“Real service”

Steigenberger Al Dau Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at the Steigenberger during the Easter Holiday and realy enjoyed our stay there. With my wife we rented a suite which had a separated room for the kids. The room was very chic and huge, with a beautiful balcony providing a great view of the see.
The service throughout our stay was excellent at all levels, wether it be at the lobby, restaurants or by the pool. There were multiple activities we could do there and the kids enjoyed the lazy river ride and even played golf with us.
We also went put for a desert safari and horse riding on the beach, which we could organize easily from the hotel directly. The desert thing felt very touristic but the jeep ride was good. The horse ride is something to do for sure even if just one of the group is into horses. We all enjoyed it.
The food was excellent at the main restaurant and even if it was a buffet, we just enjoyed every meal we took there. Sushi night was not up to good sushi restaurants though. But the variety and freshness was always there.
There were other restaurants on the site and if you intend to eat there you should book before getting to the hotel... Weeks ahead I imagine, as they were booked for most of the days we tried while there. After testing all of them, we can say the food was good there as well, but nothing to put a shame the main hotel restaurant.
The stay was wonderful and the key items for us were the good food at the main restaurant, the great service and cleanliness of everything.
We had some pre conception about Egypt of potential instability but the feeling we got was that things were very stable. When you get out of the hotel area things look messed-up and unfinished, but this was not related to anything in particular. It just seems to be the way things are there.
I would not have expected this before, but would now think of going back if we wanted to go for another sure sun vacation in great surroundings.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,472)

Reviewed June 25, 2013

great hotel,really nice stuff working there,clean hotel and good food!the main pool is in the winter not heated, only the small one.would go every tine back :) every evening animation,you can play golf or take a bike,recomment to go on a safari,really nice trip.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tinkara T
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Having stayed at the wonderful Steigenberger hotel in Osnabruck in Germany multiple times, we chose to go to the Steigenberger Al Dau beach for a relaxing holiday in Egypt.

We absolutely loved:
- the very spacious pool (ca 5000 m2)
- the lazy river (takes you on a tour through the hotel while laying on an inflatable tyre)
- our spacious room with a nice seaside view on the 4th floor
- the lunch at the sea side restaurant
- the different themes for diner in the main restaurant
- breakfast (a lot of choice)
- the calmness of the private beach
- the spa
- the location of the hotel, close to the strip and the airport
- friendly hotel staff

What could improve:
- free wifi only available in the lobby
- neighbour hotel sometimes noizy especially at the beach. However this was limited to only a few moments a day
- desserts could improve (had better desserts in other 5 star hotels in Greece and Turkey)
- service is ok but again we had better

We didn't like:
- the beach as you can almost not swim ot snorkle as not deep

Room Tip: Do not hesitate and go for the all inclusive formula
1  Thank Carreravdb
Reviewed June 22, 2013

According to my experience, this hotel has several issues that I will be listing briefly below. My general recommendation however is, if you're looking for a 5-star experience, don't go there because you will be disappointed.

1- Cleanliness & Hygiene:
---------------------------------
The toilet bowl in my room had brown marks at the bottom & below the seat indicating superficial cleaning. I had to buy bleach & pour it down the toilet. The bathtub also had lime scale. The toilet douche was leaky & created a pool of puddle of water so big that we had to put towels on the floor.
Flies are a common sight around the main restaurant on the tables & over on the buffet. I spotted one fly on the dessert station & took a picture of it. You can find it enclosed.
I took a dip in the pool which is impressively large & very well-designed. At the bottom of the pool, I saw things that I should have seen; tree leaves, sand, & torn pieces of paper tissue. The pool is obviously not being taken care of or cleaned properly.

2- Attitude & Communication:
---------------------
Most of the staff members I met seem to have an attitude issue (except one guy at the beach restaurant). After I finished check-in, which took quite a while, the receptionist called a bellboy to take my luggage & show me to my room. The bellboy walked a few meters with me, then stopped & started giving me directions on how to get to my room, which involved climbing some stairs & taking some turns. He smiled & promised he would follow soon with the luggage.
During one dinner, some of the waiters in the main restaurants kept staring at us & whispering to each other for no obvious reason.

We had to change the room we were given because it was nothing like what we were promised (noisy & with a side-view of the sea). My wife forgot a piece of the accessory in the old room & when we found out, I called housekeeping who said they found it & would bring it to my room shortly. I had to wait for 3 hours, and then when I called to inquire why they were taking so long, the housekeeping lady answered me impatiently as if I was too demanding. Obviously they expected me to wait in my room infinitely until they had the time to bring it.

I was booked on B.B basis & decided to try their dinner for one night. I asked the front office gentlemen about dinner prices if I walked in without being booked on half-board basis. He gave me a much higher price than what I eventually paid claiming that I could get a lower price if I upgraded my accommodation to H.B. I didn’t like this because it sounded like he wanted to trick me into upgrading just because I wanted to try dinner.

During breakfast & dinner, dining hours were just over & I could still see guests in the restaurant (including me & my wife). the buffet was immediately cleared without any notice or gesture to the guests to get what they want before the buffet is cleared. This is a common service practice around all 5-star hotels in Hurghada.

3- Poor Value for Money
-------------------------------
Dining around the hotel restaurants or ordering room service is very expensive compared to other 5-star hotels in the area & on the outskirts of Hurghada (I have been to many being a regular visitor to the Red Sea area). At these rates, you’d expect diversity of food, convenience, & quality service; but this is not what I got. The pool & beach restaurants close maximum by 5:00pm & if you arrive late & want to have a snack, you have no other option but to wait until dinner, which starts at 6:30pm. Alternatively, you can choose from their very-limited room service menu & pay top dollar. Additionally, the food quality is mediocre.

2  Thank Egyptain_Columbus
ECMsteigen, Guest Relations Manager at Steigenberger Al Dau Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you for your detailed feedback and that you have taken the time to describe your impressions.
As it is our goal and mission to ensure that all our guests leave satisfied we sincerely apologize for not having met your expectations.
Please be assured that we will share your comments with our team to manage better next time and to improve our service quality and the levels of hygiene which you had mentioned.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have worked with many hotels and planned many events.. Steigenberger Al Dau event and banquet services surpass all other and are exceptional in quality and ease. The staff is outstanding. They are great planners, they work ahead and deliver 100%. There is not a time when I felt that they could do better. I now choose this place over every other for work.
I work with Red Rock International which is a training company for corporations such as Al Ahram Beverages, Hero, Etisalat, Mobinil, P&G and so on.
You can trust that I have worked with most known hotels in Egypt. This specific Steigenberger stands out.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sarahisk
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Check in in around 45 min (too much if u ask me)
Changed rooms because of the view but the second room cleanliness was not good
Changing rooms consumed around two hours, wasted enough time so we didn't want to change again
Staff in general are not professional, not competent in what they do, so u get rude replies for normal requests
Bathroom cleanliness is not good, yellowish toilet bowl, With some traces... Had to get bleach on the second night to try to clean it
Same for bath, shower And basin, all not very clean
The toilet douche leaked lots of water, so does the shower
Quality and variety of dinner buffet is mediocre
Number of restaurants serving the place is a scandel, one main... Two with reservation at least two nights up front to find a place, snack bars at the pool and beach close early around 4 (guys at reception said 5 which is too early as well but waiters in the restaurants refused to serve after 4) and there is no variety in their food
Air conditioning is very loud
Service in general is slow and not responsive and all staff are extremely rude (I am attributing it to lack of competency as mentioned in one point earlier)
To summarize this hotel would barely get three stars ( cleanliness and lack of maintenance issues should really get them out of business)
One of the worst hotels I stayed in even compared to Egyptian stranded (which are poor in general with cleanliness issues and its seems that franchisers of hotel brands do not follow up effectively) and definitely would not recommend it. I am really amazed at the good reviews... I can't believe so many people didn't notice the cleanliness issues...
Many good hotels in soma bay and makadi much better than this one and less expensive... I am really amazed at its ratings
I attribute all the problems to the management, they don't know how to maintain a good facility like this, do not know how to hire good people and train them... This business is all about good service and comfort...

4  Thank Salmaahmed

Reviewed June 14, 2013

This hotel is located at the best part of the promonade (the village road) which is the new part of Hurghada, full of retaurants, coffee shops, bazars and supermarkets. It occupies a long distance of the sea front. Though it is a large hotel, it is extremely discipled. The beach is large and the cervice is great, the gardens and swimming pools are well planned and maintained. The rooms are large and the view from the room balcony is fantastic. The hotel has also fantastically furnished villas, each contains four separate rooms for one or two guests each and the villa has a privat swimming pool at its roof. The hatel has a large meeting room, which is well equiped, where the conference I was sharing in was held. The food was also great as well as the service and the attitude of all the working personell, and I specially remember Mr. Emad, the night manager who was very very welcoming and helpful. I didnt have the time to experience any of the hotel facilities to comment on. I also cant comment on the value because I was invited as a conference member.

Room Tip: A room with a direct sea view at high floor is the best in the main building, and if you are four co...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business