“The staff is smiling”

Ranked #68 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Birkeland, Aust-Agder, Norway
“The staff is smiling”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Yes... after the 6 trip to hurghada it never fails... we feel so welcome and are treated like queens..... this year I just have to drag the guys in Tutti Frutti bar out in the light... we felt so relaxed in their company.. we even upgraded out trip to all inclusive just to get there... Kepp on smiling guys.. I saw that the bar needed upgrade due to the fact that the staff had alot of take away and in the morning had to bring back to the bar.... Should be easy with an elevatorthing that elevated the bar up in the roof... but then again watt do I know about life in Egypt.. Will be back next year :-)

Room Tip: room 2136 best for us but.. you could see strait into the room from the bar....
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I stayed at The Grand Resort in October with my daughter and what a fabulous time.

This Grand Resort is one of the best we've visited. The hotel all around is very good

This is a truly and fantastic 5 star resort. We really had no complaints. The food was better than most resorts we've stayed at, and we did not eat any meat. Lots of choices for seafood and vegetarian. The desserts are amazing too! All restaurants were of a good standard we especially liked the Mediterraneo restaurant, I would not miss out on the El-Nigma restaurant (Oriental) as the service was excellent, food were delicious and a real must to be there

Bars for drinking were good Orange Bar and Tutti Frutti snack bar, we especially loved the Orange bar we had great service from the boys Ali, Mohammed and Ahmed they made us feel welcome & always with a big smile.

The pool boys are also good always got the spot you wanted to sunbathe, just give a little tip and they will look after you.

Rooms are big & spacious and always very clean. The room has a safe for free

It is very safe to walk outside of the hotel on the beautiful promenade. The mall has goods entertainment programs. The shows were also very well done, with some really talented people.

All in all great hotel and staff would definitely go back. Don't hesitate to book this resort...you wont be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Angelica Z
Newquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The Hotel itself was nice, The room that we stayed in however was a bit dated. The food was good, with a huge choice. the beach was across the road through another hotel which was the sister hotel, however it's not too far to walk across and the two hotels are effectively merged as one anyway. In peak season get up early and bagsie your sun beds with towls otherwise you won't get one in a good spot!

we went on the snorkeling trip which was brilliant, really worth it - best day of the holiday! the other trip we did was the desert safari which was fun but far more set up as a tourist processing centre - still not bad though. all in all the whole red sea coast only exists in it's developed state because of tourism so expect to be confined to your hotel unless on an organized trip out

-Just some general advice if you do venture out your hotel watch out for the hawkers the only way to avoid them is not to make eye contact and just keep walking. The three languages they know are English, German and Russian so pretend you are from somewhere else I found saying Mi Polski got rid of them as they don't know polish (yet)! also DO NOT go into any perfume shops, they are the biggest scam in Egypt!

If you are looking for a nice relaxing resort based holiday with good weather and good organized trips then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room facing the pool - nearly all do but the ones that don't look out onto a...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Ok so a Holiday to Egypt Hurghada… Hmm well I was trying to put a good spin on the idea and thinking I could do with the sun, sea and sand! Well I only got the sun which was very nice and relaxing I will admit. However apart from that I was thoroughly disappointed I will be honest. But I will state that it did have some really amazing parts.

The Hotel Grand Resort was outstanding in its decor, design and the pools were amazing. I felt the pool was one of the best I have every had the pleasure of relaxing and paddling around in (Very cold though). The room was simply yet still had the wow factor. Looking like a genuine gem in all without being tacky. Also having a trip to the New Marina was worth the 20 Egyptian pounds (No more people) which had a good night life and bars that made you feel like you were on holiday. The amazing part of the holiday apart from my lady was the snorkelling Dolphin excursion. (Sceptical again that no dolphins were going to be seen). We were up early and were ready to dive in. The boat had amply room and the crew and excursion staff were superb. Taken to one dive point where coral and fish were in amply supply. Then off to a desert island for an hour which was perfect, very picturesque. Then onto another dive sight where fish, beautiful jelly fish and even a sighting of a shoal of baby barracudas!! So then on our way home but to our amazement a shout went up, “Dolphins off the bow” Pictures prove it and they even gave a few jumps for us. Priceless.

So now I have got the amazing parts out of the way onto the negatives I’m afraid. All inclusive.. Not all as only some bars/restaurants were applicable. Also only open at set times. Needing reservations for the restaurants before at least 1pm. One of the restaurants which could be used could only be used once but another could be used always and this was the best there offering great service and good food.
Otherwise you can look forward to a buffet dinner or outside the hotel with options very limited. The staff were persistent in an annoying way and very rude at times.. I will not say anymore as some did have some quality but overshadowed by the bad im afraid. The drinks were free but only at bar opening times and even then you literally had to beg for one. Also always ask for it in a real glass not a plastic cup which they attempt to palm off on you. The beach in the resort across the road is the sister hotel with a beach… Well not very good and completely artificial im afraid. But the sea was warm and worth a plunge.

Right now onto what you can do…. Sunbathe and well sunbathe if that’s what you like perfect but very little culture or sights to see unless your willing to pay for the 10 hour round coach trip to Cairo. Which was not what I had in mind. Plus down in the main high street near the marina we had a run in with the locals who how can I say just wanted our money and fair play but it did seem very pushy!
So as much as I was relaxed and tanned I felt the area and some staff (SOME) let it down. Oh and a big shout to the mosquitoes who bit my other half to bits. Insect spray at night… needs to be industrial strength people as normal high street brands don’t make the grade im afraid.

So all in all Egypt would be worthwhile if more to do have heard its better at Sharm im afraid… MISS me thinks
(Oh and the photos i posted look good as they include all the good bits.. But if you really want to go am sure you will have fun but be warned Happy Travels)

Room Tip: Well the standard rooms are more than adequate.
3 Thank Steve412
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2011

First time in Hurghada staff very helpful,TuitiFruiti bar was good, it's what we expected of Egypt
Pool was huge, but unexpectedly chilly as was the sea, though we soon acclimatised to both,enjoyed our stay ok for a last minute break.

Room Tip: Worth paying alittle bit more for the junior suites
Reviewed October 25, 2011

I don't tend to write reviews but felt I should do after spending a great week at the Grand Resort, Hurghada. So here's my absolute honest opinion.

First off it's classified as a 5 star hotel however I would be more inclined to give it a good 4 stars. The hotel was lovely and the staff were great, but there were a few minor details that I think kept it from being 5 stars.

Our room was lovely and upon arrival we were upgraded to a junior suite free of charge. This was a lovely surprise and our room was very spacious and clean, the bed absolutely huge and comfortable. Upon closer inspection some aspects of the bathroom could do with a little touch up (tilling was a little messy - not what you'd expect from a five star) but all in all a very nice room.
Rooms come equipped with hair dryer, mini bar (which you can pop your own drinks in to keep cool. They didn't seem to have a problem with this) and tv set (albeit mostly German channels) Towels are changed depending on whether you leave them on the floor or hang them up. Leaving them on the floor of the bathroom indicates that you would like them changed. In the interest of the environment we requested that our towels were changed only a few times during the holiday, but you can have them changed every day if you wish.

The grounds themselves were really nice. I especially liked that although there is a huge number of rooms, you didn't feel like you were staying in a big impersonal holiday complex. There were plenty of sun loungers to go around and we never had any trouble finding a couple together. Even when heading down to the pool at around 10:30 or 11am, there was still space. The pool itself however (we only ever used the bigger pool) was very very cold!

On to the all inclusive. I've seen various people say it's a bit too confusing but as long as you pay attention to the welcome meeting and the prints you are given on arrival, it's not too confusing. The main thing to remember is that you can always get meals and drinks included in the buffet style restaurant next to tutti fruit, breakfast in both this and the main dining area on the other side of the complex and drinks are always free at the Tutti fruitti and Club Orange. I've seen a few people complaining that the tutti fruitti bar closes at 10pm but when you consider it's surrounded by lots of rooms, it's understandable. Club Orange is open until midnight I believe but only really good if you're quite partial to cheesy European dance music. You can also sit outside at Club Orange. The service here isn't as good as the Tutti Fruitti bar so we avoided this one mostly and preferred to just pay for drinks at one of the other bars. At around 27 Egyptian pounds, this isn't exactly extortionate. There is also a couple of other bars dotted around and they're fine if you want to buy a bottle of beer and take it back to your room. As part of the all inclusive packaged you have a meal at both the Steal House (It's labelled as XXL but look for Goucho's just to the side of the hotel along the under cover walkway. This was a bit confusing for us). We expected just a steak dinner and that was that. What we had was a four course meal (Salad, soup, steak with potatos and salad and fruit salad pudding) so it was a lot more than I was expecting and the steak was really juicy and tender. You only need to pay for drinks. We indulged in drinks a little more than we did most nights and left a generous tip as the service had been so good. You also have a similar deal at the Indian restaurant but we didn't dine here so can't comment on that.

The staff were all really great and I echo everyone's comments about the guys at the Tutti Frutti bar. They really looked after you and once you'd ordered your first drink up at the bar, they always made sure you were kept topped up (even if you try to insist you're only staying for one! :p ) We spent most of our evenings there having a couple of drinks after dinner and it was a great way to end the evening. They also have waffles every afternoon which are also included and are an absolute must!

The evenings entertainment was a bit hit a miss. The first night we had some Russian dancers which were ok, and the men certainly seemed to enjoy them (if you catch my drift) but the highlight of the week was the snake charmer and the traditional shows.

Day trips - I highly recommend the Paradise day trip. The guides really put a lot of effort into making sure you have fun and got the most out of the trip.

One point about venturing out of the hotel. We really only did this a couple of times. It is true when people say you will be hassled a lot! And it does get very irritating. There isn't really any way to avoid this unless you want to stay in the hotel complex the whole time. The important thing to remember is that while it may seem a bit intimidating, they really mean no harm and are just trying to make some money, so be polite but firm if you are not interested.

One last point about the infamous 'Gyppy Tummy'. I managed to go the whole week without contracting any stomach related illnesses so as long as you're careful about what you eat and drink (no tap water and avoid having ice in your drinks) and keep some hand sanitizer on you to keep your hands clean, you should be ok. Remember this is Egypt and not Europe so extra care has to be taken about what you eat and drink.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Just returned from a week at the Grand Resort. For an all-inclusive you couldn't ask for more.
We had a very good time and would really reccommend the "Tutti Frutti" bar on an evening. The lads work hard and play hard, would go again and again and again.

Paul & Clare