staff were professinal. The food was good, and not excellent. To explain, It was good but I didn't say Wowwww

1 Thank Diana H
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I just returned today from Hurghada> I must say I am impressed by Steignberger level. although the weather was cold so we could not enjoy all the facilities like the big swimimg pool because the water was freezing but they have 3 heated pools. the best was the kida area whre there is a heated pool and a Simba club and they have daily activity for the cildren from morning till 8:30. I ust express my thans to miss Fify who took a good care of my 3 children. the sea is wonderful and there is many activity to enjoy. the room is very clean and the furniture was elegant. I was on B&B bases so I only attended breakfast which was very good I considered only second to Moevenpick Elgouna (they served Om Ali on breakfast). So my only remark, that they need to improve the pastry. I am pretty sure I will go again when the weather is more worm.

Room Tip: avoid ground floor if you like sea view