“The worst hotel experience ever!”

Mirage New Hawaii Resort and Spa
Ranked #100 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Cromer, United Kingdom
“The worst hotel experience ever!”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We spent 9 nights at this rustic and outdated "hotel" packed with Russians and impolite staff. We were forced into a room with the worst view one has ever seen. The furniture was in the worst possible condition and the cleaning staff asked for tips to clean our room, which was included in our all inclusive service. The staff at the reception was the worst. None of them spoke English and they tried to take as much money as they could when we exchanged Euros into Egyptian Pounds. Finally, on the seventh day of our stay some cleaner stole my Samsung S4 from the room and just didn't show up for work until we left the hotel. Of course, hotel staff did not find themselves responsible for this "minor inconvenience" and they did nothing about it. The beach was OK and the restaurant was pretty good. We will never stay at this hotel again! Tourists beware!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Jay D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

On the whole it's a decent enough resort, but not excellent by any stretch.
Your first impressions are that it's a nice clean resort with decent views.
The resort is well staffed & managers are often floating around in yellow t-shirts to deal with problems & keep an eye on the staff.
The pools are clean & we'll maintained with an occasional life guard on duty.
The rooms are air conditioned which is a must in Egypt.
The wifi in the hotel is simply rubbish & rarely works properly.
The rooms are 'sort of' cleaned daily or whenever they can be bothered, but they do delivery a bottle of water daily.
Our fridge leaked & didn't close properly.
There were mould spores around the tiles in the bathroom where they are just never cleaned.
The bed sheets were usually just made up rather than replaced.
The lifts are dodgy as the inner door of the lift doesn't usually shut as it's supposed to.
They have four restaurants in the hotel on the first floor (Italian - VIP - Asian - Mediterranean) but the food is basically the 'same thing' in all the restaurants, just in different guises & variations.
There are spa & salon services on site as well as water sports that the workers constantly try to pressure sell you (some are aggressive) when your just trying to relax but the pool side.
They have a 'basic' gym there as well as table tennis - pool - table football.
The pool table is totally un kept with no tips on the cues & a cue ball that looks more like a golf ball than a pool ball as it's all chipped.
If you want 'henna art' done, go to the strip shops rather then the hotel as the hotel shops & services are sometimes double the price.
On the whole I would say you can get it all done in a week as you will start to get bored of the food & beach view quickly.
I did have a good time as I tried to mix it up with activities & relaxation.
The hotel is 3 out of 5 in my opinion & that's a honest rating.
I wouldn't go back any time soon as I feel I've fully experienced all that this hotel & location has to offer.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fazer12779
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We spent 10 nights here mid june 2014. Granted, it catered more for the Russians, Germans and Polish however, from speaking to other travelers, this was the best hotel locally. We have no issues with any of the other travelers but manners were not top priority!!! We got a really good deal on the hotel and requested a pool view; if you dont, your could be at the front on the road or sides looking at next doors as the pool is in the middle/back. The excursions were amazing!!!!!! No complaints. pool facilities were great although food wasnt too great but chefs are happy to help!!! In Egypt on the whole, you are constantly nagged to buy items; best advice we got off a worker was to not speak and shake your head; as soon as they know where you are from, they will strike up conversation. Barter! Rooms fully air conditioned and good for families and couples.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Katie F
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed June 26, 2014

i stayed for 3 nights my reservation throw booking.com from 12/06 till 16/06.
hotel view, room and employees is good

the problem : upon c/i the GSA give me a poor paper with hotel instructions and i followed all instructions. second day one of pool team contacted me and told that it's not acceptable for your wife to use the Islamic swimming suit in pool. i inform him that i have the paper by your hotel instruction and i didn't find any info about that, he informed me that i can use the 3rd swimming pool as this one is for foreigners by bikini, i inform him again I’m here to use any pool not to use Specified pool.
i ask him to contact the duty manager to finalize the issue with me. he gone and come agan and inform me ''duty manager ask you to read the instructions good'' -- i got the paper and give it to him and told i read it good please give it to your duty manager to read it again as may he don't have time or information about what in it.'' again tell him to contact me.

after 30 min one of FO team contact hhhhh me and said''Mr. Mohamed Saady i'm sorry my manager in meeting --sorry it's our mistake we give you the paper of foreigners instructions , we have one special for Egyptian by Arabic.''

any way i was in vacation and don't need any …………''i inform him that I’ll us the 3rd pool it’s okay’’

but I’ll never come again to this hotel as they don't give any respect for guests.......

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank mrmohamedsaady
Pribram, Czech Republic
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Mirage Hotel is a friendly, smaller and simpler devices hotel. All services offered are very good. The staff is friendly and arranged everything to our satisfaction. The sea here is really great, but there's a super swimming in pools. Outside the hotel there is a large promenade that evening will give your holiday a pleasant atmosphere. Hotel has the best Czech-speaking delegate ... I recommend this hotel for less demanding clients who do not eat to look for the problem, but relax.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Marie N
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I got back 2 days ago and All I can say is Awful hotel, dodgy food, dated rooms, full of Russians, don't expect the room you booked to be available we ended up with a twin room (booked double pool view) looking out onto a dirty alleyway ! The bar/ pool staff are friendly but the managers don't give a "@""! A lady collapsed and it took 10 mins for the 'on site doctor' to get run 30ft to her and he didn't even know CPR and looked at us English like what do I do! Sadly the lady ended up dying because she didn't not get the proper attention and was just flung in the back of a car after 20 mins of incorrect attempted resuscitation. When I complained that at least the lifeguards need to know CPR the manager laughed at me!
The pools are very clean but the hotel is very dated and the rooms dirty. Broken tiles and nails sticking out of the walls (actually ripped my partners Tshirt) everyone who we met who stayed here got stomache upsets from the food!
Do not stay here i wouldn't even give it 2 stars! Complete waste of money and the promenade outside the hotel is just too pushy! If your going to Expect hassle from the locals, awful food, broken tired rooms. The only good thing is oxygen diving who are located just on the hotels jetty!
Please take note of this review, and don't waste your time or money!

• Stayed May 2014
10 Thank Jessicamaielliott

Travelers are raving about these Hurghada hotels

Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

Rooms were dated but clean. Really nice variety food. Close to all the excursions. Nice little beach, nice pier, enough sunbeds, clean pools, good spa. Very nice friendly staff. The entertainment was in russian i think. Felt isolating because only a couple of brits were there. I don't think many brits go there otherwise I'd stay again because I didn't understand anything going on and missed all the entertainment. Too many excursions to do in egypt. i love egypt

• Stayed March 2014