“Fantastic service, we loved it and we´ll be back!”

The Grand Resort Hurghada
Ranked #68 of 222 Hotels in Hurghada
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Fantastic service, we loved it and we´ll be back!”
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We had a great holiday in Hurghada. This is thanks to the hotel Sungarden grand resort. We received a fantastic response from day one. Our room was really nice. We had a suite overlooking the pool. In the evening it was very romantic to sit on the large balcony and look out over the hotel area which was fantastic enlightened. Hotel restaurants all had large selection and first class service. We sat by the hotel's main pool which also had a bar where you could order food and drink, although there was the service great. The hotel was clean and nice. We took many massages in the spa department and was very satisfied. In the evenings we often sat in the bar, listening to live music and just enjoyed the atmosphere. This hotel had everything, we recommend it really. We will go back there again soon! Thanks to Mr. Amr Abdelmonem with staff for an unforgettable experience.

2 Thank fia1982

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
swindon
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We landed to 37degs temperature in the evening and wondered whether it was a wise choice for us but you do adjust as long as you pace yourselves. Don't walk like we did to a shopping centre (turn left out of hotel) to Ramstore! It is 40mins there and back again. Take a taxi which will roughly cost you 10 egyptian pounds but agree price first! Our lovely driver waited for us so we gave him more each way although he was expecting the agreed price. He also gave me a keepsake which I thought was cute. It looked like a 'cross' but he called it a 'chrystal' for me! Room spacious and quiet. Does get on your nerves when the housekeeper keeps knocking to ask if the room is ok. May have just asked for a tip and be done with it! Food plentiful and good on the whole. Too many flies around the food which is a bit off putting. Omelette chef in the morning is lovely. Try and find Ayman Said to be your waiter (they have their own sections) who can't do enough for you and will look after you royally. The pool guys will make sure your loungers are where you want them to be each day for a small tip of course. The water was too cold for me but my husband found it refreshing and ok once you'd got over the shock! There was construction work on a smallish scale which I think was bad for June. They weren't particularly noisy but it was unsightly and occasionally blew dust and sand around which would have annoyed me if I'd been relaxing nearby. We don't bother with the entertainment so I can't comment. Do go for the steak dinner in a restaurant nearby which is part of the all inclusive deal. Best steak we've ever had! Like cutting through butter and so tasty, Yum! Reception staff always helpful. The locals are friendly and love to banter and haggle of course. You must accept that as part of your holiday otherwise don't go! We travelled with Red Sea Holidays who were very good. We flew with Monarch, although the seats were so close together so wasn't that comfortable and I'm fairly short. The inflight meals were surprisingly good too! After a smooth journey through passport control etc, several staff met you to direct you through to the transfer coach.Very well organised. Your luggage is collected from your room on departure and we were allowed to keep our room until we vacated about 2pm which was wonderful. However, you do have to find your own luggage from outside the hotel and load onto the correct coach which let it down. A small point but niggly. All in all a very restful holiday in an excellent hotel. Not much for children to do mind although we did see a few having fun in the disco of a night dancing with entertainment staff to actions and moves etc. The Orange Bar staff are rather poker face but I did manage to get one of them to smile in the end!!!!! You won't be sorry to book a holiday in this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 2128 was quiet
Lillehammer, Norway
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I am well traveled, not spoiled, picky and I have not hesitated to give exellent revievs previously.

My summary of my experience at the grand resort :

- room was ok. Pillows were thin and hard, and Im suspecting that some blankets is not too often cleaned as I got bugbites from sitting on it. (By mosquito-spray before arriving!!)
- service was ok.
- Pool was good, but the beach was better. worth the walk.
- Extreme ammounts of nagging and pushing both at the pool and beach. At the beach they ask every 10 minutes the whole day if you want drinks and massages. they are so many that saying rudely no once wont make it stop. At the pool they try to sell you massages and drinks.
- water and sodas are 8 e.p at the hotel, and 1 e.p at the stores. I whent shopping at one store by the hard rock cafe.
- Had breakfast and dinner included. Ended up eating out 4 nights because the food didnt appeal to me.. As I said, Im not a very picky eater.
- DO NOT buy drinks from the bar in the grand mall right next to the resort. They put tapwater icecubes in it and god only knows what else. I thought they used bottled water in them as one might expect from a 5 star resort, but I learned my lesson as I struggled with stomache cramps, diharrea and vomiting for the next two weeks.
- Im also used to pushy salesmen, but these ones were beyond pushy. We had to take a taxi for a 10 minute walk because of the salesmen. When you dont go into every store and so on they scream, pull and yell mean thing to you. i.e. me and my boyfriend "looked like we came from a zoo" because we wouldnt check the stores out.
- The taxi drivers also try to make appointments for picking you up. I didnt really want an arrangement like that, but he kept pushing so we agreed he could come back an hour later where we got dropped off. 15 minutes after we got out we whent home since the area didnt have any good shoppes. The next night my boyfriend was going to a store across the road to get water, and the cab driver from the next night was there waiting for us. He made up a riddiculous story about waiting for hours, getting fired and basicly threathened my bf to give him 50 e.p for what originally was a 5 e.p. drive. Very unpleasant.

As you understand I wont recomend this place to anyone really. But if you really want to go to hurghada, the grand resort is better than most other options.

Make sure you dont mix 50 cent e.p. and 50 e.p taxi drivers will often try to scam you.

2 Thank kathakv
Cambridge
Reviewed June 27, 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Grand Resort for a week in June and had a great holiday. The hotel is very pretty and romantic in the evenings. We stayed in a junior suite, it was a very big room and the best thing about it was the large terrace overlooking the pool. The swimming pool was the best I've seen in a hotel, very large and attractively designed. We were all inclusive so ate in the buffet restaurant most nights, food was tasty and usually hot enough. Large selection of hot food with lots of lovely breads, salads and desserts. We sat outside on the restaurant terrace when we could as this was much more relaxing than sitting inside. Service was good and generally fast, even for all inclusive customers. We also ate at the steak house and the indian for one night, both were ok. We spent a little extra (~£10 pp) to go to the Nigma oriental night on our last evening, would really recommend this, the food was really lovely, so filling and belly dancer, live music and shisha were included.

Hurghada as a resort is not great, half built buildings everywhere and there is a lot of rubbish. However, as we went mainly to do our PADI open water course, the diving was great and we didn't spend much time away from the sea or the hotel. We dived with a small Egyptian run dive school 'Gulf Divers'. They were really great, friendly and safe. Would recommend for PADI courses and general diving trips.

Most people at Grand Resort are German and Russian but this didn't bother us. We had a great time and would recommend thoroughly. Booked through Red Sea Holidays - Good deal and well organised.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool
4 Thank Han7
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2011

This hotel is really beautiful especially at night, a lovely place for a honeymoon. The restaurant service however is poor, probably not enough waiters for such a big place. the food was okay especially if you eat the food prepared by chefs outside on the terrace. There was a wide variety everyday with something for everyone. The swimming pools and grounds were very beautiful and kept clean and immaculate. The rooms were also very nicely decorated however the bathrooms could be made a bit more luxurious to compete with other 5 star properties. The evening entertainment was excellent with something different everyday.I was there for only seven days so don't know if it is the same every week. The promenade outside the hotel was lovely for evening walks despite the constant harrassement by the locals to buy from their shops. I travelled with my daughter who is 3, she had a ball though the kids playground was old and unimpressive, there was free food provided for kids at lunchtime and ice cream and drinks throughout the day which was a nice touch.The kids club had mostly German books and was not particularly exciting. There were flies around in the restaurant as someone else had mentioned, which could be annoying but that is expected in Africa, the mosquitoes though were more of a problem. Ask for your room to be sprayed. The housekeeping staff were really friendly and did a great job, some of the waiters were very pleasant but a few could do with some more training. All in all it was a relaxing holiday but 7 days was just about right.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms very pleasant
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank nocran
kent
Reviewed June 13, 2011

we had yet a great relaxing holiday yet again .rooms just perfect and food. we have been four times now.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank valandy54
Laholm, Sweden
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed here last year and it was the best ever!! We got a beautiful room on the 4th floor viewing the pool-area, which is gorgeous! The staff is helpful and the area looks amazing!!! Very romantic, especially in the evening :) Love, love the restaurants with plenty of variety of food, you're not to be bored. The beach, which lies on the other side of the street, is clean with comfortable sunbeds and parasol. Love to visit this hotel again :) :)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple