“Not 5* only 3* at most”

staffordshire
“Not 5* only 3* at most”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

16 aug 2013
On arrival at the airport first thing you need is a visa - as you enter go to the left and buy its cheaper than if you go straight to the main queue ,continue through the usual passport checks and on to the resort ( don’t pay for transfers its about 10 minutes from the airport ). On arrival all looked very nice rep was ok with info but just the usual about time difference and water ...on into the hotel, which all looked good filled out our names on a form and were issued with a room number and cards as we had 2 rooms for us and the 2 lads , the staff are prompt in taking the cases to the room which are quite large nice but a bit dark so after tipping the man with 20 le ( about £2) we settled into our new surroundings first port of call was getting a drink after a long hot journey .So we looked around the hotel and at first glance was ok ,then we found the orange bar opposite the main reception after your eyes adjust to how dark this is we headed to the bar and ordered 3 beers and 1 white wine ,the wine served from the pull into a small white plastic throw away cup ....mmm strange then the beers came exactly the same so we drank and I asked for the next ones in glasses as we are paying all inclusive this is a basic requirement for any basic hotel ,the reply shocked me the waiter said ( sorry we have run out of glasses ) .I looked around and could only see about 7 people in this bar when I asked how he said they only had a few glasses ..(So it’s the first evening I told my family, We have only just arrived ,let’s try the food), so off we went still smiling about our safe arrival on our holiday 5* lol...so off we went to the buffet well if your German you will love it, if not then good luck we got our plates got some food we could try to eat and started to look for a table ,there was none ,shocked again could not believe how poor the service was here at this so rated 5* hotel , I grabbed a waiter and asked if he could assist us, and the reaction I got was amazing he put 2 hands up in front of him and shrugged his shoulders and was gone .my jaw dropped it was crazy ,people wondering around trying to get a table standing eating food from plates in the palm of their hands ,we got a table after about 10 minutes roaming around ..I kept asking myself (were is the service ? the 5* service ),oh well first night I put it down to new arrivals and tiredness so after finally getting a waiter to get us a drink I said (lets try another bar there are a few ) ...off we trotted to the bar to the left of the orange bar it’s got a movenpick ice-cream cart next to it ,I held my wrist band up and asked for a drink ( the reply I got was strange ,the waiter replied sorry sir not all inclusive you have to pay ) how could this be all inclusive ? So we went outside the hotel walked to the right and heard live music ,on following our ears we found a lady singing away ,not bad, through to an open area ,a stage and a women performer we approached a man with a black small folder and showed him our all inclusive bands (Sorry sir not all inclusive but we can charge it to your room if you want food or drinks ) apparently this was not part of the hotel it was known as the grand mall and there was a pizza restaurant ,a steakhouse ,and another which was a Italian I think never saw it open so not sure. God was this a joke I thought as we agreed we all needed an early night so off we went .Next day we awoke nice and early got sun beds and went for breakfast , still smiling and marvelling at the fantastic weather ,at the breakfast buffet usual stuff omelettes cooks fresh in front of you ,got our breakfast and sat down ,free tables I thought ,but it was only 7.15am ,a cup of tea and some mango juice squash stuff although you will be offered fresh orange juice at a cost of 27 le that £2.70p per glass . Back at the pool that was a good size with a single small jet of water spaying up about 5 feet into the air resembling a burst pipe in the middle (could this be the spectacular water fountain advertised in The Grand resort brochure ? ) oh well maybe it get better later on I mused ..and guess what it doesn’t ,it actually goes off altogether at times ,so the weather and the pool all good ,during the day between 12noon and 5 the island pool bar was open for hotdogs ,burgers and kebabs the lads at last found something they liked and it was quite nice, the island pool bar service was really very good compared with the rest of the hotel so we tipped the staff regular and they looked after us .But the menu here was quite small and after three days you are looking at the same foods all around this hotel and the buffets ,there are 2 ale carte restaurants which you have to book for ,The Nigma and the Mediterranean but they are both ok the nigma has a belly dancer but its outside so you cook in the heat ,but the Mediterranean was inside and much better service than the buffets .Outside the main buffet there are cooking station which will cook stir fry’s for you pick your food and the Chinese man cooks it for you not bad for a change of taste but again always get a table first or you will be wondering around with a plate full of hot food and nowhere to sit .The entertainment at this hotel was none existent day or night .The buffet by the main reception ,the Marrakesh buffet ,And the pool bar are the only places you can eat while here all inclusive and the only bar is the orange bar where you can get a drink and this is where you get your water but the hotel only allows 3 small bottles a day per room (all inclusive eh ?) so on the 5 day I complained to the hotel reception about my concerns and they told me the hotel manager would contact my room at 5pm the same day to discuss the problems .
So I waited and waited and waited and guess what? No call so I contacted my red sea rep who arranged a meeting for us to talk all together and we did we sat I advised the manager and the rep the problems are not good for a 5* hotel and listed the problems.
The water restriction (not good in that heat).
The lack of basic items i.e.
Glasses in the only place to get a drink
Basic food and drink running out i.e.
Chicken at the stir fry station.
Island pool bar, Maracesh Buffet, Mahara Buffet. 2 ale carte restaurants. (ALL INCLUSIVE)
SNACK BAR, WATERFRONT, PERGOLA BAR, MARAKESH TERRACE, STEAKHOUSE. (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE)
Running out of drinks in the bars including the only sugar free drinks they did, Diet Pepsi (not good for my son who’s a Diabetic.
Ketchup..AND SO ON.
And about the lack of entertainment day and night, in the main lobby they evening entertainment for about 45 minutes a night but we could not use this as the bar charged for drinks not good, so I asked about the day time entertainment and the manager replied (we have music playing by the pool) i.e. a radio station playing from a small speaker.
All these problems on a regular basis, and his reply was fantastic he actually agreed with me , This was a bad hotel not 5* and not all inclusive he said ( I am so sorry for these problems but the hotel is trying to cater for bed and breakfast ,half board, and all inclusive and it’s not working ) WOW I thought not even a word to defend his hotel he just said yes this is what it is ,so I asked for him to write me a letter confirming these problems and he said YES OMG .I was amazed ,the rep sat there shaking his head and just like the manager agreed ,although the next day he declined and said sorry but I can’t give you a letter from the hotel surprise! he proceeded to offer 50% of the steakhouse and the Indian restaurants which I declined ,how many times I said (I’m all inclusive I have paid for my food once, I’m not paying again). The rep gave me complaint form I which I filled in and gave them back to him, he said he would send them to head office straight away. When you talk to the staff working at this hotel they admit it’s nowhere near as good as it is rated.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank bazilb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Good points first, the pool was very nice and the staff who did there best was very friendly and lobby bar area air conditioned to escape the heat that's the good and now for the BAD
The resort would just about make 3 stars in sharm el sheikh not the 5 that we was to believe the food was repetitive and most of the time the cooking stations had ques to wait for food the stir fry was the best station if any chicken was left and then had to wait for a chef to come and cook it.
The island bar during the day was ok if u like drinking from cheap thin plastic cups or you have to wait for glass ones to be returned and be washed even then you can't take them back to sun loungers only plastic was aloud to be taken around pool side the bar b que food was nice on island bar area i.
Sharif in tutti frutti bar was a super bar man I gave him a small tip for his service then he just kept the vodka pouring he couldn't do enough for you, if you make the effort with the staff here they will double the effort they normally would to make your stay a lot better, the rooms are ok big enough for us two we had a stafard room the aircon was not to cold either , the room attendant we had was very hard working to, if you tip small amounts it goes a long way with the staff try tipping in LE as they have trouble changing sterling pounds.
Mario the DJ was a comic to us he did his best to get people partying in club orange managment need to sort out the disco its a bit 1970s
The only way I would go back to this resort is if the management /owners did some major improvements, the resort does have the potential to make 5 stars but compared to 5 star resorts in sharm it did not come anywhere close.
If managment read this please sort it out as we spoke to lots of people and they had the same views as we did so we can't be the only people to moan about it.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank bluemarky
Murska Sobota, Slovenia
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed in this resort for one week. It is really nice, rooms are big, you have your own balcony. Bathroom is ok, but the bathtub could be better. Overall the rooms is very nice and comftortable.
Food in the restaurant is very good, also very different. You also have a option of a la carte menu (extra cost). We stayed there for a week, and we have a feeling, that we could not taste every food, that it was available.
Pool is the best thing on this hotel. It is really nice, also a lot of shadows around it, so you can hide from the sun if you want. If you wanna go to the beach, you have to go to the Grand hotel - beach is big, but the see is nothing special. There are no fishes :(
You also have free wi-fi in the lobby, but it is very slow and a lot of times overcrowded.

Overall, hotel is very nice and I recommend it.

Room Tip: Take deluxe rooms, not standard.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dejan32
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed at the Grand resort for 2 weeks. The hotel is very clean, food is very good and it varies from night to night, which means it's much better than other hotels where you get the same thing all the time. The pool area is beautiful and exquisitely clean (cleaned all day long), the staff are so hardworking and friendly, and there is daily and nightly entertainment (during the day live violin/saxophone/flute, during the evenings live singing, belly dancing, folk shows, sword swallowing (!), acrobatics, etc...). The rooms are very clean. The only negative is that to get to the beach you have to cross the street and go through another hotel to get to the beach. But it's just a 3 minute walk so it's ok.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Firouzeh1
essex
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed here whilst it was all inclusive , it was fantastic , not many 5 star hotels in Egypt are truly five star but this was super clean, good service and great food

Would return if they went all inclusive again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PerryWright
Gothenburg
Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you are looking for a nice hotel with everything you need this is a perfect place. The All inclusive restaurants serve a big varity of food, the pools are clean, the rooms spatious and the service staff are kind
and alert. The area outside the hotel is a bit annoying with all salesmen and turist shops but for a week not looking for anything else than sun and a nice
place to stay The Grand resort is really good
value.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Lisa J
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Excellent service, great help, very friendly. Loverly rooms. Please be aware of the taxis out side the hotel they are nothing to do with the hotel but taxi drivers will try con you or trick you to change some money and then say you give them the wrong note so please be aware. Apart from this our holiday was very good stress three holiday.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple