“frightening”

MinaMark Beach Resort
Ranked #80 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed with my uncle of 83 and my two daughters 25 and 34 and my granddaughter for two weeks at the minamark hotel 5 days ago I went to check out and was told the bill wasnt paid, I had paid before I went with a compnay 321 through icelolly 4.500 pounds and had given the voucher to them when i booked in so I said why are you saying this when Im leaving and the manager said we know your paid but we havent got the monies in our account so you cant leave i asked to use the phone to phone the company and was told no its to dear and so I went with my family to leave and he pulled my uncles bags of him and the security guards called my daughter names which was terrible and my granddaughter and eventually I got them to let them leave if I stayed and after hour they let me go its was terrifightening i reckonmend no one uses this hotel ever my uncle hasnt stopped crying and my daughter will never go back to egypt me I cant believe we was held against our wills.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank jane d

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Have returned from a 2 week stay at the Minamark and I find it really surprising about the bad reviews.
The staff are friendly and attentive and looked after us over the 2 weeks extremly well. They work very hard and I would like to praise them!!
Food is fine, there was always something for us to enjoy and travelling with a young 8 year old he was never hungry!
The location is great but with a pool and private part of the beach we never left the hotel until night to venture out and see friends.
Yes there is the problem with the russians, they are very rude and unplesant however this is not the hotels fault. A customer is a customer for them and they cant turn them away just for being russian. I just ignored them!
Overall I couldnt fault the hotel, its clean, friendly staff and I would definatly stay here again!
Thank you!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SarahIgesund
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This year we returned to Egypt, and I stayed with my sister at the Minamark Resort for 10 days. To be honest, I'm really glad we've spent 4 of the days on trips.
As many of the reviews already mentioned, the hotel is full of Russians. So if you're an European, prepare to be mainly adressed in Russian and then maybe English or any other language. Also, beware that some of the employees prefere talking to a Russian guest to serving anyone else, which I have witnessed on my own.
The rooms were nice, I'd say. But it seemed like the bungalows the hotel had were exclusively reserved for the Russian and Arabian guests. The receptionists told us the bungalows were for families with children. Well, there were two couples with children that came with us, and got the same basic room as we did.
The housekeeping is a different story. Last year in Bella Vista, we gave bakshish on our last day to our housekeeper because he was great. Here, however, as the housekeeper found out we didn't leave a bakshish for him, he stopped cleaning the room! We got new glasses in the room and bathroom only on the second day, and then used the same ones for the rest of our stay. And the last couple days, he didn't even bother to change our towels, he just folded the dirty ones to make it look nice. But of course he didn't forget to charge us for the water from the minibar.
If you want to stay here, maybe don't even bother paying for the all inclusive. You still have to pay everything from the minibar, don't get any sort of a complementary water in your room, the drinks at the bar are small and most aren't even tasty. I hate drinking radler (beer with sprite) at home, but it's the only way I managed to drink the beer at the hotel. The food isn't that great, either. The breakfast and lunch were the same for all the 10 days we've been there. The dinners were supposed to be different, thematic every day of the week but their 'International dinner' didn't seem to me very international. And the breakfast packages we got for our trips were just ridiculous.
The pool is dirty and lots of people we spoke to got some nasty rash from its water, including my sister. The sea is rocky from the start, then after a couple meters you get to corals and sand so I'd recommend to wear shoes in the water. I was lucky, but my sister cut her foot on two places (just small cuts though). The animators were rather annoying, if you told them you weren't going to join in on their program they got offensive and would try to talk you into it even though you kept saying 'NO'. The guy animator even had ironic remarks on us the next day, which isn't very professional. One woman cut her foot nastily during the aqua aerobic in the sea, and they didn't even stop to see if she got treated from the doctor.
Annoying is also the fact there are couple shops in the lobby, and you have to pass them to get to the pool and the sea. And no, the shoppers don't have a class at all, they're pretty much like the shoppers you meet in the streets. Bothersome, annoying and rude.

So if you're thinking of a holiday in Hurgahada, look somewhere else if you want to have a good time.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank M-V-cross
Reviewed July 5, 2012

If you want to lose weight, re-connect with the clubbing scene by the pool with techno/house (at 10am), have a week or two of detox whilst sipping non alcoholic beer (whilst paying for all inclusive) and be subjected to the worst entertainment of your life then this is the hotel for you all.

I stayed there for 2 weeks and the best part was the receptionist cutting off my all inclusive wrist band at the end of stay. To summarise, the rooms were clean - with air con louder than a 747. There were a handful of nice staff - everyone else were rude, unhelpful and did the bare minimum to pass their time by.

The hotel claims to be 4 star, but I would classify this as a bad 2 star hotel. The entertainment has to be by far the worse I have ever experienced as mentioned in previous reviews. This '4 Star' hotel allows a small group of young teenagers to run the entertainment for the entire complex - ranging from hardcore house music being played from 10am to the crap 'childlike' entertainment every evening. The girl on the mike just screams from the top of her lungs in very bad English. All you can hear is 'Clopa clopa clopa hands' 'Its showtime' 'Ohh lalala'. The music played throughout day is explicit and not suitable for children. They clearly do not cater for their clients.
The food was terrible, from watered down milk at breakfast, BBQ Chicken wings - which consisted of bones and skin only and general slop. I picked up dysentery from the food served there and had it for my entire stay. Also I was asked to leave a few times and encouraged to take my coffee outside the restaurant (this whilst they swooped my saucer from under my cup). There were incidents of plates being taken whilst people were eating too - to encourage people to leave. An average mealtime took 10/15 mins.
Alcohol - there really isn't any on the all inclusive option - as it's local and alcohol free.

On another note - if you have mobility problems, not the hotel for you - guests were witnessed being carried down steps in their wheelchair. The hotel website boasts a pizzeria and fish restaurant (they are one restaurant offering pre-ordered pizza or fish) - again.. all rushed my main came out whilst i was on first course, second was on table untouched and then the main arrived

The hotel also run incentives to make positive reviews on this website to be entered to a free draw for a week's stay so please do not be fooled

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Richardbelo
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Great location and thats it, the rest is terrible, more like a poor 2 star than a supposidly 4 star.
The food is like pig swill. Breakfast is ok, the usual breads and pastries and eggs cooked by a really nice chef how you would like them, Lunch and dinner is best avoided. Minamark cater for the Russian and Egyptians, I am not a fussy eater and will give anything a go, but this makes me feel sick writing about it. We ended up eating out as it was so bad.
I thought we had made a mistake and re read some of the reviews on tripadvisor, only then realising that many are from the Russians, some are nice as with all nations but many here are low class and nothing more than rude and ignorant at the best, piling their plates so high and then leaving it for waste.
No tea and Coffee making facilities in the rooms, we werehaving a coffee after breakfast and told by the cafe manager, its not a restaurant, to go outside to drink it as he needed the table.
No hot water for showers ever.
Animation team are like something off play school, just down right annoying,They have no idea , don't go expecting shows, the most they do is a take on river dance and very badly too. just lots of ' oh look at me, I am trying to dance. The music is so bad around the pool, not relaxing at all is played far too loud and always something the entertainment guys want to listen to, not whats best for the guests, if you want to teach your children a few choice word explicits from some rap music they will come away word perfect.
I am very well travelled and stayed in some not so good hotels, but this is the lowest which is a shame as some of the staff are lovely, mainly the pool staff, tip them and the beach staff and you will get a sun lounger everyday reserved for you. The bar staff and restaurant staff are just rude, pause for breath between mouthfulls and the plate is swiped away from under your nose.
Basicaly save some more money and go 5 star, Minamark is not relaxing and not worthy of anything more than a cafe status.
Drinks in 200ml thin plastic cups, The gin and vodka taste the same... Thinners basically. The beer is so weak I checked a bottle only to find out it 0 alchol.!! You have to pay extra for there good stuff...

Room Tip: tip when checking in, $10 us dollers will get a good room, if not happy dont accept and change, they...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Anna_MrWing
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We arrived at this hotel on 15th March 2012, stayed for 2 weeks. we were shown a room that was being refurbished, a mistake. We were then offered a sea view room but as it was not going to be ready til the next morning we agreed on another near beach.2 beers were supplied, they did try to make us pay for them at the end of our stay, the hotel looks lovely, lots of plants, tended gardens. Things were to change

The beers were served in tiny children's party cups,but as we had come up against this before, we now take our own pint plastic cups that they did fill.

I was asked the next day by the manager to fill in a Trip Adviser review. I thought it a bit early but as all seemed Ok I did. What a mistake that was. Food was awful, the worse we have ever encountered. Chicken was cooked at 5.30 on bar-b-Que outside and left until restaurant opened at 7 pm. Potatoes undercooked, not enough veg. The restaurant is hot, air-con only put on if requested and then took ages to cool.

We were left 2 small bottles of water in our rooms each evening which we would take with us next morning to beach to fill from water container. They didn't like that and informed us to take small cup s. We did stand our ground and insisted on filling bottles, it was WATER for Gods sake. How were we supposed to drink the recommended 2 litres a day.

I would not go back, although rooms were kept clean, Pool bar staff lovely as were most of the waiters in restaurant. Taxi to and from airport should be no more that 30 Egyptian.

You are packed like sardines on beach. Everyone seems to take their own music player, the noise is awful.TAKE EAR PLUGS.. I could go on and on and on......

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SOORAZ
Reviewed June 23, 2012

the room very bad, and not clean at all, the staff there was not good like the don't have any Experience about the Hospitality.
the room small was very bad, i can not stay more than only one hour, and then i go to other hotel.

Room Tip: i think all them room the same, bad , bad, bad.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple