“Honest observations” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 229 Hotels in Hurghada
English traveller
“Honest observations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

Spent 10 days at Palm Royale 20-30 Nov. Great outdoor facilities with private beach. Larger than we expected. The 4 restaurants are a necessary option but cannot comment on the Asian as we were told to avoid it. We had a lovely sea view room. Typical Egyptian furniture with cupboard door dropping off. Bathroom clean but the bath was a little old and shower curtain tatty. Our room was in a very quiet position which we appreciated. All staff are very friendly and helpful, a credit to the hotel and I hope the management take note of this. As we had selected to upgrade to a sea view room we were allowed to use "La Terrace" for breakfast which was wonderful.
The big let down was Cafe Stella (the main hotel restaurant or should I say canteen!). The ambience was non-existent, the food not very appetising and certainly not varied. This was the worst hotel restaurant we have experienced in Egypt and we have been visiiting this country for the past 15 years. We had most of our dinners in the Lebanese and Italian restaurants, breakfasts in La Terrace which is highly recommended.
MANAGEMENT GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AND SORT OUT CAFE STELLA, SURELY IT CAN'T BE DIFFICULT.
The Russians, of whom there are many. Be aware they are out at 0530 hrs every morning taking up the loungers on the beach with their towels. Management do nothing about it. Hope this changes.
Unfortunately, even though there are some excellent points about this hotel we would not return until Cafe Stella is upgraded to a more acceptable standard.
Tip: If you do not like a hard mattrass request a topper, they are very happy to proivde them.

Room Tip: Upgrade to sea view and ask for quiet room
1 Thank R0bbie05

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stopped at this hotel in November we have been to Egypt about 10 times and this is one of the best yet.
The reception staff are excellent check in was very easy and we were soon escorted to our room by 1 of the staff.
The room was overlooking the pool very clean and spacious with plenty of storage, Also tea and coffee making in the room.
All the public areas are very clean with the staff making sure you are enjoying your holiday.The atrium was breathtaking and a great place to sit in the evening for a drink with the pianist in the background. There is also another bar called Johnnys bar, this had a great atmosphere and was never overcrowded.
The beach was excellent with a special mention to Hussain who keeps you supplied in clean towels also George at the pool always a smile and time to talk nothing was an effort for these guys.
Tried out the Italian good food and very good service.
All things cosidered this was a great holiday
Also if you book with T C you get spa treatments included great value.
I could go on and on about this hotel but the best of it is I would go again and would recommend to anybody prepared to listen.

1 Thank davidoff007
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Just returned from a two week holiday at this hotel and had a wonderful time, staff really friendly and efficient, special mention to Bishoy from swim up bar, works really hard and always smiling and polite, also Indian waiter in Italian restaurant (sorry lost your name) really friendly. We ate in all al la carte restaurants, food and service excellent, rooms kept really clean and always well stocked fridge. Grounds are kept emaculate and beach lovely ( have to get up at 6 o'clock though if you want a sunbed) no problem getting sunbeds round pool and George always willing to help. I have only one gripe and that is our Russian friends dress code for evening meal leaves something to be desired ( shorts & vests ), fortunately they only go in buffet restaurant, al la carte restaurant diners do adhere to the hotel dress code, I did speak to Mr Kannan, reception Manager who informed me many british have mentioned this and they are in the process of making changes so next year this should not be an issue. I would like to mention Thomas Cook package is great value for money as it includes all al la carte restaurants, spa treatments (highly recommended) and many sporting activities, including horse riding, well worth it!!!

3 Thank Kath B
Cheshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had ten days at the Palm Royale from 13th November. We travelled with Thomas Cook and the transfer time was well over an hour as we were the last drop off. There was only one other couple on our coach and we were very soon checked in and accompanied to our room by the bell boy with the luggage. I had emailed ahead and asked for a low floor room and that is exactly what we got. We were ground floor looking left over the undeveloped beach and had a side sea view. The room was very clean and comfortable with lots of coat hangers. Very important to us ladies!

We dumped our stuff and set out to find something to eat. We were very close to the main buffet but did experience difficulties on this first visit. We could not find a clean table and when we did, we waited well over 20 minutes to have it re-set. This was despite having asked the waiter to do it. The restaurant was busy but we felt completely neglected especially when we saw another couple walk up and get their table set immediately. My husband got very irate and at that point, the table was laid. After we had eaten, one of the managers stopped by the table to ask if everything was alright. I told him what had happened and he could not have been more apologetic. We even brought over his superior to apologise to us. Thereafter, we never had any trouble finding a table. We went to the same spot and the waiter fell over himself to serve us.

We ate breakfast and lunch in the main buffet. We only had dinner one other time in there and did not enjoy the experience. It was far too busy as the hotel was full. They were struggling to keep trays filled as the demand was so high. We opted to eat dinner in one of the four a la carte restaurants. The reservation system was simplicity itself. You just asked the Guest Relation girls in the lobby to do it for you. No stupid queuing to book at table at the crack of dawn at this hotel.

We enjoyed all the a la carte restaurants but our particular favourite was the Asian. The service was exemplary in all the restaurants however and the food good.

The hotel itself is very ornate. There are murals, mosaics, statues and ornaments everywhere. It was fascinating to walk round and see something different everywhere you looked. Clearly, a great deal of money has been spent on decoration. As others have stated, the atrium is very impressive with live palm trees, coy carp pool and scenic lifts. On our last day, they were putting up the Christmas decorations. The santas climbing the palm trees looked very odd! They had erected stars and signs on the hotel roof and I am sure when it was all illuminated it would be very impressive.

We spent most of our days by the pool. The pool lad reserved our preferred spot everyday. The weather was lovely. Hot and sunny all day and less breezy than I expected. The sun disappeared behind the hotel by around 4pm and then it did feel a bit cool. We usually then went into the lobby bar for a couple of drinks before showering for dinner.

Each day we had a walk along the beach path to the left and went down the second jetty. We saw some amazing fish just looking into the water. We were lucky enough to see a huge shoal of literally thousands of fish passing by.

My husband took advantage of the free fishing trip with Thomas Cook. He enjoyed it so much we paid for him to go again on another day. I had a couple of the treatments at the spa. I had the foot reflexology and the anti-stress massage. Both lasted 30 minutes and were wonderful. Cynic that I am, I thought the free treatments might be an opportunity for the spa staff to try to sell more visits but that was not the case.

The one downside to our visit to this hotel was that I got some nasty bites on my feet and legs. Not sure whether they were mosquito or sand fly bites but they were large, itchy and unsightly. I protected myself with repellent at night and I think I was bitten in the late afternoon by the pool. My husband was unscathed however. There are large areas on standing water in the gardens and I believe this to be reason for the insect population. They were fogging but clearly it was not working too well. Another guest had the most horrendous bites on her legs. She needed medical treatment from the resident doctor.

All in all, we had an excellent holiday at the Palm Royale and I would not hesitate to return. My only reservation would be the insect bites but I wonder if it was the time of year. This was my 5th trip to Egypt and I have never suffered before.

Room Tip: The room we had which faced left did not get any sun at all. This would be an advantage in the hott...
1 Thank MrsKris
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

We recently stayed at the Palm Royale and I would consider it one of the best holidays I have ever been on. The hotel although secluded and therefore ideal for a fairly quiet holiday the hotel itself was amazing. The atrium was breathtaking and a great place to sit in the evening for a drink with the pianist in the back round. There is also another bar called Johnnys bar, this had a great atmosphere and was never overcrowded. The beach was lovely and the beds extremely comfortable with good sterdy wind breaks. The pool was also huge and although a little chilly due to it's size it didn't stop us and we had a fantastic time sitting at the pool bar with Beshoy! We also loved that there weren't many sun beds around the pool so it never felt crowded but people were never left without, it really was the best of both worlds. The dining options were faultless, with the main buffet offering different themes there were also 4 a la carte restuarants with unlimited use and although most of the menu was on the AI basis you never felt any pressure to buy anything at a charge. The restaurants were of a great standard and the food really yummy and we experienced no sickness what so ever! One of the best things about this hotel is the staff, they literally worked all day and night and were always on hand to help with a smile, Beshoy at the pool bar, Mina at the a la carte lunch cafe and George the pool guy really made our holiday! An added bonus was that they never expected a tip which is extremely unusual in these countries. Also if you book with TC you get some spa treatments and water sports included on your AI and they were of a really good standard considering they were free. I could literally go on and on about this hotel but the gist of it is I would go again in a heartbeat and would recommend to anybody prepared to listen. You must go...soon!!

Room Tip: All our Sea View!!
2 Thank Nicola S
stamford uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

So,our fifth trip to Egypt,fourth hotel and third location....better stop looking now as we have found the best place so far!....Palm Royale ,a former Intercontinental hotel ,has probably one of the most spectacular entrance atrium/lobby/bar areas we"ve seen...you feel you have arrived somewhere special from the outset. To be honest we had made several communications prior to arrival and were dealt with from the start with professionalism by MR KANNAN,Mohammed and Stepanka in guest relations who had far exceeded our desires in term of room location and a soft mattress...yes!,they really do exist and we were lucky enough that our room had been supplied with one.We had room1154 ,probably the room closest to the hotel centre and providing access to restaurants,bars and pool area with minimum walking required.
There really should be no reason for the visitor to arrive home with an unattended quibble since we were regularly asked how our stay was progressing and feel sure that had we had a problem they would have been dealt with both to our and the hotels satisfaction...it is obvious the property is aiming for 100% customer happiness and actively seek confirmation this is being attained.
So,what did we think of the amenities? Cafe Stella,the main buffet restaurant,provided a massive selection of foods....yes there were things we liked and things we didn't...main point we found was to get there in the first hour of the opening..that means before 8am for breakfast,before 1.00pm at lunch and before 7.00pm for dinner...tables are set,food still looks attractive,crowds are less...thereafter,despite the efforts of staff to keep up with the numbers of visitors it can get busy!
Other restaurants, a la carte and booked via guest relations for the majority of our visit are the alternate to the Buffet. We visited the Lebanese five times,the Asian Delights three,Greek twice and Italian once...all were visually attractive to visit but that's how our food choices worked out,well done to Nabiel,manager in EL TANNOUR who catered for our off kilter food selections and Tamer in Asian Delights who made us always welcome.
Beach visitors were treated well at Nemos bar and Pool customers in the Azul bar,also a lunchtime and afternoon food option...can't fail to mention EID ,who worked his charms on the ladies!
Most determined and happy staff award goes to the lad worked in the pool bar,I apologise for losing his name, but he's about one of the tallest lads in the hotel and covered miles from sunbed to AZul bar in order to fulfil our orders!
Ata night the hotel looked spectacular and pre dinner drinks were taken in Johnnys bar,great guys there too.....
Entertainment wise there is an active beach event list for the day,did not use personally,and evening has a lady playing most professionally on a piano in the atrium,football always on offer in JOhnnys bar...we did feel that there was something lacking entertainment wise after the guests have freshened up from the day and come back down for dinner...no "tw irly"man or belly dancing or other localised acts that we have seen elsewhere,no act singing on any of the terraces,which was a shame...there was a disco later after 11.00 but we never could last that long!
And,there I go, mentioning something I never said to MR KANNAN!..sorry!
My final point is that there is a wide European and RUssian mix of guests with all those odd national traits that we know and love....or dislike.....it seemed strange to us that people can order "two beers" "omelette,no onions,don't flip it".......but cannot add a "please"or a "thank you" to the hard working ,friendly staff at thePAlm Royale.....try it....you'll like it!!
Ooops....forgot George our pool guy,an ace with the whistle and a smile!

3 Thank chetz
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

we booked this hotel because of its easy access to surf and kite locations on the beach.
that was a good decision. but then...first: kite club reception was ice cold, my friend doesnt speak German and this seems to be a must here. second: prices prohibitively expensive. we went for the tornado boat which you can find a 5 à 10 minute walk from the Hotel and felt immediately at home!
back to the hOtel, buffet is rather poor in quality, quantity and diversity is ok but bread is like carton board, fresh fruit seems almost unknown in Egypt at least variety is poor.
evening buffet is ...well your usual canteen stuff.
hotel staff is busy dealing with our Russian friends and not very friendly.
maybe I was wrong expecting 5* quality, 3 stars seem to give a more realistic picture.
pool and other beach amenities are fine.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends