“Renovation doesn't mean painting walls only...”

The Grand Hotel Hurghada
Ranked #135 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Cairo, Egypt
“Renovation doesn't mean painting walls only...”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed in this hotel just one night (fortunately). The hotel consists of two types of buildings,...a new one which room numbers starts at 600's to 900's. And the rest of the hotel which is old and disastrous which I'm reviewing today.

Location:

The hotel location is average, it's on the promenade where you can find a range of decent cafe's or restaurants in a walking distance. and also relatively close to the airport however you won't be bothered by plane noise.

Rooms: (I was staying in room 249)

Rooms are very disappointing, they are 30 years old and not renovated, When I talked to staff there they told me that this has been renovated a couple of years ago....Dear management, renovation is not just about painting walls and leaving every thing else the same.

As a beginning the door knob wasn't working fine and it took me 5 minutes each time trying to get in the room trying to open the door. When I successfully get in, I found the room small and not clean at all as there is dust on the floor and on the balcony chairs. The room is equipped with 14 inches TV which was in "Black and White"...I'm serious abt that B&W with only 11 channels in Arabic, English, German and Italian.

The bathroom is small and very dirty. water mixers and towel holders are both rusty and the water sink and toilet are almost expired. Bathroom amenities are below average but at least are there. Towels were very old, had stains on them and I used the one with least stains on. They were over used and started to tear out.
For beach towels, they are supposed to be in a handbag in the room, but I found the bag empty and when I asked for beach towels every body in the hotel was trying to convince me that they are in the room...but it seems that it's my mistake and actually I waited for replacement but I didn't get any ..till check out :)

Sleeping quality is not terrible however it remains poor and the bed is small.

In the morning I woke up on the noise made by room service staff pulling and pushing noisy carts and they added to the noise by having some loud conversation going back and forward in front of my room.

Beach:

The beach is almost 150 meters wide, the beach is good but the sea beds are very old and some of them were broken. the sun shades are rusty so be aware don't hang clothes on them. Also no towels provided on the beach, either you have them in your room or you'd have yourself sundried, which is not bad btw.

Breakfast:

Breakfast is served in at least 3 different restaurants. The breakfast is as poor as the rest of the hotel facilities. the lack of hot meal options and the quality of the existing is poor. Just had bread, cheese and cereals which was ok and weren't bad.

Service is not good given that when I asked them for beach towels I didn't get them and the staff response was not positive. and when I asked once for someone to help me fixing the door knob, no one showed up till the moment I checked out.

Security people at the door are bullying each and every Egyptian getting in whether he is a guest or not. This is rude from them and this is different than applying security measures, no safety measures are applied however, they are just picking on Egyptian guests.

Again please note that my review is based on old building rooms. while I'm not sure if staying at new buildings would improve your experience as some of the facilities and issues are common across the hotel in general.

I highly don't recommend staying in the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank M_Fattah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Karlsruhe, Germany
Reviewed April 30, 2013

After reading many bad reviews of this hotel, I wasn`t happy we booked it in combination with a Nile cruise, but I was positively surprised. We had two different rooms - one before and one after the cruise. The first one was better, we actually got a free upgrade to a superior deluxe room. The room was simple, but nice, only the bathroom wasn`t the newest. The second room had the actual category we booked (superior) and one could clearly see the difference - this room was even more simple than the previous one, so far from being "superior", but it was okay.
This is a huge hotel which can be a problem when trying to get a place at the restaurant - it was usually very crowded, especially in the evening. The food quality wasn`t constant - we usually managed to find something delicious, but there were also not too tasty dishes. The service was okay, sometimes we had to wait longer to get our drinks, but altogether the dining part was okay.
The beach was nice, despite of the fact that the chairs were obviously not the newest. Still, it was a nice experience swimming and sunbathing there. The only negative thing was the garbage floating in the water (tossed from ships) from time to time.
The fitness room is a disaster - expensive and the machines are VERY old.
Altogether it was a nice holiday. There are for sure better hotels to stay, but I guess we still got a great value for the money we paid.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Unelma333
Portaferry, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

my husband booked our family holiday to Hurghada last minute we were taking our 4 year old and 2 year old with us and the grand hotel seemed perfect.
we arrived and was greeted by door staff who took our luggage from us straight away while we checked in, once checked in we made our way to our room and found our luggage awaiting in our room. very fast no messing about. we were also upgraded to a massive room, which was great. the hotel was fantastic, swimming pools every where children had own swimming pools with slides and water fountains. private beach on door step. the most importaint part about this hotel is the way they treated our children, they were so friendly and happy and treated the children like kings and queens. by boy who is 4 was allowed to order his own juice at the bar and would serve him like an adult which by boy loved. lol I would go again in a heartbeat I felt safe my room was clean, bedding changed frequently, thank you for a great time.
we will be back.

Room Tip: All rooms had great view as surround by private beach.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Summer L
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My husband booked this holiday in secret, for myself and our 2 children (23 months and 4 yr old) and our sister and brother in law and their 2 children (2 and 4. ) Overall the holiday WAS fantastic! We have been in lower and higher "rated" complex's, we feel this one was by far at the wrong rating.

Bad points...... not many English tourists, mostly Germans and Russians. However all the staff speak very good English.

Good points.....
Clean

Very very friendly staff

Pools on either side of the complex allowing you to dive straight in no matter where your room is.

It has its own beach which is in a beautiful cove, you don't get harrased by unwanted locals selling random goods. Only staff from the shops on site approach you, who are all friendly. The access to the beach is on the complex you are practically sat on it the whole time.

There is a very good children's play park on site with climbing frame, swing slide and trampoline.

There are a number of different restaurants on site, we went on the All Inclusive programme, we had access to 3 main restaurants, all offering something different, our children were happy with what was on offer, and trying to keep 4 very young children happy at meal times is no easy task. there is a beach snack bar from noon, so you don't even have to leave the beach to eat lunch.

The are bars all around the complex, so accessing drinks is great.

The Grand hotel is a must visit, a place the British need to see. The local shops are not as big as worry as places such as Naama Bay! The British people really need to travel more towards Hurghada, it is as beautiful, but seems more friendly (as we Brits like) than the typical Sharm area.

We will certainly re visit in the future.

The hotels restaurants manager was absolutely fantastic, the whole family including our children have left there with him in our hearts.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to the suites. They are double rooms with living area and. Double sided balcony. Ho...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
hull
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Read the reviews and did our homework.got a good deal and free upgrade to a superior room. 2 pools very clean. Beach was fab and again clean.lots of Sun beds so need need to get up early. Restaurants ok nothing fantastic but I found something to eat! Don't expect your food to be hot though :(. Lounge bar fab and most staff friendly. Most of the entertainment is in a ' tent' which was fine service not as good.only gripe is to many managers walking around looking important they are the men in shirts. Entertainment was fine. You must visit the piano bar she was fab. This hotel could do with a good paint as in some areas looked shabby. Bathrooms in the rooms bit shabby also. Overall I would go back as it was excellent value for money. Really enjoyable and relaxing holiday.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HullSues
Athens
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Grand Hotel is a very luxurious resort hotel, built in typical arabian architecture. The internal spaces are very impressive, with expensive materials, and lots of experienced staff ready to attend to your every need. In the evenings the hotel is at its best. There are performers in every lobby or public area. There are piano players, harp players, theatrical or musical shows etc. The hotel is divided in two parts with two main courtyards, each with a huge swimming pool. The first pool is circular while the otherone is built like a lagoon with river-like sections, islands, bridges, beaches, pool-bars and jungle-like vegatation. One could get lost in that pool.
It was my second visit to Hurghada (the first was in 2003) and this time the trip was much better. Being a dedicated and experienced diver, I travelled with a group of diver friends of mine in order to explore once again the amazing reefs of Hurghada. While Grand Hotel organises diving excursions, I would not consider it the ideal base for divers. There are far better resort hotels in Hurghada for divers. However, we did enjoy our 6 dives during our stay (especially Giftun Kebir, Magawish Soraya and Shark Reef). The boat was old but good and the food which was prepared on the boat was great. We had our own diving equipment with us, but they do provide if you don't. One of the days we took a quad-bike safari to the Eastern Sahara deserd as we had done on our first visit. It was a great experience to visit a real beduin camp in the desert, to ride camels to the nearby oasis and watch the sunset, drink coffee, eat and then dance with the beduins until late in the evening when we returned to Hurghada with the bike headlights on. Tip: choose a 400hp quad bike (not a 250hp) as they drive better on the soft sand and don't book the excursion through the hotel as it will cost you double. Book it on your own in one of the local hire shops outside the hotel.
For shopping in Hurghada go to the local shuk in the village. Don't shop at the shops along the coastal road where all the hotels are. The prices there are double and they don't bargain. In the village, you'll be able to bargain and get things at half of their initial price. Tip: when taking a taxi from the hotel to the village, choose the one with the lowest asking price, agree with the driver and make sure you make it clear that the asking price is for all the people, as they tend to try and cheat you by saying at the end of the journey that the agreed price was for each person only and not for everybody. At the shuk, don't buy the new handmade stuff. Try to find old antique artifacts (shisha etc) since the locals don't consider them as valuable and you could get them for much cheaper than the new ones.
There are many great shows in Hurghada. One of them is a spectacular open-air Egyptian show, with pyramids, mummies, lights, music and many dancers. There are many night clubs with traditional belly dancing for the tourists. Try to find the least touristc of those. We did find one on our first trip, but it had closed on our last trip. It used to be a huge beduin tent in the middle of the deserd a few km from the village. There were camels parked outside like harleys and you sat on camel-saddles. It was great. I'm sure you'll be able to find something similar if you ask around.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has everything, great location, good people, brilliant service and an excellent all inclusive package!
I am a self confessed fussy eater and i ate 3 times a day everyday, there's something for everyone. And lunch at the marina bar was a nice touch so you don't have to go back to the hotel restaurant.
Great service on the beach as they bring your drinks to you so you have to nothing apart from enjoy the sunshine.
Beach towels changed everyday with a beach bag was nice, Mr Ralph we called the man and he was one of the nicest blokes you could meet.

My advice would be to ignore the bad reviews and try this hotel out. If you want a relaxing break this place is definitely value for money. People are so picky, treat the people that work there as people and not slaves and you will have a brilliant time. They love the English so don't let us down, be polite, manners cost nothing!

Also when you get into Hurghada airport directly off the bus from the plane take an immediate left under the barriers to the 4 bank kiosks. Don't follow the crowd being lead into the passport control as you will pay a lot more for your visa. Once you have this walk to passport control and your away with ease.

For 31 im a well travelled person, and i would definitely stay here again and for longer than a week, it just wasn't enough.

Don't hate the Germans they aren't that bad you know, try talking to them they can be very funny!

All in all Brilliant holiday!

• Stayed March 2013