“Azur Bar”

SENTIDO Palm Royale
Ranked #8 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Eid Makram and Saber Ramzy,two really nice people and excellent waiters. They made us feel very welcome and their people skills are excellent.
Also we must mention Farag in the Stella Resturant,another excellent waiter.

The front desk Manager Kaanah from Sri Lanka made us SO WELCOME and he saw to all our needs.
We look forward to seeing them when we return again which we most certainly will.
Shirley and George Elsden.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shirlelsden
There are newer reviews for SENTIDO Palm Royale

Reviewed December 5, 2012

We visited this hotel last month with our young child, and to say that the hotel staff were not accommodating would be an understatement. The food in the main buffet restaurant was at times bland, but this was more than made up for by the a la carte restaurants which were deliciously tasty. Facilities were outstanding and well kept, and the staff were well trained, perceptive and most delightful. Well recommended!!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Richard B
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My wife and i have been to Egypt many times before, and always felt let down by the hotel claims of 5star standards. This hotel is of its 5 star claim. the impressive lobby, the helpful staff, the grounds. The Lebanese restaurant is an amazing place, we ate like kings on the special seating there, the Kofta, Sambosik & there amazing rice pudding, would make me go back alone. The pool guy looks like an Egyptian Magnum PI, is a great guy along with Bishoy the bar man.
the only draw back is that the hotel is far away from Hurghada, a £40 taxi journey, that is English £. the hotel is a quiet place to relax, unless the rude Russians are in force, there behaviour at times lets the hotel down.

We would go back there in a heartbeat, already looking into booking the hotel, with a nile cruise package.

2  Thank Oddjob73
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Spent 10 days at Palm Royale 20-30 Nov. Great outdoor facilities with private beach. Larger than we expected. The 4 restaurants are a necessary option but cannot comment on the Asian as we were told to avoid it. We had a lovely sea view room. Typical Egyptian furniture with cupboard door dropping off. Bathroom clean but the bath was a little old and shower curtain tatty. Our room was in a very quiet position which we appreciated. All staff are very friendly and helpful, a credit to the hotel and I hope the management take note of this. As we had selected to upgrade to a sea view room we were allowed to use "La Terrace" for breakfast which was wonderful.
The big let down was Cafe Stella (the main hotel restaurant or should I say canteen!). The ambience was non-existent, the food not very appetising and certainly not varied. This was the worst hotel restaurant we have experienced in Egypt and we have been visiiting this country for the past 15 years. We had most of our dinners in the Lebanese and Italian restaurants, breakfasts in La Terrace which is highly recommended.
MANAGEMENT GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AND SORT OUT CAFE STELLA, SURELY IT CAN'T BE DIFFICULT.
The Russians, of whom there are many. Be aware they are out at 0530 hrs every morning taking up the loungers on the beach with their towels. Management do nothing about it. Hope this changes.
Unfortunately, even though there are some excellent points about this hotel we would not return until Cafe Stella is upgraded to a more acceptable standard.
Tip: If you do not like a hard mattrass request a topper, they are very happy to proivde them.

Room Tip: Upgrade to sea view and ask for quiet room
1  Thank R0bbie05
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stopped at this hotel in November we have been to Egypt about 10 times and this is one of the best yet.
The reception staff are excellent check in was very easy and we were soon escorted to our room by 1 of the staff.
The room was overlooking the pool very clean and spacious with plenty of storage, Also tea and coffee making in the room.
All the public areas are very clean with the staff making sure you are enjoying your holiday.The atrium was breathtaking and a great place to sit in the evening for a drink with the pianist in the background. There is also another bar called Johnnys bar, this had a great atmosphere and was never overcrowded.
The beach was excellent with a special mention to Hussain who keeps you supplied in clean towels also George at the pool always a smile and time to talk nothing was an effort for these guys.
Tried out the Italian good food and very good service.
All things cosidered this was a great holiday
Also if you book with T C you get spa treatments included great value.
I could go on and on about this hotel but the best of it is I would go again and would recommend to anybody prepared to listen.

1  Thank davidoff007
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Just returned from a two week holiday at this hotel and had a wonderful time, staff really friendly and efficient, special mention to Bishoy from swim up bar, works really hard and always smiling and polite, also Indian waiter in Italian restaurant (sorry lost your name) really friendly. We ate in all al la carte restaurants, food and service excellent, rooms kept really clean and always well stocked fridge. Grounds are kept emaculate and beach lovely ( have to get up at 6 o'clock though if you want a sunbed) no problem getting sunbeds round pool and George always willing to help. I have only one gripe and that is our Russian friends dress code for evening meal leaves something to be desired ( shorts & vests ), fortunately they only go in buffet restaurant, al la carte restaurant diners do adhere to the hotel dress code, I did speak to Mr Kannan, reception Manager who informed me many british have mentioned this and they are in the process of making changes so next year this should not be an issue. I would like to mention Thomas Cook package is great value for money as it includes all al la carte restaurants, spa treatments (highly recommended) and many sporting activities, including horse riding, well worth it!!!

3  Thank Kath B
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had ten days at the Palm Royale from 13th November. We travelled with Thomas Cook and the transfer time was well over an hour as we were the last drop off. There was only one other couple on our coach and we were very soon checked in and accompanied to our room by the bell boy with the luggage. I had emailed ahead and asked for a low floor room and that is exactly what we got. We were ground floor looking left over the undeveloped beach and had a side sea view. The room was very clean and comfortable with lots of coat hangers. Very important to us ladies!

We dumped our stuff and set out to find something to eat. We were very close to the main buffet but did experience difficulties on this first visit. We could not find a clean table and when we did, we waited well over 20 minutes to have it re-set. This was despite having asked the waiter to do it. The restaurant was busy but we felt completely neglected especially when we saw another couple walk up and get their table set immediately. My husband got very irate and at that point, the table was laid. After we had eaten, one of the managers stopped by the table to ask if everything was alright. I told him what had happened and he could not have been more apologetic. We even brought over his superior to apologise to us. Thereafter, we never had any trouble finding a table. We went to the same spot and the waiter fell over himself to serve us.

We ate breakfast and lunch in the main buffet. We only had dinner one other time in there and did not enjoy the experience. It was far too busy as the hotel was full. They were struggling to keep trays filled as the demand was so high. We opted to eat dinner in one of the four a la carte restaurants. The reservation system was simplicity itself. You just asked the Guest Relation girls in the lobby to do it for you. No stupid queuing to book at table at the crack of dawn at this hotel.

We enjoyed all the a la carte restaurants but our particular favourite was the Asian. The service was exemplary in all the restaurants however and the food good.

The hotel itself is very ornate. There are murals, mosaics, statues and ornaments everywhere. It was fascinating to walk round and see something different everywhere you looked. Clearly, a great deal of money has been spent on decoration. As others have stated, the atrium is very impressive with live palm trees, coy carp pool and scenic lifts. On our last day, they were putting up the Christmas decorations. The santas climbing the palm trees looked very odd! They had erected stars and signs on the hotel roof and I am sure when it was all illuminated it would be very impressive.

We spent most of our days by the pool. The pool lad reserved our preferred spot everyday. The weather was lovely. Hot and sunny all day and less breezy than I expected. The sun disappeared behind the hotel by around 4pm and then it did feel a bit cool. We usually then went into the lobby bar for a couple of drinks before showering for dinner.

Each day we had a walk along the beach path to the left and went down the second jetty. We saw some amazing fish just looking into the water. We were lucky enough to see a huge shoal of literally thousands of fish passing by.

My husband took advantage of the free fishing trip with Thomas Cook. He enjoyed it so much we paid for him to go again on another day. I had a couple of the treatments at the spa. I had the foot reflexology and the anti-stress massage. Both lasted 30 minutes and were wonderful. Cynic that I am, I thought the free treatments might be an opportunity for the spa staff to try to sell more visits but that was not the case.

The one downside to our visit to this hotel was that I got some nasty bites on my feet and legs. Not sure whether they were mosquito or sand fly bites but they were large, itchy and unsightly. I protected myself with repellent at night and I think I was bitten in the late afternoon by the pool. My husband was unscathed however. There are large areas on standing water in the gardens and I believe this to be reason for the insect population. They were fogging but clearly it was not working too well. Another guest had the most horrendous bites on her legs. She needed medical treatment from the resident doctor.

All in all, we had an excellent holiday at the Palm Royale and I would not hesitate to return. My only reservation would be the insect bites but I wonder if it was the time of year. This was my 5th trip to Egypt and I have never suffered before.

Room Tip: The room we had which faced left did not get any sun at all. This would be an advantage in the hott...
1  Thank MrsKris