All reviews aqua park pool bar jasmine beach jasmine hotel animation team fish foam parties aladdin hotel oriental restaurant beach restaurant choice of restaurants kebab great holiday the beach is great clean towels cleaned every day bottled water
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My partner had booked a 9-night break at the hotel to celebrate a special birthday of mine. Although I was a little worried by some of the negative reviews, I concluded ‘ooh some people are just so fussy, they need to relax and enjoy themselves.’ All I can say is……... what a very very silly mistake.

When we arrived, although the focus of the receptionist was selling an upgrade room, the process was rather smooth and pleasant. A nice man put our cases on a trolley, whizzed us through the hotel to our room, although he had limited English (Russian is the main language spoken) he had a bright smile and took time to show us the air conditioning buttons and left us to settle in (we later found out that the air conditioning only had ‘cold’ setting and was too loud to have on during the night). There were no facilities to make a drink in the room, which is surprising, as we have stayed in some really rough places, which have always had the facilities to make a cup of something in the morning.

We were disappointed with the room, which on first sight the place looked very dirty and unkempt, but was actually desperately in need of a total renovation.

The bathroom had been poorly constructed, with large patches of glue on tiles, areas were there was no grout, wall and floor tiles were broken, the mastic had been used excessively to bridge the large gaps between the tiles which was terribly mouldy, broken door stops, holes in the door, open plugs and rust on the fittings.... I could carry on. The toilet was dirty and although the cleaner came and scrubbed the room a few times, (bless him he tried his very best and was a credit to the hotel) but it was clearly evident that no amount of scrubbing was going to repair broken furniture and fittings, or get me to stand in that shower without rubber shoes on my feet without a tetanus injection.The mould was that bad.

The living area was furnished with a two-seater sofa (which was filthy) a round dinning table (but no chairs…………the table was placed in front of the sofa as a weird and unusable coffee table). The bed only had three legs. There was uncovered live electrics wires, broken lights that had been glued together and put back up at strange angles, the fridge was missing grills, there were cigarette burns on the fridge and furniture, the cupboard broken, indeed all the wood work in the room was broken, the tiles were broken and dirty.

Communal areas - we looked at the beach area, whilst this was disorganised and crammed with sun beds the area was in the main fine. We also sat by the pool, which this time of year was separated into the heated area, which was busy and loud with children/families playing, this area was the focus of the entertainment team with games of water polo etc. The rest of the pool was very cold making it unusable, but the side of the pool was fine with lots of sun beds.

We also visited the water park, which was a few minutes walk away. We were not allowed on some rides (as there was only 2 of us), before going on the rides we were told to remove different items of jewellery, which appeared to have no rhyme or reason other than being asked to remove one different thing on each ride (a simple rule sign at the entrance would avoid this). The floor was very slippery (they had clearly chose the wrong tiles) which had resulted in several men trying to get the excess water off the tiles. We decided it was best to leave before we ended up in hospital.

From the hotel the water park has unclear signage; you have to walk past the hospital that is attached to the hotel…a rather strange, run down building, which was in the process of being extended (at least it would be helpful if you broke your leg at the aqua park).

Whilst the main communal areas (pool/beach) were reasonable, everything else was broken, dirty and dangerous. Live electrics covered with tape. Broken signs with live electrics. Damaged walls (all the walls need patching and the full property repainting). Filthy and broken doors and tiles. Filthy windows and window ledges. The hotel needs a full renovation of rooms and all passageways and an uplift of the other communal areas. The staff need training and to be told to stop sprinkling cat food on the paths for the several cats that roam and use the hotel as their toilet.

Whilst some staff was lovely (well the man who took our bags to the room, and the man who cut our wrist band off as we left), the majority appeared to be rude, minimalistic or ‘jobs worth’. For example, when sweeping the floor the man walked along the path and swept occasion bits of rubbish, leaving the rest behind them. Staff stood doing nothing whilst rubbish was floating around their feet (when I raised this with one member of staff, he told me it was not his job). After seeing one member of staff rapidly and repeatedly mopping a specific tile, whilst a large quantity of rubbish was on the next tile, I was left wondering if the staff are allowed to undertake any task that is not in their direct remit.

Although it was 27.1.2019, the hotel still had Christmas decorations up – although this reflected the neglect the hotel is experiencing – at least these decorations were not dirty and broken so I suppose was the best thing in the hotel. We were told the decorations were still up due to the Russian Christmas, I think they were shocked that I raised that their Christmas was on the 7.2.19 and should have been taken down before the 27.1.2019).

In the main reception area the ceiling had damp patches, ornate wood was falling off the ceiling, really weird and dirty plastic flowers going up the walls, the walls were dirty which was raised with the manager - the following morning a man was attempting to clean each individual mark of the wall leaving patches on the wall (it needed a bucket of hot soapy water and a good wash down, then a tin of paint…... not a dry cloth).

The hotel had a bowling alley, ice-skating ring and snooker tables which were chargeable, therefore empty - such a shame as if they were included in the all inclusive package the children would have had activities to keep them occupied (instead of sitting in the evening looking bored).

The wi-fi is very poor and expensive - we was told to go to buy a sim card from a shop outside of the hotel.

Our son had contacted the hotel prior to our arrival to request a cake for my birthday – on the first night we returned to the room to find a cake (from the restaurant) covered in foil with a tea light in front of it. The hotel staff had tried but really had no idea about customer services.

There are three restaurants and whilst they have their own theme, in reality the food is the same with a slight twist for each eatery. Given the issues we had already experienced with the room/communal areas, the food was better than we expected especially the spaghetti station. The puddings were a little yuck (but I think that this was just my taste as there was a lot of cakes that were really just lays of cream). We also had lunch at the beachfront restaurant, which consisted of several live cooking stations. We chose burger and chips, which could have been lovely if the chips was not cold and the bread was not stale (they could have dealt with this by lightly toasting the bread). I have to say the pizzas looked fabulous.

In the dinning room, there were several things that were not pleasant. A man selling frozen drinks approaches you several times during a meal and was rather insistent, the waiter will bring drinks but it takes forever, the waiters chatting between themselves as they work (even if they are at a table with customers or considerable distance from the person they were talking to). An unkempt manager walking around with clothes far to small for his frame resulting in inches of his lower stomach being on show between his trousers and shirt. Whilst another manager walking around with a mug of tea in his hand, talking to the staff across the restaurant. There were strange plastic flowers on the walls, which looked like wreaths from a funeral. In the bread station an old paint container had been painted and had home made flowers in (I would have been proud if a 10 year old had produced this – but it had no place within a food display).

In the hotel people eat early, really everything is finished for 8 ish, although one restaurant remains open a little later it is not comfortable experience. There is no dress code…. One lady was wearing her pjs in a restaurant.

The drinks are hit and miss and very much ‘make your own’. There were some glasses but in the main coffee and soft drinks were consumed in small paper cups (clearly the guests were not entitled to a cup) but when I had raised the lack of cups, a tray of small cups appeared.

The first night’s entertainment was not pleasant, consisting of a woman on a stage attempting to do a belly dance with no lighting whilst a man in a leather jacket stood to the side of the stage with his arms folded (he looked like her minder or pimp). The second nights’ entertainment was a singer who was better, but this ended at 10 pm prompt... time for everyone to go to bed.

After attempting to make the most of the situation overnight, we raised concerns about the room and the communal areas, and was offered/shown two different rooms, which were no better than the one we were in, indeed they were worse as one smelt of smoke and one smelt of cigarettes. We expressed our dissatisfaction and was told we should upgrade rooms – I refused highlighting I wanted them to fulfil their contract with me, by providing a clean/safe useable room.

We were then asked to wait until the GM came to speak to us, he arrived around 30 minutes later, and proceeded to show us two more rooms which in the 30 minutes we had been waiting had both had cleaning crews sent to clean them. Sadly the rooms were as still dirty, broken and unusable (dangerous electrics) as the others we were shown. We were told we had to upgrade. I advised that I would not pay any further money to obtain accommodation that should be provided on arrival, and although the upgraded room may be acceptable to the point of me being able to have a shower, the majority of the communal areas would remain horrendous therefore we would find alternative accommodation and move.

The manager later telephoned offering a discount on the upgrade, which we refused (I really would not have given the hotel one penny more - the hotel is not fit for human habitation). Sadly the time it had taken to show us rooms and the difficulties with wifi, it was too late to move that day but I managed to book an alterative hotel and tried to book out the next morning.

The receptionist appeared shocked. We were told to wait. The man who had been introduced as the GM came and attempted to persuade us to stay (despite being told we had booked another hotel and was leaving). They then insisted that we signed a disclosure form that we were leaving due to personal reasons – I crossed this out part out and wrote why we were leaving.

We were then told that we had to meet with the GM, and was taken to an office were we was introduced to the GM (the person who we were told was the GM was a section manager (he and the another man present throughout looked terribly uncomfortable with what happened next)).

The GM was rude, abusive and aggressive, he shouted, he refused to speak to me as I was a ‘women’ stating he would only speak to the ‘man’ when I told him he needed to speak to me, he shouted at me stating I was interrupting him and not letting him speak. It was only when I took my phone out and overly demonstrated to him that I was putting my phone on record, he stopped shouting but still remained abusive throughout. We explained our view that a hotel needs to provide acceptable accommodation, but due to the hotel needing a total renovation it was not fit for purpose, therefore we have booked another hotel and was leaving the hotel. What a horrendous experience and a reflection of the true issues within the hotel.

The hotel has such potential but desparately needs renovating, staff training and new senior management.

Room tip: Avoid at all costs.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Business T
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We spent 10 days here. We upgraded to a pool view room that didnt cost too much. The room was large and accomodated all of our needs.
The daily maid was thorough with his cleaning and nothing went missing from the room.
The food was okay always found something to eat. The waiters in the italian and international where lovely and once they got to know our faces nothing was too much trouble, always found us a table and served us drinks.
The beach staff were the same lovely and polite.
The entertainment teams work their hardest getting people involved in their daily activities both on the beach and around the pool.
The water park is a lovely area for families to chill out for the day. It has plenty of staff ensuring everyone is safe.
Just a pity that there are not more english people go to this complex because the staff here have alot of respect for us.
Finally i want to express my thanks to the management and all of the staff for making our stay an enjoyable one.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank 988micheleg
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited Ali baba hotel in December and it was ok until our 5 year old girl who was left all alone in the beach by the kids club team! That’s right and it was shocking!

The kids were at the beach with the kids club team and I dropped my girl there and made it clear that I will be leaving and my child will stay in the beach with the kids club team members. I made sure I said it twice to the lady who normally looks after the children that I will be leaving.

The people who work there do not speak English very well. When I returned to collect my daughter in the beach I saw her crying all by herself whilst the kids club team members had left her there and went back to the hotel.

I was petrified to see her there all by herself and I was so relieved to see my daughter as she could have got drowned in the water or lost or missing!
When I went back to the lady to ask her how she could have left a 5 year old at the beach all by herself, she replied by saying that she thought I was coming back to collect her from the beach!

Absolutely shocking! I did complain to the manager and I really hope that he takes this in to action otherwise a child will go missing or will get seriously hurt one day!

There is no registration process to drop or pick up your child. in other words they do not know who is in or out of the kids club. Proper training needs to be done to look after children and how to keep kids safe.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

If you still haven't booked your holiday , please go for different hotel!
we have visited Egypt 3 times ana Ali Baba is a disgrace! Rooms ( we have upgraded) are dirty , old and in need of an modernisation!

If you care a little about Health and safety the hotel.is not for you! Electric wires barely covered with tape sticking out in children's playground , cats poo everywhere, broken tiles around swimming pool , rusted drain covers , covered with green fabric ( if covered) where children can easily fall in !!
And the worst thing we have witnessed in lobby bar...waiterss collecting half finished drinks/ beer / wine and instead of.chucking it away,barman only tops it up and serve to other people!! Disgusting!! Glasses dirty from milk ( they serve lattes and beer in the same glasses).

Food is awful! 3 different restaurants but food is the same in all of them! And pretty much the same every day!

And charge you for everything!.Cocktails 5 euro, tray of strawberries 2 euro, ice cream the same ! wifi terrible but paid 13 euro for.10 days with barely any speed!!!

I wish i have believed in the negative comments I have red on trip advisor before I have booked the hotel but I thought people are overdramatic!! Unfortunately this place is terrible!! Plus they only care about Russians and maybe Germans! No one else!!

And don't forget about tips! Of you don't tip they literally ignore you!

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed January 16, 2019

the hotel is a real family place,,good friendly staff,management,and entertainment.
come there now for 20 years and still loving it,getting better every time.
i think the rooms are good,i only shower,and sleep there,but there are allso deluxe rooms.
for us its our second home.
they are so kid friendly,fine beach,good food and mostly all the guest are nice.
i wont go anywhere else if i go to hurghada ,ali is the place to be

Room tip: poolview is good downstairs directly by all that you need
Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Azharmoominka, Public Relations Manager at Ali Baba Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Joyce, Greetings from Ali Baba Palace!
We are very happy that you enjoyed your holiday in Ali Baba Palace.
It is a pleasure for us to have such a wonderful guests like you.
Looking forward to welcome you and your family again.
Best regards, Hotel Management.