“Best holiday ever!”

SUNRISE Garden Beach Resort -Select-
Ranked #83 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I am back from Egypt - Sunrise Select Garden Beach Resort & Spa and I want to go back. It was really excellent holiday. Service was great, food was delicious, kind and friendly staffs. And really funny animation team - Kano, Nikol - Czech, Jeryy!
The great was that hotel have a guest relations in Czech. If somebody from Czech is not able to speak English, the staff solves every problem

2  Thank Petra S
mamloukpalace, Guest Relations Manager at SUNRISE Garden Beach Resort -Select-, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear Mrs. Petra,

First of all thank you for sharing your positive comment about our resort. We really appreciate the time you took to support our resort in this difficult time.

We hope that we can welcome you and your family soon again in your second home SUNRISE Select Garden Beach Resort & Spa and make your vacation even more relaxed

The hotel Management

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We have just returned from another fantastic holiday at the Garden Beach. As some countries had suspended flights in to the Red Sea area it was a little quieter than usual but still enough to meet new friends and not have to get up early for a sunbed ! Food is plentiful and varied lots of different bars and restaraunts to try, we loved ther chinese, mexican and italian, but the main buffet has always loads to choose from. Wonderful rooms very spacious. Fantastic animation team, Obama and his team pulled out all the stops to entertain you during the day, they all work very hard - superb holiday

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
gardenbeachresort, Guest Relations Manager at SUNRISE Garden Beach Resort -Select-, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Mrs. debra b,

The hotel Management

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Myself and my party which included my family have just returned from a week in this hotel.
Sadly none of us will ever return.
The hotel seemed to be a refuge for all of the Egyptians from Ciaro and the hotel totally tailor made the food and entertainment to satisfy them.
The food was so vile including in the on site restaurants that my whole party came home having lost weight.
I am 6 months pregnant and suffered terrible hunger throughout the entire week and on more than one occasion went to bed without dinner!
The swimming pool had to be emptied and cleaned due to the Egyptians allowing their children to urinate and soil in the pool.
I also witnessed a young child being resuscitated beside the pool as she had no arm bands on and there is no life guard....this has traumatised me!
I was continually hissed at by the Egyptian women,I can only assume because I'm pregnant and was in a tankini.
Whilst in the pool with my fiancé an Egyptian man actually began learing at me and making rude gestures which made me so uncomfortable I got out and went back to my room!
The staff at the pool snack bar continually ignored me and my family and would leave us until all of the Egyptians had been served before they got to us.

We met another English couple who had told us that last year this hotel had been amazing so they had decided to return this year for 3 weeks....they were utterly disappointed and felt exactly the same as us!

There were 14 people in my group and 12 of us were sick including myself and after being home for 4 days I'm still suffering with tummy cramps....not ideal whilst pregnant.

My list of complaints goes on and on....but the crux of this review is seriously don't go here...

9  Thank Victoria D
mamloukpalace, Guest Relations Manager at SUNRISE Garden Beach Resort -Select-, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Mrs. Victoria,

We want to thank you for sharing your vacation experience.
We are very sad that you didn't enjoy your holiday in our resort.

We are an international resort with more than 10 different nationalities including Egyptian guests.

We have a 14-day rotated theme evening in our main restaurant with a daily Oriental corner as of the specialties from the country. As Thomas Cook guest in our resort you have the luxury to eat in the evening in our a la carte restaurants and in the ones from our sister resort SENTIDO Mamlouk Palace Resort.

Our life guards are trained well and watching the pools continues. The parents need to watch their children but as hotel we will not let anybody drown.

After you contacted the Hotel Management we took your comments very serious and action was taken directly.
i.e. We opened the Italian Restaurant specially for our European guests with a set menu and a dessert buffet. Reservation in the a la carte restaurants.

On daily basis we came to you to check how you are and you were satisfied with the taken actions and felt a lot better.

Unfortunately you didn't inform us with any further comments to solve your problems

The Hotel Management

Reviewed September 14, 2013

This was our first time at this hotel and to be honest I was a little disappointed, the reception and lobby were really lovely and what I'd expect of a 5 star hotel, but the rooms had seen better days, old dark wooden furniture that definitely needed replacing, and the bathroom needed a revamp too, we had a shower over the bath with a filthy shower curtain that needed a good wash or better still replacing. The best thing was the air conditioning which worked very well. We travelled with my brother and sister-in-law who were staying in the Mamlouk next door and their rooms had been refurbished and therefore were really nice, they also had a walk in shower, so no manky shower curtain for them! If our rooms had been like that then this hotel would class as a 5 star. The staff however were really nice, always friendly and helpful and our rooms were always cleaned well.
We had trouble with our room key (swipe card), on 3 occations we got back to our room to find it wouldn't open the door so we had to walk all the way back to reception to get it sorted, not very good when its late and all you want to do is get to bed!
You can get free wifi outside the main buffet, on the terrace, but this could be slow if everyone's trying to get on it.
Due to the trouble they've been having in Cairo, and other European countries not travelling here, we seemed to be the only Europeans here and the hotel was full of Egyptians, now I'm not racist and I've travelled to many countries but I have never seen anything like it at meal times, (hence the title) they pushed and shoved to get at the food, loading plates with mounds of food which they didn't eat, leaving half of it all over the tables and floor. One tip, get your own serving spoon to use as they taste the food off the serving spoons and then put them back, plus they squeeze the rolls before they choose the one they want, after all this they then load more plates up with rolls and cakes and take them back to their rooms!
They also let their children run round like its play time, touching food which they're not going to eat. We ate quite a few evening meals in the themed restaurants to get away from this, and a couple of days before we left the Italian restaurant was opened at lunch times for Europeans only! This behaviour certainly put a downer on our holiday,
I must mention Mohamed Elsayed who worked in the Asian restaurant in the evening and in the beach bar at the Mamlouk during the day, he was always happy and friendly, and he always knew what we wanted to drink without us having to ask, and as soon as our glasses were empty he bought us another one straight away.
And finally if you're going to buy gifts or souvenirs don't buy them in the hotel shops, go across the road to the shops and bizzar where you'll get the same things cheaper!

Room Tip: If we went again i'd book into the Mamlouk, but which ever hotel you choose don't look over...
1  Thank greeniesuffolk
gardenbeachresort, Guest Relations Manager at SUNRISE Garden Beach Resort -Select-, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear guests,

We want to thank you for your feedback about our resort. We are very sad to see that you didn't enjoy your holiday with us.

We are an international resort with a lot of different nationalities including Egyptian guests.
Unfortunately you didn't contact anyone of the management to solve your issues on spot.

Our room cards are very sensitive for electronic devices as mobile phones, laptops ect...

We hope that we can welcome you again and give you a positive impression about our resort.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

The weather of Hurghaa was wonderful, really saved the trip, but the hotel: 1-clean, 2- friendly stuff, 3-the quality of food was bad, 4- the front desk employees aren't professional, 5- the animation team is good

Dear Mrs. Diana,

We want to thank you for sharing your holiday experience in our resort. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay.

We have a 14-day rotated theme evening in our Main Restaurant and 4 a la carte restaurants where you can go unlimited on reservation. We are sad to read that you didn't enjoy the food.

Unfortunately you didn't contact anyone of the management to solve your problem on the spot.

We hope that we can welcome you again and give you a perfect stay.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was our second stay at Sunrise Garden, having visited 3 years ago.

The hotel has had a re vamp and the main lobby is beautiful. The rooms were also redecorated but the mattresses were still quite hard.

The hotel and grounds were incredibly clean and the gardens were manicured to perfection. The house keeping service was exceptional, our room was cleaned to a very high standard.

Due to the recent problems in Cairo the hotel was very quiet, which meant there were no problems getting a prime spot by the pool of your choice. However, as the hotel was quiet they offered good value breaks to Egyptians (mainly from Cairo). I have to admit I have never encountered so many rude, selfish and greedy people in my life. Worse still a majority of Egyptian men were very intimidating towards myself and 17 year old daughter. They followed us around the resort and despite being asked to leave us alone they continued to hang around. What was really unacceptable was the fact they kept taking our photograph despite our objections. I did inform the staff and they were very helpful and advised us to contact them directly if we were uncomfortable. There were times when we regretted travelling to Egypt because of these men and I would recommend women think carefully about whether they would be happy to tolerate this.

The food was not as varied as the last time we stayed and I wonder if that was because the hotel had a low occupancy and therefore they cooked less. Generally the food was nice and well presented.

The best thing about the hotel is definitely the staff, they would do whatever they could to ensure you were having a great holiday. At lunch time Mustafa made the most amazing pizza's in the outside oven. The bar and restaurant staff remembered you and what you liked to drink and were always poised to serve you with another drink.

The reception staff remembered our name and room number and made it their mission to ensure we were well looked after and happy.

We had a treatment at the Spa, it was clean and quite grand looking but the floors were so slippery, we both nearly fell over a couple of times which didn't help us relax! Also the massage was supposed to last 45 minutes but it was nearer 20 minutes which was disappointing.

Despite the problems with the Egyptian men I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for sharing your vacation experience.
We are happy to see that you enjoyed your holiday in our resort.

We have for the dinner a 14-days rotated theme evening and 2 a la carte restaurants. As guest of SUNRISE Garden Beach Resort & Spa you have the luxury to also use the outlets and facilities including the 2 a la carte restaurants from our sister resort SENTIDO Mamlouk Palace so that the guests have even more chose to have their lunch or dinner

We hope that we can welcome you again in our resort

The Hotel Management

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Well it was our second time in Egypt, first time we were in Sharm El Sheik this time we went in Hurghada. My first impression of this place is that Sharm El Sheik is like more ''modern'' part of Egypt and Hurghada is the opposite.

Hotel Rooms:
I would say ''standard'' noting too bad and nothing really special to point out. Well only 1 thing we were talking with some other family and they complained that they have only 1 small balcony, but if you get lucky (no idea how they decide this) you can get 1 huge balcony :)

Food:
Well this part will be a bit longer because this was horrible as never before. I don't even know where to start, the food was the same all the time and we were there 14 days so imagine that.
I was eating that stupid fish (I never ate fish again when I came back home and probably it will be a long time before I will eat one again) because this was probably the only thing that was kinda good oh yea and chicken. Otherwise no meat, and listen this, you know you are there 14 days totally ready to eat a chicken because you had it every day on menu and then they made ''special MEXICAN NIGHT'' and you are like WOOOW finally some thing new and what they did? -_- They took that only meat we had there they mixed it with a LOT of vegetables and said this is chicken - MEXICAN way, and what that actually means? 99% vegetables and 1% of chicken so what they did? They took they only meat we had ( besides fish) away and mix it up with vegetables so basically we were there eating fish for the rest of our holidays.

Around resort:
When we were first time in Egypt we went on all possible trips they offered us so we really saw all that important stuff you need to see in Egypt. And I can't say how thankful I am that we did that because this time there were some protest in Cairo (probably every one heard on news) so all trips which goes through Cairo were canceled. But that we didn't just lay on the beach and eat all 2 weeks we decided to go in some ''center'' near. Well it was ''Egypt style'' dirty, annoying people etc.. And yes this was pretty much only ''outside trip'' we went :D

Beach:
I kinda missed the coral reefs, I mean you can find a bit of coral reefs next to the bridge you will see on beach but it's not even close to the one in Sharm El Sheik which was so awesome.
But otherwise it was pretty nice beach, I mean you have that sand you probably always wanted, sun beds are also ''normal'' as any other, but make sure you get that blue pillow otherwise they are a bit hard.

Animation team:
And for the end, ANIMATION TEAM, probably the best I had so far. They kinda saved our holidays. Shows in that theatre are amazing! Really funny and animators did a lot crazy stuff (don't wanna spoil any thing because you really need to see it). But my favorite part was ''part with animation team'' I would suggest this to any young people who travel there ( with parents or alone or in couple) to ask animation team for this party because 3 days in a week don't really remember which but what this actually means is that they give you ticket its like (12€ I think) and they give you bus transport to the different clubs (each day 1 club) and welcome drink in the club, they party with you and even if you are totally wasted they make sure you come to the hotel safe so really awesome experience :) I wanna say big thanks to Ana from Slovenia she was really the best, and of course all animation team, Chris, Ebru, Ola, Mando, Amy, Anna etc...

That's it and please don't spam me with mails because I still got a lot traveling to do and don't really have time to answer on all your questions. I can't even write all reviews. So that review of hotel should tell you everything you need to know.
So my final tips:
- If you don't care about food and you just wanna have good time in Hurghada go for it!
- If you traveling in that month and protests are still going on be ready to not go to Cairo
- If you traveling with teenagers go for it animation team will make sure they will leave with BIG smiles and a lot memories.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
gardenbeachresort, Public Relations Manager at SUNRISE Garden Beach Resort -Select-, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Mr. Mark,

Thank you for your feedback about our resort. We are sad to see that you didnt enjoy your stay with us.

We forwarded all your comments to the department heads for improvement

We hope that we can welcome you again and show you our improvements and give you a positive impression about our resort